We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)

Go down 
+11
The_Jaster
JayMoyles
Treesmurf
Axis1500
shanks
fronkhead
Admin
ZeroJones
masofdas
oldschool
Balladeer
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) Empty
PostSubject: Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)   Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) EmptySat 14 Feb 2015 - 22:54

Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) 2781191-b7uoqe0cyaaawmv

This is more a news topic, but it's 3DS news specifically, so. Nintendo's first venture into microtransactions certainly seems to be more generous than EA's Dungeon Keeper Mobile: you have initially have five hearts that regenerate at a rate of one every thirty minutes, and 100¥ (about $1) buys five hearts, with varying levels of bulk discounts.

It's still worrying, don't get me wrong. A success could mean more punitive pricing in future, or just more of this sort of game, which isn't great in my book.

Anyone more optimistic about this than me?
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)   Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) EmptySat 14 Feb 2015 - 23:44

Not me. I can't see myself playing this at all. I am always sceptical about 'free-to-play' games and always will be.
Back to top Go down
http://aspergamer.webs.com/apps/forums/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)   Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) EmptySat 14 Feb 2015 - 23:57

There are few f2p games that work as most are either like Dungeon Keeper which is like pay to move a space or they feel more likely pay to win.

But Nintendo have shown with Steel Diver that it can be done and even from there DLC with Kart that Nintendo can take a good idea and make it work well.

So I will try it but doubt I will play much of it because of Puzzle & Dragons coming.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)   Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) EmptySun 15 Feb 2015 - 8:22

That screen looks exactly like Pokémon Link: Battle! to me. Whilst I'll probably play it to find out the differences, it's a dangerous route to go down. A lot of Nintendo's innovations recently have been to get as much money out of the fans as possible and it makes me feel uncomfortable.

Last edited by ZeroJones on Sun 15 Feb 2015 - 15:00; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)   Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) EmptySun 15 Feb 2015 - 9:16

Is a bit similar, isn't it? As for your discomfort, I haven't felt squeezed by Nintendo's recent offerings: the HW and MK8 DLCs have both been really worthwhile. This is the only thing that makes me feel uncomfortable.

But by golly, does it make me feel uncomfortable. Pale
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)   Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) EmptySun 15 Feb 2015 - 14:50

I literally have a pile of great Nintendo games at my disposal. Why would I want to play this free-to-play dross? Amiibos were the first Nintendo thing to make me feel uncomfortable if I'm honest; this is the second. Meh
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)   Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) EmptyTue 17 Feb 2015 - 23:50

Originally I thought this game was okay in principle, since it appeared to only rely on wait timers -- so you use up a premium currency to keep playing, or wait to keep playing. That's actually fine, since the game is pretty upfront over what you're getting into, and what you may be paying for, and for an addictive puzzle game (Zookeeper Battle also has them) you'll probably thank the game for asking you to put it down for a bit.

But it seems the folk at Genius Sonority have also integrated pay-to-win items into this, which is certainly not okay, and I do wonder whether its source content - Pokemon Link Battle as Zero Jones pointed out - has been retooled to nudge you into using the items. Or it could just be like Bravely Default where they are optional, but in a game that costs nothing upfront would they balance it in such a way that you have no incentive at all to pay for the optional items?

There's another game which uses modern business models, I'll make a thread about it now...
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)   Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) EmptyWed 18 Feb 2015 - 0:14

It's meant to be out today for download in the Jap e shop so once it's up I'll get it and see what it's all about
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)   Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) EmptyWed 18 Feb 2015 - 0:17

shanks wrote:
It's meant to be out today for download in the Jap e shop so once it's up I'll get it and see what it's all about

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll give it a go too on my JP 3DS.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)   Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) EmptyWed 18 Feb 2015 - 12:14

It's out in the UK now too, if anyone's interested. Mas?
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)   Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) EmptyWed 18 Feb 2015 - 12:25

Aus won't get it until Friday I'm willing to bet
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)   Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) EmptyWed 18 Feb 2015 - 12:39

Stu_the_great wrote:
I literally have a pile of great Nintendo games at my disposal. Why would I want to play this free-to-play dross? Amiibos were the first Nintendo thing to make me feel uncomfortable if I'm honest; this is the second. Meh

You can add 3DS themes and faceplates (full disclosure: I have one of both of those Embarrassed ) to that list, for me.

