We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)

Go down 
+4
masofdas
The_Jaster
Buskalilly
Athrun888
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) Empty
PostSubject: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) EmptyWed 8 May 2019 - 7:55

Jay warging into Athrun here! This is the thread to chat all things Westeros - be it George R.R. Martin's acclaimed A Song of Ice and Fire series or the hit HBO show Game of Thrones. Be civil, wildlings. Oh, and make sure you're caught up on the show before reading this thread for the night is dark and full of spoilers. And now our posts begin...

This post would probably be better placed in the TV thread, but considering the series is basically a bunch of movies and made by a studio that literally calls themselves Home Box Office I'm going to post it here...

After what I've heard about the latest Game of Thrones episodes I'm really glad I didn't continue beyond the second season.  It sounds like they've basically pissed the entire point of the series down the drain.  

You already know what is in this:

Absolutely laughable writing.  And I didn't even touch on how they threw aside series-spanning plot threads for the sake of "subversion".   I'd heard the show was getting progressively worse the more they ran out of source material to adapt, and so I hesitated continuing beyond season 2 for that reason.  I was worried they would s*** the bed and produce a deeply unsatisfying conclusion.  

It's very saddening to see those fears realised.  I know all too well the feeling of seeing a franchise you care deeply about completely destroy itself, it's a shame to see Game of Thrones, which was once one of the best TV series ever created, meet this end.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) EmptyWed 8 May 2019 - 15:08

I haven't clicked your spoiler box, because I probably will watch the show eventually, but the show really ain't shit without Martin's writing to rely on. I hope we do get those last couple of books before he dies . . .
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) EmptyWed 8 May 2019 - 18:09

I wouldn't be putting so much faith in peoples opinions of the later seasons of GoT especially if those opinions are from folk online, there's been a weird hate culture around certain TV shows for years now where none of them actually have any constructive criticism and just spew "I didn't like that" and give no reasons as to why that is. Also with any adaptations it's always going to be tough to please everyone and that goes double for the fans of the source material, I'm not big into the fantasy genre so haven't read the books and I also started watching the tv show later than everyone else but in the end I was so glad I gave it a chance because from the first season to now it has kept me really engaged.

Do I think the earlier seasons were better? Yes but I have also still really enjoyed these last few seasons as well and I think it's shaping up to come to a satisfying ending.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) EmptyWed 8 May 2019 - 20:28

Jas is pretty much bang on here.

Even though it's got worse with S7 and now S8, it's still like the best thing on TV and a bad episode of GoT is like a bad Pizza, it's still Pizza.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) EmptyWed 8 May 2019 - 20:54

Oooh I don't know, I've have some bad pizzas.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) EmptyThu 9 May 2019 - 3:42

Wait until you come here. They put some weird shit on pizza in Japan.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) EmptyThu 9 May 2019 - 19:12

...do I want to know? I've seen the country's Kitkat flavours, I know what it can do to food. No
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) EmptyThu 9 May 2019 - 19:47

I know some of the kitkat flavours are weird but I can forgive them for that since they also have Banana KitKats.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) EmptySat 11 May 2019 - 8:44

Sick Bananas are only any good in bananas.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) EmptySat 11 May 2019 - 12:07

Bananas are better in smoothies Naughty
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) EmptySat 11 May 2019 - 13:27

Drunkalilly wrote:
I haven't clicked your spoiler box, because I probably will watch the show eventually, but the show really ain't shit without Martin's writing to rely on. I hope we do get those last couple of books before he dies . . .

Pretty much.  I get the distinct feeling that the writers of GoT have forgotten or were never truly aware that the series is a deconstruction of the fantasy genre.  Yes, a key part of a deconstruction is the reconstruction at the end, where all of those tropes that were taken apart over the course of the story are then put back together, but the things going on in the last couple of episodes sound like they completely forgot that aspect of the series.  

Basically it feels like they've mistaken the reconstruction part of the story for the story merely becoming "edgy fantasy".  Or perhaps they never truly understood the material to begin with.  

