We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Will U remember me?

Go down 
+9
gjones
Jimbob
Muss
Buskalilly
The_Jaster
Balladeer
ZeroJones
The Cappuccino Kid
masofdas
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Will U remember me? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? - Page 3 EmptyThu 30 Nov 2017 - 22:09

I still remember GAME opening at midnight for me and one other guy as we were the only ones that had it preordered along with a few bits. I was well excited to have a more of a normal console experience and an HD system after the Wii but it didn't turn out to be that, thankfully the Switch has made up for the Wii U already and likely will the Wii as well.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? - Page 3 EmptyThu 30 Nov 2017 - 23:11

Not sure the Wii, the second most successful home console in history, needed making up for . . .

I remember getting my Wii U and Nintendoland (the shop didn't get NSMBU or Zombi U until a few days later). It was my first HD console, and I had a suite of Wii Remotes and games, so I had an enjoyable enough launch. I absolutely loved the Wii, I'd spent an outrageous amount of time on that machine and it had some of my favourite games of all time. It meant the system transfer was actually nice and emotional for me; it also meant the machine was pretty underwhelming overall. I have some great gaming memories on the Wii U, but very few of them were unique to that machine or really made use of what it had.

I think the Wii U was a necessary stepping stone towards the Switch, and I'm grateful for the good times I had with it. That said, the gulf between the two systems is pretty apparent already and in five years time, when we're looking back on that machine, the conversation is going to be very different. I could already easily put together a top five, if not a top ten, best games of all time from the Nintendo Switch's library.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? - Page 3 EmptyThu 30 Nov 2017 - 23:13

BotW, SMO (when you play it), MK8D, ...?

But yes, I agree that the Switch has almost outstripped the Wii U's library already.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? - Page 3 EmptyThu 30 Nov 2017 - 23:17

I was thinking about that when I was typing up my Wii U top ten for andyman's thread. Odyssey, Sonic Mania, Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS and Splatoon 2 would have definitely made my Wii U top ten. Even something like Rabbids Kingdom Battle - a type of game that I don't usually like - would have been in with a shout.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? - Page 3 EmptyThu 30 Nov 2017 - 23:19

The Balls Man wrote:
BotW, SMO (when you play it), MK8D, ...?

MHXX, Spla2n, ARMS and Shovel Knight are big hitters for me personally. Xenoblade and Skyrim have a lot of potential, DOOM's up there if you like singleplayer shooting. I'm not saying it's the definitive top ten, or even my top ten, but there are great games on the machine which wouldn't look out of place in that conversation and we're only nine months in. At this point in the Wii U's life, Pikmin 3 was the only game worth giving any long-time thought. Since then, other than multiplatform games, the best its done has been the Bayonettas, Bumpie's Party and maybe 3D World.

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
Even something like Rabbids Kingdom Battle - a type of game that I don't usually like - would have been in with a shout.

Same. I couldn't get into it on Switch, but if that had come out on Wii U in those dry, dry months I would have given it days of my life.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? - Page 3 EmptyThu 30 Nov 2017 - 23:27

My Switch library's actually fairly small: the number of games I've given decent time to, even smaller.  Also, there's a three-game overlap between my Switch and Wii U top tens (Severed, BotW, and MK8(D)).  So actually at this stage, much of my Wii U top ten wouldn't change if I combined the two, bar some orderings.  

That's more due to my pickiness and lack of time, though, than it is the Switch's lack of quality outings.  And I agree that XCX and Skyrim, as well as potentially Rocket League, are ones for the near future.  If you compare it to the Wii U at the same stage in its life, the difference is laughable.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? - Page 3 EmptyThu 30 Nov 2017 - 23:33

My time on Wii U Launch Day - or WULD, if you prefer - was spent at work. Aww! When I got to saunter up to GAME, I got the machine with Nintendo Land, NSMBU and Batman: Arkham City - Armoured Edition. Different enough games to keep me going for a spell. I didn't even transfer my Wii data over for months - Jo had moved in by then, so we 'downsized' to one console under the TV.

