We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020

Go down 
+9
gjones
JayMoyles
Muss
Jimbob
Balladeer
OrangeRakoon
Buskalilly
The_Jaster
masofdas
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 Empty
PostSubject: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020   PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 EmptySat 12 Oct 2019 - 19:54

You may have seen the news this week that the next PlayStation will be called PlayStation 5 and will be launching holiday 2020.

This is what we know at the moment on both of the next-gen consoles

PlayStation 5:
Out Holiday 2020
Custom AMD Zen 2 8 Core CPU
Custom AMD GPU supports Ray Tracing and 3D Audio
4K, 120FPS, 8K also supported but I think this will be for Netflix and not games much like the Xbox One S with 4K but who knows
Solid State Drive size unknown
Backwards Compatibility PS4 and PSVR? Some questions around this as Cerny said yes but stuff coming from Japan saying not everything, I'm guessing digital and things like Ducktales which is no longer on PSN won't be on PS5 as it wouldn't be available to download.
Launch Games ???
Price ???
Other features Dual Shock 5 will have haptic feedback triggers

Xbox Series X:
Out Holiday 2020
Custom AMD Zen 2 8 Core CPU
Custom AMD GPU supports Ray Tracing and 3D Audio, 3D Audio not confirmed but Xbox One can do it
4K, 120FPS, 8K also supported but I think this will be for Netflix and not games much like the Xbox One S with 4K but who knows
Solid State Drive size unknown
Backwards Compatibility OG Xbox, Xbox 360 that are compatible with Xbox One and Xbox One games including Kinect again not sure about digital but MS have said they want everything an Xbox One can do a Scarlett can do
Launch Games Halo Infinite
Price ???
Other features Game Pass which would include Halo Infinite

Basically, these are even more the same at the moment on paper then the PS4 and Xbox One. Meaning it will likely come down to price, features, friends (maybe less so with cross-play) and games for which one you get

Last edited by masofdas on Fri 13 Dec 2019 - 8:19; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020   PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 EmptySat 12 Oct 2019 - 20:16

Once they start showing games for them I'll take an interest but right now I'm not that bothered about them.

Also throwing a number on the end of Playstation is the dumbest way to name a new system, it was just barely acceptable for their second console but somehow here we are getting a console named Playstation 5. (the shorthand of ps5 doesn't really roll off the tongue either)
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020   PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 EmptySat 12 Oct 2019 - 20:24

It is silly when you think about it but we know marketing wise makes sense even seen this from Insane games (my local game shop) on how it's easier for mums etc and they had issues with Xbox One and Wii U.

Jim Ryan's reasoning was it basically shows the PlayStation legacy pretty much and I guess you've got likes of iPhone 11 and Galaxy S10.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020   PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 EmptySun 13 Oct 2019 - 2:19

Around holiday 2020 I'll probably get around to buying my PS4 then. . .
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020   PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 EmptyMon 14 Oct 2019 - 11:35

PS numbering is way better than the hot mess that is xbox console names
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020   PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 EmptyMon 14 Oct 2019 - 11:38

That's really not saying a lot. A punch in the taint is better than a kick in the bollocks.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020   PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 EmptyMon 14 Oct 2019 - 12:02

What can I say, the numbers just make sense. What came after the PS2? The PS3. How many playstation generations have there been? 4. Easy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020   PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 EmptyMon 14 Oct 2019 - 14:34

I much prefer how Nintendo goes about it as it's very clear what the machine does by the name alone or like with the wii /U & Switch it has the selling point of the system right there in the name. For me the same goes for films that get sequels, whacking a number on the end is generally much much worse than giving it a subtitle.

Actually this reminds me of a scene in True romance where a director is talking to his assistant about the name to the sequel for a film called 'coming home in a body bag' (a very good name) & the back and forth ends with this:

Quote :

Lee:
What does Joe like?

Elliot:
Um..."Body Bags 2".

Lee:
Oooo, that's imaginative. I've got more taste in my penis.

So, basically the Playstation 5 name is body bags 2.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020   PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 EmptyMon 14 Oct 2019 - 15:21

My favourites will always be clever use of numbers in titles.

2 Fast 2 Furious? All timer.
Step up 2 The Streets? Masterful.
F8 of the Furious? I want to print that number 8 out really big and shag the two holes.
Whack a 3D on the end and make the third one 3D? I'll take it.
Look Who's Talking Too? Genius.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2? Doesn't seem that smart but then OMG the music thing, that's great.
Ali³n? Excellent. And a nightmare to write properly.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020   PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 EmptyMon 14 Oct 2019 - 19:41

So it should be called Play5tation?
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020   PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 EmptyMon 14 Oct 2019 - 20:17

Drunkalilly wrote:
My favourites will always be clever use of numbers in titles.

2 Fast 2 Furious? All timer.
Step up 2 The Streets? Masterful.
F8 of the Furious? I want to print that number 8 out really big and shag the two holes.
Whack a 3D on the end and make the third one 3D? I'll take it.
Look Who's Talking Too? Genius.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2? Doesn't seem that smart but then OMG the music thing, that's great.
Ali³n? Excellent. And a nightmare to write properly.

