We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Generic General Pokemon Discussion

Go down 
+18
NintenDUCK
Buskalilly
The_Jaster
Jimbob
oldschool
JayMoyles
Crumpy Andy
Admin
masofdas
Zaphod_B
Rum
Vidofnir
Cube
beemoh
shanks
ZeroJones
Balladeer
Athrun888
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 EmptyMon 25 Sep 2017 - 20:16

Haven't we had new dog Pokémon for the last few generations now, though? I could have sworn there was.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 EmptyMon 25 Sep 2017 - 20:18

We've had Stoutland and the terrible poodle one. I just think it'd be funny seeing different breeds (or 'forms') of the same dog Pokés.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 EmptyMon 25 Sep 2017 - 20:20

Alolan Growlithe is a pug. Code it, Game Freak.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 EmptyMon 25 Sep 2017 - 20:33

Pugging hell! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 EmptyTue 26 Sep 2017 - 12:26

Pugs are the second most ugly breed of dog, only beaten by bulldogs for top spot. Thanks for the nightmare fuel balla!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 EmptyWed 27 Sep 2017 - 19:48

I completely get why people think that, but I think their stupid flat faces add to their charm.  They do have problems with breathing, though.  I wouldn't want to buy a new pug, as it encourages the breeding of further disadvantaged dogs.

Still though.

Nightmares for Athrun:

So gormless.

Last edited by Balladeer on Wed 27 Sep 2017 - 20:50; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Stoopid picture not working)
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 EmptyWed 27 Sep 2017 - 20:10

I'm opposed to the existence of pugs but they are cute little idiots.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 EmptyThu 28 Sep 2017 - 19:30

Okay, I'll amend my previous statement slightly: adult pugs are the second ugliest breed of dog. I will admit they can be rather cute as pups.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 EmptySat 14 Oct 2017 - 11:50

Playing through Gold has made me realise that the more modern Pokémon games have what I've dubbed 'move diarrhoea'. You raise your 'mon a couple of levels and it earns a new move. That makes it tough to decide on a moveset, to me. In Gold it might be eight levels before you get a new move and that's... probably too much, but it at least feels like you've earned it instead of being given them like sweets.

Where do you stand on this crucial issue?
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 EmptySat 14 Oct 2017 - 12:09

I'm probably biased as I used to frequent the competitive scene (got bored and haven't played much gen 7 meta though) but I find the move pools are one of the reasons the series stands above its "kid games" moniker. The sheer variety of moves, abilites, and Pokemon allows the games to be played at a far more strategic level than basically any other monster taming game on the market.

It's not really noticable in-game because the story mode is so easy the player won't ever be pushed to tap into even a fraction of the depth the game offers, but that variety is part of the reason the game has the strategic depth it has.

Look at a Pokemon like, say, Tyranitar. Between its egg moves, TM pool, and level-up moves, it can run a large number of strategic sets. You could breed a Larvitar to have Dragon Dance, allowing it to be a set-up sweeper. You could run low-accuracy high-power moves like Stone Edge, throw a Choice Band on it, and aim to one shot everything in its path as a tank. You can even use its surprisingly large Special Move pool from TMs to create a Special T-tar (gimmicky as hell and never used competitively, but the fact is you can do that, and you might even get a few kills with it due to surprise factor). There are far more combinations available to it as well.

That's just one Pokemon. Most Pokemon in the OU and UU tiers have similar levels of flexibility and variety (I'm still very fond of a Rest/Sleep Talk/Curse/Body Slam Snorlax I used a lot in gen 5, when he went off he won entire games). But none of this would exist if the movepools were as limited as they were in the older days, the days when GameFreak wasn't really catering to the strategic potential of the game.

That all said my competitive experience probably helps avoid the issue you have Zero, I know from the outset what I'm going to do with a Mon, and every new move takes less than a second for me to decide if it's worth adding or throwing in the bin.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 EmptyTue 17 Oct 2017 - 13:59

I still feel like I've earned the good moves when they come along. A lot of movepools are padded out by moves that raise/lower one stat. one stage, inflict normal poison, do forty damage etc. And I have to admit, I like the variety available. I'm no competitive player, but having monsters that can learn all sorts of moves is fun.

