We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.

Go down 
+7
ZeroJones
The_Jaster
JayMoyles
masofdas
oldschool
Jimbob
Admin
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go. Empty
PostSubject: I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.   I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go. EmptyFri 6 Feb 2015 - 19:37

Seldom do I buy into hype, but I once bought into the Metroid Prime hype and picked the game up back int' day. Full well knowing I really dislike first-person perspective games.

And what do you know? I didn't like it. Man, did I not like it. This wasn't Metroid! The 3D map confused and scared me, and after numerous attempts to grasp what everyone else loved, I bunged it on my shelf unloved until today. Today I gave it another go, and what do you know? I actually seem to be enjoying it this time. Indeed, I'm even eager to fire it up again and see where the next corridor takes me.

What's been your most recent experience of this sort? Over to you!
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.   I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go. EmptyFri 6 Feb 2015 - 21:10

Interesting topic Stu!
I approached Fallout New Vegas (a) without any previous history with the series, and (b) having played Oblivion and Skyrim. It seemed to me to be a clunky derivative of the Elder Scrolls, which I know is officially a Wrong Opinion. So I'm going to try again.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.   I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go. EmptyFri 6 Feb 2015 - 23:43

I can't actually remember an experience where I thought it was rubbish and wasn't wrong. I have a long history of trying games I believe will be horrible and I am always right. Football, Gridiron, Call of Duty, Halo, Duke Nukem (worst game ever), Battlefield, Tom Clancy anything and the list goes on. I have retried many of them and it only confirmed my original view was right. The closest I can get to this experience are games I tried and couldn't get into, only to try them again later and found they clicked. I didn't think they were rubbish though, just that they weren't hooking me in.
Back to top Go down
http://aspergamer.webs.com/apps/forums/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.   I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go. EmptyFri 6 Feb 2015 - 23:50

Ohh man so many great games there as I'm guessing it's the original classic Duke Nukem but does seems more like Stu with don't like First Person Perspective.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.   I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go. EmptySat 7 Feb 2015 - 0:09

Jimbob wrote:

I approached Fallout New Vegas (a) without any previous history with the series, and (b) having played Oblivion and Skyrim. It seemed to me to be a clunky derivative of the Elder Scrolls, which I know is officially a Wrong Opinion. So I'm going to try again.

I actually experienced the opposite - played Oblivion thinking it was a duller Fallout. I went back to it later and enjoyed it, but 'tis interesting that we had a similar but opposite experience.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.   I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go. EmptySat 7 Feb 2015 - 0:38

masofdas wrote:
Ohh man so many great games there as I'm guessing it's the original classic Duke Nukem but does seems more like Stu with don't like First Person Perspective.  

I get motion sickness, so FPS do make me ill, but as Bioshock proved, if it is really good, I will overcome that. The Duke Nukem was on the original Xbox and man that was pure excrement, I hated every second of the time I gave it.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.   I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go. EmptySat 7 Feb 2015 - 0:47

Great topic!

My most recent one would be Bayonetta, didn't really get the hype about it when I tried it on ps3 but gave it a second chance on wii U and I'm really glad I did as it's one of the best action games out there.

The only other game I can think of giving a second chance would be Fire emblem Awakening but I don't see that happening for a while.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.   I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go. EmptySat 7 Feb 2015 - 8:07

At the moment, that would be Shantae, the GBC original. The game didn't sell itself to me, what with Shantae herself walking more slowly than a sloth with four broken legs. In addition, her hairflick attack is as powerful as a gnat's fart with a tenth of the reach. On top of that, enemies appear without warning to cause your stupidly lengthy hit animation... all this combines to mean that you die more frequently than Captain Jack Harkness.

Now I know all that, I can play it. Winky Face
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.   I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go. EmptySat 7 Feb 2015 - 9:38

oldschool wrote:
masofdas wrote:

I get motion sickness, so FPS do make me ill, but as Bioshock proved, if it is really good, I will overcome that.  The Duke Nukem was on the original Xbox and man that was pure excrement, I hated every second of the time I gave it.

