We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The cost of retro gaming

Go down 
+7
Jimbob
ZeroJones
The Cappuccino Kid
Balladeer
gjones
Admin
masofdas
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

The cost of retro gaming - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The cost of retro gaming   The cost of retro gaming - Page 2 EmptySat 16 May 2015 - 18:08

Agreed about pretty much everything on this thread.

One flipside to the high prices is the games generally retain their value, so if you weren't bothered about keeping a retro game you'll never play again, you'll probably get back as much as you paid for it -- and still be able to own it again later if you changed your mind. It's a collectors' dilemma though.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The cost of retro gaming   The cost of retro gaming - Page 2 EmptyTue 19 May 2015 - 9:01

Yeah as I'm likely never to play Xeno & Pandora on Wii or Last Story again and I could sell them together for about £300 that's a lot of money but what if I do want to play again.
Back to top Go down
flora-chan
Wii U Port
flora-chan

PostSubject: Re: The cost of retro gaming   The cost of retro gaming - Page 2 EmptySun 14 Jun 2015 - 21:43

I would never sell Xeno, Pandora or last story because these three are the best rpg's in the market and something worth a lot getting older. I have played with them all I simple love them to bits, the last story is my favourite rpg I have ever played in my life. I would like to collect Playstation one games rare ones and play with them if I find a bargain, my PS3 plays all of them so no problem. I am a big fan of PS1 so would only be natural for me to continue with it, I will see what I get in the future beyond and can get PS1 games on my vita if I wanted too aswell.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The cost of retro gaming   The cost of retro gaming - Page 2 EmptyThu 18 Jun 2015 - 16:56

I bet you can guess what game has suddenly gone up in price
Shenmue I pre-E3 was worth £21 Now £37
Shenmue II DC pre-E3 was worth £49 Now £78
Shenmue II Xbox pre-E3 was worth £13 Now £22

Some decent increases there
Back to top Go down
flora-chan
Wii U Port
flora-chan

PostSubject: Re: The cost of retro gaming   The cost of retro gaming - Page 2 EmptyThu 18 Jun 2015 - 17:44

I am not surprised really as people would want to play them on the dreamcast, if you want them go and get them no matter the cost.
it really much as inspired people already to get a dreamcast for sure to make it go higher the cost.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: The cost of retro gaming   The cost of retro gaming - Page 2 EmptySat 27 Jun 2015 - 16:08

masofdas wrote:
I bet you can guess what game has suddenly gone up in price
Shenmue I pre-E3 was worth £21 Now £37  
Shenmue II DC pre-E3 was worth £49 Now £78
Shenmue II Xbox pre-E3 was worth £13 Now £22

Some decent increases there

I noticed this too. Tempted to sell my DC copy of Shenmue 2, since I haven't played it in three years, but it's just too good to justify the cash I'd get back. Maybe if I'm plonking that £70~ on equally amazing games. I've yet to play Viewtiful Joe or Samba De Amigo, for example.

But I do feel like messing about in Shenmue and its sequels' worlds though.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The cost of retro gaming   The cost of retro gaming - Page 2 EmptyThu 5 Jan 2017 - 19:21

The cost of retro gaming - Page 2 1465165-rise_from_your_grave

I just won something which I talk about later when it arrives and hope to do some videos on it but with the cost of retro continuing to go up and the likes of CEX jumping on the bandwagon.

I was thinking for myself personally and you who is reading this, is it better to have a lot of systems or a few (I'm talking retro).

As last year I bought a N64, Saturn (I think it was early last year when I met gJones), PS1, PS2, OG Xbox along with already having a GameCube, Dreamcast, GBA, DSi, Mega Drive and the means to play 360 and Wii.

That it a good few and out of those new system in the last 12 months I've amassed 50 odd games or 10 per console, now I can play all the best games but when I did cut down my collection last time I knew what I wanted in a shop for the collection and had time to play the games.

That I am thinking about maybe getting rid again some of these systems and focusing on one of these new system.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The cost of retro gaming   The cost of retro gaming - Page 2 EmptyThu 5 Jan 2017 - 20:07

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
I think I'm done with the old retro game collecting for two reasons: I've moved 200 miles away from all my retro game stuff, and - yes! - the increasing cost of it. That said, I never really intentionally collected stuff; I just bought what took my fancy. It just so happens that an awful lot took my fancy, natch.

Asides from Starfox Assault for £9, I can't think of a single really, really good retro gaming bargain I've had in the last two years.

Not much has changed here (although I've had plenty of jammy retro gaming bargains over the last two years - it's been good luck, I suppose).

I'm not actively looking for any new games or systems, but I'm trying to whittle down my collection. Last year, I handed about fifty PS2 and XBox games into my local Marie Curie, and recently I traded in about seventy-five Wii, DS and Wii U games. They were just taking up space, and mostly just bought for the sake of being bought. I'm making an effort to only buy stuff that I want, which is a complete change from the way I'd been doing things.

I sometimes can't help myself when it's a good deal though (like with those four PS2 games I just posted in the Yesterday I Bought thread). That said, I'm trying to be stricter about what I pick up, and I've decided to start operating on a 'one in, one out' rule; for every game I buy, I'll get rid of one, so that I'm not just accumulating more and more old stuff. Point is: it's good to have lots of systems, but seperate the wheat from the chaff; just get/keep the titles that you want/need.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The cost of retro gaming   The cost of retro gaming - Page 2 EmptyThu 5 Jan 2017 - 20:11

That's why I ended up with most of these with aww that's cheap or aww I've not seen that game before and next minute I'm back up to nearly a 1000 games.

But I get your point and the one console I got grvaing to play does have some bangers on it but are expensive and I'm thinking would I sooner play them and buy them then have 35 OG Xbox games where the likes of Halo, I also own on Xbox One.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: The cost of retro gaming   The cost of retro gaming - Page 2 EmptyFri 6 Jan 2017 - 9:02

masofdas wrote:
That's why I ended up with most of these with aww that's cheap or aww I've not seen that game before and next minute I'm back up to nearly a 1000 games.

But I get your point and the one console I got grvaing to play does have some bangers on it but are expensive and I'm thinking would I sooner play them and buy them then have 35 OG Xbox games where the likes of Halo, I also own on Xbox One.

The thing is, do you actually play 35 different OG Xbox games? I thought about this recently, and for old systems I could probably be happy with 10 games maximum for each one - especially OG Xbox. It's not something I'll often start playing on. I just think that cheap PS2 or Wii games are the equivalent of Steam sale titles, except they are MORE alluring due to being physical. After years of buying and selling old systems (ie. Dreamcast and N64 mostly) I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather have them than actually play on them. Because as soon as I sell a game I'm fond of, I'll start wanting to buy it again a year later, even though I'll probably play it for 30 minutes and put it back on the shelf. The good thing about retro systems and games is that they act like credit, as if I'm short of cash and need money fast, sticking something up for sale usually means I've got back what I spent on it.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The cost of retro gaming   The cost of retro gaming - Page 2 EmptyFri 6 Jan 2017 - 16:10

I can think of a good 35+ OG Xbox, I would in the collection and play but do I own 35 of those and the answer is no.

Soon as I sell a game I'm fond of, I'll start wanting to buy it again a year later, even though I'll probably play it for 30 minutes and put it back on the shelf. The good thing about retro systems and games is that they act like credit, as if I'm short of cash and need money fast, sticking something up for sale usually means I've got back what I spent on it

I have that all-time where I'm like I fancy playing X game I once had or I'm like I'm not playing this N64 then I'll go buy another one soon as I see cheap.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The cost of retro gaming   The cost of retro gaming - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The cost of retro gaming
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2