We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Will U remember me?

Go down 
+9
gjones
Jimbob
Muss
Buskalilly
The_Jaster
Balladeer
ZeroJones
The Cappuccino Kid
masofdas
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Will U remember me? Empty
PostSubject: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? EmptyMon 26 Dec 2016 - 17:00

This is another thread that comes from chat about games at work, mainly with EofGiz the day after Metacrtic posted scores of the year.

We talked about how they decide what's exclusive, so no Forza Horizon 3 even though its a Xbox Anywhere title but as PC sites reviewed it the game has PC reviews and same goes for Dragon Quest Builders as some reviewed on PS4 and others VITA.

That when they say the PS4 had 13 Good "75+" exclusives in 2016 they mean games only on the PS4.

Now looking back these are the Wii U exclusive rated 75+:

New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
ZombiU, Since been ported to other systems
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013

Super Mario 3D World
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, A HD version of a GameCube game
Pikmin 3
LEGO City Undercover, Getting port to other systems including the Switch
The Wonderful 101
New Super Luigi U
Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party

Super SMASH Bros for Wii U, Also on 3DS and rumoured their will be a Switch version
Bayonetta 2
Mario Kart 8, Directors Cut looks likely for the Switch
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones, Since been ported to other systems
Art of Balance, Since been ported to PS4
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Pushmo World
Hyrule Warriors, Since come to 3DS

Super Mario Maker, Now on 3DS and Switch version rumoured
Gunman Clive HD Collection, HD versions of 3DS games
Xenoblade Chronicles X
FAST Racing NEO
Runbow, Now on 3DS
Art Academy: Atelier
Splatoon, Directors Cut on Switch looks likely
Affordable Space Adventures
Yoshi's Woolly World, Coming to 3DS

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD, A HD version of a GameCube/Wii game
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Pokken Tournament, Could we see a Switch version with the new fighters?
Paper Mario: Color Splash

Now games we like is subjective but Metacritic tries to be objective by saying this game is the game of the year as it was the highest score and this is the stats etc that you may want to bring up other games not on this list which you think are great Wii U games.

I like my Wii U, its not the best and I don' think I will ever look back at it like I do some consoles. That's the thing take the Dreamcast, I love it as you know but I remember Cappa talking about all its best games are elsewhere which they are but to me they feel best on the DC and take the Cube its fondly remembered and people have talked about how we will look back at the Wii U as we do with the Cube.

The thing is most of the Cubes best games are still stuck on the GameCube, from the list of great Wii U games 15 of are on / or going to be on other systems and likes of Splatoon feels like what Wii U game should be but I can't see Nintendo messing up the Directors Cut and it will likely be better on the Switch.

I can't see myself looking back on the Wii U that fondly as its about the games and even things like the Jaguar I'm still fond of due to the best version of AVP and the utter cheesy crap on it that make the system special.

I don't know what is going to make the Wii U really special to look back on when I'm playing MK8 at work on the Switch.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? EmptyMon 26 Dec 2016 - 18:09

Nah, I'll not really remember it, or at least I'll not remember it like the N64, GameCube and Wii. I brought my Wii U down to my parents house for Christmas with the intention of packing it away in its box and keeping it there rather than in my flat. Truth be told, if I could get access to all of my downloadables elsewhere I'd likely trade the Wii U in. I punted a dozen games last week and I'm going to shift more after the New Year. I'm done with the Wii U.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? EmptyMon 26 Dec 2016 - 18:27

It's no secret that I've not been a fan of the Wii U. I'm actually looking forward to it being replaced, whereas I really didn't want the Wii to go (even though it sort of already had). On the Wii, WiiWare titles were the icing on the gaming cake; on the Wii U, the eShop has carried the console more than once, and that for long periods. Let's get it gone.

Having just trashed the machine, I will remember Runbow, Mario Kart 8, Batman: Arkham City: Armoured Edition, LEGO City Undercover, Child Of Light, Super Mario 3D World (more non-sports games where you can play as Princesses, please) and Paper Mario: Color Splash.

