On The Cusp Of The Heavens

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  GintendoGintendo  SONMSONM  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Jim Sterling

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
masofdas
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Tue 25 Apr 2017 - 11:56

Take FFXV, like I said the story was your normal JPRGness and was okay, the combat was fun etc but what made that great was getting from A-B with the boys and how they interacted with each other.

The journey to the end made the game so great not the story. What you're saying about Zelda is was you making your own journey to the end and going do whatever made it great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drunkalilly
Pokémon Master

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Tue 25 Apr 2017 - 11:58

The journey to the end is the story.

Story, noun
the plot or succession of incidents of a novel, poem, drama, etc.:
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.gintendo.co.uk Online
masofdas
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Tue 25 Apr 2017 - 12:03

Sure, And mine was do Dungeons, Defeat Ganon, Watch Credits for BotW as everything else to me didn't add anything. Like I Zelda thread, if it did for you that's great but like in my review on here and the chat to Jay, it didn't for me.

Where in FFXV doing other things added to the boys and made me care about them come the end.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muss
Shiny Shuckle

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Tue 25 Apr 2017 - 15:50

To go back to Athrun's point. There's certainly merit in having a reviewer say, I don't get along with X or Y, but I can see how someone might enjoy X or Y. Many good reviews employ the odd sentence to that effect. However, when it comes to a final score, I think the most objective and appropriate approach any reviewer can take is one which scores the game in such a way as it accurately reflects their own perspective about the game within whatever arbitrary and limited range they're given. While it's all well and good saying, hey others can get something more/less out of this than me, watering down one's own final verdict in order to reflect what said reviewer thinks other people (and critics?) may think about said game, kind of defeats the purpose of them hammering out their point of view in the first place. Personally, I found Zelda to have a magical quality to it, but I'm weary of proclaiming that masterpeices are precluded from scoring a 7, because while it's a masterpiece to you or I but not Jim. And that's kind of the whole point of his score. I mean, I think How the West was Won is a load of old shite, and Dark Souls 1 is way too sluggish and therefore irritating to score any higher than a 7, and I've beaten that fucker thrice. I can see why other people are mad for it though, because they get the world building/level design/ narrative that's impressive in addition to combat mechanics they enjoy. But that's just not me, and the most objective thing any verdict I pass can do is to reflect how I feel. Otherwise I might as well just regurgitate some Metacritic number.

As for Zelda's storyline. If you take the more reductive approach of, story = 'the bits where the game communicates with the player either directly or indirectly through both cutscene and non-cutscene dialogue(s)/text,' then Zelda's story is bog standard.

If you take a more nuanced approach that also incorporates visual communication and player interaction via exploration to the above, then Zelda's story becomes much more compelling because the storyline isn't suddenly ripped apart from the interactive elements of the adventure. For me, it's the world design and explorative stuff that really sets this game apart from most other open world games I've ever played. I actually want to have a look around at everything, and it's my journey through the diverse landscape, with all it's unexpected puzzles interwoven therein, that kept me coming back time and again. Gannon, Zelda, that stuff was in the background, but I got to choose when it came into play. A somewhat minimalist approach to dialogue also suited the game well because, given that Link is a mute and that historically the series hasn't had much in the way of raw dialogue, it'd be weird to have anything approaching the lads on tour storytelling of Final Fantasy. Not that I've played the latter, but being a FF game I imagine it's much more structural at its core, which is the exact opposite of the type of journey zelda was going for.

It's quite hard to quantify that sort of stuff into sentences, which I think is why a lot of people try to segregate gaming into reducible categories: Plot, gameplay, sounds, lifespan, graphics. But it's that interdisciplinary capability that has soulsborners going giddy for any from soft announcement, and that same quality which I think Zelda has overall.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
masofdas
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Tue 25 Apr 2017 - 16:50

Top post Muss, and yeah it can be hard to get across sometimes what you mean.

I hope I have from my point of view on why I think BotW is a good game but nothing special to me.

Ohh and based on this plot, gameplay, sounds, lifespan, graphics then Zelda is a 5, 7, 8, 9, 8
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The_Jaster
Space Ark Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Tue 25 Apr 2017 - 18:41

mas wrote:
I hope I have from my point of view on why I think BotW is a good game but nothing special to me.

Well, you did say it over & over again so how could we not? Razz

(That question is rhetorical btw)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Athrun888
Dry Metal Baby Princess

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Wed 26 Apr 2017 - 12:12

I think the problem here, and why this has turned in to such a mess/debate, is the varying interpretations of what review scores mean.  Some people treat them as a "I liked a game X much out of 10", others treat them as a means to say "this game is X out of 10 quality-wise".  Thinking about it review scores and what they mean/we think they should mean could be a good topic to do an opinion piece and have a debate over, although I hold no illusions about having the talent to cover it properly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balladeer
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Wed 26 Apr 2017 - 19:52

One for the Non-Stop Debate Thread, methinks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/ Online
ZeroJones
Tenderloin Minimise

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Wed 26 Apr 2017 - 21:09

Anyone can start a debate in the Super Non-Stop Debate thread, y'all! Achieve your dreams. Grin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   

Back to top Go down

Jim Sterling
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5