We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Late to the Party

Go down 
+13
The Cappuccino Kid
fronkhead
masofdas
Admin
Vidofnir
shanks
Xenos_Helia
beemoh
The_Jaster
ZeroJones
JayMoyles
Crumpy Andy
Balladeer
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

Late to the Party - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late to the Party   Late to the Party - Page 3 EmptyFri 29 Mar 2013 - 18:45

A Futurama reference from Dusty there, unless I'm very much mistaken. Grin
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Late to the Party   Late to the Party - Page 3 EmptyFri 29 Mar 2013 - 19:01

I'm taking it to be a reference to Futurama. Incidentally, new Futurama on Sky 1 tonight at 7:30pm! Wait, I cannot.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Late to the Party   Late to the Party - Page 3 EmptySun 31 Mar 2013 - 2:36

I was late to the party with Sega's Vocaloid/Hatsune Miku games, starting with Project Diva f (PS Vita). Lovingly made despite the use of a money-spinning license, and great rhythm games to boot. I was seriously impressed.

Now pondering over whether to get Project Mirai on 3DS...
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Late to the Party   Late to the Party - Page 3 EmptySun 31 Mar 2013 - 13:46

sporkhead wrote:
I was late to the party with Sega's Vocaloid/Hatsune Miku games, starting with Project Diva f (PS Vita). Lovingly made despite the use of a money-spinning license, and great rhythm games to boot. I was seriously impressed.

I remember watching someone play a PSP Vocaloid title, which looked insanely hard.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Late to the Party   Late to the Party - Page 3 EmptySun 31 Mar 2013 - 16:00

beemoh wrote:
sporkhead wrote:

I remember watching someone play a PSP Vocaloid title, which looked insanely hard.

Aye, it gets stupidly difficult on the hardest difficulty. I managed to S rank every level on Hard, but Extreme difficulty is a bit too tough for me.

Was easier when I found out you can use the D-Pad as face buttons, effectively allowing you to tap, say, X a lot faster than normal.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Late to the Party   Late to the Party - Page 3 EmptyThu 29 Jan 2015 - 7:08

Late to the party, as ever... the release of certain Game Boy and GBA games on the Virtual Console

DIGRESSION ALERT: Or whatever they have to call it now - Games From Classic Systems? Snappy!

has allowed me to experience games I'd missed, like Metroid II, Kid Icarus: Of Myths And Monsters, Golden Sun, Superstar Saga, three of the four Wario Lands...
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Late to the Party   Late to the Party - Page 3 EmptyThu 29 Jan 2015 - 7:38

Late to the party in the "late to the party" thread: good going! Grin
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Late to the Party   Late to the Party - Page 3 EmptyThu 29 Jan 2015 - 12:13

Late to the Party with the Shenmue praise, but don't need to add anything. It remains my favourite videogame ever - it blew me away at Xmas in 2000.

Completed Super Mario 64 in 2013.
Played Advance Wars in 2014.
Playing A Link to the Past in 2015.

I missed out on the Wii when it was relevant (was an Xbox 360 owner), so I'm enjoying stuff like Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy years after they were released. I can't believe it will be 10 years this month since I played Resident Evil 4 though - the only game I ever imported for the Gamecube. God bless Freeloader! Probably the only time I was early to the party Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Late to the Party   Late to the Party - Page 3 EmptyThu 29 Jan 2015 - 18:27

gjones wrote:
Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy

You've picked two absolute corkers there. Might I also suggest Zack and Wiki? Another game that absolutely nobody ever talks about ever these days.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Late to the Party   Late to the Party - Page 3 EmptyThu 29 Jan 2015 - 19:01

I've still not got 120 stars in Super Mario 64. Aiming for 2040s.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Late to the Party   Late to the Party - Page 3 EmptyFri 30 Jan 2015 - 9:53

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:

Me neither. In all honesty, I find a lot of the later stars to be a bit of a ball-ache to obtain, and the end reward just isn't worth the hassle.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Late to the Party   Late to the Party - Page 3 EmptyFri 30 Jan 2015 - 12:09

Stu_the_great wrote:

Me neither. In all honesty, I find a lot of the later stars to be a bit of a ball-ache to obtain, and the end reward just isn't worth the hassle.

Same, although I would quite like to get all 120 at some point. I said to myself that I'd buy Super Mario 64 when it appeared on the Wii U VC, so... still waiting, Nintendo. Still waiting.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Late to the Party   Late to the Party - Page 3 EmptyFri 30 Jan 2015 - 13:34

ZeroJones wrote:
Stu_the_great wrote:

Same, although I would quite like to get all 120 at some point. I said to myself that I'd buy Super Mario 64 when it appeared on the Wii U VC, so... still waiting, Nintendo. Still waiting.

Don't get too excited, Zero. Playing it on Wii VC with the hideous Classic Controller was a very spongy experience. I suppose I should give it another shot with the Classic Controller Pro. No N64 fog is a big bonus, though.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Late to the Party   Late to the Party - Page 3 EmptyWed 28 Dec 2016 - 21:29

After reading gJones books he got me for xmas and doing some research these are the games I can play that peak my interest without emulation or spending over £30 on or in the case of some £200+ and I'm wondering if anyone has played of these as I'm late to party on them.

