Where We're Squashed Under The Weight Of eShop Releases

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  GintendoGintendo  SONMSONM  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Work Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: The Work Thread   Wed 27 Sep 2017 - 19:46

With apologies to GJones (I have about as much to say about data officering as he does about actuaries, I suspect - glad it has its perks, though), I'm going to jump in and redo mine:

So what do you do for a living?  Mostly, I play around with Excel spreadsheets.  Occasionally I write Word documents.  Often my eyes hurt from staring at a screen too much.  Now... pretty much the same actually, only there's more PowerPoint and occasionally I do some programming. Is more fun! No, really.

What's your job title/profession?  Actuary.  Or rather, actuarial student until I pass all the exams.  Essentially, we try to predict future trends by looking at past trends. Qualified actuary woop woop!

How long have you been doing it?  Getting on for 3.5 years now. Six years, current role for almost 2.

Do you enjoy?  I have never deluded myself into thinking that I'm going to "enjoy" my job.  It finances the things that I do enjoy, and provides me with security to prevent me having to do things I'd enjoy less.  Occasionally it's interesting, sometimes even intellectually stimulating.  I do like actuaries as a species, though - although recently, I've not been having such a good time at work, for reasons largely beyond my control. That was my old boss. I now have a new boss, and the stuff I look at is more interesting. I probably still don't "enjoy" my job, but job satisfaction is higher.

Was it what you had planned on doing/studied for?  Nope.  I entered uni. with very little idea of what I wanted to do, had an idea midway through that I might go into academia, and only really admitted to myself in my Masters year that I wasn't bright/motivated enough to do a PhD for minimal money. (This hasn't changed.)

Do you plan to keep at it?  Yup.  Pass the exams and qualify, and I get a whopping great payrise that should allow me a little more freedom. Payrise wasn't that whopping. Still doing it though!

In Gunman Clive 2, Clive rides a panda.  What's your mount of choice?  Something that overbalances all the time.  Let's say an ostrich - they don't look too stable. A Zamtrios. Theresa May can have the wobbly and unstable bird.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/

The Work Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2