Has It Really Been Nearly A Year? The One Year Of The Switch Vote Is Now Open!

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  GintendoGintendo  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
AuthorMessage
masofdas
Divine Beast Vah Medoh

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   Sun 11 Feb 2018 - 12:19

I'm putting this here as it's about numbers as Jas brought up recently about Metroid being arguably Nintendo's 3rd biggest series behind Mario and Zelda, historically yes, but as some pointed out things like Animal Crossing likely bigger now.

Which brings me to why I'm posting here is, as you look at how Metroid has been treated over the years and people have always said it hasn't sold well and why it hasn't had that many games, to me that's what it comes down to and I've done some research on 20 series and these are the numbers:

1. Mario Kart 13.3m avg, Got 8 Deluxe on Switch
2. Super Mario 9.2m avg, Got Odyssey but a 2D Mario could do big numbers
3. Pokemon 8.2m avg (If you count as Nintendo and not the Pokemon Company), Ones coming in 2018 or later
4. Super Smash Bros. 7.7m avg, Nothing announced yet
5. Animal Crossing 5.7m avg, Nothing announced yet
6. Splatoon 4.91m avg, Just had the sequel
7. Zelda 3.3m avg, Just had BotW and Hyrule Deluxe to come
8. Mario Party 2.8m avg, Nothing announced but rumours of 11 for early 2019
9. Donkey Kong 2.7m avg, We've got Tropical Freeze to come
10. Mario RPGs 2.1m avg, Nothing announced in either series
11. Yoshi 1.8m avg, That untitled game is coming
12. StarFox 1.7m avg, Might be a while for this one after Zero
13. Kirby 1.6m avg, Very soon we're getting a new Kirby
14. Mario Sports 1.3m avg (Doesn't include Olympics), We're getting what looks like a decent Tennis game
15. Metroid 1.3m avg, Prime 4 is coming at some-point
16. Golden Sun 1.3m avg, I want a new one of these and looking at the numbers it sells well enough
17. F-Zero 1.2m avg, Same as above but has Kart killed it or because we've has Kart 8 Deluxe maybe instead of 9 we get a new one of these
18. Fire Emblem 0.9 avg (Pre-Awakening takes this down otherwise more like 1.6m now), New one is coming this year
19. Pikmin 0.9 avg,, Pikmin 4 has been MIA for awhile
20. Nintendo Wars 0.4 avg, Maybe if Wargroove does well on Switch someone will make a new one but I think intelligent systems are to busy with FE for them to do it

Looking at the Switch, Pokemon along with Animal Crossing & Super Smash Bros will be big movers of the Switch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The_Jaster
Space Ark Pilot

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   Sun 11 Feb 2018 - 12:44

masofdas wrote:

I'm putting this here as it's about numbers as Jas brought up recently about Metroid being arguably Nintendo's 3rd biggest series behind Mario and Zelda, historically yes, but as some pointed out things like Animal Crossing likely bigger now.

Yeah, when I said that I wasn't saying it was the third biggest in terms of sales (because I find that side of games extremely boring) I was thinking purely in how influential the series is, folk get into games development because of games like Mario, Zelda & Metroid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
masofdas
Divine Beast Vah Medoh

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   Sun 11 Feb 2018 - 12:58

That's why I agree and why I said historically as I think you're right on about it being influential. I just looked at the replies and why would something like Animal Crossing be considered possibly bigger and sells is the easiest to measure but we've got things like Drunka posting about Splatoon in Japan, where you can how huge it is.

Just thinking after posting that and my comments about the Switch, most we've got or getting, do you think if Pokémon is 2018 would that mean something like a Animal Crossing has to be 2019?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Treesmurf
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   Mon 12 Feb 2018 - 21:35

They should definitely separate the two, maybe even leave a decent gap between them and Smash Bros unless it's going to be a deluxe edition in which case it should fit nicely alongside one of those.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
masofdas
Divine Beast Vah Medoh

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   Tue 13 Feb 2018 - 15:51

The longer we go without SMASHED, the more likely it's going to be SMASH5.

I can sort of predict Switch for 2018:
Feb Bayo 2
Mar Kirby
April Labo, Mario Tennis
May Donkey Kong
June Hyrule
July No More Heroes
Aug Yoshi
Sep Fire Emblem
Oct Project Octopath Traveller
Nov Pokemon
Dec TWEWY

Which is decent but if Pokemon is the later bit of 2018 or later, it feels like a another big title like Animal Crossing or SMASH might be needed, unless Nintendo thinks Fire Emblem can do more than Awakening which did between 2.25 & 2.5m and a few other 3rd party exclusives like SMTV can make up for a a big hitter.

I do think overall it's better than 2017 but could be missing that GOTY type game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Treesmurf
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   Thu 15 Feb 2018 - 1:05

Sounds about right that but there'll be a few more unannounced things in there I think, definitely a few months of more than one big game especially towards the end of the year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   Thu 15 Feb 2018 - 6:27

Can only agree with that. There's more - much more - than meets the eye with this year yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balladeer
Disciple of Koizumi

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   Thu 15 Feb 2018 - 20:43

Yup, yup, and yup. I do reckon the first half of this year will have pretty much what Mas says (maybe one or two more games, announced Directly to us), but from E3 onwards, all bets are off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
Divine Beast Vah Medoh

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   Yesterday at 15:58

Hopefully but does sort of brings up questions for 2019 for me but hey maybe we can see likes of a new F-Zero, Golden Sun, Kid Icarus etc

Anyway, FIFA 18 is the UK Number 1 which sounds boring but it's Number 1 due to the Switch as you may have seen it's been half price over the past week which has coursed FIFA 18s sells to increase by 500% on Switch along with getting it to number one in the all-format chart and at Number 9 on the individual chart and Number 2 on the Switch Chart behind Bayonetta 2.

Seems people will buy a half assessed version of FIFA as long as it's half the price.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balladeer
Disciple of Koizumi

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   Yesterday at 20:11

Yes, I'm... not sure whether that's a good thing. On the one hand, yay Switch third-party game selling well! On the other hand, disappointing hack job of Switch third-party game selling well. Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   Yesterday at 21:58

They’ve had to reduce the game in price ridiculously to achieve that - I’m going to hope that they’ve learned their lesson.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   

Back to top Go down

The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread
Page 11 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GNamer Forum :: Gaming Miscellaneous :: GNamer Gaming News-
Jump to: