We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)

Go down 
+13
ThorOfAsgard
shanks
Treesmurf
Crumpy Andy
OrangeRakoon
Jimbob
masofdas
Buskalilly
The_Jaster
ZeroJones
JayMoyles
The Cappuccino Kid
Balladeer
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)   Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks) - Page 2 EmptyWed 9 Mar 2016 - 22:34

Drunkalilly wrote:
ZeroJones wrote:
Also, this is the tipping point for the series: it's a 2-2 draw between Paper Mario and TTYD vs. Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star. Just thought I'd say.

That's a little arbitrary; SPM was nothing like any of the others, especially not SS. Really, all four games are pretty different. If this one is like SS, that'll be the first two really similar games in the series.

Plus, I really liked Super!

There's a fair wodge of truth in that, Drunka; SPM had the helper characters, to be sure. I felt it to be the start of the series moving away from the TTYD gameplay. That said, it was the first Paper Mario game I'd ever played. Judging it as a standalone game, I felt it to be good but not great - the perspective-switching mechanic was not as well used as it could have been and a number of the worlds were not great. After playing Paper Mario and TTYD, it didn't shine any brighter.

Sticker Star, as a game on its own merits, was also lacking. The cards mechanic was close to brilliant but most bosses needing a specific card to score massive damage was frustrating at best.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)   Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks) - Page 2 EmptyWed 9 Mar 2016 - 22:37

SPM was also my first, and remains the only one I've finished. I might not look on it as fondly had I played the others, but it definitely doesn't deserve to be lumped in with Sticker Star, an actually bad game.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)   Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks) - Page 2 EmptyThu 10 Mar 2016 - 8:19

I wasn't putting them together in quality terms - more as a pair of games in the same series as their predecessors that had moved away from the strict RPG trappings of those predecessors. In terms of the quality, our opinions coincide.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)   Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks) - Page 2 EmptyThu 10 Mar 2016 - 10:23

That's more fair; two pure RPGs and two deviances.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)   Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks) - Page 2 EmptyThu 10 Mar 2016 - 17:22

It was the backtracking and the guesswork that knackered Sticker Star for me, but otherwise I like the direction that the Paper Mario series has taken.

On aonther note, surely Paper Jam is the Paper Mario RPG that people are longing for, no? Would that not have a similar sort of storyline, battle system, character roster and humour as TTYD? Is it not practically the same thing? Or am I horribly mistaken?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)   Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks) - Page 2 EmptyThu 10 Mar 2016 - 17:28

I liked Paper Jam, but it felt more like an M&L than a Paper Mario. And I know you disagree, Cappa, but what I loved most of all about TTYD was the setting and cast: completely divorced from the Mushroom Kingdom, a strange place, a story with epic scope, and many non-traditional characters for the series. PJB didn't have those, and I think you'd need a home console game to do justice to the scope.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)   Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks) - Page 2 EmptyFri 11 Mar 2016 - 0:11

I think Cappa may have nailed why Nintendo have taken the Paper Mario games another route, while M&L games are different to PM like balla says they are still both RPGs set around Mario so Nintendo have probably thought why have two?

Well, that's one reason the other is Mr Miyamoto himself wanted them to be more traditional. *sigh*
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)   Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks) - Page 2 EmptyFri 11 Mar 2016 - 0:57

Well it's a very pretty game at least...

To be honest I'd be well up for a Super Paper Mario type game if I couldn't have the more traditional RPG style, I still found that great fun. The sticker star style however, just pure dross, I gave up like most others, nothing at all worked well.

So I'm very much in the "no thanks" camp, not worth my time or money.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)   Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks) - Page 2 EmptyFri 11 Mar 2016 - 11:09

The_Jaster wrote:
Well, that's one reason the other is Mr Miyamoto himself wanted them to be more traditional. *sigh*

While Shigsy is a wonderful wonderful man, he's dead wrong on this one. Dead dead wrong.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)   Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks) - Page 2 EmptyMon 14 Mar 2016 - 19:57

Never let it be said I don't present both sides of an argument.

I don't agree with what he's said about the battle system, and he's circumvented the level select screen topic entirely, but...
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)   Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks) - Page 2 EmptyTue 15 Mar 2016 - 19:45

I'm not going to judge it too quickly myself. For me, there's just not enough to go on. A lot of people are saying 'I know what I see here, and it's not Paper Mario'...nut.

