We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie!

Go down 
+5
The Cappuccino Kid
JayMoyles
Balladeer
masofdas
Axis1500
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie! Empty
PostSubject: CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie!   CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie! EmptySun 23 Feb 2014 - 15:11

Now, if you're like me, a few of the statements here will make your eyes roll.
First up, CONSOLE WARS, the book.

Quote :
Following the success of The Accidental Billionaires and Moneyball comes Console Wars—a mesmerizing, behind-the-scenes business thriller that chronicles how Sega, a small, scrappy gaming company led by an unlikely visionary and a team of rebels, took on the juggernaut Nintendo and revolutionized the video game industry.

In 1990, Nintendo had a virtual monopoly on the video game industry. Sega, on the other hand, was just a faltering arcade company with big aspirations and even bigger personalities. But that would all change with the arrival of Tom Kalinske, a man who knew nothing about videogames and everything about fighting uphill battles. His unconventional tactics, combined with the blood, sweat and bold ideas of his renegade employees, transformed Sega and eventually led to a ruthless David-and-Goliath showdown with rival Nintendo.

The battle was vicious, relentless, and highly profitable, eventually sparking a global corporate war that would be fought on several fronts: from living rooms and schoolyards to boardrooms and Congress. It was a once-in-a-lifetime, no-holds-barred conflict that pitted brother against brother, kid against adult, Sonic against Mario, and the US against Japan.

Based on over two hundred interviews with former Sega and Nintendo employees, Console Wars is the underdog tale of how Kalinske miraculously turned an industry punchline into a market leader. It’s the story of how a humble family man, with an extraordinary imagination and a gift for turning problems into competitive advantages, inspired a team of underdogs to slay a giant and, as a result, birth a $60 billion dollar industry.

Oh, so it seems to portray Nintendo as the bad guy. Oh well, its not like the movie adaptation's going to be made by a console rival or anything....

Quote :
Sony Pictures....

Oh.

Quote :
...and Scott Rudin (Moneyball, The Social Network) are developing Console Wars as a feature film to be directed by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg (Knocked Up, Superbad). Rogen and Goldberg are also writing the screenplay. Harris is serving as Executive Producer, and is also co-directing a documentary on the same subject, with Rudin, Rogen and Goldberg producing as well.

Joking aside, I'm intrigued by this but slightly nervous too. For a start, who's going to play Miyamoto? lol.

http://www.booktrade.info/index.php/showarticle/52436
http://www.harpercollins.com/books/Console-Wars-Blake-J-Harris/?isbn=9780062276711
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie!   CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie! EmptySun 23 Feb 2014 - 15:18

Nintendo was the bad guy though as it says SEGA was a nobody really whom helped making gaming what is with the 1st (& best) console war.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie!   CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie! EmptySun 23 Feb 2014 - 15:52

"The US vs. Japan"? What?

Anyway, it's all fine with me so long as they finish with Sega dropping out of the console market and Sonic going to shit. By which I mean, it would all be fine apart from the presence of Seth Rogen, whom I loathe.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie!   CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie! EmptySun 23 Feb 2014 - 16:00

I think it should mean Tom Kalinske v whoever was running Nintendo about USA v Japan.

Sonic hasn't gone totally to the shit some in recent years have still be good like colours and generations.

Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie!   CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie! EmptySun 23 Feb 2014 - 16:16

"USA vs Japan"

Are they genuinely trying to portray SEGA as an American company here?

Portraying Ninty as the villain... and it's made by SONY? Hm.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie!   CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie! EmptySun 23 Feb 2014 - 16:37

The 1990's Console Wars between Sega and Nintendo were nothing compared to The Weekday Afternoon Wars between CBBC and CITV.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie!   CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie! EmptySun 23 Feb 2014 - 16:45

Sega, CITV and WCW should all join forces and challenge the status quo again.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie!   CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie! EmptySun 23 Feb 2014 - 18:09

Nintendo did have a bit of a monopoly at the time but they weren't "bad guys", especially compared to Microsoft and Sony today. They were just the best.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie!   CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie! EmptySun 23 Feb 2014 - 19:00

They had a huge monopoly thanks to the NES, I wouldn't say they were the best. Also I don't think Sony are bad guys now MSoft maybe.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie!   CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie! EmptySun 23 Feb 2014 - 19:50

That whole write-up has echoes of Pearl Harbour for me. No

DIGRESSION ALERT: I watched Pearl Harbour in a French cinema during my year abroad. The audience applauded at the end of the film. Was it sarcastic? I'm still not sure. Shocked
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie!   CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie! EmptySun 23 Feb 2014 - 20:45

I'm expecting a lot of revisionist history to be depicted in this film.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie!   CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie! EmptySun 23 Feb 2014 - 23:07

Sony are okay, but there's some definitely evil business practices in the whole industry.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

PostSubject: Re: CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie!   CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie! EmptyMon 24 Feb 2014 - 0:50

I think Sony is going to find it difficult not to troll.

Film ends... Sega in tears. "If only someone could beat the evil Nintendo!"
Cut to... "What do you mean Nintendo isn't partnering with us to make the SNES CD? Revenge will be mine! BWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAA!"
Shot of factory producing the first PS1's.
*Hello, I'm Mark Cerny. Don't let the evil Nintendo win. The PS4's available now at all good retailers. #4theplayers *
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie!   CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie! EmptyMon 24 Feb 2014 - 4:49

There's a 3 episode anime with the same premise
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie!   CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie! EmptyMon 24 Feb 2014 - 7:49

And a slightly creepy series of RPGs. On Playstation only, natch.

Axis1500 wrote:
*Hello, I'm Mark Cerny. Don't let the evil Nintendo win. The PS4's available now at all good retailers. #4theplayers *

You'd have to laugh at the brazenness of that, though.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie!   CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie! EmptyMon 24 Feb 2014 - 10:59

The ending is going to be SEGA stabbing it's self.

I've always good things about neptunia, so much so I might buy it on VITA when it comes out. I do wonder who wins the war in that game though.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie!   CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie! EmptyWed 26 Feb 2014 - 22:57

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
The 1990's Console Wars between Sega and Nintendo were nothing compared to The Weekday Afternoon Wars between CBBC and CITV.
If ever there's a Smash Bros. to beat Smash Bros., it's CBBC x CITV (get photoshopping, people).

I've no interest in watching this bleddy Sega Nintendo thing; it still invokes a completely illogical feeling in me, that should have died out with age and common sense.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

PostSubject: Re: CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie!   CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie! EmptyFri 16 May 2014 - 0:29

So, the book is out in America. We in Europe have to wait until just after E3.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Console-Wars-Nintendo-Defined-Generation-ebook/dp/B00IQY2BLS/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400196236&sr=1-1&keywords=console+wars
Back to top Go down
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

PostSubject: Re: CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie!   CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie! EmptyWed 21 May 2014 - 19:40

So, interview with the author of the book....

Nintendo, unsurprisingly, wanted nothing to do with it and wouldn't allow themselves to be interviewed. Oh, and he wants Nintendo to release Mario for iOS and become more mature.....

I'm not very hopeful about this.... lol...

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/117841/sega-v-nintendo-console-wars
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie!   CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie! EmptyWed 21 May 2014 - 21:34

This is sounding increasingly terrible.  Neutral 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie!   CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie! Empty

Back to top Go down

CONSOLE WARS! SEGA Vs Nintendo - The movie!
Page 1 of 1