As for Switch + 9 months vs. Wii U + 60 months: there's no contest, as y'all are saying. The Switch is right on top and no mistake.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? - Page 3 EmptyFri 1 Dec 2017 - 16:27

Drunkalilly wrote:
Not sure the Wii, the second most successful home console in history, needed making up for . . .

The most popular thing isn't always the best (Brexit etc) as I was playing a HD console for a year before I had a Wii and I never got on with a Wiimote, that to me I always wanted a GameCube 2 basically but in HD.

The Wii U was almost that and could have been.

This is why I'm so pleased with the Switch as how I play which is mainly docked is giving me what I wanted for a decade as you all say we could come up with a Top 10 tomorrow and it would be a banger.

Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? - Page 3 EmptyFri 1 Dec 2017 - 19:15

mas wrote:
This is why I'm so pleased with the Switch as how I play which is mainly docked is giving me what I wanted for a decade as you all say we could come up with a Top 10 tomorrow and it would be a banger.

The Switch is popular though so it's basically the brexit of consoles. Winky Face
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? - Page 3 EmptyFri 1 Dec 2017 - 19:24

Its the will of the people mate. Get on board.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? - Page 3 EmptyFri 1 Dec 2017 - 19:59

I didn't vote Nexit for this! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? - Page 3 EmptyFri 1 Dec 2017 - 22:37

NXit.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? - Page 3 EmptyFri 1 Dec 2017 - 23:10

...Damn. Hats off to you, Mr. Cappa. Laughing
Back to top Go down
EofGizmo
FMK Tagline
EofGizmo

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? - Page 3 EmptyWed 20 Jun 2018 - 17:27

I know im massively late to this thread but just read it through and wanna chuck my ten pence in!

I hated the wii due to just not getting comfortable with the wiimote and only having enough room/money for one console whilst I was at Uni. For me the Wii U was full of hope at launch and although it didn't do everything I wanted its still arguably my second favourite Nintendo home console (behind the gamecube but its close)

I think I'm going to look back on it as the console that got me back into Nintendo. I loved the way Nintendo presented us with content via the directs, it was my first exposure to the Virtual Console, the miiverse functionality was used heavily between my housemates and I, off tv play was a revelation, the pro controller was dope, the wii backwards compatibility was great and the first party line up was unbelievably good.

Sure, no Animal Crossing, Metroid and F Zero is disappointing but the introduction of Splatoon, Mario Maker, the Warriors series and the further emergence of Xenoblade makes up a little for me.

I'm still playing through stuff I missed on it to this day and tbh I play it a lot more than my Switch!

I know this will change by mid next year (pokemon, smash and Fire Emblem will take over) but I think the Wii U will be missed a lot more as the years go on.
Back to top Go down
Raxicori
Ejected into the Lava
Raxicori

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? - Page 3 EmptyThu 21 Jun 2018 - 10:43

Personally Im going to have very fond memories of the Wii U. I had been a Nintendo kid and then an Xbox man but when Microsoft showed off the One it left a really bad taste in my mouth. It wasnt just the shambolic online stuff and Kinect, it was the fact it was the same games again just with a different number on the end. Halo 5, Gears 4, Forza 7, it was just the same game but slightly prettier. The Wii U was taking a lot of flak but being a "fisher price" console but the games looked genuinely different to what the others were doing, the Wii had been a bit of a non event for me, my brother had one and I played a bit but never got stuck in so it had been a good few years since I owned a Nintendo home console.

I got the Wii U a little over a year into its life and I have loved every minute of owning it, the game selection might not be huge but the quality is unquestionable. Nintendos first party output is always top class but theres also stuff like Affordable Space Adventures and Fast Racing Neo that went realtively unheralded but were great little games.

