We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Astounding Multiplayer Moments

Go down 
+7
Rum
ZeroJones
masofdas
The Cappuccino Kid
Balladeer
Buskalilly
JayMoyles
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

Astounding Multiplayer Moments Empty
PostSubject: Astounding Multiplayer Moments   Astounding Multiplayer Moments EmptyMon 24 Mar 2014 - 18:54

...I couldn't think of a great thread title.

Nonetheless, inspired by this gifsound link, what moments playing multiplayer titles have blown you away, either through your own actions or the actions of others? It can be local multiplayer or otherwise!

For me, some of my fondest multiplayer memories were many many years ago playing an MMO called Runescape. I made two friends on there who I've since lost contact with, but we each played differently - myself a warrior, one an archer and the other a mage. We'd usually grind on enemies in the same area, take on a boss monster together or just level some of the more boring skills together. Fun times, even if the MMO itself wasn't fantastic in retrospect.

Let's hear some tales!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Astounding Multiplayer Moments   Astounding Multiplayer Moments EmptyMon 24 Mar 2014 - 19:10

Ooh, I've got a couple of great ones I'm sure. Whether I can remember them. . .
As I said in the podcast, we had some good laughs playing Smash Bros. The same lad who first declared time felching a crime had a habit of eating people as Kirby then jumping of ledges.
And I've told you all what happens when I have to play as Arsenal on FIFA, right.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Astounding Multiplayer Moments   Astounding Multiplayer Moments EmptyMon 24 Mar 2014 - 19:29

Buskalilly wrote:
And I've told you all what happens when I have to play as Arsenal on FIFA, right.

Not to my recollection, no!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Astounding Multiplayer Moments   Astounding Multiplayer Moments EmptyMon 24 Mar 2014 - 19:56

The one I always quote is being on the home stretch in MKDS against five friends and being hit by a spiny that dropped me into fourth about a metre from the finish line.  Then a red shell.  I ended up in sixth. Hissy fit 

As for good ones, playing SSBB online (on one of the few occasions that (a) I could get a game and (b) it didn't lag), I was Luigi, and Meta Knight had been granted a pity Final Smash (i.e. he was being rubbish).  He was staring out over the precipice at somebody he'd knocked away, and gave me (over on the other side of the stage) time to charge up a Green Missile to maximum and fire it into his back, KOing him outright.  Of course I did the Luigi dance taunt. Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Astounding Multiplayer Moments   Astounding Multiplayer Moments EmptyMon 24 Mar 2014 - 20:11

Love threads like this. Many-a-great multiplayer session with my mates when we were all growing up.

Favourite of all time has to be Wii Sports at Dave's empty on Hogmanay 2006. My first time playing the Wii, and I don't think I'd still be gaming were it not for that night. It was just brilliant fun, ten out of ten. I missed the chance of a knee-tremble so I could play Golf with three of my pals many hours after we started drinking. When I got my Wii in March 2007, it went to every empty I went to with me. I've got tons of Miis of folk I can't remember, if I ever met at all.

Another mate had what basically amounted to an all-summer empty back in 2005. Lots of partying ensued, but normally a GameCube - be it mine, a mate or some randoms - with four pads would wind up there. Hate the dick that spilt Rolling Rock into my copies of Double Dash and Donkey Konga 2 and left the beer the swim in the closed cases, but loved some of those WWE Day of Reckoning and NBA Street V3 tournaments we'd sometimes hold. True story: someone went through a window during one of our games of Beach Spikers. Honestly.

Just the once as far as I remember, but Donkey Konga in Dave's front room the summer after was hilarious. Eight tanked-up guys just going mental, singing along with 99 Red Balloons and the rest, and have a brilliant time. One went home early because the smell in the room was so bad.

Bishi Bashi Special tournaments at various houses were always popular. Perm, Jump For The Meat, Shake The Can Into Outer Space and particularly Hyper Pie Throw are still spoken of in reverent terms all these years later. It's a classic multiplayer that's easily in my top ten favourite games of all time, and it's all due to those sessions.

WWE SmackDown: Shut Your Mouth with my mate Jamie was always a good laugh, though it could get insanely competitive considering it was just a computer game. We settled the score during an Iron Man match. With dance mats.