Yeah, I don't mind that so much as a lot of those are creative but you can get really bad titles that way as well.

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020   PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 EmptyMon 14 Oct 2019 - 20:22

Was just going to say that but with the simple name and I know it's only one game shop but we do know how the Wii U name turned out, with people still thinking its an add-on also not sure what else you would call a PS5 as it be a black box, that can't have a name like Switch as doesn't have a selling point like that.

Enough about the names I was thinking after I posted the specs, which one I will get out of the two if both have the same specs and let's say the same price for argument's sake.

Now I was leaning towards the Xbox Scarlett as the Xbox One is now my main system sure I have an X which is the best place to play 3rd party games on a console for the most part (some Japanese ones aren't) and why this month I'm buying Close to the Sun for it and not PS4 then looking at the rest of this month Modern Warfare I'll be playing on it because of game share and both Outer Worlds & Afterparty I'll be playing because of Game Pass.

Those last points even rang true before I had the One S as made sense to sub to Game Pass then buy the games on PS4, that only Close to the Sun I would be buying on PS4 if I didn't have an X.

Now those features will carry on to Scarlett, so I'll still have game share and game pass including Halo Infinite at launch maybe some others like Forza 8. Which is the problem as Halo Infinite is coming to Xbox One, PC and I'd guess XCloud. I'll have the game digitally because of game pass meaning I could play on base Xbox One, One S, One X, Scarlett, PC or my phone.

Sure the best console version of Halo Infinite will be on Scarlett but I doubt the Xbox One X version will be awful. Yes, this is the most consumer-friendly approach and how Spencer has been talking games going forward from Xbox Game Studios will be available on the Xbox platform and devices that support it, that makes me go why do I need a Scarlett.

I just looked at the Xbox One launch line up out of the 23 games, 17 were on Xbox 360 from the likes of EA and Ubisoft with the other 6 being exclusives for Xbox One. If the Scarlett launch is the same, the 17 games from Ubisoft and EA I could get on Xbox One eg FIFA 21 and the 6 exclusives eg Halo Infinite and Forza 8 would also be on Xbox One.

Sure eventually there will be a game from a Ubisoft or EA that is just on Scarlett and PS5 but till then basically, I could get everything on Xbox One and the X version wouldn't be a bad version I'm guessing like 1080p 60fps and not 4k 60fps for the likes of Halo Infinite.

That I've sort of convinced myself that I'm more likely to go PS5 as I will need a PS5 due to it's less consumer approach means I need to have one if I want to play Horizon Zero Dawn 2.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020   PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 EmptyTue 15 Oct 2019 - 1:33

Balladeer wrote:
So it should be called Play5tation?

I'd take it.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020   PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 EmptyFri 1 Nov 2019 - 19:45

Thanks to Ubisoft financials we've got some games coming to these consoles and the current consoles

That's two unnamed AAA games, Watch Dogs Legion, Rainbow Six Quarantine, Gods and Monsters (think this is also coming to Switch)

I think I said already things like Cyberpunk I'm iffy about getting when it comes out April as we see a next gen version 9 months later using ray tracing etc
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020   PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 EmptyFri 13 Dec 2019 - 8:28

We now know what the next Xbox is called and what it looks like
PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 Maxresdefault

Ohh and the first PS5 game which is coming Holiday 2020, it's a CO-OP loot slasher thing
PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 Dims?quality=85&image_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fo.aolcdn.com%2Fimages%2Fdims%3Fcrop%3D2048%252C1152%252C0%252C0%26quality%3D85%26format%3Djpg%26resize%3D1600%252C900%26image_uri%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fs.yimg
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020   PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 EmptyThu 19 Dec 2019 - 21:47

I...

Uh...

My immediate thought is that there's nowhere to put the XBox. We'd got to the stage where our consoles were designed to fit in the spaces that used to be occupied by VHS and DVD players (PS3/PS4/XBone/360/WiiU,Wii) or instead of an iPod dock (Switch). That's not going to go anywhere under my TV.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020   PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 EmptyThu 19 Dec 2019 - 22:28

It will lie down but about the height of two PS4 Pro's. They've talked about it's designed how it is for what's inside it, not the other way around along with looking at the likes of Alexa etc

Also it's actually called Xbox with this being the Series X version, think iPhone.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020   PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 EmptyFri 20 Dec 2019 - 1:36

So this was just complete nonsense then?

https://www.windowscentral.com/project-scarlett-name-reflect-its-abilities-says-xbox-head

Not only is the name right up there with ps5 in that both are rubbish but Microsoft's is just going to confuse a lot of people especially when it looks like they will lean into having multiple versions. For me you shouldn't need someone to explain to you in a sentence or two what a consoles hook is the name should make that immediately obvious, let's look at Nintendo Switch for example if you handed one to a person who had no prior knowledge of what it is they'd instantly get what the hook of the system is this just wouldn't happen with Sony's or MS's systems.

