We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?

Go down 
+25
kerr9000
Buskalilly
Crumpy Andy
Spiralcannon2-CW
EofGizmo
ssmmdd
The Cappuccino Kid
Fastpie
gjones
oldschool
Treesmurf
Cube
Jimbob
mandlecreed
Dusty Knackers
ZeroJones
fronkhead
JayMoyles
Silver light
Balladeer
Vidofnir
The_Jaster
masofdas
beemoh
Admin
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28  Next
AuthorMessage
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 EmptySat 16 May 2020 - 13:04

There's lots I could recommend on PS2, but I don't have any clue about any of those games that you've listed (except for Jak & Daxter, that's class).

~

I've abandoned my plan to play games from all my consoles. I'll finish up the Dreamcast game I was playing (SEGA Bass Fishing), but I can't see me going back to the XBox or Mega Drive games I was halfway through (JSRF and The Ooze).

The main reason I'm not doing that anymore is because I was overlooking my N64 collection. I've accumulated almost two hundred games, and there's quite a lot that I've not completed - there's some I've not even played. It's my all-time favourite console, and it needs done justice. I've already completed three games (that I'll review when I can be arsed) and I'm a bawhair away from polishing off Pilotwings 64. I've got four other N64 games on the go too. And I've got to say, even if some of the games aren't the greatest, I'm loving going back to it and having these new (old) experiences. I absolutely love the Nintendo 64.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 EmptySat 16 May 2020 - 14:19

What about 5 you would recommend that just on PS2

Also you're about 40 odd for a complete N64 collection, what are you missing?
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 EmptySat 16 May 2020 - 15:18

On PS2, five exclusives I'd recommend off the top my head are Sky Odyssey, Parappa The Rapper 2, Aqua Aqua: Wetrix 2, Rumble Racing and Onimusha 2. I appreciate that my taste in games won't likely match yours though. 

It's mostly just the expensive and uncommon N64 games I'd need, the games that I simply never saw out in the wild back in the day. Looking at CEX just now, I'm not prepared to pay £25 for a loose copy of Rampage 2: Universal Tour, or £35 for a loose copy of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys. It's stuff like that.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 EmptySat 16 May 2020 - 18:46

Think only Onimusha 2 would be for me out of those, I hope Capcom brings them over to modern systems like the first game.

Do you have many imports in your N64 collection? As Sin and Punishment is the one most seem to have or want
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 EmptySun 17 May 2020 - 9:17

Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 IMG_20200516_191411570_zpstpkctnhj

I've only got these. There's some very good stuff there, especially the one that's second-left on the top row, Virtua Pro Wrestling 2. That might be one of my top ten N64 games, it's that good. I've got Sin & Punishment on Wii Virtual Console, but I'd like to have a cartridge too.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 EmptySun 17 May 2020 - 13:01

Nice

I've said in the past import games have always interested me as someone who read old mags which would show Mega Drive games early then with the PS1 having it chipped that I had burnt games and imports.

I wanted to import my Cube from Japan but my Dad wouldn't let me and told me just to wait, I did import my DS though and have a few games on newer systems but I think the internet and sites making a big deal about you can get this English language Asian Switch game of some indie it has lost some of it's charm.

Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 EmptySun 17 May 2020 - 13:10

The N64 carts are beautiful, aren't they? Definitely my favourite design. Nice and chunky, with that slick curve at the top *chef's kiss*

I flirted with the idea of picking up either a PS2 or N64 but this quarantine has let places crank up their prices. Disgusting behaviour. On a related note, I noticed Okami, Onimusha and Devil May Cry are all on sale on the Switch - which would you guys recommend?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 EmptySun 17 May 2020 - 13:42

You say that and it might because I had a game shop / market stall but it's just supply and demand, with people bidding on PS2's, Wii's etc on eBay and driving the prices up that if I still had the shop would I still be selling a Wii for around £20 for Cappa to come in and buy to put it on eBay for £50.

No I would be putting on eBay myself or changing the price if I had an online store, yeah it's not nice but would you really list that Wii on eBay for £19.99 when all the rest are going for more?