The_Jaster wrote:
I wouldn't be putting so much faith in peoples opinions of the later seasons of GoT especially if those opinions are from folk online, there's been a weird hate culture around certain TV shows for years now where none of them actually have any constructive criticism and just spew "I didn't like that" and give no reasons as to why that is. Also with any adaptations it's always going to be tough to please everyone and that goes double for the fans of the source material, I'm not big into the fantasy genre so haven't read the books and I also started watching the tv show later than everyone else but in the end I was so glad I gave it a chance because from the first season to now it has kept me really engaged.

Do I think the earlier seasons were better? Yes but I have also still really enjoyed these last few seasons as well and I think it's shaping up to come to a satisfying ending.

When your entire legacy is built upon being willing to kill off characters, no matter who they are, if it's the realistic outcome of a situation, and you spend an entire episode where multiple side-characters are engulfed by ice zombies where it's clear there is no hope of survival only to cut away at the last second and then show them fine later, then you are a badly written piece of media.  (This trick might be allowable once, at best twice.  But multiple times?  At that point the plot armour is so blatant it starts to erode suspension of disbelief)

When you have a cavalry charge completely unsupported in to a superior foe leaving your long range artillery on the front lines unprotected you are a badly written show that doesn't understand strategy so simple even untrained people are left going "huh?  That doesn't make sense".  

When you have a character
actual spoilers:

The reasons I've heard the episode criticised all sound well-reasoned.  In multiple instances the writing quality jumps off a cliff as logic is pushed aside in favour of stylistic choices (the cavalry charge that made absolutely zero strategic sense, but did make for a good shot of the lights being snuffed out by a wave of darkness), or to subvert the viewers expectations through events that are unexpected (with no attention paid to why they were unexpected.)  

The entire appeal of the series was its complexity and logical consistency, taking the genre and giving it an interpretation few had at the time done.  As Martin's material was passed it sounds to me like they've increasingly fallen victim to indulging in the very tropes and cliches Martin was dissecting.  I suppose it's ironic that the series ends this way.  Meh
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) EmptySat 11 May 2019 - 16:32

I saw this thread which seems to make a lot of sense https://twitter.com/dsilvermint/status/1125856091261136896?s=21

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) EmptySat 11 May 2019 - 20:04

Athrun wrote:
Yes, a key part of a deconstruction is the reconstruction at the end, where all of those tropes that were taken apart over the course of the story are then put back together, but the things going on in the last couple of episodes sound like they completely forgot that aspect of the series.

That's not the impression I got at all, for several seasons they build up the white walkers and the Knight King with the battle of Iron Throne taking more of a back seat......

Spoiler:

Athrun wrote:
When you have a cavalry charge completely unsupported in to a superior foe leaving your long range artillery on the front lines unprotected you are a badly written show that doesn't understand strategy so simple even untrained people are left going "huh? That doesn't make sense".

Yeah it didn't make sense strategy wise to do that but GoT isn't the first nor will it be the last show/film to do something like this to drive the plot forward and create an impact and that impact was absolutely massive, as it sets the tone of the battle.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) EmptySat 11 May 2019 - 21:42

To continue on the pacing of S1/2, we'd be looking at another 3 or 4 seasons easy. S8e3 took 55 days to film. Actors are real people, with ambition beyond GoT. It's not sustainable to expect them to stick with such a time intensive show, losing a heap of opportunities to capitalise on their current fame after playing the same character for 8 years

If it took 55 days to film one bumper episode, imagine how much more time a further 4 would have taken.

And on Athrun's spoilers:

S1-8/Book spoilers:
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) EmptyMon 13 May 2019 - 1:34

Really good post Muss. Your point about Tyrion's plot armour in the books is a strong one - the show might have taken the piss with its plot armour at points, but you've nailed it in saying that GRRM's as guilty of that as Benioff and Wise.

On another note, do we have a ASOIAF thread? We probably should make one rather than dumping it all into the movies thread.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) EmptyTue 14 May 2019 - 11:07

Honestly at this stage there isn't a point in one anyway.  Show's a week from wrapping up, and given the whimper it's going out on I doubt many people beyond those who boarded the train before it derailed will ever give it the time of day again.  Meanwhile the books, well, the book thread would be happy for discussions should Winds of Winter and Dream of Spring ever see the light of day.