The iPhone comparison is a good one because definitely looks they will be looking to bump up their overall sales by having folk upgrade every year or two & that just doesn't sit right with me at all.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020   PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 EmptyFri 20 Dec 2019 - 8:25

PS5 like you say is a tad rubbish but no confusion on what PlayStation is the newest.

The Xbox name could be confusing, yet you bring up Nintendo which has the DS & 3DS stuff which have how many different versions & names but has sold combined over 220m, then you've got the WiiU at the other end.

That I'm not sure if it be confusing or not, as is it with a iPhone? I do think we will see multiple Series of Xbox going forward, this will sort of be where the whole beyond generations begins which they talked about in the past and knowing Halo Infinite will be playable on all current Xboxes shows that.

I do think the Xbox One family will be sort of cut-off at some point to move to Series Xbox instead.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020   PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 EmptyFri 20 Dec 2019 - 11:19

masofdas wrote:
The Xbox name could be confusing, yet you bring up Nintendo which has the DS & 3DS stuff which have how many different versions & names but has sold combined over 220m, then you've got the WiiU at the other end.

Having different versions isn't the problem the naming convention is, Phil Spencer said the name reflects the consoles abilities when to me it clearly doesn't......not to mention they went from saying the new name is "xbox series X" to "no, it's just Xbox" none of those two tell me what the systems hook is or what it excels at doing. (other than the obvious thing that it plays games, natch)  

Let's take those DS/3DS examples and break it down:

DS = Dual screen - despite the handhelds other features it's crystal clear what the main hook/abilities of the system are.

3DS = 3D + dual screen - This could quite easily have been called 3D DS thankfully Nintendo smartly just dropped the other D as that name just flows way better and you know the main hook is 3D.
(even the year or 2 year upgrades to these systems it was clear what was being added)

We on the same page? Now let's look at the new xbox names:

Xbox series X =  ?!..............is this just an add on to the current xbox? Other than it being a brand name it tells me nothing of what it can do.

or

Xbox = you mean the first one that released in 2002?

-----

Now the folk in the loop like on this forum might not get confused but the general public or parents buying for their kids definitely will & that's why I think it's a terrible name.

(side note: wii U was also a bad name but you can't blame Nintendo for trying capture lightning in a bottle for a second time after the crazy success of wii)
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020   PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 EmptyFri 20 Dec 2019 - 12:07

Sorry but I'm not on the same page, otherwise I wouldn't have brought it up and think we said about the New 3DS being.

Now I did think when it was announced that the name would make sense it should be called something like Xbox Ultimate because of Game Pass Ultimate as that's what it does well services.

Sort of why the name Xbox makes sense as I think we need to look at as iPhone, Netflix etc as a service.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020   PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 EmptyMon 23 Dec 2019 - 10:46

In 2025 we will get the XBox Box X.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020   PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 EmptyMon 23 Dec 2019 - 10:51

They should honestly just be using Roman numerals. That way we'll get to the XBox IX, XBox X, XBox XI et cetera.

PS5 is much clearer than XBox Series X, but does it matter? The audience MS are targetting is probably on the slightly savvier side.

Bottom line is that it doesn't matter because the Switch will still be better than both. Winky Face
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020   PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 EmptyMon 23 Dec 2019 - 11:16

The Xbox One X is sort of that already as the X stands for Xbox and they said about you can write it as XBOX.

I do think that's sort of true Balla as looking as the XSX, I know I won't have to buy Halo Infinite, Forza Motorsport 8, Everwild (predicting this is a launch game) and likes of Sea of Thieves will get an XSX patch along with a cool launch event.

Then with backwards compatibility and Game Pass, that when a new Xbox One game comes out which makes more sense for an indie to make then an XSX game, it still is on my XSX and be like a new game. This is going more in the realms of PC and Netflix.

The issue is what I just said I can do on my Xbox One X for what seems like a while, maybe till we see the Xbox Series S as a cheaper version of the XSX then cut-off the One family.

Where I've said before and Sony have said this themselves basically that a Horizon Zero Dawn 2 will be a PS5 game, that if I want to play that I got to get a PS5, where I don't for Halo Infinite on Xbox.

Yep, the Switch is great why I sold mine.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020   PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 EmptySat 4 Jan 2020 - 20:24

I've never really been a fan of the Xbox naming conventions. The first one was fine (the actual first one, not the one, one). The 360 was the insecure short kid, always standing as tall as they could, puffing out their chest, to make themselves seem as tall as the other guys - or in this case, as refined as the name 'Playstation 3'

Then there was the one with one in the name, which was peak post-industrial tech nonsense.

Now we're putting an X on the end as if its some sort of vehicular model.

Should've just called it X Blocks, Boxy McGee, or gone proper balls to the wall and called it the Xbone-r. (I don't actually dislike the design I just hate the names).

I look forward to finding out more about both of them this year anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020   PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020 Empty

Back to top Go down

PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X Coming Holiday 2020
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next