We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago

Go down 
+9
The Cappuccino Kid
shanks
ZeroJones
The_Jaster
Buskalilly
Crumpy Andy
masofdas
JayMoyles
Balladeer
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago Empty
PostSubject: Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago   Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago EmptyWed 24 Sep 2014 - 12:11

From the "meeting fellow members" thread.

masofdas wrote:
I know you don't like most of his games but surely like him as character, he just seems one of those charters everyone should kinda know & like along with Mario & Pikachu for instance.

What?  No no no, you've got it all wrong.  I don't have anything against his games - they're generally mediocre, not bad, and every so often they'll come good (like Colours).  Or so I hear - I don't get the games because I can't stand the character himself.  Got nothing against olden-day Sonic, or not much, but his modern-day incarnation is just filled with 'tude.  From the finger-waggling, to the voice, to the rawk soundtracks that encourage him, to "YOU'RE TOO SLOW!!", he seems like a product of the 80s/90s that just won't die.  Like Diddy Kong and his baseball cap (but no pants).

It is very much the character I take against.  It's just coincidence (I presume) that his games have been mediocre recently.  Then again, I'm not that fond of Pikachu either.

Last edited by Balladeer on Thu 25 Sep 2014 - 7:34; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago   Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago EmptyWed 24 Sep 2014 - 12:18

Balladeer wrote:
From the "meeting fellow members" thread.

masofdas wrote:
I know you don't like most of his games but surely like him as character, he just seems one of those charters everyone should kinda know & like along with Mario & Pikachu for instance.

What?  No no no, you've got it all wrong.  I don't have anything against his games - they're generally mediocre, not bad, and every so often they'll come good (like Colours).  Or so I hear - I don't get the games because I can't stand the character himself.  Got nothing against olden-day Sonic, or not much, but his modern-day incarnation is just filled with 'tude.  From the finger-waggling, to the voice, to the rawk soundtracks that encourage him, to "YOU'RE TOO SLOW!!", he seems like a product of the 80s/90s that just won't die.  Like Diddy Kong and his baseball cap (but no pants).

Yeah, put my thoughts into words for me. Sonic grates on me, but I generally don't mind his games.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago   Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago EmptyWed 24 Sep 2014 - 12:21

His games haven't been that bad ohh wait there's only 2 good ones from the whole of the 7th generation if we don't count spin-offs.

I like some of the soundtracks like this classic. Also Sonic has always been a dude from the cartoons & comics. He's just so 90's a bit like micalegeno in ninja turtles that's just how they are.

And everything was better in the 90's such as SEGA v Nintendo far better then now.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago   Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago EmptyWed 24 Sep 2014 - 12:25

masofdas wrote:
Also Sonic has always been a dude from the cartoons & comics. He's just so 90's a bit like micalegeno in ninja turtles that's just how they are.

I think that's what grates on me about him. A character like Mario isn't a product of a decade - he's near timeless. Sonic still screams "NINETIES DUDE" at me, and I feel that's dated now.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago   Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago EmptyWed 24 Sep 2014 - 13:39

me wrote:
Sonic is a twat though, there is nothing likeable about the cocky bastard.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago   Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago EmptyWed 24 Sep 2014 - 21:45

That Sonics a tosser, isn't he?
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago   Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago EmptyWed 24 Sep 2014 - 21:49

Question, then: do I move the above few posts into a new thread, entitled "Sonic: Your Thoughts (He's a Right Asshat, Don't You Think?)" I think that such a thread could be what the forum needs right now.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago   Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago EmptyWed 24 Sep 2014 - 22:17

Make it so.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: General Sonic Discussion Thread   Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago EmptyWed 24 Sep 2014 - 22:21

balladeer wrote:
he seems like a product of the 80s/90s that just won't die

Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago 5934913973_istockphoto_280569_nail_head_answer_2_xlarge

That's nail on the head btw

As for the the ninja turtles I'd say they are timeless because the surfer/dude bro is still a thing. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago   Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago EmptyThu 25 Sep 2014 - 7:33

I was going to make this a general Sonic discussion thing, but then I saw how well the last attempt at that fared, so instead: gaming characters that just need to die, but won't.