As Balla mentioned, the game is out now in Europe, too! I've just got through the demo and, superficially, it is very similar to Pokémon Shuffle, although there are a few differences, like only fighting one 'mon at a time, or a move having to make a match (or it'll be undone). Anyone with patience will be able to play through it without spending any money, I reckon.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)   Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) EmptyWed 18 Feb 2015 - 12:49

Yeah, seems we (I?) were (was?) wrong about it being a retooled Link Battle, it's pretty different underneath, with all that fun Panel de Pon realtime tile arranging to catch falling blocks gone.

As Zero Jones said, you could easily get through this without paying a thing, and the game is fairly generous with free jewels. My issues with it extend to how the monetisation has clearly made it a more boring game to play mechanically, there are several things put in there which are made to nudge you towards spending help items, like the Great Ball, or replenishing your moves mid-game.

These exploit "loss aversion", something within the field of behavioural economics, where humans value potential losses more than gains. So if, like me, you've *just* failed to beat Mew in an epic 20-moves game, you'll be more inclined to spend the coins and get 5 extra turns, than wait 30 minutes *and* have to sit through the whole thing again. The game's pretty smart about putting you in situations like this, too...

I don't like that!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)   Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) EmptyWed 18 Feb 2015 - 12:56

Cheers for that assessment, Fronk. Sounds like I'll be taking a wide berth.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)   Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) EmptyWed 18 Feb 2015 - 12:59

Yeah, fronky's given a great assessment there (and bonus points for using far fewer commas than me! Embarrassed ). It also sounds like he had the exact same experience as me, trying to catch Mew. Ruddy game. DAMN YOU!
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)   Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) EmptyWed 18 Feb 2015 - 19:31

Yup, you certainly won't be missing anything with this.

Its also a lot less interesting of a puzzle game than Link Battle, which had a finite number of puzzle blocks to clear periodically, letting you have fun sliding around blocks mid-combo,. You can't do anything once you've made a move here due to the strict move limit, so you just have to sit back and watch a combo unfold through no smart planning of your own. That the playing field only takes up one screen instead of two makes success feel even more arbitrary, it's only really possible to plan out the first stages of a combo, the rest being down to luck. That 10+ combos happen quite regularly through sheer luck doesn't give me motivation to play the game smartly either...
Back to top Go down
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

PostSubject: Re: Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)   Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) EmptyFri 20 Feb 2015 - 13:09

Downloaded this because of the 50 Club Nintendo points.... but.... I think I'll stick to Pokemon Link Battle. I hate games riddled with IAPs.
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)   Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) EmptyFri 20 Feb 2015 - 13:58

Still haven't caught Mew..
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)   Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) EmptyFri 20 Feb 2015 - 17:46

I'm trying to build up the coins to make catching Mew a certainty. A while, it will take. [/Yoda]
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)   Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) EmptyFri 20 Feb 2015 - 23:12

I am actually enjoying it. I mean it is free, so it gives a bit of daily fun. I can ignore all the prompts it gives me to buy stuff and just play what it offers.
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)   Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) EmptySat 21 Feb 2015 - 5:45

ZeroJones wrote:
I'm trying to build up the coins to make catching Mew a certainty. A while, it will take. [/Yoda]

Yeah I'm doing the same while failing to catch other Pokemon.. It took me 3 tries to get Kangasthan
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)   Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) EmptySat 21 Feb 2015 - 8:01

I have Mew! Dance Also, it looks like there are 159 stages to play, so hopefully I can be finished with it by the end of March. Neutral
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)   Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) EmptySat 21 Feb 2015 - 10:14

I still haven't caught it, only thing I've managed to do is get another Mega stone
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)   Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) EmptySun 22 Feb 2015 - 9:26

Yesterday I successfully grabbed the Sablenite... but I've yet to grab Sableye. Duh! It feels odd to start a 3DS playing session with Shuffle but the more playtime it gets, the less it'll get in the way in the future.
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)   Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) EmptySun 22 Feb 2015 - 9:53

I have managed to the the Mega Kangaskhan, and missed a few along the way. I have wasted some coins as I get used to it, but I do enjoy the 10 minutes a day playing it, leaving me looking forward to the next.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)   Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!) Empty

Back to top Go down

Pokémon Shuffle (Nintendo Used Pay Day!)
Page 1 of 17Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next