We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts

Go down 
+21
Kriken
gjones
OrangeRakoon
oldschool
Cube
Admin
Treesmurf
Buskalilly
Axis1500
Rum
beemoh
fronkhead
2grundies
Crumpy Andy
Vidofnir
ZeroJones
Athrun888
The Cappuccino Kid
Dusty Knackers
JayMoyles
Jimbob
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 30 ... 38  Next
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 EmptyMon 22 Jun 2020 - 19:14

I think it's at the point, almost three months deep, where I can make a judgement on Animal Crossing: New Horizons.  I'd say it's the best Animal Crossing experience I've had, despite not quite knowing whether that's more because of the game or the situation (lockdown, The Lady getting it, lack of other big games etc.).  I still have the same issues with it that I've had with most of the games in the series, and it's never going to make my top X games of all time, but it's been beautiful and calming and at least initially it's much better paced.  I've even picked up some of the terraforming, despite never liking creative stuff in games.

It's settled into a bit of a grind at this point that I'm constantly questioning whether I enjoy, and I reckon I'm a big game away from dropping it for good; but I've enjoyed my time with ACNH more than I expected to and don't regret picking it up.  I'm aware that this is damning with faint praise, but it's not 'my sort' of game/thing, I came into it brimming with reluctance, and I've been pleasantly surprised.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 EmptyMon 22 Jun 2020 - 23:51

I dropped off of Animal Crossing a while ago, just kind of suddenly topped playing. It was nice while it lasted though and I'm probably only an event I'm interested in away from getting invested in it again.
Back to top Go down
Kriken
Layton's Apprentice
Kriken

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 EmptyTue 23 Jun 2020 - 1:43

Another one for Animal Crossing, which I got bored of. Sold it for same price I got it for though, so no regrets.

Ultimately, I guess it wasn't enough of a departure from previous entries for me. It's probably the best entry but it feels like I've experienced enough of the game through Wild World and New Leaf.

Also never got to play it online because my NSO expired a few months ago and I didn't want to resub. Made things a bit more of a grind since I couldn't exploit the turnip market. Didn't want to buy online just for that.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 EmptyTue 23 Jun 2020 - 8:20

I'm still dipping in every day and playing a little and having a lovely time, but I understand that the core AC thang is not to everyone's tastes. I'm glad some of you got a little more fun from this time than you might otherwise have.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 EmptyTue 23 Jun 2020 - 12:20

Same as Buskalilly, really. I made the judgement on New Horizons a couple of months ago, which is that I think it's one of the best games I've ever played.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 EmptyWed 24 Jun 2020 - 17:11

I think I've played New Horizons every day since I got it at launch, so that's over 3 months straight now. Quite a lot of short sessions, but I think that's helped me not overindulge and give up on it. That and being on furlough for the vast majority of that time...
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 EmptyThu 25 Jun 2020 - 19:10

I'm trying to use that formula, and for a while it's worked pretty well, but now even a little bit a day sometimes feels like a chore. Sometimes it doesn't though - and typically, it's not long after I start moaning that Nintendo announce something new and it makes me a little more excited than I was. Smile

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
Same as Buskalilly, really. I made the judgement on New Horizons a couple of months ago, which is that I think it's one of the best games I've ever played.

This genuinely surprises me though. If you're so inclined, could I ask for a bit more detail on why you think this? I understand why people love Animal Crossing more than I do, but because of what I feel are inherent contradictions in the game's formula, I can't currently see how any Animal Crossing could be truly top tier. I'd like to be enlightened.

More on those contradictions:
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 EmptyFri 10 Jul 2020 - 4:13

Sonic The Hedgehog
Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 Hqdefault
During some recent chat about Crash Bandicoot, the question of whether Sonic was ever decent came up again. I've also been enjoying Sonic The Comic The Podcast, and recently I saw the Sonic movie. I decided to finally go back and try Sonic the Hedgehog with an open mind and fresh set of eyes.

Zone 1? Stunning. Iconic music. Gorgeous visuals. Fun, fast gameplay. Phenomenal.
Zone 2 onwards? Slow. Frustrating. Gash.

This game was like 7 years after Super Mario Bros. Not only is it not as good, it doesn't compete. I've heard the game is fun if you play the levels over and over until you've memorised them and can bash through them fast. Maybe that was good if you were a young child with abusive parents who bought you this instead of a Nintendo, but I'm a grown man who can pick and choose what videogames I play. Why would I choose Sonic when Mario exists.

Mario holds Sonic on the floor and pisses in his mouth and Sonic says thank you. It is an absolute joke that people used to think of this as a rivalry. This is a rivalry like SNamer has a rivalry with Reddit.

Shite.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 EmptyFri 10 Jul 2020 - 5:29

Where's my boo this man button
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 EmptyFri 10 Jul 2020 - 10:17

Buskalilly wrote:
Sonic The Hedgehog

Mario holds Sonic on the floor and pisses in his mouth and Sonic says thank you.

Shite.

I'm now wondering what Mario would do to poor Alex Kidd, Ristar, Vectorman et al.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 EmptyFri 10 Jul 2020 - 12:26

Parts of Sonic 1 are slow and frustrating, but you've outed yourself as a massive Tory with the rest of that review, Buskalilly.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 EmptyFri 10 Jul 2020 - 13:49

I've got to agree with Buska there - I've never had a fun time playing Sonic 1 outside of Green Hill Zone. The later zones just serve to highlight my issues with 2D Sonics - the jarring change of pace from zipping along through the levels to ploddingly slow and frustrating platforming does nothing to endear the game to me. Shite.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 EmptyFri 10 Jul 2020 - 13:52

Parts of Sonic 1 are slow and frustrating, but you've outed yourself as a massive Tory with the rest of that review, Buskalilly.

