We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rodea: The Sky Soldier

Go down 
+5
masofdas
oldschool
Admin
Balladeer
The Cappuccino Kid
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

Rodea: The Sky Soldier Empty
PostSubject: Rodea: The Sky Soldier   Rodea: The Sky Soldier EmptySat 21 Feb 2015, 09:01

BLOODY NORA! A third-party Wii U game. I made a thread for this on NGamer, that's long it's been in development. Still, here's a new trailer, completed with confirmation that it's out for Wii U (and 3DS...and even the Wii!) in Europe later this year.

Initial impressions? It's made by the folks involved with Let's Tap and Ivy The Kiwi?, so I'll likely give it a look. The assurances that it's an action-platformer from other websites also intrigues me.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier   Rodea: The Sky Soldier EmptySat 21 Feb 2015, 09:19

I'm actually getting a big Sonic vibe from the gameplay, especially where Devil-Boy dashes through all the collectables that go "bling". I'm not looking forward to the inevitably awful American dubbing, though.

Yep, I'll probably pick this up, so long as it's (a) well-received or (b) cheap. I'm guessing it's an eShop game?
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/ Online
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier   Rodea: The Sky Soldier EmptySat 21 Feb 2015, 10:51

I wrote a piece about this eons ago for 3DS Tribe. It's by Yuji Naka, what's not to like?

And it reminds me of a cross between NiGHTS and Sin and Punishment, with a Skies of Arcadia visual style.
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier   Rodea: The Sky Soldier EmptySat 21 Feb 2015, 11:46

Stu_the_great wrote:
I wrote a piece about this eons ago for 3DS Tribe. It's by Yuji Naka, what's not to like?

And it reminds me of a cross between NiGHTS and Sin and Punishment, with a Skies of Arcadia visual style.

It certainly looks like a Wii game, and I don't mean that in a bad way. I really like to look and feel of it, so like Balla, as long as it reviews reasonably well, and the price isn't at the top end, I will certainly be looking to get it.
Back to top Go down
http://aspergamer.webs.com/apps/forums/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier   Rodea: The Sky Soldier EmptySat 21 Feb 2015, 18:13

I saw this a while back and thought I doubt we will get but NIS doing there normal bring something niche to the west.

@Balla it's a retail game and seeing it's niche & on the Wii U, I would be buying day one if I were you.

@Cappa I see you bring up the Wii version which is a different game to the U version, are we getting that as well as in Japan the Wiii version was packed in with the special edition Wii U version.

Last edited by masofdas on Sat 21 Feb 2015, 23:45; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier   Rodea: The Sky Soldier EmptySat 21 Feb 2015, 23:18

masofdas wrote:
I saw this a while back and thought I doubt we will get but NIS doing there normal bring something niche to the west.

@Balla it's a retail game and seeing it's niche & on the Wii U, I would be buying day one if I ere you.

@Cappa I see you bring up the Wii version which is a different game to the U version, are we getting that as well as in Japan the Wiii version was packed in with the special edition Wii U version.

If it is a special edition with the Wii game included, then I will probably get it quite early, as you are probably right in that it will become hard to get later.
Back to top Go down
http://aspergamer.webs.com/apps/forums/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier   Rodea: The Sky Soldier EmptySun 22 Feb 2015, 07:20

What is the point of including the Wii game with the Wii U game? It makes no sense to me whatsoever. Confused
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier   Rodea: The Sky Soldier EmptySun 22 Feb 2015, 07:29

There different games , I believe that the game was done pretty much on Wii but by this happened the Wii U was out in full swing that they started again.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier   Rodea: The Sky Soldier EmptySun 22 Feb 2015, 07:31

...That's even more confusing. So there are two different games with the same name, playable on the same console? And what about the 3DS game - is that a different game too?

