We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts

Go down 
+21
Kriken
gjones
OrangeRakoon
oldschool
Cube
Admin
Treesmurf
Buskalilly
Axis1500
Rum
beemoh
fronkhead
2grundies
Crumpy Andy
Vidofnir
ZeroJones
Athrun888
The Cappuccino Kid
Dusty Knackers
JayMoyles
Jimbob
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 28 ... 38  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 EmptyTue 15 Oct 2019 - 23:30

I may checkout a let's play or some sort of story wrap-up video.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 EmptyThu 17 Oct 2019 - 19:50

It's better than nothing I suppose, but so's Mighty No. 9 apparently.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 EmptyFri 18 Oct 2019 - 2:27

I know something you can get to make you feel better, Balla.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 EmptyFri 18 Oct 2019 - 16:29

Can't believe I didn't see that coming before I opened the spoiler. Laughing

I'm sure some people will actually have that attitude (or the 'it's optional content for experts, you don't need to play it to see the ending' alternative), but for me it's disappointing that the game's now locking story content, not just great level design, behind the 'git vv gud' wall.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 EmptySat 19 Oct 2019 - 1:07

It's difficult to argue that they are locking story content behind gameplay considering how fair Celeste is with its Assist Mode. I'll give you level design as you perhaps won't get the same sense of satisfaction and appreciation for the level design, but it's not like they're holding anything back without a route to get to said content if you're struggling.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 EmptySat 19 Oct 2019 - 12:24

Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfodJYmNQz__6z2HB897FEPDHhTxmSA_JoQdzgLkrVjDFImKwx&s

Quite disappointed to be putting The Nightmare Before Christmas: Oogie's Revenge (PS2) back in it's box, uncompleted. I'd love to have stuck with it, as it absolutely nails the spirit of the classic 1993 film. It's very faithful to the source material for the most part, with many the characters and songs that you'll undoubtedly remember vividly if you've ever seen the film. There's parts of it that are reworked to compliment a story-driven action-adventure computer game better, but it retains the film's style fantastically well all the same. 

What a shame though that the combat is so jarringly dull. It lacks style and substance; it's a bog-standard mid-2000's Capcom hack n' slasher, yet with much less variety in it's moveset than you'd probably be wanting. Add in backtracking and a dodgy camera, I simply got bored with it before I'd had the chance to finish it. It's just too samey. This would be a great shout for Drunkalilly's 'Games They Played' thread, as I'd imagine that it would be much more fun to watch someone else play this than it is yourself.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 EmptySun 20 Oct 2019 - 12:06

JayMoyles wrote:
It's difficult to argue that they are locking story content behind gameplay considering how fair Celeste is with its Assist Mode. I'll give you level design as you perhaps won't get the same sense of satisfaction and appreciation for the level design, but it's not like they're holding anything back without a route to get to said content if you're struggling.

I recognise that this is mostly my problem rather than the game's. Still though. Sad Another one for LGTP maybe.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 EmptyMon 21 Oct 2019 - 14:54

Just use assist mode Balla! If the game has taught us anything, surely it's that using an assist mode is okay Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 EmptyMon 21 Oct 2019 - 21:40

but it's nooooooot

Nah of course it is, I'm just pretty sure I'd not get the same fun out of it. I reckon that, depending on how I tweak the AM settings, I'll either find the B-sides dull or too hard. I need that plot context, that feeling of progressing a story, to propel me through them.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 EmptySun 10 Nov 2019 - 18:57

Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 Childoflight_nakedboxshot_mobile_156297
I gave Child of Light a go - turn-based fighting is not my thing, but I thought I could see past it if everything else was interesting. Unfortunately, it hasn't held my interest. I feel quite guilty about this, as it's clearly a beautiful game, but it's a bit of a mess to play. I'm not sure the writing's good enough either; rhyming everything is "clever" in theory, but it just ends up with you waiting for more unnecessary text to appear.

Also
Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 220px-Mighty_Bomb_Jack_cover
I got through Tecmo's other NES entry, Solomon's Key - but this is craptacular. It's full of old-school cryptic nonsense, surrounded by a platform game that had been eclipsed a couple of years previously by Super Mario Bros.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 EmptyMon 11 Nov 2019 - 10:13

To quote Jimbob, ‘BOOOOOOOOO’

Nah I can completely get why CoL wouldn’t be everyone’s, and indeed your, cup of tea.  I maintain that the rhyming dialogue fell on the right side of charming, but - personal taste innit.

Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 758298
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 EmptyThu 14 Nov 2019 - 22:03

I might give it another go, as I haven't uninstalled it or anything. But I've had to drop one game somewhere, and that was at the bottom I'm afraid (*continues to play Breath of Fire and Adventures of Logo*)
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 EmptyFri 15 Nov 2019 - 9:52

Talking of rhyming dialogue, I've found it not particularly great in Milkmaid of the Milky Way which I just got on sale on Switch
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 EmptyFri 6 Dec 2019 - 13:26

Fatal Fury Special

Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 H2x1_NSwitchDS_AcaNeogeoFatalFurySpecial_image1600w

I spent a good 5 or 6 hours trying to beat the arcade mode for this fighting game but the AI is just a big cheating bastard even when you set it to the lowest difficulty & have all the credits in the world.

Despite that as a fighting game it is great fun & would likely still hold up when playing against another player (sadly I don't have this option) & even though it shows its age a little bit by not having certain features (like defensive options) that are now a main stay in the genre the mechanics that are there are fun to figure out and play around with. Also after loving him as a fighter in Smash Bros Ultimate it was great playing one of Terry Bogard's earlier games and seeing how faithful they are to his fighting style, I've also bought Garou: Mark of the Wolves (the final installment of the Fatal Fury series) and I'm hoping I get on much better with that game being that it came out 6 years after FF Special.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 EmptySat 4 Jan 2020 - 15:57

Arise A Simple Story, I saw this in a State of Play I believe and it looked good.

Saw it reviewed well, and seemed like my sort of thing that I bought on Xbox One.

I've tried playing it a few times here and there, I don't know if I'm missing something but really not feeling it at all then today as I thought I'll try finishing it, the jumping mechanic just started to piss me off.

I'm not one to rage quit but really annoyed by the game, that I've even requested a refund for the first time ever as it wasn't that cheap for what it is and I'm never going to go back to it.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 EmptyWed 8 Jan 2020 - 21:39

Death Stranding. No surprise to me this one, I was really curious about it and hopeful that my love for exploring Hyrule in BOTW would translate to wondering around this and just existing in its map. Sadly the gameplay is just too bare bones for me to get in to it and what gameplay there is felt repetitive.

I like the idea behind it though, the "Stranding" gameplay is something I could see being used elsewhere (although it's basically a more advanced version of Miiverse when you think about it). The graphics are gorgeous and the story as bonkers as it is, that's the main thing that made me want to continue, I could quite happily watch a shortened playthrough of it perhaps if I want to see what happens.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 EmptyWed 8 Jan 2020 - 21:44

How far did you get? As Chapter 3 or 4 it really ramps up, with the missions being a tad different along with more of the story happening that it does become less game more movie though.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 EmptyWed 8 Jan 2020 - 21:58

Was only on chapter 2, I had every intention of going on longer but no desire to actually play it, it's pretty much what I expected to be, which is fine, I can see the appeal for some but I can't bring myself to play until it gets good.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 EmptyThu 9 Jan 2020 - 10:35

You've experienced the basic structure of the game in chapter 2, but not most of the extra mechanics/items/traversal options that build on it. Did you get caught by BTs and fight a catcher at least?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 EmptyFri 10 Jan 2020 - 7:25

Sounds like one of the many JRPGs where they forget you're meant to include a hook at the beginning, to keep people playing through the shoddy bits.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 EmptyFri 10 Jan 2020 - 9:49

Guess that would be the story in DS case but I found every mission great, by how am I going to get to the destination and what will I need to do it.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 EmptyFri 10 Jan 2020 - 12:38

The thing is everyone is going to value their time differently, aren't they? We have all canned games earlier than folk suggest you should because no one likes slogging through something while thinking oh this is meant to get better. Also some times the pacing of a game is everything.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 EmptyFri 10 Jan 2020 - 13:38

I don't think it gets better, but it continues to be different. If that makes sense?
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 EmptyFri 10 Jan 2020 - 17:35

Sure, but even then I think my previous post would still apply.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 EmptyFri 10 Jan 2020 - 23:38

OrangeRakoon wrote:
You've experienced the basic structure of the game in chapter 2, but not most of the extra mechanics/items/traversal options that build on it. Did you get caught by BTs and fight a catcher at least?

Had a run in with BTs yeah and it felt very reminiscent of one of my least favourite sections of Phantom Pain so that didn't help. It's as Has said really, when I said to myself let's play it another part of me said play something else I know I'll enjoy.

I'll be the first to admit I can often bin off a game very early on but I wasn't seeing enough to keep me hooked other than curiosity for the story and some nice music, both of which I can experience without the bits in between that bored me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 19 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts
Page 19 of 38Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 28 ... 38  Next