We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop

Go down 
+7
Jimbob
Buskalilly
Balladeer
JayMoyles
The_Jaster
masofdas
ZeroJones
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop   Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 EmptyThu 5 Oct 2017 - 17:16

Eurogamer has put this up about not things like the Wii Shop dying but us dying and like I thought it brings up licenses.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop   Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 EmptyMon 9 Oct 2017 - 2:36

The more I remember that music the more I miss just browsing through the shop channel and then there's all the games I got to revisit because of it, one of my main memories of the Wii was booting that up for the first time to download Mario 64. Then there's all the classics that were new to me like Dynamite Headdy, Sin and Punishment and Super Mario RPG. Then there's WiiWare of course which had some wonderfully niche stuff, anyone remember Tomena Sanner or Let's Catch, those were the kind of thing I never expected to be playing on the Wii, bonkers.

Gonna boot it up again and see what I can pick up before it goes, never played Bonsai Barber for example, think I'll give that a whirl.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop   Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 EmptyFri 2 Mar 2018 - 15:06

Today's the month!

Is there anything I should be looking to get on WiiWare before it's too late?

Bonsai Barber, You, Me & The Cubes, Tomena Sanner, MaBoShi: The Three Shape Arcade and Excitebike: World Challenge are my shouts. There's other quality stuff too, but those are five that I don't see coming anywhere else.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop   Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 EmptyFri 2 Mar 2018 - 15:38

Didn't it have some good Konami (shudders) games as part of a rebirth series or something?
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop   Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 EmptyFri 2 Mar 2018 - 18:18

Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth is a top game. I didn't play any of the other ReBirths... or, shamefully, any of the games on Cappa's list. Embarrassed

Shoutouts to the quirky And Yet It Moves and the exquisite Hydroventure. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop   Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 EmptyWed 21 Mar 2018 - 13:07

I've never downloaded anything on the Wii and seeing this ending on the 26th is there anything I have to 100% download be it WiiWare or VC release not easily got otherwise?
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop   Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 EmptyWed 21 Mar 2018 - 13:37

"Didn't it have some good Konami (shudders) games as part of a rebirth series or something?"

Really though, those games I listed a few posts up, get those.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop   Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 EmptyWed 21 Mar 2018 - 13:47

I'll have a look at those along with the Konami ones, just didn't know if there was a 10/10 BotW type deal to rush out and get.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop   Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 EmptyWed 21 Mar 2018 - 13:52

Hydroventure is the only near unmissable game I can think of.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop   Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 EmptyWed 21 Mar 2018 - 14:33

World of Goo was probably that 10/10 exclusive ten years ago, but not anymore. Hydroventure is probably unmissable, but I didn't play it enough to really say. Otherwise...what takes your fancy?

Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop   Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 EmptyWed 21 Mar 2018 - 18:06

Agreeing with Hydroventure. I genuinely can’t think of anything better on the service.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop   Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 EmptyWed 21 Mar 2018 - 18:39

Can't see much from the VC front was thinking Rondo of Blood but got that on PSP, Orge Battle 64 from what I can see is on the Wii U VC. I'm guessing other Turbo Grafx games like Rondo might be worth a look but didn't a bunch come to Wii U recently.

Didn't hydroventure get a 3DS version or something? Anyway I've downloaded Castlevania, I had a look at some others you guys mentioned but seem pricey in 2018, surprised Nintendo didn't have a sale before the store shuts.

Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop   Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 EmptyWed 21 Mar 2018 - 18:47

Hydroventure had a sequel on 3DS, which was subtitled ‘Spin Cycle’. It wasn’t quite as good... although it was good. The original was a beautiful Metroidvania, but Spin Cycle had a level-based structure and subsequently didn’t feel quite as expansive and exciting. Castlevania The Adventure ReBirth is good fun.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop   Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 EmptySun 25 Mar 2018 - 10:36

I have tried to give this some thought, but... my opinion is that most of the good Wii games have since been ported to yer currently-available generation...
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop   Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 EmptySun 5 Aug 2018 - 23:00

It's all about the curios, but most of them were published on disc anyway. So that leaves the digital-only curios (well worth checking out since a lot of Wii software was a product of its time) and the virtual console stuff that isn't available anywhere else outside of the original, and likely expensive, cartridges/CDs.

Curios worth checking out:

You, Me and the Cubes
MaBoShi
Let's Catch
Art Style games (Cubello and Penta Tentacles especially, as they weren't remakes of the GBA ones)
ExciteBike World Rally
Bubble Bobble Plus (the last and best modern BB)
Konami's "Rebirth" games - CastleVania, Gradius, and Contra Rebirth
Tomena Sanner
Muscle March
Bonsai Barber
Hydroventure
Bomberman Blast (still great for local play and plays differently to R on Switch)

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop   Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 EmptyMon 6 Aug 2018 - 5:08

Doesn't really matter now, seeing you can't buy anything unless you've got funds leftover.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop   Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 EmptyFri 17 Aug 2018 - 23:51

Thanks for pointing out the wasted time spent on that last post! Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop   Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 EmptySat 18 Aug 2018 - 18:52

Someone may still have funds
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop   Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 EmptySat 18 Aug 2018 - 21:49

fronkhead wrote:

Konami's "Rebirth" games - CastleVania

This is one that I'm gutted I'll never get to play as it looks like great fun. I miss Castlevania. Aww!

Fingers crossed that the boys Belmont turning up in Smash are a good sign of things to come.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop   Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 EmptySun 19 Aug 2018 - 12:30

Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 4eb

I did break my rule of not giving Konami any money by buying Castlevania Rebirth as it's something I would like to play and preserving it.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop   Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 EmptySun 19 Aug 2018 - 13:08

JayMoyles wrote:
fronkhead wrote:

Konami's "Rebirth" games - CastleVania

This is one that I'm gutted I'll never get to play as it looks like great fun. I miss Castlevania. Aww!

Fingers crossed that the boys Belmont turning up in Smash are a good sign of things to come.

I picked up CastleVania Rebirth earlier this year and it is indeed good fun, if not brutally difficult. Still, I don't think you're missing that much, Rondo of Blood is still on another level really. Gradius Rebirth was also a bit disappointing compared with II and III. One thing the Rebirth games do nail is the audiovisual presentation, something you can still appreciate somewhat by searching up videos of the games.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop   Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 EmptySun 19 Aug 2018 - 22:15

I've still got 4,600 points left on my Wii Shopping Channel! I'd have found fronkhead's list to be helpful had I not already downloaded all of those games. I'm a bit unsure what to go for now though - any other suggestions folks?
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop   Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 EmptyWed 30 Jan 2019 - 20:41

*sad, slow violin music, played solemnly*

"DO-DO-DO-DO-DO, DO-DO-DO-DO-DO, DODODODO-DO!!!!!!"

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/01/so_long_wii_shop_channel_and_thanks_for_all_the_games

Today's the day that the Wii Shopping Channel closes, and you can't buy anything new.

I'm sad to see it go. I've got many excellent memories of the Wii Shopping Channel, some of the stories I've already told in this thread. As my first introduction to the mad world of downloadable gaming, I'll not forget it. Thumbs Up!

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop   Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 EmptyWed 30 Jan 2019 - 20:49

I've recently seen Caligula Effect a VITA game is getting a remaster for PS4 and Switch which is cool but if you want to play on a VITA in English the only way to do that is with a £25 download.

After seeing things like today with the Wii Shop Channel makes me go if I do ever want to play something like Caligula Effect, I may have to download sooner or later because at some point we won't be able to get some of these digital games.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop   Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 EmptyWed 30 Jan 2019 - 23:45

It's a shame to see so many titles effectively gone forever. I really hope that more companies take after Microsoft and focus on having a transferable library - not only will it be convenient, but it'll be great for preserving software for people to play decades down the line.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop   Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Wii Shop Channel To Shut Up, Er, Shop
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next