We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift

Go down 
+16
Treesmurf
The Cappuccino Kid
Katie Hopkins
shanks
gjones
Crumpy Andy
Athrun888
Jimbob
masofdas
Muss
NintenDUCK
The_Jaster
JayMoyles
ZeroJones
Balladeer
Buskalilly
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 31 ... 37  Next
AuthorMessage
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 26 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 26 EmptySun 19 Jan 2020 - 19:52

Drunkalilly wrote:
masofdas wrote:
What's this great comic book shop called though if you Google comes up with loads.

Excelsior, I think.

This is correct. It's also a board game store Thumbs Up! The sort of store worth supporting too.

I would liked to have spent more time in Bristol but there's always something going on. The public transport is shocking though, but that's the South West in general. As Balla says, being able to walk to work is great. Cuts out all those commuter horror stories. Worth the extra price in what you save in time and energy imo.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 26 EmptyMon 20 Jan 2020 - 9:40

Will be looking at board games, table top etc as I know EofGiz is keen along with some of his mates

As someone who doesn't really use public transport that isn't to much of a concern for me if a tad ropey.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 26 EmptyMon 20 Jan 2020 - 9:49

Its all relative. I left Somerset and thought "oh, public transport was shit there but its okay in bigger cities" but then I left the UK and realised its all a bit shit there.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 26 EmptyMon 20 Jan 2020 - 9:55

Likely is shite here compared to Japan but I'm not going to be using it
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 26 EmptyMon 20 Jan 2020 - 11:55

Bristol's is pretty bad. It's sometimes faster to walk than it is to get the bus, but that's because the city isn't built for the 21st century. Bath has the same issue, although Bath is substantially more hilly. The train between Bath and Bristol is pretty decent though - much faster than driving.

Nottingham has good public transport though. There's a regular tram and several different lines, loads of buses which arrive every 10 mins and run until 2am. Even then, there are night buses. It's not going to beat Japan, or even a lot of European cities, but you're only ever two short bus trips away from any given sector of Nottingham and the wider area. That's a lot better than the westcountry.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 26 EmptyMon 20 Jan 2020 - 19:57

Going to Germany is much the same as going to Japan - you realise how bobbins it is over here, and I (as a Londoner) probably have the best of it.

I'd be keen to get Andy's thoughts on it actually, as a new Londoner. Is it as terrible as I've been conditioned to believe?
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 26 EmptyMon 20 Jan 2020 - 21:20

I think London has it pretty good to be honest, I find most other cities even outside the UK can be a little limited in their options for public transport and I’ve tended to Uber around them rather than even attempt it. For sure outside of London it’s pretty dire, every 30 mins at best and then with regular delays doesn’t cut it.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 26 EmptyMon 20 Jan 2020 - 21:31

Yep, pretty much what I thought. For Londoners it's dirty, crowded, frequently down, and generally the bane of our existence. Compared to the rest of the country it's a rainbow train to Heaven. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 26 EmptyTue 21 Jan 2020 - 13:07

I wouldn't go that far Laughing

For me, it's less the regularity of the tube - although that is a big bonus - but more the route predictability which often sets London apart. It's very easy to plan a trip around London, whereas attempting to use public transport in a lot of other places is difficult because bus websites tend to suck or you have to use multiple different providers etc.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 26 EmptyTue 21 Jan 2020 - 15:40

The tube is good and super easy. Unfortunately though everywhere it goes is still London
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 26 EmptyTue 21 Jan 2020 - 18:04

See, I see it the other way around. London is great and has lots of things to do and is multicultural and diverse and only has a couple of bits where you're likely to get stabbed or sold cereal in alcohol. Unfortunately you have to use the tube to cross it (or - shudder - buses No ).

I am of course wrong because I have a very Londoncentric point of view.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 26 EmptyTue 21 Jan 2020 - 20:22

See busses are barely something I ever consider, I get mad anxiety trying to catch one in most places as stops are so poorly designated. Once again something negated in London for the fringe place that you can’t tube to.

