We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Counting Classics on Consoles

Go down 
+10
Crumpy Andy
Jimbob
Dead Lemon
The_Jaster
masofdas
Buskalilly
JayMoyles
The Cappuccino Kid
ZeroJones
Balladeer
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Counting Classics on Consoles Empty
PostSubject: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles EmptySun 2 Aug 2015 - 12:24

With one voting thread finished and a while to go until the next one, some comments from me and Mas in the Iwata votes thread have given me an idea to fill the gap.  Essentially a series of quickfire one-week vote-esque thingies (technical term), to establish lists of classic games on consoles.  As much inspired by Cappa's A Game Everybody Likes? thread as anything else.

Rules

Short version:

Every week, I name a console.  I'll say some games that I think were classics on that console.  You agree or disagree and suggest some more potential classics.  And so it goes on.  At the end of the week I tally up the agreed-upon classics and we move onto the next machine.

Details:

Currently counting classics on: a non-Nintendo console of some variety (or maybe several!).

Decided-upon classics:

NES:

GB(C):

SNES:

N64:

GBA:

GC:

DS:

Wii:

Last edited by Balladeer on Sat 26 Sep 2015 - 9:16; edited 11 times in total (Reason for editing : I'm done here.)
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles EmptySun 2 Aug 2015 - 12:25

Okay, so let's start with some obvious suggestions. I'm going to go with:

Super Mario Bros.
The Legend of Zelda
Final Fantasy
(the original)
and, to throw in a wildcard pick, Earthbound Beginnings/Mother

Agree? Disagree? And what are the other classics? Let's-a go! Smile
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles EmptySun 2 Aug 2015 - 12:37

Agree, agree, disagree (clunkier than a robot made of tarmac with square wheels) and unsure yet (leaning to agree).

Suggest: Super Mario Bros. 3 and Solar Jetman.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles EmptySun 2 Aug 2015 - 13:09

Balladeer wrote:
Okay, so let's start with some obvious suggestions.  I'm going to go with:

Super Mario Bros. - AGREE
The Legend of Zelda - ...AGREE. ISH.
Final Fantasy
(the original) -DISAGREE
and, to throw in a wildcard pick, Earthbound Beginnings/Mother - NO COMMENT

ZeroJones wrote:

Super Mario Bros. 3 - AGREE
Solar Jetman - AGREE

Punch-Out!!, Kirby's Adventure and R.C. Pro AM are my three NES classics.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles EmptySun 2 Aug 2015 - 15:11

[quote="Balladeer"]Okay, so let's start with some obvious suggestions.  I'm going to go with:

Super Mario Bros. - AGREE
The Legend of Zelda - AGREE
Final Fantasy (the original) - DISAGREE (really clunky and ugly to look at. Its remakes far exceed this one.)
Earthbound Beginnings/Mother - DISAGREE (Earthbound is essentially the same game bar a few minor plot points, and it's far better.)
Super Mario Bros. 3 - AGREE
Solar Jetman - NO COMMENT (Not played it!)
Punch-Out!! -AGREE
Kirby's Adventure -AGREE
R.C. Pro AM - NO COMMENT (Not played it either!)

I'd like to put forward Mega Man II, Mega Man III and Castlevania III.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles EmptySun 2 Aug 2015 - 15:32

Quote :
Super Mario Bros. -AGREED, OBVIOUSLY
The Legend of Zelda -AGREED
Final Fantasy -DISAGREE. I don't think a lot of people have much feeling for FF games before the SNES.
Mother -AGREED
Super Mario Bros. 3 - AGREE
Solar Jetman - NO COMMENT
Punch-Out!! -AGREE 
Kirby's Adventure -AGREE
R.C. Pro AM - NO COMMENT
 Mega Man II- AGREED
 Mega Man III - DISAGREE not bad, but fairly similar to two which is the memorable one.
 Castlevania III- AGREE

Hmm... We've got most of the biggest hitters. I'd suggest maybe Metroid, though I don't think most people will agree before Super Metroid. Nintendo would have us believe Urban Champions belongs on this list, but they can do one. I'd add Balloon Fight, which is still genuinely fun to play, and Duck Tales.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles EmptySun 2 Aug 2015 - 16:04

Super Mario Bros. -AGREE
The Legend of Zelda -AGREE
Final Fantasy -DISAGREE as when I think FF and classics in the series this isn't one of them
Mother - DISAGREE
Super Mario Bros. 3 - AGREE
Solar Jetman - If it was classic I would no more about it, so I'm saying DISAGREE
Punch-Out!! -AGREE 
Kirby's Adventure -AGREE
R.C. Pro AM - If it was classic I would no more about it, so I'm saying DISAGREE
Mega Man II - AGREED
Mega Man III - DISAGREE as I would put Number 2 in over it and is more of a Classic
Castlevania III - I'm going DISAGREE as isn't Simons Quest the better one on the NES & more of a Classic
Metroid - DISAGREE
Balloon Fight - AGREE
Duck Tales - AGREE

