We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What are you watching on the television?

Go down 
+35
The Cappuccino Kid
oldschool
Dead Lemon
Fastpie
Axis1500
Gogoata
SquidgyGoat
Cube
awesomedude
Buskalilly
nupkin
Jimbob
masofdas
Athrun888
Treesmurf
SuperPaperLink
Tokyo_Sonata
Vidofnir
Balladeer
NintenDUCK
Silver light
Rum
JayMoyles
ScottGamer17
Admin
shanks
spacemanDOUG
mandlecreed
Crumpy Andy
Dusty Knackers
beemoh
ZeroJones
The_Jaster
Kezz182
Fancy Fancy
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you watching on the television?   What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 EmptyMon 29 Apr 2013 - 21:53

I miss the overarching stories they used to have. They've really burnt out of late.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching on the television?   What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 EmptyFri 3 May 2013 - 13:20

Strange, I thought the Russel stories were the poor ones, I didn't even finish series four actually because by that point I had just had it. And I liked the last episode personally. The ending could have been done better, but it is clear that the real ramifications of this episode are going to come about later.

Anyhow, I've just finished my Majin Buu saga marathon of Dragon Ball Z. Hopefully Kai trims the saga down a fair bit, it would be a fair bit better if they trimmed off some of the fluff that goes on.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching on the television?   What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 EmptyFri 3 May 2013 - 13:27

I didn't like T. Davies' stories towards the end, but that doesn't mean that multi-episode stories and overarching plots (to be fair, it does look like there's one of those going on - time will tell if the payoff is worth it) are bad ideas. T. Davies seemed to be trying too hard with the emotions and the "bung every character met so far into the mix".

Anyway, the last two have been pretty all right. (Just watched last week's episode: the ones involving the TARDIS heavily are some of the best.) I liked the Ice Warrior one, as well. But there hasn't been one that really made me sit up and take notice for a while. Remember Neil Gaiman's episode? Just brilliant. Something more like that, or "Blink", would be nice.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching on the television?   What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 EmptyFri 3 May 2013 - 14:40

Athrun888 wrote:
Strange, I thought the Russel stories were the poor ones, I didn't even finish series four actually because by that point I had just had it. And I liked the last episode personally. The ending could have been done better, but it is clear that the real ramifications of this episode are going to come about later.

Anyhow, I've just finished my Majin Buu saga marathon of Dragon Ball Z. Hopefully Kai trims the saga down a fair bit, it would be a fair bit better if they trimmed off some of the fluff that goes on.

Yeah Kai trims it so much it ends at the Cell Saga
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching on the television?   What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 EmptyFri 3 May 2013 - 16:46

To be fair Balla series five did have a overall story like the Russel series (Pandorica's box) and series six continued several arcs from series five, and we've still got an unresolved one in the form of "the question that must never be asked". Personally I think it's just been this series that has been light on a major arc.

shanks wrote:
Yeah Kai trims it so much it ends at the Cell Saga

Apparently they are doing the Buu saga now, both Kyle Hebert and Sean Schemmel have said they're reprising their roles for it. I'll see if I can dig up where I heard the info.

Ah here we are, I knew I'd seen it somewhere. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-04-24/kyle-herbert-sean-schemmel-returning-in-dragon-ball-z-kai-buu-saga-dub
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching on the television?   What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 EmptyFri 3 May 2013 - 17:33

I don't recall Russell T. Davies making his overarching plots as overt as Moffat does. I'm thinking in particular about The Master in series 3 - it was all subtle hints and references dotted about seemingly unconnected stories whereas Moffat has his stories connected (Amy's baby, immortal Clara etc.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching on the television?   What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 EmptyFri 3 May 2013 - 22:25

That question that should never be asked will be the story of season 7s finale
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching on the television?   What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 EmptySat 4 May 2013 - 0:51

I don't think they'll reveal his name. It'll be the plot point of the episode, but it won't - and shouldn't - be revealed.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching on the television?   What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 EmptySat 4 May 2013 - 10:59

JayMoyles wrote:
I don't think they'll reveal his name. It'll be the plot point of the episode, but it won't - and shouldn't - be revealed.
Oh, man, I agree with this so much. I remember the Doctor Who Confidential after The Silence In The Library (or the other part of that) where they showed Steven Moffat enthusing about the Doctor's name being the question in the show's title and he was dead keen on it. Immediately after they showed Russell saying he didn't think it should ever be done - any revelation would not be satisfying to most people.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching on the television?   What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 EmptySat 4 May 2013 - 14:10

I'll laugh if his name ends up being John Smith. The best way to hide your biggest secrets is in plain sight after all!

But yes, I also agree there is no chance we will learn his name, regardless of what happens in the finale this year.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching on the television?   What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 EmptySat 4 May 2013 - 15:53

It's stupid in my book. The show is named Doctor Who because it's a cute enough joke that they can throw in every season - he's called the Doctor, and we as humans expect a surname to follow that. It's not some grand decade-spanning question.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching on the television?   What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 EmptySun 5 May 2013 - 12:25

Well that episode was a strange one. I feel it stopped being very cohesive at around the midway point honestly despite starting really strong and very creepy. Oh well, Cybermen returning next week in an episode that doesn't look like it's comedy oriented has me pumped. It's been too long since I've seen the Cybermen in a serous episode.