(I always thought that the turtles were ironic myself. It's only that that saves them in my mind.)
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago   Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago EmptyThu 25 Sep 2014 - 8:11

Pac-Man? He very much belonged to an era of gaming and any updates of him have not sat right with me.
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago   Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago EmptyThu 25 Sep 2014 - 8:20

I'd have to agree about Pac man
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago   Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago EmptyThu 25 Sep 2014 - 8:45

Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago Hallelujah-gif
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago   Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago EmptyThu 25 Sep 2014 - 9:07

Pacman doesn't even have a character. If they stuck to things like Champion Edition and Pac Man Vs. that would be okay, but squeezing him into platformers and adventures feels really forced.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago   Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago EmptyThu 25 Sep 2014 - 10:41

Yeah agree on modern Pac-Man

On Sonic only thing he still gets games like lost world & boom which do have there own threads which have had some use, I will be playing Boom on Saturday to see how bad it is as what I hear it's bad even with the studio that's doing it's pedigree.

But here's a picture Nintendo have been using with the Title Icons which they are, Sonic might be a annoying 90s but I don't think any of you can deny his a gaming Icon like the other 3. Maybe Mega Man not so much I doubt many people outside gaming know who is.
Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago ByURzubIgAA_yGY

Maybe a conversational one but Master Chief as it's Microsoft's cash cow & I do like Halo but just give us a exciting new IP with a new character please.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago   Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago EmptyThu 25 Sep 2014 - 13:33

No, Sonic's definitely a gaming icon - but he's annoying as fuck. Laughing

Mega Man's pretty recognisable I'd say. Maybe not the extent of the other three, but still a huge gaming character.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago   Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago EmptyThu 25 Sep 2014 - 13:52

I'd agree on pac-man as far as the new platform games they try to force out the door BUT he still deserves to be in smash bros. Balladeer Oh also infinite minus points to balla for the use of a big bang theory gif.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago   Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago EmptyThu 25 Sep 2014 - 21:05

Dry Bones from the Mario games. It seems that he's been in all of them lately, despite being unremittingly bollocks. Who'd actually choose him in Mario Kart Wii? It's a skeleton of a character that's already a bit pish.

I'd have given Mega Man a rest, but Capcom already are.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago   Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago EmptyThu 25 Sep 2014 - 21:10

I actually quite like Dry Bones! He's cute, in a skeletal kind of way. Dry Bowser, now - what is the point of him?

And while we're on the subject of the Mario cast... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EDQaHf8cT8
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago   Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago EmptyThu 25 Sep 2014 - 21:12

In any of the mario games, I don't like "characters" which are actually just a whole species. I'd rather they let you play as a specific Koopa Troopa, like a partner from the Paper Marios or the lad who races you in Mario 64.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod_B
Wonderful
Zaphod_B

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago   Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago EmptyThu 25 Sep 2014 - 22:39

Balladeer wrote:

And while we're on the subject of the Mario cast... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EDQaHf8cT8

My browser window crash upon opening that link in a new tab, and it didn't stop for well over a minute. I'm scarred!

I really disliked Crash *averagegamesatbesst* Bandicoot (and his annoying face), but he seems to have faded away now anyway. I'd probably go with Pacman as well. He just looks...wrong with limbs, and he doesn't seem to have any character.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago   Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago EmptyThu 25 Sep 2014 - 22:46

Crash needs to make come back if anything, the second & third on ps1 were great 3D platformers.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago   Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago EmptyThu 25 Sep 2014 - 23:20

Avoiding the obvious
no-one cares Jimbob:

Captain Falcon isn't less of a character than a mechanical part of a cool car, and I don't think should have the Smash Bros. gravitas he does. He's a bit of a Poochie.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago   Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago EmptyThu 25 Sep 2014 - 23:32

Jimbob:
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago   Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago EmptyFri 26 Sep 2014 - 0:42

With the story modes and the cartoons, I quite like captain falcon. In fact, f zero would probably translate to film better than any other Nintendo property.

For the most part, I just do it to wind up mas. I'm actually not that fussed by sonic, being that I am a 90s kid and the first home console I played was a Sega.
Sonic can do one, the little twerp.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago   Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago Empty

Back to top Go down

Gaming Characters That Should Have Been Put Out to Pasture Long Ago
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next