On the other hand, I'd like to see something being done about power creep.
Gen. 1: strongest Pokémon EVAR.
Gen. 2: two Pokémon just as strong.
Gen. 3: two Pokémon even stronger, due to the weather they summon.
Gen. 4: LITERALLY GOD.
Gen. 5: a much-appreciated break.
Gen. 6: A MEGA STRONGER THAN GOD.

There's no real way to combat it without not allowing transfers between gen. 8 and gen. 7, and that'd have the long-term fans (especially competitive battlers) up in arms. But I do think it's getting a bit stupid now.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 EmptySun 10 Dec 2017 - 12:12

I'm most of the way through Ultra Moon now and I would like to rearrange my ranking of the Gen Seven starters to the following:

Popplio > Litten > Rowlet

No apologies - having randomly chosen Popplio as my starter, I am now a confirmed Popplio person. It's hypercute and hasn't changed into a bloke at any stage of its evolutionary cycle. Even its second evolution is sweet and a sensible step between its initial and final forms. And that's something I'd like to talk about.

We often talk about the initial and final forms of starter Pokémon but I don't remember much chat about second forms. Do you have a favourite second form of a starter Pokémon? Let's talk 'em up right now. Grin
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 EmptySun 10 Dec 2017 - 18:24

Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 John-cleese-no

As for middle evolutions, you can probably guess that from my current, and indeed former, avatar.  Before Dartrix, most of them suffered from 'edgy teenager' syndrome.  Quilava and Dewott are other exceptions.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 EmptyMon 11 Dec 2017 - 4:44

Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 008war10

Most middle  evolutions end up being the awkward ugly duckling of the line, but I've always loved Wartortle.  Those wing-ears, that tail that looks oh so fluffy, and that determined expression.  It's cute and cool all in one package!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 EmptyMon 25 Dec 2017 - 12:28

Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 Santa_facts

Father Christmas' type revealed!
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 EmptyMon 25 Dec 2017 - 12:57

Learns some Fairy moves, I expect. Winky Face
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 EmptyThu 31 May 2018 - 21:42

Some of you may be aware that a set of beta Gold/Silver Pokémon have leaked.

Key points to take away:
  • Aipom and Mantine originally had much better designs. Porygon2... was a balloon lion.
  • There was going to be a ghost panda Pokémon. A FLIPPING GHOST PANDA!
  • Slowpoke's tail was a Pokémon in its own right. I'm still waiting for that metamorphosis to be explained, Game Freak.
  • Pinsir and, crucially, Farfetch'd are still waiting for their promised evolutions. Then there's Ditto...
  • The whole 'Jynx looks kinda racist' thing? Beta-Bellossom would have blown it out of the water.

Find your own favourites!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 EmptyFri 1 Jun 2018 - 12:33

Ooh, exciting! I love this kind of stuff. In similar news, there was a Satoshi Tajiri biographical manga released recently in Japan, which apparently shows some never-before-seen G1 designs. Naturally I tracked down a copy as soon as I heard, so I'm looking forward to seeing those.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 EmptySat 2 Jun 2018 - 12:07

I'm very keen on unannounced Pokémon designs, much though they often make me sad about what might have been.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 EmptyTue 17 Jul 2018 - 16:31

I just returned from seeing the latest Pocket Monsters movie! I've been counting down to the date since seeing posters when I first arrived in Japan all those months ago. I'd not seen a Pokemon film in the actual cinema for probably more than 15 years.

Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 Pokemon_21_ticket

The animation was gorgeous, there was some fun action and the little moments of silly visual comedy were amusing. Satoshi is just one of an ensemble cast, and actually comes across as cool and likeable. The plot is kind of just some stuff that happens, with Zeraora just sort of there. It was a nice little story about different relationships between people and Pokemon, which I guess was the point.