DIGRESSION ALERT: Having to type 'color' on my phone brings up the suggestion 'colorectal'. No Pale
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? EmptyMon 26 Dec 2016 - 22:00

YES!  Mostly as a failure, but I'll also remember it as the Nintendo console where:
  • They made a controller I really loved... and then scrapped it, kinda;
  • Nintendo made DLC really work;
  • Nintendo perfected Mario Kart... well, the racing side of the game;
  • Nintendo gave me a reason to buy a cute fluffy Yoshi (not that I've ever needed one);
  • 8-PLAYER SMASH;
  • I got my parents to play a game of multiplayer Metroid (and Zelda) with me;
  • I explored the biggest and most beautiful world I've ever explored in games;
  • 'Black Betty' became a feasible platforming level;
  • I heard the best music in gaming, full stop;
  • Nintendo came up with the best and most artistic social network ever.

Honestly, I remember every Nintendo machine I've played.  The Wii U won't get to the top of my best consoles lists, but that doesn't mean it deserves to be shat on as much as people, developers, sales, and eventually Nintendo did.

Last edited by Balladeer on Mon 26 Dec 2016 - 22:07; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/ Online
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? EmptyMon 26 Dec 2016 - 22:06

@Cappa same I've got about 50 games downloaded on my Wii U and of course the Zeldas.

Yeah the Wii U did some great things and we got some good games like Mario Kart 8 but if the Switch continues the good things about the Wii U along with the games from the U.

I think we will just look back at as more of something Nintendo learned from then anything.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? EmptyMon 26 Dec 2016 - 22:29

Maybe I put the boot in just a bit too much earlier. I still believe that it was always destined to struggle, but there was the odd bit of hope and some moments of joy. Balladeer mentioned a few of the best bits already - I forgot about Black Betty btw! - but I've got a few other highlights to, um, highlight.

• That Big Blue theme for Mario Kart 8. I've had that tune in my head for almost two years now. Maybe the best gaming tube ever...?
• NES Remix coming out of absolutely nowhere during a Nintendo Direct and being playable right away. I'm completely scunnered with NEStalgia now, but that was quality.
• The Yoshi and Zelda DLC in Sonic Lost World. Really smartly done - a shame that more people didn't take notice.
• The script for Lego City Undercover and the vocal performance for Frank Honey. The game just about rescued the Wii U in its first six months.
• Captain Toad Treasure Tracker being rush-released and coming out on Boxing Day instead of weeks later. A perfect holiday game if there ever was one.
• That first Splatoon trailer, and then eventually seeing how the game blossomed over time. Same goes for Super Mario Maker and Smash - they're outstanding value at £30 each.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? EmptyMon 26 Dec 2016 - 22:35

Be interesting to come back to this in a years time when we've had these experiences again on the Switch, on our feelings on the Wii U.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? EmptyMon 26 Dec 2016 - 22:52

Monster hunter 3 ultimate seems to be missing from your metacritic list, out in 2013 & sits at a score of 82. (Perhaps there's others that have been missed but I can't be arsed to check)
----

Balla pretty much covers how I feel, disregarding the poor sales (because who actually cares about that pish?) it's one true failing was not fully taking advantage of the 2 screen experience but the games that did I will always remember. Games such as zombie U, star fox zero, affordable space adventures, pikmin 3 & mario maker.

It also gave us absolute classics like shovel Knight & Splatoon, so, yeah I will remember it & the memories are fun ones. Smile

[Side note on Switch splatoon: I still have doubts over how well it'll work without a second screen. ]
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? EmptyMon 26 Dec 2016 - 23:04

Not my list it's Metacritics, did MH3U also come to 3DS? If it did that's why it's not on the list like this year Forza Horizon 3 not being on the Xbox One list because it's also on PC.

And why Shovel Knight isn't either as I guess it came to other platforms in the same year.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? EmptyTue 27 Dec 2016 - 3:39

Relax dude I said it was metacritics list Laughing

Aye MH3U was on 3ds & SK came to 3ds and PC so that clears that up - Anyhow both are still great games that will make me remember the wii U.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? EmptyTue 27 Dec 2016 - 9:04

Glad to see this thread getting a bit more optimistic! Grin

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
• That Big Blue theme for Mario Kart 8. I've had that tune in my head for almost two years now. Maybe the best gaming tube ever...?