I'm putting forward these 4 (Zero only put 2 forward and everyone else 3 that it's averages out) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Duck Hunt, Battletoads and River City Ransom

Also a good thread idea, will we be doing known Nintendo systems as like you said Balla you don't like Tetris & Goldeneye (both madness) but know there classic, that I can't see why couldn't do PS1 for instance as if you don't like or played the games you surely know that SOTN is a classic.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles EmptySun 2 Aug 2015 - 16:35

Spoiler:
Duck Hunt isn't great fun to play today, but it is undoubtedly a big nostalgia game.
Ninja Turtles is pretty awful, and is mostly remembered for such.
Battletoads I've not played but Rare Replay is soon...
River City is pretty good, I'll give you that. BARF.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles EmptySun 2 Aug 2015 - 17:47

masofdas wrote:

Castlevania III - I'm going DISAGREE as isn't Simons Quest the better one on the NES & more of a Classic

Also a good thread idea, will we be doing known Nintendo systems as like you said Balla you don't like Tetris & Goldeneye (both madness) but know there classic, that I can't see why couldn't do PS1 for instance as if you don't like or played the games you surely know that SOTN is a classic.

Where'd you hear about Simon's Quest being better?  Laughing It's pretty widely accepted as one of the worst Castlevanias.

Agreed to your second point though - once we rattle through the Nintendo systems, I'd love to do this for other consoles.

And, here's me chiming on the games posted here since I last visited:

Spoiler:

Last edited by JayMoyles on Sun 2 Aug 2015 - 18:52; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles EmptySun 2 Aug 2015 - 17:53

masofdas wrote:
If it was classic I would no more about it, so I'm saying DISAGREE

Surely Balladeer has the good sense to ignore this utterly shite patter.

Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles EmptySun 2 Aug 2015 - 18:01

That's a fair point from Cappa. Surely if you've not played the game you should put down "no comment" and move on?
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles EmptySun 2 Aug 2015 - 18:38

Spoiler:

My suggestions: Probotector (aka Contra), Boulder Dash, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles EmptySun 2 Aug 2015 - 19:03

And we've got thousands already. I'm going to regret this, aren't I? Laughing I'll tally them all up next post.

JayMoyles wrote:
That's a fair point from Cappa. Surely if you've not played the game you should put down "no comment" and move on?

Erm... I was going to do exactly the same thing! Embarrassed I pride myself on knowing my Ninty games, but while I've heard of Jetpac, I've never heard of Solar Jetman. For me, that's a sign of a non-classic. In the face of popular opinion, I'll change that to an abstain when I do my votes, but I'm not going to tell Mas not to.

masofdas wrote:

This is a case of, "It's already in the rules." By my reckoning I've got NES, Game Boy (inc. Colour), SNES, N64, GBA, GC, DS, and Wii to do. After those burn up, very happy to let others do other consoles, so long as they're willing to keep the tally for that week. Smile
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles EmptySun 2 Aug 2015 - 19:31

Game title - Y/N/A For-against

SMB - Y 8-0 SETTLED
LoZ - Y 8-0 SETTLED
FF1 - Y 2-5 SETTLED
EB - Y 3-2
SMB3 - Y 8-0 SETTLED
Solar Jetman - A 3-1
P-O!! - Y 7-0 SETTLED
Kirby - A 6-0 SETTLED
RC Pro-AM - Y 4-1
MMII - Y 6-0 SETTLED
MMIII - N 2-4
Castlevania III - A 5-1 SETTLED
Metroid - N 3-5
Balloon Fight - N 5-1 SETTLED
Duck Tales - Y 5-0 SETTLED
TMNT - A 2-5 SETTLED
Duck Hunt - Y 6-0 SETTLED
Battletoads - A 5-1 SETTLED
RCR - A 4-0 SETTLED
Probotector - Y 5-1 SETTLED
Boulder Dash - A 2-1
Chip 'n' Dale - A 4-1
SMB2 - N 3-3
SRnR - A 4-0 SETTLED
DK - Y 3-0
LoZ2AoL - N 1-2

And that's where I reckon we are.  Can people please not vote for the games with SETTLED next to them, unless they're voting opposite to the prevailing direction?  It's hard for me to keep up with these otherwise, and I reckon games like SMB and LoZ don't need any further agreement.

To jump in and defend Final Fantasy briefly, it's a clunky old bastard and, even among the NES games, FFIII probably roasts it - however, it was Square's last roll of the dice, and led to a series that now numbers more than fourteen instalments.  It set that template for a series that has gone onto be wildly successful.  That, for me, puts it among the classics.

But it's been almost unanimously shot down, so bleah.  Into the lava!