And as far as the name goes it is not all that rare to see power in the name of something in fiction. Like knowing a true name can give you power over the subject and so on. I do think the plotline is worth exploring, sure it was a corny joke, but the series has evolved from simply being a corny and mildly creepy sci-fi show and it would be interesting to see why the Doctor keeps his name hidden. Moffat has already been playing around with it a bit actually with the whole the Doctor becoming too big a threat to be ignored, so I suspect the name will play in to that theme more.
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching on the television?   What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 EmptySun 5 May 2013 - 15:02

Didn't go much on the episode to be honest it was just another I had on in the background while playing the 3DS again
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching on the television?   What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 EmptySun 5 May 2013 - 15:04

Really? I was gripped, for the first time in a while! Very happy with that. Next one doesn't look so good, due to children in a starring role. (EDIT: See below. May be okay after all...)

Last edited by Balladeer on Sun 5 May 2013 - 15:21; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching on the television?   What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 EmptySun 5 May 2013 - 15:05

I agree with Balladeer, first one I've properly enjoyed watching in ages.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching on the television?   What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 EmptySun 5 May 2013 - 15:18

It helps, I think, that they had some really good characters to play with; although this was Jenny's first shot at proper development, Vastra and Strax have always been good. And the blind lady was superb as well.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed something:

THE NEXT EPISODE'S WRITTEN BY NEIL GAIMAN!

Dance Dance Dance Dance
Back to top Go down
nupkin
Stability Update
nupkin

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching on the television?   What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 EmptySun 5 May 2013 - 21:24

Sorry to veer away from the Doctor Who theme, but sticking with fantasy, do we have any Game of Thrones aficionados? Only because I watched the first series (originally because I was going to a Game of Thrones party, then I started enjoying it on its own merits) and wonder if it's worth investing in the second and third serieseses? Also has anyone read the books and seen the series, and how do they compare?
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching on the television?   What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 EmptySun 5 May 2013 - 22:27

nupkin wrote:
Sorry to veer away from the Doctor Who theme, but sticking with fantasy, do we have any Game of Thrones aficionados? Only because I watched the first series (originally because I was going to a Game of Thrones party, then I started enjoying it on its own merits) and wonder if it's worth investing in the second and third serieseses? Also has anyone read the books and seen the series, and how do they compare?

My time to shine.

I LOVE Game of Thrones. Genuinely one of the best TV shows around. The second series is fantastic - the climax of the series rivals any battle scene from Lord of the Rings in my eyes - and the third so far has been even better. I've read the books and whilst the book and show is slowly becoming different in some smaller plot points, on the whole they've been very true to the novels. I'd recommend a read of the books though - the level of detail is stellar. They're really compelling books, and seeing them unfold on screen is a delight unto itself. Although, if you were to read the books, I'd hold off on reading them until seeing the ending of series 3. The ending shouldn't be spoiled before seeing it on screen if you've already began watching. Series 3 and 4 are both based off the third book in the series, which is just insane in regards to the amount of amazing things that happen. Ahhh I could go on about it for hours!
Back to top Go down
SuperPaperLink
Stability Update
SuperPaperLink

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching on the television?   What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 EmptyMon 6 May 2013 - 23:13

I've read the books; utterly fantastic, haven't watched the shows yet really, worth a go from the looks of it though.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: KNIGHTMARE   What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 EmptyFri 10 May 2013 - 21:21

GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS (well, anyone in the UK about my age)

Knightmare.

Challenge.
(Sky146-Freeview46-Virgin139)

Tonight.

22:30
(or 11:30 tomorrow)

What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 Knightmare_treguard
THIS WILL NOT BE AS GOOD AS YOU REMEMBER IT
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching on the television?   What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 EmptySat 11 May 2013 - 9:33

My girlfriend's got me into The Chase. It's an ace show, with the added bonus that I saw Paul Sinha's set in Edinburgh just before he was offered a role on the show!

In other news, the recent run of Futurama has been awful. Nothing to match the heights of previous seasons - yet. Saw The Crimson Horror on Thursday - it was solid, particularly the first moment where you saw The Doctor (creepy!). All felt a little half-baked by the end, though. Looking forward to tonight's!
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching on the television?   What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 EmptySat 11 May 2013 - 10:26

The Chase is such a great quiz show, love it when a question sends Bradley Walsh into a fit of laughter.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching on the television?   What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 EmptySat 11 May 2013 - 11:53

I'm reading through the Song of Ice and Fire books, haven't watched any of the show yet. My thinking is that when I run out of books to read, the show will be there to quench my thirst.

The_Jaster wrote:
The Chase is such a great quiz show, love it when a question sends Bradley Walsh into a fit of laughter.

Ha! Yes! Fanny Shmeller, anyone?
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching on the television?   What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 EmptySat 11 May 2013 - 13:53

Only Connect's back on Monday!

*silence*
Back to top Go down
SuperPaperLink
Stability Update
SuperPaperLink

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching on the television?   What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 EmptySat 11 May 2013 - 15:38

The_Jaster wrote:

Unreal show, keeps the family entertained on weekdays.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching on the television?   What are you watching on the television? - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

What are you watching on the television?
Page 6 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next