I can't even think what Duke Nukem that is unless you had a modded OG Xbox and had a emulation on Duke Nukem 3D that's considered a classic in the FPS genre I don't think it's held up much though.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.   I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go. EmptySun 8 Feb 2015 - 10:46

JayMoyles wrote:
Jimbob wrote:

I actually experienced the opposite - played Oblivion thinking it was a duller Fallout. I went back to it later and enjoyed it, but 'tis interesting that we had a similar but opposite experience.

Oh wow. Y'know, I can totally imagine that. I suspect it's because they're both big open world environments with a lot of backstory etc. - maybe having to transplant from one to the other is too much work.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.   I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go. EmptySun 8 Feb 2015 - 12:47

masofdas wrote:
oldschool wrote:
masofdas wrote:

I get motion sickness, so FPS do make me ill, but as Bioshock proved, if it is really good, I will overcome that.  The Duke Nukem was on the original Xbox and man that was pure excrement, I hated every second of the time I gave it.

I can't even think what Duke Nukem that is unless you had a modded OG Xbox and had a emulation on Duke Nukem 3D that's considered a classic in the FPS genre I don't think it's held up much though.  

I just checked and my memory was shot on that mas, it was Doom 3, sorry about that.  Aaarghhh, it gives me nightmares just thinking about it.  I have never played a game I hated this much.  I reviewed it on a site I was trying to manage for my own fun and I will paste what I said.  I normally write a lot more about a game, but this was by far the shortest one I ever wrote:

Doom 3
Genre: Shooter/First Person/Survival Horror
Metacritic Average: 88 [93% Positive, 7% Mixed, High 100%, Low 70%]

I really hated this. The graphics were blocky, muddy and just horrible. The characters were seriously bland and I went nowhere. I never got to the shooting part and I don’t care. I will struggle to find a game I disliked more. Saying any more would just repeating myself about how much I hated it.

Score: Disliked
Desire to play more? - No, never, ever again. I have no idea what the reviewers saw in it.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.   I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go. EmptySun 8 Feb 2015 - 17:44

Yeah Doom 3 wasn't great but didn't think the graphics were good for the time on a Xbox.
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.   I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go. EmptyMon 9 Feb 2015 - 0:22

masofdas wrote:
Yeah Doom 3 wasn't great but didn't think the graphics were good for the time on a Xbox.

Not even then, it was just butt ugly from the beginning. It looked like digital vomit.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.   I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go. EmptyMon 9 Feb 2015 - 7:52

Stealth Inc. 2 falls into this category, as well. When I first downloaded it, I got to a level (ruddy hub) and played it: it was no great shakes, so SI2 got shelved. Recently it wormed its way back into my playlist, and now I'm addicted. Completing a puzzle within a level usually gives you a checkpoint, at which stage you just have to solve the next one, and the next one, until the level is over. Then you look for the next level in the hub, at which point you simply have to do that, too. It's... frightening, really. Grin
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.   I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go. EmptyMon 9 Feb 2015 - 9:21

oldschool wrote:
masofdas wrote:

Not even then, it was just butt ugly from the beginning.  It looked like digital vomit.

Still can't really believe that as I just watched gameplay of it on YouTube and still looks half decent now for what the game is, it's meant to be dark and gloomy.

But didn't you also say you didn't think uncharted look like much, I'm hoping it was number 1 but if 2 or 3. Then well not sure what you want from a console in terms of graphics as someone like Balla I can understand he wasn't everything to be bright & colourful like a pixar movie.
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.   I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go. EmptyMon 9 Feb 2015 - 9:40

masofdas wrote:
oldschool wrote:
masofdas wrote:

Not even then, it was just butt ugly from the beginning.  It looked like digital vomit.

Still can't really believe that as I just watched gameplay of it on YouTube and still looks half decent now for what the game is, it's meant to be dark and gloomy.

But didn't you also say you didn't think uncharted look like much, I'm hoping it was number  1 but if 2 or 3. Then well not sure what you want from a console in terms of graphics as someone like Balla I can understand he wasn't everything to be bright & colourful like a pixar movie.  

There is dark and gloomy and there is digital vomit. I found Fallout 3 horrid to look at for much the same reason. It was the first Unchartered and it wasn't slightly ugly, just unremarkable, especially after having so many people go on about it. I do like a game to be cheery, like Eternal Sonata, one of my favourite games to look at, but I can go darker for atmospherics, like Bioshock or Resident Evil, Either way, it doesn't make it a good or bad game, but aesthetics can play a big part in your enjoyment - not unlike cartoons; love the look of say Angry Beavers, hate the look of Beavis & Butthead, which I refuse to watch due to how ugly it is.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.   I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go. EmptyMon 9 Feb 2015 - 9:45

No one goes on about Uncharted 1 though it's just a okay game, 2 is took everything that was good about the game and cranked it up to a 11.

Yeah Fallout 3 & NV do look like crap agree with that, can't Doom 3 though can that it's a bad game.
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.   I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go. EmptyMon 9 Feb 2015 - 9:53

masofdas wrote:
No one goes on about Uncharted 1 though it's just a okay game, 2 is took everything that was good about the game and cranked it up to a 11.

At the time they did, well in the circles I frequented at that juncture.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.   I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go. EmptyMon 9 Feb 2015 - 11:44

Still moving on with Metroid Prime. The only things that've annoyed me so far are the distance between save points, not being able to aim while moving, and the fiddliness of the first proper boss battle (Flaahgra (indeed, I think the aiming mechanic and the first-person perspective came a bit unstuck during that battle)).
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.   I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go. EmptyMon 9 Feb 2015 - 12:16

Ah, Flaahgra. My old nemesis. I found it immensely frustrating to fight, immensely rewarding to beat, and very well designed aesthetically. Probably one of my favourite bosses in gaming now.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.   I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go. EmptyMon 9 Feb 2015 - 12:22

Balladeer wrote:
Ah, Flaahgra.  My old nemesis.  I found it immensely frustrating to fight, immensely rewarding to beat, and very well designed aesthetically.  Probably one of my favourite bosses in gaming now.

It was a funny one for me. I failed against it three times because I kept fumbling the controls and rolling into the Morph Ball at crucial moments, but once I got heavy handed with the blaster and kept stunning it, I actually deactivated the four solar chargers twice without realising (ended up having to do it a second time because Flaahgra's vines blocked my way to the Morph Ball channel and recovered before I made it the whole way back around the arena). Extremely satisfying to beat, as you say.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.   I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go. EmptyMon 9 Feb 2015 - 23:26

I think House of the Dead: Overkill is my main ' I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go' game. I hated it when it first came out, and I remember going mental about it on NGamer a few times. It was like the original JRPG and the cause of every one that followed, I hated it that much.

Turns out it's actually all right! I gave it a few years and played it again just after the Wii U caame out.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.   I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go. EmptyMon 9 Feb 2015 - 23:52

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
I think House of the Dead: Overkill is my main ' I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go' game. I hated it when it first came out, and I remember going mental about it on NGamer a few times. It was like the original JRPG and the cause of every one that followed, I hated it that much.

Turns out it's actually all right! I gave it a few years and played it again just after the Wii U caame out.

Spoiler:

Oh man, I loved that game so much, right from the start, having never played one before. The humour and style was the best I have ever seen in a video game. So much of this was so very wrong, where you sat stunned thinking, 'wow, they said that?'. It is probably the most played Wii game in our home, still getting a run now and then.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.   I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go. EmptyFri 5 Aug 2016 - 12:43

Following a Cappa post in the 'Whatchoo Playin' On Tha Wii U, Willis?' thread, I'm playing Super Mario 3D World's post game. I took a dislike to it during the main game but what I'm playing now is brilliant. Should have known, really: EAD rarely put a foot (paw?) wrong. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.   I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go. EmptySun 21 Aug 2016 - 3:33

I have fully intended to give that game about walking around in the sand for a bit another try but every time I do I keep going back to something much more appealing. I promise I will give it another try though.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.   I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go. Empty

Back to top Go down

I thought it was rubbish, but I'm giving it another go.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next