What will be interesting what will happen after lockdown will the prices crash or will people who I guess have now started collecting for PS2 continue to do that and keep the prices up or will we see suddenly all these people selling everything back on as now not using.

As for your games Okami holds up great still and the best of the bunch, Devil May Cry won't from what Jay was saying as he played them all recently also don't touch 2 ever, Onimusha I enjoyed when I played on PS4 but it still has tank like controls.

Last edited by masofdas on Sun 17 May 2020 - 14:59; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 EmptySun 17 May 2020 - 14:41

I wouldn't know about Devil May Cry or Okami, but I played through the Switch update of Onimusha: Warlords about a year ago. I reviewed it on here, and said "I think it’s a really interesting artefact of the early days of the PS2, a game very much of it’s time. As one of those palate-cleanser games, I cautiously recommend Onimusha: Warlords. Just don’t expect anything contemporary or innovative. Me, I liked that I could switch my brain off, and batter through it quite comfortably over the course of a few nights. 7/10". £8 is a decent price for it.

I was completely unaware that prices have gone up for retro consoles since lockdown, although it's not surprising. What happens with folk and their retro gaming after lockdown is over will be interesting right enough.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 EmptyWed 20 May 2020 - 18:38

Played some of the XBLA port of Daytona USA which I picked up in a recent sale, the game is still fun but now outside an arcade it does lose something as it only has three tracks which the highscore chasing now seems a tad redundant with maybe a handful of people playing it & posting scores online in 2020.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 EmptyWed 20 May 2020 - 21:53

Controversial, but I never saw the appeal of Daytona. And I'd consider myself someone who loves much of their output in the arcades, but driving in a circle (or variants of) against a timer never felt as compelling as trying to reach that next checkpoint did in SEGA Rally or Outrun 2. It may be because I played it years later in a run down arcade, but would I be right in thinking much of its charm laid in it being a technical marvel in 1994/1995? A bit like Virtua Fighter 2 - important title but that's another one I struggled to enjoy from that time period.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 EmptyThu 21 May 2020 - 5:48

I've never played Datona but it is one of the greatest games ever made thanks to this:

Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 EmptyThu 21 May 2020 - 9:22

It's really only the first track that's just a oval but the 3rd track is something you'd find on any racer which you do need to get to the checkpoints etc

Think even myself just played the first track especially in the arcade, also soundtrack is good
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 EmptyThu 21 May 2020 - 10:40

I really like Daytona USA! Like with the first Ridge Racer and Virtua Racing, I don't mind that there's only three tracks, as they're all brilliantly designed. Right enough though, my pre-owned copy of Daytona USA has a £49.99 HMV sticker on the back - I'd maybe not be so chuffed if I'd planted that much on it.

Sky High from the third track is one of my favourite game tunes too. I think of it on really sunny days (which in Scotland, doesn't happen often to be fair)

Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 EmptyThu 21 May 2020 - 10:41

Buskalilly wrote:
I've never played Datona but it is one of the greatest games ever made thanks to this:

YES

This guy is my hero
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 EmptySat 11 Jul 2020 - 23:00

Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 Doa4cover

Dead or Alive 4 (2005)

I picked this up with a few other "launch era" Xbox 360 games, as it will be the 15-year anniversary later in the year. The early Xbox 360 was an interesting period and was the last time I joined the next-gen at launch, so it will be fun to relive the first year of one of my favourite systems. My friend gave me his original white 360, so I don't know how long it will last, but considering the games are a quid I'm not too phased if it does conk out.

Dead or Alive 3 was an OG Xbox launch title and the fourth entry carries that tradition, kinda. It was intended to be a launch title, but released a month later than planned. Microsoft blamed this delay on the poor Xbox 360 sales, but let's be honest, a shoddy Perfect Dark sequel was the reason for that. Is DOA4 any good? I'm not a big fighting game player, despite enjoying your usual Tekken, Virtua Fighter and Soul Calibur titles - I've never really learnt player moves and mastered a character like any serious gamer would. I picked Ayane, because part of me prefers seeing a lady dish out violence to juiced up male gymrats.

Dead or Alive reminds me of Tekken, without some of the "flashiness". The character design isn't as strong and does often copy Virtua Fighter's (Ninja bloke, wrestler, failed princess etc.) but the game plays a lot friendlier than VF. Button-mashing works to a degree, but there is a counter-system that lets you block and reverse moves, which looks AMAZING in action. Mash the kick button too much and the opponent will grab your leg and throw you.

I gave the Story mode a bash and you beat a selection of characters in 1-round fights, at completely random locations. You'll be fighting on top of a skyscraper, and then with no explanation or context, you're suddenly facing a lass in a jungle. With dinosaurs in the background (a velociraptor actually ran through a fight and caught me!). If anyone has played DOA you'll know that you can smash through to other parts of the level, which is a neat gimmick, but the best feature of the Story mode is that if you lose a fight, you simply start the fight again. There's none of the "Continue?" "9, 8, 7..." nonsense. The story itself is complete bollocks, but the final boss is actually broken. She's called Alpha-152 and is a naked, green Dural rip-off, but is so overpowered and combo-heavy that one attack wipes out over half of your health bar. I couldn't update the game because when the "2MB update required" prompt pops up, it also disconnects me from Xbox Live. Very odd. So I'm playing the 2005 original and it looks like this was a common complaint that must have been patched, but I won't know! I'll certainly be returning to DOA4 though and hopefully I can get the patch installed, because the fighting mechanics, the speed of the game, and the graphics in particular, hold up much better than any of the bras do.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 EmptySun 12 Jul 2020 - 10:30

Early 360 was great as I picked up a OG Xbox because of the SEGA stuff but also played Xbox Exclusives then, that when 360 came around I was interested what MS had to offer and first few years were decent with your DOA4's, Halo 3, Gears, PGR etc shame it went to focus on TV, TV, TV, Kinect, Kinect, Kinect instead
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 EmptyTue 14 Jul 2020 - 17:57

As you may have seen elsewhere I now have a 3DO, and talked about Starblade elsewhere as well because I finished that

Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 41f220_524168c9a8c39f97d672d22e96dc8cf9.png_srz_440_295_85_22_0.50_1.20_0
That talking about everything else

First the console, I like the look of it personally and nice to see the different connection options that I had mine running via HDMI adapter, decent in terms of picture quality.

OS is basically a screen saver over and over, which is a tad annoying as to get to the saved data for games you have to use certain games or the sampler disc which I do have.

Sampler Disc is just a chap narrating going on about enjoy your new 3DO and this is what it can do like play Music CD's and VCD's with adapter which only came out in Japan in the end. Does have 5mins of Batman the animated series which is good but overall this will be only used if I need to delete stuff of the memory. Now I own a 3DO, odd this isn't mentioned more often talked about the OG Xbox has a built in HDD where the 3DO does as well, now sure huge difference in size but still for 1994 impressive.  Also, could see the last owner had a few games for this at one point from his/her saves.

Controller has a super long cable, which was handy how I set it up as the power supply is attached to the console that I had to put it close to an outlet. Controller is like a big SNES pad, which is fine part from the tiny d-pad.

Then the games the three I've not finished so far Blade Force this has awful poppin and the box mentions how it runs in film like 24fps which I find hilarious as selling pint where in 2020 people moan if a game 30fps, will say though the cutscenes with the characters are like the early Fallout games.

PO'ed, I did the first level and seems an okay FPS but the second level due to everything being purple I had no idea where I was going but gives me hope for Wolfenstein 3D which is a near perfect port.

Then the big'un which may have been a system seller back in the day Wing Commander III, I didn't play much but the FMV stuff is fantastic with Mark Hamill so far and the game but wasn't bad either, can see me coming back to this one soon'ish.

First impressions are mixed nothing part from Wing Commander III really stood out on why you maybe want one of these but with what I know if I can get my hands on the likes of D, Street Fighter II (like the best console version), FIFA, Road Rash, Gex, Night Trap from the 300+ games then it be a good time.

I can get why at one point why this was deemed the best place for games especially for sports titles compared to the Mega Drive and SNES but it's in the same gen as the Saturn, PS1, N64 which will all blow it out of the water.

Feels it either came too late or to early depending on what you compare it to.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 EmptyFri 17 Jul 2020 - 12:25

Quite liked Dead of Alive 4! It's not a series I think about often, but it's always been decent, and I appreciate that it's "friendlier" than most other fighting games too. I've still got the first two on PlayStation 1 and 2 somewhere, and that 3DS one too.

mas, how much did that 3DO set you back? I know really little about it, I don't think I've even seen one before.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 EmptyFri 17 Jul 2020 - 12:40

The 3DO with 12 months guarantee, 1 controller, 1 sampler disc and 3 games cost £170 then I bought PO'ed from the weird junk shop around the corner for a tenner.

Which sounds a lot but it's sort in line with eBay prices, just a tad cheaper, as talking to Adam in the game shop, they priced it knowing not a lot of people would know what it is or rushing to buy it.

Which makes the CD32 costing £200 with a few games seem way too much as that's even more obscure.

I do have about 8 more games coming for my 3DO including the allegedly amazing version of Street Fighter II, so once those have come I'll post my thoughts on them also anything you want to know just ask.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 EmptySun 19 Jul 2020 - 15:42

I'm currently replaying Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - I bought the trilogy on Switch, but the game itself is technically a 19-year-old GBA game I figure it counts as retro!

I've done the first two cases (the introductory one where you defend Larry Butz, and then the Mia case) and it still holds up well. The only thing I'd level at it so far is that the second case ends quite abruptly, which I don't really remember it doing. I've forgotten enough about the game for it to be enjoyably fresh, and I never played Justice for All or Trials and Tribulations so I'm looking forward to experiencing those for the first time once I get to them!

Also, I had forgotten how gratuitously booby Mia Fey is.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 EmptySun 19 Jul 2020 - 16:00

Never played T&T?  You're in for a heck of a treat there Rum!  (JfA not so much.  You'd be well within your rights to skip Turnabout Big Top and nothing of value would be lost.  Cracking finish though.)

Rum Rapture wrote:
Also, I had forgotten how gratuitously booby Mia Fey is.

Yep, always made me feel rather Meh , especially when you play as her early doors when she seems like a very serious lawyer who's trying her best - and for some reason would like the courtroom to see a lot of her cleavage.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 EmptySun 19 Jul 2020 - 18:10

I'll keep an eye on your 3DO posts, masofdas.

Turnabout Big Top was shite.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 EmptyThu 13 Aug 2020 - 16:04

Played some 3DO today

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Slayer

This a dungeon crawler, doesn't look great because it's grey because dungeon and modern games have made things like this hard as I've got no idea where I'm meant to be going that I just went forward and hoped for the best.  

BattleSport

You're in tanks and you score points by either shooting down your enemy or scoring goals with a ball, so imagine old rocket league played in first person. It's fine, just lacks modes you can setup a tourney but that about it.

Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels

I'm sure I played this on PS1 and found it to be dark & gloomy, it's still sort like that on the 3DO but a tad better and I've found THIS

Super Street Fighter II X Grand Master Challenge

This is a Japanese import as the 3DO is region free part from an odd game or two. Most of the game is English like the menu, character names, countdown if you lose and even if it was in Japanese still be fine as it's a fighter.

I just suck at SFII even if it's the best game I have on 3DO (Maybe Wing Commander), just never really clicked compared to Mortal Kombat from that era. Still plays great and sounds good as well which was the big deal because of it being on a CD. Is odd seeing the different names for characters such as Vega being Balrog.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 EmptyFri 14 Aug 2020 - 20:03

Oh no! I hadn't heard of those first two, and looked them up. They seem like every prejudice I'd have about 3DO games. The AD&D video was basically spent with someone sliding their face against the wall, and BattleSport looks like pretty graphics around a very basic game.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 22 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?
Page 22 of 28Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28  Next