~

I've not even mentioned Baby Park or Monkey Target! It's an absolute shame that we don't play games very often together anymore. I miss it.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Astounding Multiplayer Moments   Astounding Multiplayer Moments EmptyMon 24 Mar 2014 - 20:23

I have it pretty good, now that I think about it.  I was going to moan about how besides my parents, the only person I've played local multiplayer with in years is an appalling winner at Super Mario Kart (my first time of playing it); but actually, I played a few games with nupkin when we were together, and then ZJ and I played some Theatrhythm recently.  

It could be better: I haven't played a non-family member in local four-player anything since university.  But it could be worse.  I'm thinking of holding an MK8 event at around the time of my birthday: hopefully I'll have moved out of my parents' place by then.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Astounding Multiplayer Moments   Astounding Multiplayer Moments EmptyMon 24 Mar 2014 - 20:33

Good thread Idea Jay.

I've been thinking all day, as now nearly all my multiplayer action is online it's not the same it used to be back in the 90s/early 2000s. And doesn't have the memories like you has back then.

I can always remember everyone on the estate coming over to play the mega drive as I was the only one to have one, but can't really remember any story's like TCK in till the 6th gen.

When we used to play Smash Bros Melee and Double Dash on the cube with are own little league, also played of system link with the OG Xbox having the cable hanging outside the window so it could reach downstairs just to play Halo or Timesplitters 2 and stay up to 3 in the morning.

Did play in a Halo 2 tournament which was league type thing but we had a 8v8 CTF one off game (normally 4v4 in a league game), I always remember me and my mate which were on the same team normally anyway playing in it. I had the flag, and was right next to our flag spot but couldn't get the capture due to our flag being at the other end of Blood Gulch at the other teams capture point it was a tie game with mere seconds to go, then I hear the announcer say flag returned and I score the point we win. Who got the kill on the other guy none other then my mate.

Ohh and the guys whom ran that league did a fighting game tournament which you had to vote for a fighting game on each console, so dead or alive 3 for Xbox, street fighter II for SNES and so on. We did this knock out type thing, where we played 1 on 1 the same person on all the systems they had then you'll end up with a winning score of 5-2 and go on to the next round I got the semi final and lost to the guy who did win it. We never had a 3rd place fight off but it would of been me as I scored not one but two flawless victory's on Mortal Kombat II which I'm rather good at.

Hoping for some good times when I go Buska's and I play Mario Kart 8 with him and his mates.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Astounding Multiplayer Moments   Astounding Multiplayer Moments EmptyMon 24 Mar 2014 - 22:10

So amongst my friend group the standing rules for FIFA are;
assign players with a random left/ right movement on a count of three.
select teams at random
Drink a finger for every goal conceded/ ball knocked off pitch etc etc
Drink a can for every own goal.

So we were playing, me and baggage ended up on a team, he was randomising the team and landed on Arsenal. I asked him to change, implored him, but he declined. I would feel deeply ashamed, like I was betraying my family, if I supported the gunners in any capacity. So we ended up drinking pretty much a crate of cider between us over the course of one fifa match. Nobody who was there has ever asked me to play as Arsenal since Grin

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
It's an absolute shame that we don't play games very often together anymore. I miss it.
Hopefully by the end of this year there'll be more multiplayer Wii U games (and the ones that are out now will work). The few hunts i've been on with y'all were great.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Astounding Multiplayer Moments   Astounding Multiplayer Moments EmptyTue 25 Mar 2014 - 8:13

In my time I've played much more local multiplayer than online. The few forays I've had with online were mostly with you guys, on Wii Bomberman. Great times, those. The last online I had was a couple of games of Dr. Luigi with a random person.

Local multiplayer rules, and is almost why StreetPass City groups were invented (bar the flurry of hits, natch). I won a Super Street Fighter IV tournament at one of the old MeetMii events (that's going back) and, more recently, the StreetPass Manchester Tetris tournament - which I wasn't even going to enter until the lad I was sat with persuaded me into it! You'd be surprised how exciting multiplayer Tetris is. As mentioned, my only experience of multiplayer Theatrhythm was with Balla. I hadn't brought any headphones, which made it a little tougher...
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Astounding Multiplayer Moments   Astounding Multiplayer Moments EmptyTue 25 Mar 2014 - 8:54

ZeroJones wrote:
I won a Super Street Fighter IV tournament at one of the old MeetMii events (that's going back)

Ah really? Who did you play as?