Also I get that the tube can be packed, but I only find that real bad before 9.30 and around 5-7, negligible trade off for the ability to get about whenever, wherever.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 26 EmptyTue 21 Jan 2020 - 20:50

The tube for me seems like some kind of magical machine of convenience, and essentially makes everywhere in the capital "within walking distance". I supposedly come from a "modern city" but I frequently see no busses, and then one bus directly behind another one; and yet we have robots that deliver stuff.*

*to the bits that aren't going to result them getting kicked in
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 26 EmptyTue 21 Jan 2020 - 23:59

Balladeer wrote:
See, I see it the other way around. London is great and has lots of things to do and is multicultural and diverse and only has a couple of bits where you're likely to get stabbed or sold cereal in alcohol. Unfortunately you have to use the tube to cross it (or - shudder - buses No ).

I am of course wrong because I have a very Londoncentric point of view.

Perhaps the difference is, as only ever a London tourist, I've never used the tube for a commute! I've very rarely been unable to sit down
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 26 EmptyWed 22 Jan 2020 - 14:20

Jimbob wrote:
and yet we have robots that deliver stuff.*

*to the bits that aren't going to result them getting kicked in

Woah, enjoyed watching this. Love

Pretty sure they'd be kicked in where I live
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 26 EmptyWed 22 Jan 2020 - 20:39

Random thought: A bit weird how the word anime has now seemingly replaced the word animation in the west.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 26 EmptyWed 22 Jan 2020 - 20:45

I'm guessing that's relation to Witcher anime which Netflix has just announced, seen some anime fans kick off about it. I'm guessing if they say cartoon people automatically think kids stuff, not what Witcher will be.

Then though does have to be from Japan? As we've had JRPGs made in the west.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 26 EmptyWed 22 Jan 2020 - 23:01

Yep it was in response to that and I get there's a weird grey area because by the proper definition the words essentially mean the same thing but I'm confident that this upcoming Witcher film isn't being made exclusively in Japan so therefor it should be getting called an animated film rather than anime.

Anyhoo, not going to lose sleep over it as it's just something I found odd.

Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 26 EmptyThu 23 Jan 2020 - 1:09

Half the Japanese stuff which people call anime doesn't fit the original definition, which I think was explicitly animayed adaptations of manga.

Anyone who kicks off about this has never spent time in Japan. I've had "spongebob" and "Frozen" in response to the question "What's your favourite anime."
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 26 EmptyThu 23 Jan 2020 - 6:08

It seems to be made in Korea, is that anime? And I go back to JRPG'S not made in Japan. Not saying you're wrong or I'm right, just I guess in 2020 things done normally done one place is now done all over the world due to being influenced by things that have been.

Ohh and meatliquer closed down in Bristol.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 26 EmptyThu 23 Jan 2020 - 11:08

Anime is useful as a shorthand word for Japanese animation, but also as shorthand for a show encompassing certain stylistic elements.

Everyone knows Avatar is an anime Winky Face
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 26 EmptyThu 23 Jan 2020 - 15:22

Neytiri is my waifu
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 26 EmptySat 25 Jan 2020 - 17:49

My friend is kickstarting a graphic novel The kickstarter will go live on the 27th, I believe, so the page is pretty sparse right now. It's about a gay boxer trying to come to terms with his sexuality in the hypermasculine world of boxing.

If you have a kickstarter account then please hit the 'notify me of launch' button, even if you have no intention of backing it. It helps push the project higher up the hotness list on kickstarter.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 26 EmptyFri 31 Jan 2020 - 20:09

I'm not a big graphic novel person, but I hope it goes well for your friend!
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 26 EmptyMon 3 Feb 2020 - 10:49

Drunkalilly wrote:
Neytiri is my waifu

Wrong avatar!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 26 Empty

Back to top Go down

Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift
Page 26 of 37Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 31 ... 37  Next