We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp

Go down 
+3
Buskalilly
JayMoyles
masofdas
7 posters
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp Empty
PostSubject: Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp   Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp EmptySat 12 Feb 2022 - 11:53

Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp Th?id=OIF

We now have a date of April 8th for this re-boot of the these two classic GBA games, peeps keen and what do we think about it having VO now?
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp   Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp EmptySat 12 Feb 2022 - 12:38

I've never played the originals. I got on well enough with Wargroove and by all accounts that didn't quite capture the magic of Advance Wars, so I suppose it's time I see what the one true king has to offer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp   Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp EmptySun 13 Feb 2022 - 2:27

I played and adored the two GBA ones and the two DS ones, which now that I think about it may have been all we got in the West? Very much up for this. While I love the stories and characters in a Fire Emblem, there;s a lot of fuss between battles. AW has none of that- it's just gameplay all the time.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp   Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp EmptySun 13 Feb 2022 - 11:59

I had a dodgy pirated version of Black Hole Rising and I had the edgy DS one - but I didn't really get into either of them. I think the genre felt too much like work and not enough like fun to me, at that age at least. But a few years ago I played through and loved Fire Emblem Awakening and I really want to like Re-Boot Camp, so I think I might take the plunge with the genre again!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp   Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp EmptySun 13 Feb 2022 - 13:29

I can see the similarities between AW and FE, but they are different genres, which I do like both.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp   Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp EmptySun 13 Feb 2022 - 14:33

I mean, they're both turn-based strategy games, surely...?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp   Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp EmptySun 13 Feb 2022 - 14:43

Ones turn-based strategy the other is a tactical rpg, I can see Buska rolling his eyes with this genre talk.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp   Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp EmptySun 13 Feb 2022 - 15:15

The battles in FE still include choosing where your unit's going on a grid, just like in AW. That core bit of gameplay seems fundamentally the same to me...!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp   Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp EmptySun 13 Feb 2022 - 17:31

The key difference between the turn-based strategy and strategic RPG sub-genres is this: Balla's faintly interested in the latter.

...except I wouldn't be in this thread if I wasn't a little bit interested. Still, my experience is similar to Rum's. I've only tried Black Hole Rising but I wasn't clever enough to play it well, and after a bit of being slapped with low grades because of my attritional yet effective approach, I quit. I'm faintly intrigued about this, and I think it looks really nice: I just reckon I'll be bobbins at it again. The thing about strategic RPGs is you can grind up to the point where being rubbish at strategy no longer prevents you from enjoying the game.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Kriken
Layton's Apprentice
Kriken

PostSubject: Re: Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp   Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp EmptySun 13 Feb 2022 - 20:16

I was planning to get this but I've spent too much money on other things lately so it's a maybe at this point.

Have loved all the games. I used to hold this in much higher esteem than Fire Emblem, but over the years I gravitated towards the latter because FE ultimately has a lot more replayability and variety in gameplay. That said, I can't say I've come close to beating all the war room maps on any of the games (apart from Dark Conflict), and replaying maps with different COs is a lot of fun (especially on AWDS with all the custom stuff). Of course, both series are also pretty different from each other.

I guess my main issue is: I've already played these games before. The new graphics are nice - love the plasticine-looking units especially - but apart from that and the online mode there's nothing here that makes this purchase seem essential to me. Voice acting is nice too but again, not a deal sealer.

I hope this does well enough to justify a new game, anyway.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp   Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp EmptyMon 14 Feb 2022 - 14:14

If you can play custom maps online then that's the selling point over the originals for me
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp   Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp Empty

Back to top Go down

Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp
Page 1 of 1