I judged a few games too quickly before, and was proven to be very, very mistaken. Does anybody remember the first trailer for Super Mario 3D World that was shown at E3 2012?

It looked baws, but it ended up being distinctly un-baws. The same goes for the original demo for Super Mario 3D Land - I played it six months before the game came out and it was bloody awful, but it too wound up being brilliant.

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)   Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks) - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Jun 2016 - 20:07

We've got a date in USA at least for Oct 7th.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)   Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks) - Page 2 EmptyThu 16 Jun 2016 - 7:02

Confirmed to be less fun than shoving lollipop sticks into dog turds.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)   Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks) - Page 2 EmptyThu 16 Jun 2016 - 8:05

I can't deny my disappointment that it now seems certain that the gameplay is more in line with Sticker Star - the 'must figure out what card to use to defeat the boss' didn't feel as exciting as the ebb and flow of a more traditional boss fight. Still likely to buy, though.
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)   Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks) - Page 2 EmptyThu 16 Jun 2016 - 8:19

Yeah it reminds me of Sticker star as well which makes me think "eh" to be honest, I may get it but since I barely get time to play my Wii U chances are it'll never get finished
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)   Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks) - Page 2 EmptyThu 16 Jun 2016 - 8:32

I won't. Voting with my wallet. I really want to "encourage" Nintendo back to the previous style of Paper Mario, where they did things that were exciting and new; and while I'm sure it'll sell like the aforementioned dog turds anyway (late-era surely-not-good Wii U game), I want to help make sure.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)   Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks) - Page 2 EmptyThu 16 Jun 2016 - 11:54

Such a shame really because that's the best a Paper Mario game has ever looked in the visual department.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)   Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks) - Page 2 EmptyThu 16 Jun 2016 - 11:58

Yeah it will flop hard Balla, SFZ did and this seems to be getting a even more negative reaction and it comes out October which is basically suicide.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)   Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks) - Page 2 EmptyThu 16 Jun 2016 - 12:09

SF0 I would have happily seen take mid-rank sales.  This, though, needs to bomb.  And I'm sad about that, because I'm a Ninty fanboy who wants them to succeed and to have more money to take on more exciting projects.  But they need to be taught a lesson about this franchise, and I don't think it'll happen any other way.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)   Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks) - Page 2 EmptyThu 16 Jun 2016 - 12:55

I'm thinking that what we really need is a Mario & Luigi game on the Wii U. That seems to be where Nintendo are keeping the more traditional RPG gameplay.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)   Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks) - Page 2 EmptyThu 16 Jun 2016 - 16:11

If they've sorted out the backtracking and the guesswork from Sticker Star, then I think that this has a good chance of being the best Wii U game in a year (which isn't saying much: I've not played a really good Wii U game since Super Mario Maker).
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)   Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks) - Page 2 EmptyThu 16 Jun 2016 - 22:15

Just remaster Super Paper Mario and leave it at that. Sorted.

I did catch a bit of the Colour Splash gameplay on stream... I wasn't too impressed to be honest. Certainly looked good, and the writing was still classic Paper Mario fun, but it didn't look like a lot of fun to actually play. Having said that, I've not played Sticker Star so I can't really comment too much on this new style of Paper Mario.

I definitely see why they're taking Paper Mario in this direction though - having two different Mario RPG series does seem a bit redundant.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)   Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks) - Page 2 EmptyThu 16 Jun 2016 - 22:50

There is room for two different series. One of which settles for traditional Mario enemies and a level select, and the other of which has a continuous world and strange new characters. I will happily play the latter and ignore the former.

The trouble is that Paper Jam was a mixture of both, and the Paper Mario games are very much the former. As things stand, the last time the latter appeared was in the stretched-out poorly paced mess that was Dream Team Bros.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)   Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks) - Page 2 EmptyFri 17 Jun 2016 - 0:11

Nintendo obviously feel differently since Paper Mario has been moving away from that since after The Thousand-year door.

---

On another note I'd swap the systems each of these games are usually on, I;d have Paper Mario for the handhelds and the M&L games for console.
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)   Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks) - Page 2 EmptyFri 17 Jun 2016 - 1:49

There's a story going around saying that Nintendo might redo Thousand year door if people get "vocal enough"
I'd be all for that but to be honest I'd want it on the 3DS not the Wii U / NX
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)   Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Paper Mario Colour Splash (Jackson B*ll*cks)
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next