I think as people look back there will be a fondness for the forgotten step child of the Wii, it was marketed terribly, so badly people didnt even know it existed but theres no doubting the quality of the titles available. It gave the world Breath of the Wild (yes it came to Switch but the sheikah slate is obviously a Wii U gamepad that they stripped functionality from to port the game the Switch), and that alone should see it remembered for a long time to come.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? - Page 3 EmptyThu 21 Jun 2018 - 12:24

Those are two fair posts. Every Nintendo machine apart from the Virtual Boy has been remembered with some degree of fondness, and the Wii U will surely join that pantheon. I do think that the carrying over of most games to the Switch will diminish its impact, though; and I think most people will remember BotW as a Switch game, same as most people remember Twilight Princess as a Wii game.

EofGizmo wrote:
Sure, no Animal Crossing, Metroid and F Zero is disappointing...

Not satisfied with amiibo Festival? Razz
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? - Page 3 EmptyThu 21 Jun 2018 - 12:36

I and you were talking the other day about it EofGiz on the way home, you brought up a video you watched which was the Top 10 Wii U games of 2014 and now half of those games are on Switch, which to me makes the Wii U legacy less impactful.

That's the thing as I've had a Switch from day one and I've bought a few ports BotW as it was the big launch game, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe because it was the first big online game for the system and Hyrule Warriors as half the content was on a 3DS version that I found wasn't playable (Also like BotW because Zelda).

I'm however less enamoured with the Switch because I've owned a Wii U since it launched that I don't care as much about Bayo 2, SMASHU, DKCTF as over half the Switch audience would because they didn't play a Wii U.

Which is the weird place as I've been playing a lot of Xbox One and the exclusives, I think we can all agree it has less than other systems but when you go into a system after it is on the market for 5 years you have loads to play.

Now if you were to go get a Wii U now you'd have so many good games to play the thing is you could just go get a Switch to get those games bar a dozen or so.
Back to top Go down
EofGizmo
FMK Tagline
EofGizmo

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? - Page 3 EmptyThu 21 Jun 2018 - 12:38

Balla don't remind me of such repressed anger! The animal crossing plaza thing had more gameplay 😂
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? - Page 3 EmptyThu 21 Jun 2018 - 12:43

I missed your post Balla, must have gone up whilst I was typing mine. Don't diss the Virtual Boy, it has one if not best Wario games.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? - Page 3 EmptyThu 21 Jun 2018 - 12:48

I'm willing to believe that. In that case, every Nintendo machine is remembered somewhat fondly! Not to mention:

Will U remember me? - Page 3 All-hail-the-virtual-boy-nintendo-dancing-Tomodachi-Life-13972509073

Eof, now you know how I feel about Colour Splash. Razz
Back to top Go down
EofGizmo
FMK Tagline
EofGizmo

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? - Page 3 EmptyThu 21 Jun 2018 - 12:59

Haha colour Splash isn't close amiibo festival levels of bastardy for me! I am surprised how much I'm genuinely enjoying colour Splash. Its so close to being at TTYD's level, just needs more rpg
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? - Page 3 EmptyFri 22 Jun 2018 - 14:07

I'm surprised how often I hear about how good Colour Splash is, even just a few days ago I seen someone mention it and how anyone with a Wii U "must" play it. Don't think I've ever seen it at a reasonable price to take the chance though.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
EofGizmo
FMK Tagline
EofGizmo

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? - Page 3 EmptyFri 22 Jun 2018 - 20:31

Its one of those games I can see holding value unless its ported to Switch!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? - Page 3 EmptyFri 22 Jun 2018 - 21:35

I've suddenly seen loads of people playing it and everyone seems to be loving it.

Last edited by masofdas on Sat 23 Jun 2018 - 12:14; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? - Page 3 EmptySat 23 Jun 2018 - 12:12

Will U remember me? - Page 3 Tenor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will U remember me?   Will U remember me? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Will U remember me?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next