There ain't no party like a Mario Party, 'cause a Mario Party don't stop until a Joy-Con's gone through the TV and everyone hates each other.

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Generic General Pokemon Discussion (Gen. 3 Monster Discussion on Page 12)

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
Disciple of Aonuma

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion (Gen. 3 Monster Discussion on Page 12)   Thu 11 Oct 2018 - 18:48

Funny you should say that...

Generation 3: Make It Double

Let's have them then:

After the innovation of adding two new types in Gen. 2, Gen. 3 went for a shake up in the battle mechanics instead.  So we got abilities and double battles, the former of which made Castform and Kecleon possible, and the latter being responsible for Plusle and Minun.  So far so underwhelming...

This was my generation of Pokémon.  Coming out as it did just as I hit adolescence, it's perhaps no surprise that I really love Gen. 3's collection.  From the creepy Sableye, to the cool Blaziken (I don't care if it looks a bit Digimon, just appreciate that they made a chicken look cool), to the cute Spheal, to the absolutely batshit Ludicolo.  (Who also has entertaining youkai connotations, as does their counterpart Shiftry... but that's one for Drunka to cover.)  But if you didn't expect Absol to top the charts, you don't know me very well.  Absol is cute and stylish and sleek and elegant and mysterious...  I basically want to be Absol.

They certainly weren't all winners, it's fair to say.  Plusle and Minun combined looking like the least imaginative Pikachu clones with being utterly useless in the format they were meant to promote, dying to a single Earthquake.  Luvdisc suggests that, amazingly, they kept the person who did Pineco on for another round.  And what the heck is Medicham wearing?  Still, though.  For nostalgic reasons, or otherwise, this remains my favourite generation of designs.

Shatter my childhood memories why don't you.  Tell me why Absol's rubbish, or why Luvdisc is great.  (Don't worry if you struggle a bit with that second one.)

Last edited by Balladeer on Fri 12 Oct 2018 - 20:33; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Calamity Forumite

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion (Gen. 3 Monster Discussion on Page 12)   Thu 11 Oct 2018 - 23:56

Formal request to use the sprite sheets next time round for your overall generation image - I had a tricky time working out who was who in the fan-art you used, especially for the bigger chaps like Aggron or Hariyama.

Balladeer wrote:
And what the heck is Medicham wearing?

Isn't it meant to be wearing hakama, like your SNK bad boy Geese Howard? Albeit with the legs being a bit more delineated with Medicham.

I could be totally wrong, mind, but I thought that was it meant to be as a counterpart to Hariyama's sumo inspirations. Speaking of him, that's a great design for a Pokémon. The humanoid fighting types can fall into the creepy category very quickly, but I've got a lot of time for Hariyama.

I've got a lot of time for Gen. III in general, actually. I like Zangoose and Seviper and their endless rivalry. I'm a fan of Electrike and Manectric, those zappy puppers. I like big 'ol menacing Aggron and goofy ghost Duskull.

As for low points, looking back at this list, we're at a similar level of quality to the previous two generations in my eyes, actually. I don't really like Castform, nor do I think the two fossil 'Mon are up to much either. Also, I blame the Internet for ruining Gardevoir - she was a good lass until Deviantart got their hands on her. No
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Drunkalilly
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion (Gen. 3 Monster Discussion on Page 12)   Fri 12 Oct 2018 - 7:15

I think I had the opposite expeience to you with Gen 3, Balls Man. Having played 1 and 2 to absolute death, desperately waiting for a GBA sequel, when it finally arrived I was underwhelmed. Tired, flat sprites and the same 8-gym structure, too much surfing and worst of all, loads of humanoid Pokemon!

I still played 100s of hours of my Sapphire cart, and having now completed Blue and Crystal on 3DS VC i'm gonna give the remake another go.

Looking at the 3rd gen pokedex now, among the whole pantheon, theres actually plenty of fine designs. I was just being a spoiled teen, I guess.

I'm all about Sableye, as it happens, because he's a Hopkinsville Goblin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
OrangeRakoon
Toad

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion (Gen. 3 Monster Discussion on Page 12)   Fri 12 Oct 2018 - 14:22

On the one hand gen III is when things starting going downhill

On the other hand we got zigzagoon and mudkipz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.orkn.uk
Balladeer
Disciple of Aonuma

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion (Gen. 3 Monster Discussion on Page 12)   Fri 12 Oct 2018 - 20:36

JayMoyles wrote:
Formal request to use the sprite sheets next time round for your overall generation image - I had a tricky time working out who was who in the fan-art you used, especially for the bigger chaps like Aggron or Hariyama.

Request noted, accepted, and retroactively implemented!

JayMoyles wrote:
Also, I blame the Internet for ruining Gardevoir - she was a good lass until Deviantart got their hands on her. No

Gardevoir confused the heck out of me at the time. Springing her (or occasionally him) on me just as my hormones were starting to fire - cruel, Ninty, cruel.

Drunkalilly wrote:
I think I had the opposite expeience to you with Gen 3, Balls Man. Having played 1 and 2 to absolute death, desperately waiting for a GBA sequel, when it finally arrived I was underwhelmed. Tired, flat sprites and the same 8-gym structure, too much surfing and worst of all, loads of humanoid Pokemon!

I'm all about Sableye, as it happens, because he's a Hopkinsville Goblin.

'Sfair, and there genuinely was too much water. Your Sableye opinions are good opinions. We have matching plushies, don't we?

OrangeRakoon wrote:
On the one hand gen III is when things starting going downhill

liez

OrangeRakoon wrote:
On the other hand we got zigzagoon and mudkipz

Bloody Mudkip! Wasn't even that good a Pokémon, and yet it got memed to space and back. Not as forgettable as Barboach, mind. I remember Cappa 'drawing' it for that forum game as a grey cylinder that still somehow had more personality than the original.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion (Gen. 3 Monster Discussion on Page 12)   

Back to top Go down

Generic General Pokemon Discussion (Gen. 3 Monster Discussion on Page 12)
Page 12 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12