We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)

Go down 
+4
masofdas
The_Jaster
Buskalilly
Athrun888
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) - Page 2 EmptyTue 21 May 2019 - 17:04

I thought the finale was good. It wasn't mind-blowing, and it had some questionable content, but certainly not enough to cry about. The cinematography is still top notch and there were some incredible performances by pretty much all the major characters.

Finale spoilers:
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) - Page 2 EmptyThu 23 May 2019 - 0:45

Response to Muss's finale thoughts:
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) - Page 2 EmptyFri 24 May 2019 - 19:04

Response to Jay:

Here's a book question though. The lazy internet argument about TV thrones is that the writing has got worse over time. Is anybody's favourite book either Feast or A Dance with Dragons?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing those books as they're both really good books. I came into Feast with low expectations because I knew a lot of people who were disappointed by its focus on everything Greyjoy and Dornish, but remember thinking it was a cracking read. But the original trilogy in the saga firmly entrenches various "main" characters, and the latter two books divy them up in a weird way.

Much has been said about George's original intention to just have a 5 year gap between Feast and A Storm of Swords, and that this idea was ultimately unfeasible for George. But is this not evidence that the world building is getting away from the telling? At what point is there too much goings on elsewhere?
Feast/Dance Soilers:

I really like the intricacy George has with all the houses, the politics, and the representation of both Feudalism, tribalism, and the norse like Ironborn. And yet, I'm not sure I know anyone whose favourite book isn't any of the first 3, i.e., the ones that manage a lot of world building but focus on a much tighter cast of characters.

People moan ad nauseum about the show's pacing, its divergence from the books. And definitely there are arcs that aren't done amazingly, such as Dorne or perhaps even Stannis. But if it's taking an author the best part of ten years to finish the book that has to bring Feast and Dance together, maybe, just maybe, the telling in the books is being harmed by the density of the world? And maybe, just maybe, if the telling in the Show followed the books more closely, we'd all start complaining about how it's been going on forever, or that not enough happened in the middle episodes *cough, The Walking Dead.

For me, I'm not implying that the books are going full Silmarillion or anything close to the that! I strongly feel that whereas Tolkien was invested heavily in language, George continues to focus on the human heart in conflict with itself, it's just that although each chapter is from a first person perspective, the telling feels less personal and perhaps more disorientating than it used to.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) - Page 2 EmptySat 25 May 2019 - 15:05

More Dany stuff:

Maybe she changed a ton since seasons 1 and 2 and I am actually wrong. I'll likely never know, because I sure as heck am not about to spend all the money in my Switch fund and over seventy hours of my life simply to confirm a point being debated on the internet in a story that, even by the standards of the people that actually liked it in its entirety, has ended rather poorly. Even flushing that money down the gacha drain would be a better investment.

And with that I am bailing this time until/unless GRRM finishes the books, which considering how the show has ended will ultimately be the definitive version of the story.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) - Page 2 EmptyMon 27 May 2019 - 0:50

Muss wrote:
Response to Jay:

Finale chat:

Muss wrote:
Here's a book question though. The lazy internet argument about TV thrones is that the writing has got worse over time. Is anybody's favourite book either Feast or A Dance with Dragons?

Nope. I didn't like the structure of those books as such - splitting up the cast hurt the pacing as we were jumping back in time with ADWD, if I recall correctly. Couple that with more and more characters being introduced and the world started to feel a bit bloated, all told. My favourite is absolutely A Storm of Swords.

Athrun888 wrote:
Maybe she changed a ton since seasons 1 and 2 and I am actually wrong. 

Not to retread old ground, but you've essentially said it yourself there - she did go through a lot of development to rationally explain her actions in the later seasons.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)   A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread (HBO Show and Novels)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2