Master of Darkness, which I can play the Game Gear version on the 3DS Virtual Console
Shining Force, which I can play the remake on GBA
Shining Soul I and II, which are part of the Shining series and can be played on GBA
Lunar Legend, for GBA this retelling of the Mega CD classic Silver Star
Lunar Genesis, part of the Lunar series this sort of prequel to Legend for the DS
Chase HQ, for GameBoy
Guardian Heroes, this expensive Saturn game is on XBLA for under £4
Advance Guardian Heroes, is for the GBA and is a sequel to the above
Chrono Trigger, I know Balla isn't much of a fan and I think Andy loves it that I feel I need a third opinion and I think I would have to play on DS unless the rumoured STEAM version which will later get ported to PS4 is true

Those would be easy to get my hands on and are PAL games, a few Saturn games peaked my interest but some like I say are £200+ and the Japanese equivalent can be picked up rather cheap including Guardian Heroes which seems like it could be playable in Japanese along with Dynamite Deka and Golden Axe: The Duel where others like Dragon Force seem maybe too text heavy then I googled and some are saying fine to play and all I need to avoid is visual novels & dating sims.

If anyone does have any insight to Japanese Saturn scene or any of these games would be great.

Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Late to the Party   Late to the Party - Page 3 EmptyWed 28 Dec 2016 - 21:35

Third (fourth?) opinion: you should totally and utterly play Chrono Trigger. You've become an RPG fan, so you should definitely play one of the classics. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Late to the Party   Late to the Party - Page 3 EmptyWed 28 Dec 2016 - 21:42

I'll see what others say but I do think most of will say the same as you. Any thoughts on the rest as 8 of the 9 others are on Nintendo platforms.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Late to the Party   Late to the Party - Page 3 EmptyWed 28 Dec 2016 - 21:44

I can only speak on Guardian Heroes and Chrono Trigger.

The former is actually available as a demo on Xbox Live Arcade (on 360 only? Not sure). So you can try before you buy, and it's actually really fun if a little fiddly at first. It looks like a 2D side-scrolling beat 'em up but has RPG elements and isn't actually 2D - it operates on three (if I remember correctly) planes. So you can be in the top, middle or bottom (nearest) part of the level. I wasn't convinced from what I played that it was worth the few quid it goes for, but I had a friend who played it on Saturn at the time and it was great fun at the time, particularly in multiplayer.

The latter (Chrono Trigger) I have on the Wii VC and did have on the DS (sold it on about a year ago). Now, this is a cracking game, and I've not really been a big JRPG fan. I mean, my favourite JRPG probably remains Grandia 2 on the Dreamcast and that's because it shows you the enemies (as Chrono Trigger does) instead of having random encounters. I sunk 10 hours in to Chrono Trigger on the DS and it's fantastic, especially the music. The story is fairly standard, but the time-travel twist that sees you jumping between the same areas through different time periods actually makes you connect with the environments more than you usually would. There's a sense of forced nostalgia with the fact that it's a SNES RPG, but there's also a more natural nostalgic feeling from the game created by visiting areas multiple times and learning the history of the NPCs. I loved my time with Chrono Trigger but it got to a point where unlock "gates" so you can jump through to any of the different centuries you have previously visited, and it lost some of the linearity that made the start so special. I get that in 1995 this was a potential special feature in a JRPG, but I lost the urge to pick it up again beyond there. I still have CT on the Wii VC and one day, I'd like to revisit it. Definitely recommend it though.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Late to the Party   Late to the Party - Page 3 EmptyWed 28 Dec 2016 - 21:56

I'm not sure if the demo will appear on Xbox One or not under the backwards compatible section. Seems I'm going to have track down CT on DS.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Late to the Party   Late to the Party - Page 3 EmptyWed 28 Dec 2016 - 21:58

masofdas wrote:
I'll see what others say but I do think most of will say the same as you. Any thoughts on the rest as 8 of the 9 others are on Nintendo platforms.

I've got nothing on the other games in your list, boss. Apologies.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Late to the Party   Late to the Party - Page 3 EmptyWed 28 Dec 2016 - 22:21

I've just thought of something else seeing gJones brought up SNES RPGS would my time be better spent on Final Fantasy VI.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Late to the Party   Late to the Party - Page 3 EmptyWed 28 Dec 2016 - 23:03

For me that's no contest but only because I haven't beaten FFVI yet. Chrono Trigger is more fun and more immediate, making FFVI more in depth and more sprawling. There's probably more variety to FFVI, unusually, because every character works slightly differently. There's a character whose attacks you have to select with SFII-style inputs, for goodness sake. Shocked

I tell you what - play both alongside each other, and let us know what you think. Winky Face
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Late to the Party   Late to the Party - Page 3 EmptyThu 29 Dec 2016 - 11:04

FFVI I could play now as I own it on VITA but I've got loads to play and even now it seems I need to play CT, I don't know when I'll get to it that maybe waiting to see if it does come to PS4 could be worth it.

Just because I've read these books now and everything is fresh in mind about them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Late to the Party   Late to the Party - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Late to the Party
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3