That could almost be its own thread. Competitors for my mind included MKWii's Koopa Cape, a couple of the F-Zero GX tracks, and Tall Trunk Galaxy's tree slide.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? EmptyTue 27 Dec 2016 - 9:45

@Jas certainly are good games and the other good games like MK8, Splatoon etc all seem to be on another system or coming to Switch.

Now I know for Balla then yeah SK will always be a Wii U game unless it gets ported to Switch but yourself Jas let's say you trade in the Wii U towards a Switch then what will you not be able to play.

The Wii U did other good things but for me it comes down to the gamss and if you do the maths over half of the Wii U great exclusives which are left are coming elsewhere.

All I think I'm going to remember when we look back on the Wii U for the 10th anniversary be remember when we played Mario Kart 8 on Wii U that was good but dam didn't they improve it on the Switch with those new tracks, characters and a proper battle mode.

I honestly think even though likes of W101 may get stuck on the Wii U that the system will be utterly irrelevant in 5 years time as system worth playing games on.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? EmptyTue 27 Dec 2016 - 14:35

@mas

It also comes down to the games for me too and I'm honestly not fussed if most of them were on other systems (unless its made by the company that creates the hardware true exclusives are rare these days) or are possibly coming to switch, I played them on the wii U first and like I said in my earlier post when I look back at the wii U I'll have fun memories.

As for the possible MK8 and splatoon switch remasters if they are not significantly different enough from the wii U games then I can easily give them a miss.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? EmptyTue 27 Dec 2016 - 14:40

Sure that's where we differ as I just see Shovel Knight as a good game not a good Wii U game or anything and any memories I'll have for it will be about the game not the Wii U.

I have seen you say that the rumored Switch line up seems a bit lame due to all the remasters but does seems Nintendo are taking what's good from the Wii U and then likely forget about it.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? EmptyTue 27 Dec 2016 - 15:49

I for one will definitely have fond memories of times I spent with the Wii U:
  • Pikmin 3
  • Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2
  • Multiplayer memories on Mario Kart and Nintendoland and Spin the Bottle and even Made in Wario
  • My first experience of an HD games machine.
  • My first real online multiplayer obsessions, with Splatoon and Pokken.

I'm sure there are more. Will it live on as my favourite console of all time? Of course not, it never could. I'm not at the right age or the right time in my life to build that much attachment to, or spend that much time with, a toy. Had I got my Wii U when I was 16, it probably woud be my favourite machine of all time. There were some phenomenal games, which I'm sure would only be improved by having more time to spend with them.

masofdas wrote:

Sure that's where we differ as I just see Shovel Knight as a good game not a good Wii U game or anything and any memories I'll have for it will be about the game not the Wii U.

I'd think hope we should all feel a bit of this, not because the Wii U was bad but because we're growing up a little, and letting go of fanboyish and unhealthy attachments to companies and devices, and just enjoying the art for what it is.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? EmptyTue 27 Dec 2016 - 18:21

I do have fond memories of the Wii U, even if I've been tempted to trade it in for a very long time and even though I didn't get a heck of a lot of gaming mileage out of it.

Two absolute stunners however were Mario Kart and Splatoon:

I have many fond memories and many more still lost memories of drunk Kart. The varying rules we played by were excellent. Drinking at the end of each lap for what position you were in, having wii motes get chucked about the room because we couldn't be bothered to sensibly rearrange ourselves when tagging in your teammate, the hilarity of watching people who were hopelessly inept at the game get their decent teammate slaughtered on booze. And, even without the social lube, it's an absolute masterpiece of a game. Your nan, a baby, a teenage edgelord, there's literally something there for anyone and everyone to enjoy.

Splatoon was a really fun online shooter, first I'd got into since I used to play TF2 back in the day. I never felt it lacked content, and was happy when they kept adding more. I also really appreciated how my favorite game mode, turf wars, was held out of ranked. Stopped me from ever getting all sour grapes about a loss or string of losses where games like Overwatch will occasionally bring out that frustration. Splatoon was the perfect casual shooty banger.

What I'll miss the most about the Wii U though is the tablet controller. A problem for many, I always found it surprisingly comfortable. While developers rarely made the most out of it, I can't stress enough how great it was to be able to use Netflix on. Slipping towards sleep while watching something on the TV, instead of trying to power through or admit defeat, the plucky tablet enabled me to lie down and carry on watching the show right in front of my face. Such a convenient thing, even if it did enable the 'just one more episode' mentality.

Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? EmptyTue 27 Dec 2016 - 22:10

I actually thought you already had sold your Wii U!
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? EmptyWed 28 Dec 2016 - 17:58

I asked about the trade in price at the local but wasn't too impressed. Was going to ebay it but never got around to getting the right packaging that'd ensure the tablet definitely didn't get damaged in transit. All of that means it's now in the roof and has been for a good while, might look into selling it again now the Switch is on the way.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? EmptyThu 29 Dec 2016 - 20:44

Interesting range of comments here folks! If I think about the WiiU, I don't always think of it as a failure. It may be, being a growed-up-man, I have less time anyway, so the gap between game releases has been less of an issue. But if I didn't have A.N.Other games machine, I may have felt differently.

As for a list of key memories, this might get a bit long:
  • Actually playing multiplayer Mario and enjoying it with Super Mario 3D World
  • Memorable indie darlings that weren't just Walking Simulators (Knytt Underground / Affordable Space Adventures)
  • DLC that goes way beyond merely worthwhile (Mario Kart Cool
  • Toadette is just the cutest
  • No - wait - Woolly Poochy is just the cutest
  • The Splatoon Theme
  • Nintendo know how to tidy up old games (the two Zeldas)
  • But also that Nintendo can't always make new versions of their game franchises (NSMBU, Starfox 0, Yoshi's Woolly World)
  • Ah man, someone's watching the TV - OH WAIT I CAN JUST USE THE PAD! Seriously, this has probably been a big influence on the Switch

There were annoying things to be sure, but there are still mostly positive memories for me; I've certainly had grief from other games elsewhere during this time.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? EmptyThu 23 Nov 2017 - 14:24

I think this is best thread for this as last night I sent Andy a message saying the amount of physical games the Wii U has got in Europe and it might be useful for the vote in some way regarding retail vote or a random fact, but I was thinking about the number this morning and I don't want vote thread to be derailed by negativity and it should be about celebrating the Wii U.

The number of retail games the Wii U will have by the end of 2017 will be 162 over 5 years which means we got 32.4 games a year for Wii U. I know it shouldn't be quantity of quality for a console but by end of the year the Switch should have 60 odd games already and if you look at the likes of the N64, Saturn or Dreamcast they all got a good few hundred games.

I think the numbers of games or lack off, shows more then the install-base of how badly the Wii U has done but does make it a great console to collect for.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? EmptyThu 23 Nov 2017 - 19:23

I'd guess that at least twenty of those games were versions of Just Dance, LEGO or Skylanders. Nothing against those games, but it's not exactly like the Wii U had the quality to compensate for it's lack of quantity. There's less than thirty retail games that are worth having, in my opinion, and even a lot of those are now out elsewhere. Bayonetta 2, Super Mario 3D World and Pikmin 3 are the only must-own Wii U games that you must own on Wii U, if that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? EmptyThu 23 Nov 2017 - 19:35

Yeah looking it's 23 of those combined which is almost 15% of all games on the Wii U. Yeah that makes sense and can go from most system, own a Xbox you need to Halo etc just a shame that list is so small now on the Switch and may get smaller if the few must haves get ports or in case of Splatoon a sequel.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? EmptyThu 23 Nov 2017 - 20:01

Eh. It was still the birthplace of MK8, even if you can get it better elsewhere. And SSBU remains a must-have until SSB5.

The Wii U was a failure, but it wasn't a 'Jesus Christ what has Nintendo done on the carpet, BAD BOY, OUTSIDE NOW, Meryl you get the plastic sheets I'll get the exorcist' bad.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? EmptyThu 23 Nov 2017 - 20:56

Nintendo made a machine and they did not know how to program for it. I've never experienced a console like it and I hope that I never will again. I've had enough of my Wii U but, paradoxically, need to beat most of my remaining games for it before their value dwindles to nothing.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? EmptyThu 23 Nov 2017 - 20:58

I doubt they wil part from the 3rd party stuff as it's still Nintendo games and with such a smaller library collectors will love it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? Empty

Back to top Go down

Will U remember me?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GNamer Forum :: GNamer Forum :: Nintendo Gen. VIII Discussion (and Mobile)-
Jump to: