We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)

Go down 
+11
gjones
Buskalilly
Rum
Dusty Knackers
JayMoyles
The_Jaster
EofGizmo
Muss
masofdas
The Cappuccino Kid
Balladeer
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!) - Page 4 EmptySun 24 Jan 2021 - 20:36

JayMoyles wrote:

Ah wow, nice one! I honestly don't remember chatting to anyone about FFVII:R on here other than Mas, I believe, but glad to hear you dug it as much as I did.

I might have been a few weeks behind in terms of playing it I think so don't think I said much until after I finished it.

Buskalilly wrote:

I thought Smurf's gag was about Playstation scalpers.

That it was but apparently Mas is willing to pay them whatever they ask for.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!) - Page 4 EmptyMon 25 Jan 2021 - 19:04

@gjones: TIDIER.  Had to be tidier than Post. Duh! Let's move on quickly, shall we!?

THE SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY AWARD FOR NINTENDO GAME OF THE YEAR
(13 sets of votes)

So: has it been a quiet year?  Or have I just seen things through a narrow, blinkered lens before going on and on about it?  Let's find out:

Sixth Place (because sod it, I laid this all out before remembering we had a separate 5th and 4th):

Fifth Place:

Fourth Place:

Third Place:

Second Place:

And The Winner Is...:

Missed the cut:

Just one more award to come...

Last edited by Balladeer on Tue 26 Jan 2021 - 10:25; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Nice to be the one to pick up my own error for once...)
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!) - Page 4 EmptyMon 25 Jan 2021 - 20:25

So pretty simlair to Nontendo as it's mainly AAA Nintendo games with a indie doing very well and what I thought would happen with Hades it just wouldn't get enough votes
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!) - Page 4 EmptyMon 25 Jan 2021 - 21:33

HADES. WAS. ROBBED. DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU!

And again more of you need to play Streets of Rage 4.

Balla wrote:
I know Jas was somewhat surprised at how triple-A the Nontendo vote was, with one exception: well, here we are again!

There is a similar pattern but we did sneak two indies with Hades and Among us in there, also when I was talking about the triple A stuff it was more that it lined up with those typical GoTY votes that are just predictable. I know this will vary person to person but the stuff that's under "missed the cut" is clearly well liked or loved even but no one puts it above stuff like a TLOU 2 or a Mario 3d all stars? Maybe my tastes have just changed a lot over the last couple years or there just wasn't enough to play but I do feel our end of year GoTY's are way more varied that what you see elsewhere.

Not a major gripe but still a bit odd in my book.

Jas wrote:
"A truly special get that sets a new benchmark for Rogue-lites."

Aye, that's meant to be "a truly special game" Laughing mark that down as another 'there's yet dinner' moment I guess. Winky Face
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!) - Page 4 EmptyTue 26 Jan 2021 - 15:26

My picks would have included Hades, ACNH, Age of Calamity (whoever said its better than the original is wrong though...) and a Short Hike.

It does seem like ACNH won by virtue of everyone playing it, reading all the comments on Hades there you'd have thought it should be top!
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!) - Page 4 EmptyTue 26 Jan 2021 - 18:04

Hades was the real winner and we all know it. Winky Face

Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!) - Page 4 EmptyTue 26 Jan 2021 - 19:25

Quick note: there were actually 24 games in the Switch section, after somebody slipped a lesser-known game into their votes at the last minute.  So there we are: Nintendo variety > Nontendo variety.

Before we get to the final award, it's time for some

Honourable Mentions
(7 contributors)

Forum-related:

Nintendo:

Nontendo and General Gaming:

And finally:

Well ain't those lovely.  It's good to see some forum happenings being registered outside the 'official votes', as well as forumites (thank you anonymous person!); and a fair few games that didn't make the cut either.  Right, that's yer optimism out the way:

Dishonourable Mentions
(7 contributors - but not the same seven!)

Nintendo:

Nontendo and General Gaming:

And finally:

...yep, Nintendo's done some iffy things this year, although they are as of nothing compared to what some other companies have been up to.  It's actually quite nice to see hardly any real-world dishonourables (the COVID one was mine and I tried to focus on its gaming effects): I guess we're all sick of those at this point.

Tune in tomorrow for the grand finalé...
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!) - Page 4 EmptyTue 26 Jan 2021 - 20:03

Who was so harsh to Superliminal?! That was a lovely lil game.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!) - Page 4 EmptyTue 26 Jan 2021 - 20:13

It was Balla but one game I'd agree with him about
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!) - Page 4 EmptyWed 27 Jan 2021 - 18:28

Hades is so good that my girlfriend, for whom something like Dragon Quest Builders or a Mario game is about as action packed as she'd like, bought her own copy after having about 4 runs (and watching me play it a bit).

She found the God mode liberating and really enjoyed its - just one more go! - appeal, alongside the character development and the sheer amount of care that's etched across every aspect of this game.

For my money, Hades is absolutely the Rogue-like equivalent of Mario Kart 8, Breath of the Wild, or Hogs of War. And to be honest, its random elements are never punishing. It's almost unfair calling it a rogue-like because it's so much better than all the others I've played - and I actually like the genre!

Would 100% recommend.

