We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII)

Go down 
+9
fronkhead
ZeroJones
The_Jaster
JayMoyles
oldschool
Slazo
masofdas
Athrun888
Balladeer
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII)   Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII) - Page 3 EmptySun 22 Jan 2017 - 11:52

I was enthusiastic about this at one point, but was so very badly burned by VII that I'm waiting to read some views on that specifically (Nintendo Life completely glossed over it and gave VII a 9/10 Eh? ) before I commit.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII)   Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII) - Page 3 EmptySun 22 Jan 2017 - 12:28

It's on my birthday list.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII)   Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII) - Page 3 EmptySun 22 Jan 2017 - 13:06

Balladeer wrote:
I was enthusiastic about this at one point, but was so very badly burned by VII that I'm waiting to read some views on that specifically (Nintendo Life completely glossed over it and gave VII a 9/10 Eh? ) before I commit.

God Is A Geek mentioned a difficult start in VIII (erk), but that it is still a great game. As a DQ fanboy I'm in regardless but will definitely have to have some time out between the two.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII)   Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII) - Page 3 EmptySun 22 Jan 2017 - 13:09

Update

Push Square the PlayStation version of NLife even has this article up on how great it is.

I said its on my birthday list and if I get it then great but if I don't unlike the other three games on the list, I'm not going to go buy it as I sort want it on Switch.

Its nothing to do with the 3DS but I'd sooner now play all my handheld games on my new shiny hybrid, which is getting 3/4 Dragon Quest games at some point.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII)   Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII) - Page 3 EmptySun 22 Jan 2017 - 18:47

I've picked it up, but I'm not enamored with it so far, I'd say the start feels slower than VII. It's a JRPG though, so I wasn't expecting to fall in love that quickly innit.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII)   Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII) - Page 3 EmptySun 22 Jan 2017 - 20:33

Whilst RPG's can be slow starters, DQVII's early pace is almost criminal: nearly two hours before your first fight, and over twenty hours before you get introduced to the job system? That's sluggish by any standard. If VIII is slower than that, then the devs learned nothing. Thumbs Down...
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII)   Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII) - Page 3 EmptySun 22 Jan 2017 - 20:41

I wonder if it's time and a place thing though as ones a remake of a game from 2000 on the PS1 and the other is pretty much a port of a game from 2004 on PS2 but people are still saying that's one still good.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII)   Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII) - Page 3 EmptySun 22 Jan 2017 - 20:52

The battles are there straight away this time, but I think I'm about 4-5 hours in and the battle system is still very basic and I've only just got my 3rd party member. Whilst VII lacked the battles at the start the world was more interesting and the plot had my more gripped. This could change at any minute of course!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII)   Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII) - Page 3 EmptyMon 23 Jan 2017 - 21:01

Sounds like it can shove right off, then.  A shame. Sad (Incidentally I thought DQVII's world and characters were dull as all heck until you went back in time.)
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII)   Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII) - Page 3 EmptyMon 23 Jan 2017 - 21:04

I would wait for a ZeroJones report as you know what Andys like Winky Face as people can't be giving it as much praise as it's getting and being called maybe the best Dragon Quest for no reason.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII)   Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII) - Page 3 EmptyMon 23 Jan 2017 - 22:20

Bit 'arsh. Winky Face

I'll let you know but two things - a), you'll be waiting a while, and b), if it tops IX in my estimation, I'll be totally delighted. Grin
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII)   Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII) - Page 3 EmptyTue 24 Jan 2017 - 9:17

So far it just feels like I'm lacking the impact on the world that I've come to associate with Dragon Quest. I've not come into town and tidied up the mess, I'm just constantly moving forward onto the next town. It's starting to fall into place a bit now, but I can't see this pinching much time away from Yakuza 0 whilst I'm at home...
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII)   Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII) - Page 3 EmptySat 22 Jul 2017 - 11:27

Took this out for a brief outing earlier. I think either the B team were programming DQVII or VIII was a prettier game to begin with, because it is stunning. My one problem so far is that the sprites aren't chibi, so Hero looks oddly tall to me. All my issue, of course.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII)   Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII) - Page 3 EmptySat 22 Jul 2017 - 16:52

A odd one for prettiness as this is a port of a PS2 game which looked better then its PS1 counter part but VII on 3DS is a remake, that you would think with the time remaking it that it would look better then a PS2 port.

Be good to know how you get on as VIII is the one I'm always told is the best DQ game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII)   Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII) - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dragon Quest VIII (Not Long To W-VIII)
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3