We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory

Go down 
+5
Treesmurf
ZeroJones
shanks
The_Jaster
fronkhead
9 posters
AuthorMessage
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory Empty
PostSubject: HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory   HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory EmptyWed 21 Jan 2015 - 15:23

HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory 61lFwQU8tVL._AA1440_

Probably the most overlooked game of Direct, this, and no doubt because there wasn't a peep of it in the EU/NA Directs.

...but it's one of my favourite puzzle platformer games ever. It takes a very strong central concept -- being able to create boxes as an extension of yourself, which can then be used in many different ways -- and runs with it, constantly introducing new ideas to encourage you to use your moves in new ways.

There are only seven levels in each world, but amazingly BoxBoy manages to make the most out of each world's central mechanic (one world might have cranes, another one has Portal-esque gravity warp holes) with such brevity. It moves along at a fast pace for a puzzle game. Its puzzles aren't overly long and drawn out like, say, Fallblox, rather they are very succinct and to the point, encouraging you to think about things hard and experiment in solving one focused problem at a time.

...I also suspect it was made using Nintendo Web Framework, a web-standards based development framework where developers use HTML5 and CSS to make games. In that case it's a great proof of concept for the development environment, since a large team like HAL, with plenty of resources, was able to simply focus on making a great game above and beyond other things like fancy visuals. It looks nice, though, its monochrome, minimalist look carrying a Game Boy-esque level of charm to it.

It's quite a hard game to describe, then, but luckily it has a portal over at Nintendo JP: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/eshop/jcpj/index.html

But yes, please bring this over here NoE/NoA!
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory   HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory EmptyWed 21 Jan 2015 - 17:00

I seen you talk about this quite a bit on twitter but never looked up footage until now & it looks like great fun! Surely it has to come out over here.

Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory   HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory EmptyWed 21 Jan 2015 - 17:51

It's not a bad little game
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory   HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory EmptyWed 21 Jan 2015 - 19:49

Puzzle platformer, you say? I'm there. Bounce
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory   HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory EmptyFri 23 Jan 2015 - 0:58

Looks fun and loving the minimalist art style. Over here please. Ninja
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory   HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory EmptyFri 23 Jan 2015 - 9:53

Boxboy's box ability reminds me of Huepow's ring power in Klonoa.

I like the look of this. Is there already an entry in the series that you've played, Fronky, or is the Jap version out in some form already?
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory   HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory EmptyFri 6 Feb 2015 - 0:18

Very sorry about the late reply, Stu! It was released in Japan on the day of the last Nintendo Direct in January. I'm a bit puzzled as to why we haven't received it yet. There's barely any text in it whatsoever, and I thought it'd be great if it launched on New 3DS launch day. At £4.50 or so it's the sort of thing you'd buy for the sake of it.

Maybe they are wondering what to call it over here? HakoBoi = Box Boy, and I can see quite a few people dismissing it on name alone...
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory   HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory EmptyFri 6 Feb 2015 - 10:55

Where does Kirby come into the mix, or was that just a marketing gimmick?
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory   HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory EmptyThu 2 Apr 2015 - 9:40

As I mentioned in the Nintendo direct thread I snapped this up last night after the presentation, I've played 3 worlds so far and it really is clever stuff. I also thought this would be your no nonsense puzzle game but despite it having a simple visual style it still has heaps of charm as well. Smile

Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory   HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory EmptyThu 2 Apr 2015 - 9:42

Yes! How much is it, Jas?
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory   HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory EmptyThu 2 Apr 2015 - 9:45

Oh forgot to mention that part, 'Tis £4.49 which is looking like a great deal for the amount of content it appears to have.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory   HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory EmptyThu 2 Apr 2015 - 9:51

Thank you. I've been looking for a non-retail reason to get into my 3DS again. Smile
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory   HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory EmptyFri 3 Apr 2015 - 9:25

This looks like the nuts - I really want to get this, but I know that I won't start playing it for about 3 months!
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory   HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory EmptyFri 3 Apr 2015 - 9:30

I'm hoping to pick it up - and Azure Striker Gunvolt, purely because of its nonsensical name (note: not really) - today. Grin
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory   HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory EmptyFri 3 Apr 2015 - 9:31

This is bloody good! Already played the first 15 worlds and it's simply brilliant. Charming, just puzzling enough and simply fun to play. Buy it!
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory   HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory EmptyFri 3 Apr 2015 - 19:47

andyman949 wrote:
This is bloody good! Already played the first 15 worlds and it's simply brilliant. Charming, just puzzling enough and simply fun to play. Buy it!

I second this. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory   HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory EmptyFri 3 Apr 2015 - 20:27

Qbby for SSB5! Possibly not his music though.

Anyway, I like the aesthetic and feel of the game. Not got to anything too taxing yet (I've only done 7 levels), but I can see this getting very hard very quickly.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory   HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory EmptyFri 3 Apr 2015 - 20:49

Balladeer wrote:
Qbby for SSB5!  Possibly not his music though.  

Anyway, I like the aesthetic and feel of the game.  Not got to anything too taxing yet (I've only done 7 levels), but I can see this getting very hard very quickly.

I like the music as well so Boo to you.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory   HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory EmptyFri 3 Apr 2015 - 22:19

Blimey, Jas - once you've found a game you like, you really will defend it to the death, won't you? Razz I don't actually have any problems with the music: I seem to recall it fitting the game well, although I couldn't hum you a tune if you asked me. I just don't think it'd fit well in Smash without substantial remixing.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory   HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory EmptyFri 3 Apr 2015 - 22:22

I've played two levels. Two. Embarrassed The minimalism is impressive and I've yet to really get into it... soon, I feel. The big thing so far is that the jumping reminds me of Moon Patrol. Grin
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory   HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory EmptySat 4 Apr 2015 - 0:16

Balladeer wrote:
Blimey, Jas - once you've found a game you like, you really will defend it to the death, won't you? Razz I don't actually have any problems with the music: I seem to recall it fitting the game well, although I couldn't hum you a tune if you asked me.  I just don't think it'd fit well in Smash without substantial remixing.

Aye! (*dives on sword grenade* if anyone says anything bad about Box Boy. Winky Face You are right that it doesn't have you humming the music after you're done playing, I just liked how different it is in comparison to Hal lab's other games.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory   HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory EmptySat 4 Apr 2015 - 0:34

Balladeer wrote:
Qbby for SSB5!  Possibly not his music though.

Hey, he could well be in Smash 4 yet! Winky Face
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory   HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory EmptySun 5 Apr 2015 - 19:53

Done bought it! It's great. That is all.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory   HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory EmptyTue 7 Apr 2015 - 6:38

Middle of World 8 and I'm still not sure I get it. There's plenty more to play, I understand, but it's not quite the smash hit I was hoping for. Meh
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory   HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory EmptyWed 8 Apr 2015 - 12:12

DoPo fo sho, bo - er, but - now that I've played the middle of World 8, I'm on board with Boxboy! Phew! Grin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory   HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory Empty

Back to top Go down

HakoBoi/BoxBoy -- new puzzle game from HAL Laboratory
Page 1 of 1