Even so, nobody can deny that Animal Crossing was a strong game. I don't think it's perfect, but there is a lot to love about it.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!) - Page 4 EmptyWed 27 Jan 2021 - 19:26

The end is night, gents!  Thanks for voting and taking part!  I leave you with...

THE SUPER MARIO AWARD FOR CONTRIBUTOR OF THE YEAR
(11 votes)

The biggest non-gaming award in terms of votes cast.  Some would say that's only right, that y'all contribute to this award like these people contributed to GNamer:

Third Place:

Second Place:

And The Winner Is...:

Missed the cut:

And that's that!  Thanks everyone for your contributions, hope it was fun to read!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!) - Page 4 EmptyWed 27 Jan 2021 - 19:46

Thanks guys and just imagine the posts in the #yearoftheswitch to come from me, then it's all JRPG's and I finish none.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!) - Page 4 EmptyThu 28 Jan 2021 - 0:57

Well done Cappa, good year for the big man.

I've finally figured out why Balla likes votes so much - its so he can post his awful opinions "anonymously" and pretend other people share them!

Quote :
Buskalilly’s words and numbers post: "“Words are almost as bad as numbers. If I could, I’d ditch them too and just communicate through vibes and dance. “ For some reason this stuck in my head, not just for the sheer lunacy of the suggestion, but having visions of Maths teachers trying to teach a lesson."

I stand by this.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!) - Page 4 EmptyThu 28 Jan 2021 - 10:35

Muss wrote:
For my money, Hades is absolutely the Rogue-like equivalent of Mario Kart 8, Breath of the Wild, or Hogs of War. And to be honest, its random elements are never punishing. It's almost unfair calling it a rogue-like because it's so much better than all the others I've played - and I actually like the genre!

One of the things that sets Hades apart as a roguelite I think is how severely it pivots on the likelihood of you completing a run. Most roguelites have little mechanical progression and instead rely solely on player skill progression, which in combination with a high variance in luck based elements means you start off with a successful run chance of ~0% and will pretty gradually push that up to maybe, if you're very good, 50%+. With Hades you start off at 0%, on your first clear jump immediately to maybe 50%, and then a few runs later hit 95%+, because of the much reduced impact of luck (or more accurately the influence you have over those elements) and the wealth of permanent progression.
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!) - Page 4 EmptyThu 28 Jan 2021 - 17:13

Thanks folks, surprised by this. Throughout 2021, I promise more buckets of old turds, more baw-bootings and more expletives  Smile
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!) - Page 4 EmptyThu 28 Jan 2021 - 18:48

Shout out to Balla for totting up the scores and writing up those posts, it was fun to follow along. Thumbs Up!

And thanks for the kind comments in that last award.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!) - Page 4 EmptyThu 28 Jan 2021 - 19:14

Congrats to all the winners - and echoing the thanks to Balla for organising!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!) - Page 4 EmptyThu 28 Jan 2021 - 19:44

Thanks gents! Smile There's a fair amount of slog that goes into typing the posts up, so I really do appreciate the kind words.  Vote threads are a lot more fun when I'm not running them!  Speaking of...

Buskalilly wrote:
I've finally figured out why Balla likes votes so much - its so he can post his awful opinions "anonymously" and pretend other people share them!

This is a lie and you know it.

Spoiler:

If this is about Crown Tundra (and I can't guess which other comment you'd care about), I stand by this.  It's the least fun I've had in a Pokémon game since... probably Stadium 1 and trying to cobble together a team for the sodding Petit Cup; and it is, I believe, the only mainline Pokémon thing that's not a Battle Facility of some sort that I've started but not finished.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!) - Page 4 EmptyThu 28 Jan 2021 - 23:05

Whereas I actually really enjoyed it and completed it 100%. Strokes for folks, courses for horses, vaginas for coal miners.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!) - Page 4 EmptySun 31 Jan 2021 - 13:31

Big congrats to all the winners and cheers to Balla for putting this all together - enjoyed seeing the results come in each day. Grin
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!) - Page 4 EmptySun 31 Jan 2021 - 16:01

Did someone put Nothing as their first choice Nintendo game? Boooooooooooooooooooooooooo

But seriously thanks everyone, that was a lot of fun, and you're all a lot of fun. But remember a wise man said that the rules are there to facilitate the fun. I'm only 1 glass of wine in as I write this
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!) - Page 4 EmptySun 31 Jan 2021 - 16:56

They certainly are! Also in defence of that chap, he'd only played one Switch game that released this year, and didn't finish it or even like it that much. And it was Xenoblade Remastered (as you can see in the comments), so you'd probably agree with him.

Cheers Jay!
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!) - Page 4 EmptyMon 15 Feb 2021 - 19:13

Quote :
"It’s been a delight to read his posts."

Whoever wrote this about me, you're my new best friend, even though I'm not 100% sure who you are.

And a very belated "thanks Balla" to Balla. Thanks Balla!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!) - Page 4 EmptyMon 15 Feb 2021 - 19:39

Cheers Rum! Grin

This thread has been unstickied to drift gently away. It had a good run.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!) - Page 4 EmptyWed 17 Feb 2021 - 12:20

One last note: I appreciate all those comments that people typed about me for the contributor of the year, but that full "the resident Del Boy of GNamer..." one is maybe my favourite thing I've ever read on here. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!) - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

The GNamer Forum Awards 2020 (THANKS FOR PLAYING!)
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next