In regards to plot armour, I feel a distinction needs to be made with regards to Tyrion's exploits and the sort of plot armour I'm criticising here.  All stories have plot armour for the main cast, any story that is about overcoming the odds, by the very virtue of that story, has "plot armour".  

Tyrion is established from the getgo as being exceptionally witty and cunning.  His constantly escaping consequences is one of his skills.  At times that can indeed stretch credibility, but it, at the very least, has precedence and reason for occurring.

The plot armour I'm referring to, the sort that destroys the credibility of stories, is in full effect during the current season of the show.  People getting swarmed by zombies with no hope of escape, the reason they escape being "the camera cuts and we see them fine later".  The only reason they survive is, literally, because the plot intervened to save them.  

All stories have some sort of plot armour in effect.  It's a necessary side-effect of the art of telling a story, akin to how a story will often get kickstarted by a coincidence.  Not all stories have plot armour that is so blatant, so obvious, and so ridiculous that the reader or viewers suspension of disbelief is shattered (the same goes for coincidences.  One or two at the start is fine, but if your entire plot is "this happens to happen, and then this illogical and very specific reaction happened, and then this caused another extremely unlikely chance-driven event to happen in response" then you're using coincidences wrong.)  

S8E5 spoilers:

The tweet-chain Treesmurf posted raised some excellent points, especially the part about how the series has gone from character driven to plot driven.  The series started as entirely character driven, that coupled with how fascinating, complex, and morally ambiguous those characters were led to television that was downright compelling.  It has devolved into a farce of itself.  

Maybe Martin's outline would have led to the same destination as the show has arrived at (I wager highly that if that is the case he would have made it work), maybe they've been tossed out the window by a couple of hacks pretending to be writters who think characters doing complete and sudden reversals of what they've stood for for eons for the sake of shock is compelling storytelling.  Either way the series is as good as dead.  

To be clear I don't complain about the show jumping off a shark-infested cliff at the last hour because I don't care.  The opposite.  I hold the first two seasons in high regard, and have been keeping tabs on the show in the hope it would stick the landing.  Unfortunately like so many large fantasy/sci-fi franchises in recent times it is instead dying at the last hurdle.  I would say more but wayne wants the lap so that's where I'll end this.

Last edited by JayMoyles on Wed 15 May 2019 - 1:02; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spoiler boxed!)
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) EmptyTue 14 May 2019 - 18:12

JayMoyles wrote:
Really good post Muss. Your point about Tyrion's plot armour in the books is a strong one - the show might have taken the piss with its plot armour at points, but you've nailed it in saying that GRRM's as guilty of that as Benioff and Wise.

On another note, do we have a ASOIAF thread? We probably should make one rather than dumping it all into the movies thread.

I think a new thread is a cracking idea. I'd love to re-read those books at some point. I know Drunka would be all over that, but if we could ever get a few people from the forum on board too that would be fun.

And to Athers, the further you go through Martin's work, the less it's Tyrion's silver tongue the saves him and the more it's anything but his wit
Book 3/5 spoiler:
. You're giving him a ton of leeway that you're not giving the characters on an episode the internet did a sad about.

And for fucks sake mate, just because you've decided the show you don't watch is irredeemable, doesn't mean that you should be so blase about writing major events when there are people on the forum who haven't seen it yet but who either want to eventually, or want to avoid the show spoilers for the sake of the book. Thumbs Down...
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) EmptyTue 14 May 2019 - 18:24

I only recently posted in the reading thread about a GNamer book club, which I do mention ASOIAF.

I'm not sure I can take Athrun serious with things like the show is deader then anyone the dragons have burned.

The last episode will still be one of the most finales, people will still checkout the prequals and spin-offs, also two bad seasons (again for GoT not TV) doesn't make the other 6 seasons bad that people still buy on DVD, Blu Ray or 4K.

Ohh wait you've not watched them, at least when I thought Breath of the Wild was shite, I continued on playing it, not go some people on the internet tell me it's good or bad that it must be that, no I have my on opinion even if some think it's a wrong one and doesn't suddenly make all the rest of the Zelda games bad either.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) EmptyWed 15 May 2019 - 1:03

Muss wrote:

I think a new thread is a cracking idea. I'd love to re-read those books at some point. I know Drunka would be all over that, but if we could ever get a few people from the forum on board too that would be fun.

Your wish is my command!

I'm also going to implement a wee rule - please don't post unmarked spoilers about Season 8. Chuck it in a spoiler box if you must guys!

Speaking of...

S8E5 Spoilers:
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) EmptyWed 15 May 2019 - 11:07

JayMoyles wrote:
Muss wrote:

Your wish is my command!

I'm also going to implement a wee rule - please don't post unmarked spoilers about Season 8. Chuck it in a spoiler box if you must guys!

Speaking of...

S8E5 Spoilers:

More ep 5 spoilers:
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) EmptySat 18 May 2019 - 12:32

I'll read the series if GRRM ever releases A Dream of Spring.  In fact I'll go a step further, the day A Dream of Spring releases will be the day I purchase a copy of the first three books, and pending my opinions in them at the end of A Storm of Swords I will go on to buy the rest of the series.  

All of that is contingent on GRRM releasing an ending however.  I have a thing about not starting a story that has a decent chance of never concluding and lacks a good stopping point.  

As for season eight, I see they continued to flush series-long character arcs down the drain this week.  Character development.  Have you heard of it D&D?  Because it sure seems like you haven't.  

To get one thing out of the way, I don't have an issue with the concept they're doing with Dany, yes.  It was indeed set up since season 1.  The problem is the execution is downright unbelievable.  

Spoiler:

Related but different stuff:

This season was rushed as hell and it shows.  Story-long setups have been finished in single episodes, and characters are moving as the plot demands it when once the plot moved where the characters demanded.  Presumably because D&D think "well we;ve got a Star Wars trilogy to plan and write, so we don't care about this project any longer".  Speaking of which after these last two episodes I'm honestly left wishing we were getting a full trilogy by Rian Johnson.  

I could understand if the series just fell flat on its face because expectations couldn't be met.  But this season has been the posterchild for a rushjob.  

It's all incredibly ironic that the story that countered so many fantasy tropes has ended by spamming as many of them as possible in the worst ways it can think of.  They should retitle the show to Soap Opera of Thrones, because at this point that's what it has become.  I've seen more believable melodramatic twists and stories from bad anime, and that's saying a lot.  

Now if you'll excuse me I have some good fantasy to read while I wait for the real winter to come, dreaming of the day spring arrives.  Then I might finally start watching Digimon. Tomorrow's going to be fun, I'm expecting the internet to go in to complete meltdown after the finale.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) EmptyMon 20 May 2019 - 17:57

So... finale thoughts, everyone?

S8E6 Spoilers:
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) EmptyMon 20 May 2019 - 18:44

Season finale spoilers:
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) EmptyTue 21 May 2019 - 12:08

It's a fitting ending to the season, that's for sure.  

By fitting I mean a complete spit in the face of the rest of the series and everything it originally stood for.  If I had come to people during any of the first four seasons and said "everyone that survives gets a happy ever after" what would their reactions have been?  I imagine laughter and snide remarks about how unfitting that sort of ending is for a series like Game of Thrones and how utterly stupid the person suggesting such an ending would occur is.  

And yet here we are.  

I'm honestly torn.  Half of me wants to rewatch the first two seasons along with the third and fourth for the superb pieces of television that they are, then strap in for the wild ride that is the final four trainwreck seasons.  But the other half of me, the logical half, asks me why I would spend my time doing that when I could be watching shows that either didn't complete botch their endings or I at least don't go in knowing they did (such as with Lost).

Ah well, at least there'll be no shortage of beautiful memes after this.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) EmptyTue 21 May 2019 - 12:18

Hasn't watched the show and saying Seasons 5 & 6 are trainwrecks, is just an utter joke

On the finale, it was okay and can see where they can go with these 5 spin-off series, well one is a prequel but the other 4 especially for one character.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) Empty

Back to top Go down

A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next