Last edited by Balladeer on Thu 6 Aug 2015 - 8:07; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : Jimbob-ed.)
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles EmptySun 2 Aug 2015 - 19:41

You'll see the same things spoiling this that knackered the 'Games We All Like' thread a couple of years ago; there's too many muppets that are all too happy to wade in with the 'I think Disney Meteos is an awful game that I've never played' type nonsense. Time wasted driving out that utter keech is time much better spent playing the likes of Solar Jetman.

Thumbs Down...
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles EmptySun 2 Aug 2015 - 19:51

I'm happy to take that risk!  Partly because this isn't a "is this a good game" thread, but "is this a classic".  If it's a classic then that, to me, says that any Ninty fan worth their salt (and most that aren't - reckon we all are though) should know it.  And a couple of awry votes won't overturn a game's classic status anyway - pluses only need to outnumber minuses by 2.

If you disagree, I'm happy to discuss the definition of a "classic".  Suffice to say that I've heard of the overwhelming majority of games on that list, from some source or other - this is the first time I can remember seeing the game title Solar Jetman.

EDIT: I've also upvoted games I've never played because I know they're classics anyway. Grin

Also I didn't think the GWAL thread was spoiled at all - it just set quite a very high passing criterion, and still got loads of games in its OP.  And:

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
'I think Disney Meteos is an awful game that I've never played'

I thought that we'd sorted the DM "thing" out in that thread.  If not, happy to clarify, but please don't slip it in like that. Aww!

Last edited by Balladeer on Sun 2 Aug 2015 - 20:17; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles EmptySun 2 Aug 2015 - 19:54

Balladeer wrote:

To jump in and defend Final Fantasy briefly, it's a clunky old bastard and, even among the NES games, FFIII probably roasts it - however, it was Square's last roll of the dice, and led to a series that now numbers more than fourteen instalments.  It set that template for a series that has gone onto be wildly successful.  That, for me, puts it among the classics.

It's historically important, sure, but I don't think historical importance earns a "classic" status. But hey ho, moot point as it's in the lava!

For the latest batch, I can only chime in on Probotector/Contra, which gets a yes from me!
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles EmptySun 2 Aug 2015 - 20:26

Erm....probably being dumb here but what does Y/N/A stand for?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles EmptySun 2 Aug 2015 - 20:28

I debated over whether to define that or not, and came down on the wrong side. Embarrassed Whether I personally voted yes/no/abstain.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles EmptySun 2 Aug 2015 - 20:43

I feel some of that is aimed at me the muppet bit and I don't need to come on a gaming forum that is meant to be fun for abuse, as Balla pointed out at the very start he doesn't like Goldeneye or Tetris but he knows both of those are classic games and I would gather he would say Agree with both of them.

That everyone has heard of and knows of,  Solar Jetman I've never heard or played how is something I've never heard of a classic. I didn't like Earthbound from what I played but I know that's a classic and will say Agree when we do SNES at the comes up.

I'm just following to me the rules Balla set out at the start , not games we like or think are the best but we believe are classics.

are we not doing the Virtual Boy
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles EmptySun 2 Aug 2015 - 20:57

I'm not. If people think it has enough classics after my weeks are done, by all means go for it.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles EmptySun 2 Aug 2015 - 21:00

That was a Joke that bit to lighten the mode but thanks Balla as from yours post seems you agree with me about the likes of Solar Jetman not being a classic.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles EmptySun 2 Aug 2015 - 21:03

If I've not heard of it, it's no classic to me! That said, I'm surprised that you never heard of RC Pro AM: videogames magazines blathered on about it incessantly, if I recall rightly. Voted it Y just because I'd heard it pop up so much (and talked of in positive terms, natch).
Back to top Go down
Dead Lemon
FMK Tagline
Dead Lemon

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles EmptyTue 4 Aug 2015 - 2:40

I know you said to ignore the ones that have been settled but i'm just going to ignore that and have my say on them all. Whether I agree if they're a classic or not

SMB - Agree
LoZ - Yes
FF1 - Yes
EB - Yes
SMB3 - Yes
Solar Jetman - Abstain
P-O!! - Yes
Kirby - Yes
RC Pro-AM - Yes
MMII - Yes
MMIII - No
Castlevania III - Yes
Metroid - No
Balloon Fight - Yes
Duck Tales - Yes
TMNT - No
Duck Hunt - Yes
Battletoads - Yes
RCR - Yes
Probotector - Yes
Boulder Dash - Abstae
Chip 'n' Dale - Yes

I'll add a 2 for consideration:

Super Mario Bros 2 - The bastard child of NES Mario games, doesn't get the love or respect it deserves. I'd rate it about the same as SMB personally.

Snake Rattle n' Roll - One of the finest co-op games on the NES, great fun.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles EmptyTue 4 Aug 2015 - 9:11

DAMN YOU!

It's a no from me for SMB2.  Not really Mario, not really very good, followed up in bits and pieces rather than wholesale.  Abstain on SRnR: heard it mentioned a lot, not quite enough to make it an automatic classic, never played it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles Empty

Back to top Go down

Counting Classics on Consoles
Page 1 of 21Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next