We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other

Go down 
+15
Balladeer
OrangeRakoon
Buskalilly
masofdas
Muss
Crumpy Andy
gjones
Kriken
EofGizmo
fronkhead
Rum
The Cappuccino Kid
Treesmurf
Jimbob
The_Jaster
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
AuthorMessage
neil
Wii U Port
neil

I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 36 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 36 EmptyThu 11 Mar 2021 - 17:01

I saw this pretty interesting article about drift that said it's inevitable in all controllers, and it's daft that they aren't designed to make the sticks easy to replace. It would be cool if console makers recognised that and made it easy to swap in new parts.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 36 EmptyThu 11 Mar 2021 - 19:40

Yes but then people could... I dunno, hack the controller? And, er, resell it or something? Eh?

Buskalilly wrote:
I actually got really lucky. My friend Matty and I had drift in opposite Joy Cons so when he bought a replacement pair, he let me have the one I needed.

Huh, curious. The anecdotal evidence I've seen/heard/read/whatever would suggest that it's basically all left Joy-Cons - certainly I've had two leftie drifters.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 36 EmptyThu 11 Mar 2021 - 23:09

Both my lefties drifted - but when it happened with the righties too that was also very annoying as it meant that cameras tended to go in mad directions. (I noticed this particularly in Xenoblade when I would be walking around and the camera decided to drift up and focus on a birds' eye view of Shulk's head.)
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 36 EmptyFri 12 Mar 2021 - 13:30

I think we have a pair of lefty drifters here too. Oddly they drift in different ways.

In a game like Hades or Animal Crossing, my drift basically stops registering an "Up" command, and the character very slowly limps forward, before suddenly moving normally again.

My girlfriend's drift is pretty much fine during normal play like that, but the moment you go to a menu it'll go absolutely crazy. Pokémon is almost unplayable with her remotes, but completely fine with mine.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 36 EmptyFri 12 Mar 2021 - 15:10

Happens to both left and right, although because I use the hori d-pad left joy-con I actually only suffer from drift on the right joy-con (hori sticks are just better it seems)
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 36 EmptyFri 12 Mar 2021 - 17:59

I saw a video a few years ago that said it seems like a small bit of metal is scraping away the contact underneath the stick which is why it happens to both joycon, I've been really lucky and not had it happen to mine so I reckon for most people it might not be that and is just general dirt and debris that's causing the drift.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 36 EmptySat 13 Mar 2021 - 8:24

I think all of my Switch's problems are because I carry it around in a tight case in handheld mode while living a rugged, adventurous lifestyle.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 36 EmptySat 13 Mar 2021 - 11:01

Buskalilly wrote:
I carry it around in a tight case in handheld mode

Something tight underpants something willy in your hand
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 36 EmptySat 13 Mar 2021 - 17:00

The_Jaster wrote:
I saw a video a few years ago that said it seems like a small bit of metal is scraping away the contact underneath the stick which is why it happens to both joycon, I've been really lucky and not had it happen to mine so I reckon for most people it might not be that and is just general dirt and debris that's causing the drift.

I've got one dodgy Joycon where it seems to fix right up for a decent length of time with contact cleaner, and one I've given up on. Maybe one's debris and one's scraping.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 36 EmptySat 13 Mar 2021 - 18:13

Yeah it sounds like it & I don't blame folk for just sending them in to be fixed by Nintendo as opening up modern controllers is such a pain in the arse.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 36 EmptyMon 15 Mar 2021 - 19:14

Plus with my practical 'skills' I'd probably lose half the opened-up Joy-Con down the back of the sofa.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 36 EmptySat 1 May 2021 - 17:49

Anyone at all aware of The House of Fata Morgana? I only ask because while it only has 6 reviews on Metacritic, it's sitting at 100% and I don't think I've ever seen that before. It's some kind of moody visual novel sort of thing and I don't think it's hit our shores yet.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 36 EmptySat 1 May 2021 - 19:02

I'm aware of it, as it is on VITA and was a big release at the time.

Believe it's been positively received on all formats it is on.

Just I've not played it as if I was getting it likely be VITA which is pricy and honestly not sure about the moody artstyle.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 36 EmptySun 2 May 2021 - 13:06

I saw that too! Although what my recent Metabrowsing mostly did was make me pick up There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension, which is sitting at 88 and which I was keen on anyway. Anyway, we're getting a good few good visual novels over the coming months: I'm hardly champing at the bit!
Back to top Go down
neil
Wii U Port
neil

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 36 EmptyWed 2 Jun 2021 - 12:57

I posted a while back about my experience getting drifting Joy-Con sticks repaired for free by Nintendo UK. Well, I appreciated that service, but I was done with Joy-Cons after both my pairs failed.