Rodea: The Sky Soldier 971002BB-ACAC-4C7F-BC80-61EB11954EC8
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier   Rodea: The Sky Soldier EmptySun 22 Feb 2015, 07:38

I think that's the same as the Wii U,  the Wii U one is the proper game.  I think they've gone we've got this finished game here let's put in the special edition (which we are getting) for people that have been waiting for this as a thanks.

It's kinda like if Nintendo gave people that bought star fox 64  and we're given star fox 2 as well back in the day.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier   Rodea: The Sky Soldier EmptySun 22 Feb 2015, 09:24

Looks intriguing! The gameplay reminded me of the flying sections of Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, the (er) flying sections of Skyward Sword, NiGHTS, Jet Force Gemini... a lot of different but great games. As oldschool mentions, if it reviews well, I'm in. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier   Rodea: The Sky Soldier EmptyThu 02 Apr 2015, 22:11

Just got the press release for this, it's coming Sep 25th
Rodea: The Sky Soldier Rodea_10
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier   Rodea: The Sky Soldier EmptyThu 09 Apr 2015, 10:52

Info on the limited edition, hopefully we will get here.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier   Rodea: The Sky Soldier EmptyFri 17 Apr 2015, 23:16

To add to what masofdas said, the 3DS version is indeed a port of the Wii U game, but I wouldn't call the Wii U version the "proper game".

Yuji Naka finished Rodea back in 2011, when his original vision for the game was a pointer based freeform flying game, a spiritual successor to NiGHTS that used the Wii Remote. Then he had to work on Wii U/3DS versions as the Wii withered on the vine -- Kadokawa Games must have forced him to rework the controls around the GamePad, likely because the Wii U wasn't bundled with a Wii Remote:

"One unfortunate thing about the Wii U announcement: It doesn't come with a Wii remote, so Rodea and all the other Wii titles I created, people won't be able to play it with a Wii remote. They'll have to use the Wii U GamePad.

I created the game specifically for the Wii remote, so it's going to turn into a totally different experience. I'm really down about that because Rodea is a really good game."

A few long years later and we have two versions of the game which were remade around entirely different input devices: the Wii U GamePad and 3DS. Needless to say, I think the Wii version of the game looks dramatically more appealing -- the differences are notable in terms of how smooth they play and how they must feel to control.

Here's some videos for comparison's sake:
Wii: https://youtu.be/pt5h9nMDLDA
Wii U: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDmpS9_OD7I

For me then, the limited edition is a must buy, as I really want that Wii disc. The Wii U version will be played, but I'm here first and foremost for the NiGHTS successor, which just looks slicker and less janky. The Wii U game seems to have some serious frame rate problems, and controlling the aiming reticule with the stick isn't going to be as satisfying as the Wii pointer.

Last edited by fronkhead on Fri 17 Apr 2015, 23:36; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier   Rodea: The Sky Soldier EmptyFri 17 Apr 2015, 23:35

Excuse the double post.

It also seems that the game had quite a troubled development period, which would explain the massive changes made in the 2-3 years after the Wii version finished development.

"According to Naka, out of the 9 years of existence since the establishment of Prope, they’ve never had as many arguments as they did while working on Rodea."
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier   Rodea: The Sky Soldier EmptySat 18 Apr 2015, 09:19

Maybe the term would be the Wii U version is the one most likely to be played as after limited edition no Wii Version and I guess eShop will just be Wii U.

But some good info there fronk, I will try the Wii Version but as I don't like motion controls and found very few games use them well, I'm more likely to play the Wii U version.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier   Rodea: The Sky Soldier EmptySat 18 Apr 2015, 09:37

fronkhead wrote:

Yuji Naka finished Rodea back in 2011, when his original vision for the game was a pointer based freeform flying game, a spiritual successor to NiGHTS that used the Wii Remote.