I level skipped to every zone and they were all fuckery.

Also, as a kid my nan had a Sega, my dad had a PS1 and I didn't have a console until the Gamecube.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 EmptyFri 10 Jul 2020 - 14:39

Buskalilly wrote:

I level skipped to every zone and they were all fuckery.

Also, as a kid my nan had a Sega, my dad had a PS1 and I didn't have a console until the Gamecube.

Your nan sounds wicked - my nan had Rummikub, Upwords and ruddy Backgammon. New thread idea: Were your family gamers?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 EmptyFri 10 Jul 2020 - 14:42

Still the Mega Drive was the right choice over SNES even discounting Sonic, in Europe, because we didn't get half the games on the SNES so no Final Fantasy VI but did get Phantasy Star IV.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 EmptyFri 10 Jul 2020 - 14:56

gjones wrote:
Your nan sounds wicked
She's great. Until I was five and my mother and I moved out of her house, I spent all day with her watching Schwarzenegger films which were definitely not appropriate.
Quote :
New thread idea: Were your family gamers?
DO IT!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 EmptyFri 10 Jul 2020 - 14:57

masofdas wrote:
Still the Mega Drive was the right choice over SNES even discounting Sonic, in Europe, because we didn't get half the games on the SNES so no Final Fantasy VI but did get Phantasy Star IV.

Did Mega Drive have Super Metroid and Super Mario World? Nah? Fuck it then.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 EmptyFri 10 Jul 2020 - 15:28

I had a Mega Drive at the time, but I accept that the SNES is the better system. The catalogue has aged better. If we was to make a decisive Top 10 Games across both systems, I think only Streets of Rage 2 and Gunstar Heroes would hold their own alongside Super Metroid and A Link to the Past.
Back to top Go down
Kriken
Layton's Apprentice
Kriken

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 EmptyFri 10 Jul 2020 - 15:44

To be honest even a lot of Sonic fans will admit the first Sonic game isn't that good. Most will say their favourite is Sonic 2 or Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It's rare that they'll say it's Sonic 1.

Sonic 2 is a big improvement but it also sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth because the latter part of the game is pretty garbage. Whenever I play it I tend to stop at Metropolis Zone because that's where the fun stops. Not a great zone, and then it's followed by an autoscroller and Wing Fortress Zone which is okay. And then the final boss just isn't fun to fight.

There's also Aquatic Ruin Zone which is fun but only as long as you stick to the top route. Below it's a water level and I've never liked the water sections in Sonic games. They only became bearable to me in Sonic 3K. It's nice to have different routes, but not when you have to choose between fun and not fun.

But I think Sonic 3 & Knuckles is brilliant.

It took a while to get its hooks in me, but I was very satisfied with what I had played when it all wrapped up. I feel llike it just fixes everything that's wrong with the previous two classic games, and improves on everything: the graphics, music and variety.

It rolls back a bit on the speed focus of Sonic 2, but the platforming and 'puzzle' sections have a much better flow to them than they did in Sonic 1 and Sonic CD.

As for how it compares to the 'classic' Mario games, while I've played SMB1 a lot, I only really rate SMB3 and Super Mario World which are great games and which I would consider to be better than the classic Sonic games - but not Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Just my opinion, though.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 EmptyFri 10 Jul 2020 - 15:50

I agree in 2020 SNES is better due to things like easier access to its library and are we really going back playing sports games? Where in the 90's  likes of the sports games and RPG'S on Mega Drive would be a massive plus for the library.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 EmptyFri 10 Jul 2020 - 19:07

Let's be honest neither of the two of them beat the Amiga. Razz Winky Face
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 EmptyFri 10 Jul 2020 - 22:44

I've never played a Sonic game so can't comment on any of this, apart from: who is truly more Tory, Mario or Sonic? On the one hand, in a world where everyone can jump super-high Mario doesn't have any special skills, so is more of a meritocratic hero than Sonic (who got where he was by winning the genetic lottery on speed); on the other hand, Mario spends his time propping up the monarchy, while Sonic tries to save less able animals from a despot.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 EmptyFri 10 Jul 2020 - 22:57

The_Jaster wrote:
Let's be honest neither of the two of them beat the Amiga. Razz Winky Face

I saw a CD32 today but it was £200 and umm they're not great. Did see another retro system which is also a tad expensive but isn't as shite as you would think, I'm seeing if I can get some extra funds for it.

Balla do we need to bring back do you even like video games? As Sonic has some great games on Nintendo systems and if I knew this I wouldn't be recommending Super Lucky but you for you to experience some gaming history.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 EmptyFri 10 Jul 2020 - 23:01

Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Forig00.deviantart.net%2Fff2a%2Ff%2F2017%2F070%2Fc%2Fc%2Fclassic_sonic_finger_wag_gif_by_alexandergantt-db1zr5g

Remember Mas, I don't like old games.

It is kind of what Buska's talking about that's always put me off the more recent offerings though - that and not liking the character at all.  I don't see how the constant, apparently jarring changes in pace can make for a fun experience.   (Side note: asked for NSLT as a birthday gift.)
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 EmptyFri 10 Jul 2020 - 23:06

Might have been some weaker games in the series as of late on Nintendo & just in general but at the time not even going back to play the classics you would have had on GameCube Adventure 2, Heroes, All the GBA games, the DS ones and Colours on Wii those are all good games
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts   Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts - Page 23 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last game you DIDN'T finish and your thoughts
Page 23 of 38Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 30 ... 38  Next