I started collecting Pro Controllers instead. Now thanks to eBay I have standard, Splatoon 2, and Xenoblade 2 Pros, all with boxes and booklets and everything. (There are so many fakes on eBay btw.) I also got the MH Rise version new.

Of course, what should happen? The Splatoon 2 controller's left stick started to drift. Maybe my youngest son was too rough with it, or maybe these sticks are all just crap (thinking probably the latter).

I bought this controller second hand, so I had no proof of purchase. And Nintendo probably stopped making them about 3 years ago, so it's well out of warranty. But, I love my four Pro Controllers, so on Friday I sent it off to Nintendo, all prepared to pay whatever the repair cost was.

I just got an email saying the controller would be back with me within 10 days, with no mention of any charge!

Say what you like about the Switch stick drift issue, it is abysmal, but I really can't fault Nintendo UK's handling of it.

(I am aware I sound like a total corporate suck in this post lol)
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 36 EmptyWed 2 Jun 2021 - 13:08

I had a whole string of DS and 3DS consoles which I either dropped and smashed or soaked in gravy. Although they sometimes required a small payment, Nintendo were pretty good about it all told.

I've not experienced, or heard much about, drift on Pro controllers.

The Joy-con thing is pretty bad though, and I reckon if there is a new model of Switch that's the thing they really have to deal with.
I have been finding that contact cleaner helps, temporarily at least.
Back to top Go down
neil
Wii U Port
neil

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 36 EmptyWed 2 Jun 2021 - 13:46

That's pretty good if they repaired proper damage on the cheap!

I was really surprised to get drift in the Pro too, but apparently it can happen to any controller including PS and Xbox. They all have a similar way of working and wearing out.

I heard that about contact cleaner but I figure if Nintendo is replacing the part, and it's free to send the thing in, and I can live without it for a week or two, that's the option for me.

YES about the Pro. They should make news of having more durable sticks, but they probably won't because it would draw attention to the problem with the original Switch and be equivalent to them admitting a fault. With class actions going on (I think), no way will they do it. But they might quietly have improved the sticks.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 36 EmptyWed 2 Jun 2021 - 14:01

Repaired my New 3DS XL screen for nothing out of warranty, rather decent service.

So was Xbox with my 360's with RRoD etc Only Sony been useless.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 36 EmptyWed 2 Jun 2021 - 20:37

That's encouraging. I think I'm seeing my third Joy-Con start to drift, so sooner or later I'm going to have to bite the bullet and send them off. I'm going to be slightly miffed if I'm charged £35 a pop for the privilege.
Back to top Go down
neil
Wii U Port
neil

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 36 EmptyWed 2 Jun 2021 - 21:01

Balladeer wrote:
That's encouraging.  I think I'm seeing my third Joy-Con start to drift, so sooner or later I'm going to have to bite the bullet and send them off.  I'm going to be slightly miffed if I'm charged £35 a pop for the privilege.

I'd be surprised if they charged you, it seems like they do it free. One thing I did forget to mention, I always like to send in a little nude selfie with my controllers for luck, but that can't be why they never charge me... can it?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 36 EmptyWed 2 Jun 2021 - 21:01

Unfortunately I think if I sent a nude selfie, I'd probably be charged in another way...
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 36 EmptyThu 3 Jun 2021 - 0:58

Balladeer wrote:
Huh, curious.  The anecdotal evidence I've seen/heard/read/whatever would suggest that it's basically all left Joy-Cons - certainly I've had two leftie drifters.

Missed this earlier, so just need to add:
Yeah, typical lefties, no convictions, always drifting, now this is cancelled, now that's cancelled, whatever next, marrying dogs, free cars for all women, everyone has two genders and they switch between them like a power ranger?
neil wrote:
I was really surprised to get drift in the Pro too, but apparently it can happen to any controller including PS and Xbox.
It's getting worse and worse generally because components are getting pricier so manufacturers cut more and more corners.
See also: literally every product made in our late capitalist hellscape.
Back to top Go down
neil
Wii U Port
neil

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 36 EmptyThu 3 Jun 2021 - 16:40

Sorry for going on about this but I got my controller back today… they sent me a brand new goddam controller with a new serial number sticker and film on the transmitter/charger bit. I’m well chuffed.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 36 EmptyFri 4 Jun 2021 - 20:51

Alright for some... Winky Face

Buskalilly wrote:
...everyone has two genders and they switch between them like a power ranger?

Assuming the Gender Ranger ability lets you pass fully, how do I sign up?
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 36 EmptySun 6 Jun 2021 - 10:00

That's a thing in the Culture novels by Ian M Banks and I'm well up for it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 36 Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other
Page 36 of 38Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38  Next