I used to play a lot of Street Fighter IV with some guys from the old place, namely Grf741, SD Downs and on occasion a3HM would be there too. Grf was something of a Street Fighter sensei for me, as we'd end up playing for a good couple of hours without me getting a win, but slowly but surely I got better and better. Good times.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Astounding Multiplayer Moments   Astounding Multiplayer Moments EmptyTue 25 Mar 2014 - 9:01

I do wonder what became of Grf (whom I still have on Facebook) and Mr. Downs.  I suppose that they went full XBox and never looked back.

Is there a Streetpass London?  If so, I really should go there more often.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Astounding Multiplayer Moments   Astounding Multiplayer Moments EmptyTue 25 Mar 2014 - 10:11

Here you go Balla, we always get a good turn out at my local one. The last event I wento to was for Pokemon there was a good 30 of us.

So yeah even played some multiplayer there which include a bit of Mario Kart 7.

And if I go around my mates which not so often now, this is the trouble when you older you've got Jobs, WAG's etc to contend with. But when I do we play the N64 with likes of Goldeneye, Kart, Smash.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Astounding Multiplayer Moments   Astounding Multiplayer Moments EmptyTue 25 Mar 2014 - 10:25

Cheers for that. I'll do my best to come to one soonish - I don't know enough people with 3DSes, and I still have a good way to go on all my pictures.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Astounding Multiplayer Moments   Astounding Multiplayer Moments EmptyTue 25 Mar 2014 - 10:30

In my second year of university, my flatmate and I used to have this (superb) habit of finishing our biology lecture at noon, going via Tesco and buying those bags of big cookies, going home and chopping them up and putting them in a jar so they were bite size, and playing Mario Kart 64 for a few hours, working our way through the jar. We had biology lectures four days a week. We would quite often coax our other flatmate and her boyfriend into joining in so that we could have four-player sessions with cookies all the time.

I also played Trauma Centre: New Blood co-op with that same flatmate. She wasn't super into video games normally, but for some reason we clicked when playing New Blood (not exactly the first choice for introducing a non-gamer into gaming). Endless hilarity in suturing a wound by stitching basically from one side of the patient's body to the other. "Bad", the game said. "WELL IT WORKED WE CAN SAVE THIS CRUSHED NUN YET", we said.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Astounding Multiplayer Moments   Astounding Multiplayer Moments EmptyTue 25 Mar 2014 - 10:36

Balladeer wrote:
Cheers for that.  I'll do my best to come to one soonish - I don't know enough people with 3DSes, and I still have a good way to go on all my pictures.

On the site it shows about 9 members for the SW, but looking on the facebook page for them we've got nearly 70 members in the SW section which has sub sections like Somerset with 40 odd members (I'm a member of both), Cornwall and so on. Plus the SW is ran by Marti Bennett whom's name you might of seen on/in ONM. So she might be able to get the word out about it better then some.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Astounding Multiplayer Moments   Astounding Multiplayer Moments EmptyTue 25 Mar 2014 - 10:48

JayMoyles wrote:
ZeroJones wrote:
I won a Super Street Fighter IV tournament at one of the old MeetMii events (that's going back)

Ah really? Who did you play as?

I used to play a lot of Street Fighter IV with some guys from the old place, namely Grf741, SD Downs and on occasion a3HM would be there too. Grf was something of a Street Fighter sensei for me, as we'd end up playing for a good couple of hours without me getting a win, but slowly but surely I got better and better. Good times.  Smile 

I should be ashamed to say it but I'm not: Ryu. The players who were genuinely good didn't take part in the tournament, for which I won a 3DS case. They then entered a second tournament, during which we had to select our fighters randomly, and I got wapunga'd first round. Basically, I had the skill to beat the n00bs but no-one else! Embarrassed
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Astounding Multiplayer Moments   Astounding Multiplayer Moments EmptyTue 25 Mar 2014 - 11:24

Nice thread!

I'd always have great triple threat ladder matches with my brother & a pal on wwf no mercy, problem was I only had two official controllers so someone was always lumbered with the horrible 3rd party "super pad" even so a match would go on for hours with the Super pad player complaining throughout & to win you'd have to deal out enough damage to injure both opponents then knock them out with a submission.
The main main tactic I'd use was to make sure they were KO'd far away from the ring as possible so I'd have time to climb the ladder & win, there was usually some close calls as the downed opponent would button mash like crazy to get up & stop me.

Great times!

I'd say online MP can be just as fun if you know the right people as I've had some equally great times on gta 4/5 with Andyman, dusty & treesmurf also as buska briefly mentioned monster hunter is great, using Skype helps massively.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Astounding Multiplayer Moments   Astounding Multiplayer Moments EmptyTue 25 Mar 2014 - 11:26

Mehhhhhh.  It's possible that I just haven't played the right games, but without the face-to-face element, I can't see online being as fun as local, even with voice chat.  The flipside, of course, is that you each have to put up with a corner of the screen.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Astounding Multiplayer Moments   Astounding Multiplayer Moments EmptyTue 25 Mar 2014 - 11:29

Need for Speed was a lot of fun on the U, I'm hoping Mario Kart to be great as I never played it on Wii.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Astounding Multiplayer Moments   Astounding Multiplayer Moments EmptyTue 25 Mar 2014 - 13:03

Balladeer wrote:
Mehhhhhh.  It's possible that I just haven't played the right games, but without the face-to-face element, I can't see online being as fun as local, even with voice chat.  The flipside, of course, is that you each have to put up with a corner of the screen.

Whilst I do agree that local is lots of fun, finding a good group of mates to play regularly with online is a real pleasure. Having the whole screen and not being in an increasingly stuffy room helps too.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Astounding Multiplayer Moments   Astounding Multiplayer Moments EmptyTue 25 Mar 2014 - 13:12

The possible regularity is definitely another bonus, but I don't think online will ever trump local, for me. Both need a good group of people, of course.
Back to top Go down
Cube
Garreg Mach Geography Teacher

PostSubject: Re: Astounding Multiplayer Moments   Astounding Multiplayer Moments EmptyTue 25 Mar 2014 - 13:23

On top of NGamer Xbox sessions (most memorable Borderlands), one of the greatest multiplayer games for me was Burnout Paradise.

The best things about it was the co-operative nature of the online which still encouraged competition. For example, one challenge (out of 500) was getting a double barrel roll in one jump, except the display shows exactly how many you got. So instead of getting a double and stopping, everyone tried to get more before the last person got two (three was pretty difficult, but up to 7 was just about possible). Some challenges needed everyone to get a total amount combined (so, for example, a combined 8 miles driving in oncoming traffic). Everyone tried the best to get the highest.

The stunt run was also a brilliant mode, and marked man was great, especially when you agreed on specific rules (like "you're only allowed in the airfield").

The game encouraged talking, and most of the time it was a great community (especially with the easy kicking and being able to change it from open to friends or invite-only in the middle).
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Astounding Multiplayer Moments   Astounding Multiplayer Moments EmptyTue 25 Mar 2014 - 13:38

The_Jaster wrote:
"super pad"

FUCK YES.

I bought a GameCube version of the Super Pad, and always gave it to the same mate whenever we had multiplayer sessions. Even if the Wavebird was available, he'd always get the Super Pad. I'm sure the left input on the joystick only worked occasionally. We rechristened it "The Jamie Pad", with his name Tippex'ed on it and everything.

~

My only regret in not getting an XBox 360 earlier was not getting involved in the Burnout Paradise online community. I had such amazing fun with it offline a couple of years back, but the servers are deserted and I can't find a game with anyone.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Astounding Multiplayer Moments   Astounding Multiplayer Moments EmptyTue 25 Mar 2014 - 13:53

Ohh I forgot about Burnout Paradise, I used to play with a group of Yanks and one Canuck.
Back to top Go down
Cube
Garreg Mach Geography Teacher

PostSubject: Re: Astounding Multiplayer Moments   Astounding Multiplayer Moments EmptyTue 25 Mar 2014 - 14:24

The community was great for the first year and a bit, and it's so vital to the game that I wouldn't recommend it any more. Still, I got 1,000 hours out of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Astounding Multiplayer Moments   Astounding Multiplayer Moments Empty

Back to top Go down

Astounding Multiplayer Moments
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next