It started with a big advert for Lets Go, which actually does look nice even when blown up onto a cinema screen, and it ended with a little teaser for the next movie which is . . .
Spoiler:
There was also a tiny snippet of an interview with the director of the Detective Pikachu film, which was cool.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 EmptyThu 27 Sep 2018 - 18:43

Ladies (no ladies) and gentlemen, boys and girls (no girls)...

The Generation Game!
A Pre-Let's Go Look Through Pokémon Generations

With Pokémon Let's Go! coming up, and Drunka's 'cast and vote making me think about my favourite (and least favourite) Pokémon, I thought it'd be nice to take each generation of monsters and talk about how we feel about them.  Note: not the games.  Not the music (done that).  Just the little 'Mon themselves.  The good, and the not-so-good.

Generation 1: The Originals

Here they are:

A lot of people think the originals are still the best.  Whether that's because of nostalgia or elegant simplicity, here are some of my favourites from the original cast.  (We'll cover Alolans and Megas later.)

Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 SandslashGeneric General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 DragonairGeneric General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 Lapras
Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 Z8Wz7wv

Here are some of my best boys and girls.  The sleek elegance of Dragonair, the calm altruism of Lapras, and the cute little rodent that is Sandslash.  As far as sheer character goes, though, you can't beat Snorlax.  Being lazy and getting in the way from generation to generation, it's quite the mover when given the chance.  It's got immense amounts of personality.

Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 67-MachokeGeneric General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 2124-Shiny-Jynx

And then there's this.  If humanoid Pokémon would annoy people going forward, then Gen. 1 started it off with two utter shiters.  Machoke, whose arms muscles are literally bursting through its arms and wears tiny tiny pants; and Jynx, who actually has some pretty interesting lore behind it but just looks like... a mistake.  There are other genwunners I'm not keen on, but these two are my worst.

So, what are your favourite and least favourite original-generation Pokémon, and have I done one of your favourites a massive disservice?  Let me know!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 EmptyThu 27 Sep 2018 - 22:28

I've always liked Oddish, but that's for more sentimental reasons that you'll hear about at another time, I hope.

As for the rest, I quite like Nidoking and Rhydon - there's something about those big ol' dinos that just seems... cool, I guess. Gengar as well - creepy and an iconic design. He's the forum's favicon, as you may have noticed when loading up the page from time to time.

As for dislikes... I don't like Golbat, especially its classic sprite. Horrifying. I've never really liked Clefable or Wigglytuff either. The transition from cutesy pre-evolution to their bulkier fully evolved forms felt jarring to me.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 EmptyFri 28 Sep 2018 - 3:27

I'm not entirely happy with you stepping all over my content like this, Balls Man. . .
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 EmptyFri 28 Sep 2018 - 19:45

Aww! Sorry boss. Perhaps I can try and convince you that I'm not?

Attempt within:

Gengar was originally my avatar on NGamer! GRcade, incidentally, uses the same software: I was Gengar for a while there too, for old time's sake.

Despite what I said on LLP, I do have a certain nostalgic fondness for Clefable: I had one with Bubblebeam and Thunder that made Yellow its whimpering little pet. (Plus I found Clefairy cute back in the day.) Golbat just about gets a pass from me, because of its vampire-like Stadium animations and because it usually gives decent Exp.

ZUBAT THOUGH

Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 C6a46923ce03b1b1917e13834ee1bc0e

Supersonic confusion early-game, puny Exp yields late-game, and ubiquity all-game. No face either. These can get royally stuffed! DAMN YOU!
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 EmptySat 29 Sep 2018 - 23:23

I've always had a soft spot for Bulbasaur, which has recently flared up again due to these great comics from nekoama.

Look at him!:

Don't really care for Mr Mime. Never quite felt like it fit with other Pokemon designs.

Recently I discovered the theory that a couple of evolution lines got a bit messed up somehow and that they mixed up Butterfree and Venomoth as final evolutions. I also discovered right now that there is a "PokeConspiracy" wiki that will tell you all about it. I can see what they mean!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

Generic General Pokemon Discussion
Page 10 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next