That's what interests in me Rodea too. NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams should have been amazing on Wii, but it was badly let down by the erratic pointer controls and unreasonably confined movement scale (and that it just isn't wasn't that brilliant a game as it was). For them to have another crack at it is, for me, the whole point of Sky Soldier.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier   Rodea: The Sky Soldier EmptySat 18 Apr 2015, 21:53

I just remembered that NiGHTS followup existed! Apparently it was developed in San Francisco, now that's news to me.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier   Rodea: The Sky Soldier EmptyThu 30 Apr 2015, 10:32

Limited Edition preorders are up,

I went for English as all my Wii U games are UK PAL at the moment but there is a option for AUS/NZ which is £10 cheaper and I did everything but pay and it looks like I could of got that for the £10 less but I don't they might of suddenly added the tax when you click pay.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier   Rodea: The Sky Soldier EmptyTue 10 Nov 2015, 09:10

This comes out this week with the Wii U & 3DS versions available on the eShop or at retail with the Wii U version if you pick up the launch edition you'll get that Wii disc as well.

Also the limited edition is still available to order on NIS with 5% left and Nintendo UK store but reckon it will become hard to find just look at Project Zero & other more weird Wii U games already. Retro shop I went yesterday is thinking about getting in to Wii U already as it's a collectors console.

Looking at the old posts balla said about reviews well it's not great Meta for Wii U version is 59 (4 reviews) here's Destructoid's take and the 3DS has a Meta of 45 (2 reviews) here's God is a Geek's take

From what I've read on the old Internet, is the Wii version is far superior in every way (I just can't find any reviews) but what I don't get is Pikmin 3 for instance let you play with a gamepad or wiimote motion controls, why didn't they just do the same for this.

But basically if you want to play this game you got to get a Wii U launch version.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier   Rodea: The Sky Soldier EmptyTue 10 Nov 2015, 10:14

Well bugger that for a game of soldiers!

Also the hero reminds me of some kind of weird Blaziken-Deoxys hybrid.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier   Rodea: The Sky Soldier EmptyTue 10 Nov 2015, 10:25

Is it a a issue as if the Wii game is good then just ordering the game now on Wii U before it becomes hard to find and as a Wii U has mode, all you need is a wiimote.

But then your paying £40 for a Wii game but what else there on Nintendo systems at the moment not much.

Update

NLife has given Wii U version got a 6/10 and I've had a few tweets with Fronk and he says the same Wii U & 3DS dire but Wii version is good & wish he could just get a Wii version. I think he reviewed for what ever site he reviews for but he doesn't put links out from what I gather on his personal twitter.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier   Rodea: The Sky Soldier EmptyTue 10 Nov 2015, 16:38

Good job I have the special edition pre-ordered then. I wasn't sure which version I should be playing, but wii version it is!
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier   Rodea: The Sky Soldier EmptyTue 10 Nov 2015, 17:32

From Nintendo Life's review:

Quote :

Sky Soldier is first and foremost a Yuji Naka game. It looks, sounds and plays like many of his previous forays into the realm of 3D platforming. This is both a gift and curse, as it shares their charms but also their aggravating gameplay flaws. If you've ever played Sonic Adventure for the GameCube or NiGHTS Journey of Dreams for the Wii, then you'll have a good idea what to expect from Sky Soldier.
http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu/rodea_the_sky_soldier

There's two games that I liked well enough but always thought could have been much better. Nonetheless, I wasn't going into Sky Soldier expecting another Sonic Generations or NiGHTS Into Dreams, so I think I can live with it being "Not Bad". I've endured worse on Wii U. Sonic Boom set the bar so low, it's crashed through the floor.

That said, I'm another for who it's all about the Wii version. My plan was to get the day one version of Rodea on launch, take out the Wii disc, keep that, and see if I could punt the Wii U version down at CEX.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier   Rodea: The Sky Soldier EmptyTue 10 Nov 2015, 17:36

More than likely as it's a freebie and it's CEX, or just eBay it or something.

Will you play both versions though before punting?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier   Rodea: The Sky Soldier Empty

Back to top Go down

Rodea: The Sky Soldier
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GNamer Forum :: GNamer Forum :: Nintendo Gen. VIII Discussion (and Mobile)-
Jump to: