We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)

Go down 
+7
Buskalilly
masofdas
The_Jaster
The Cappuccino Kid
JayMoyles
Rum
Balladeer
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) - Page 3 EmptyMon 14 Oct 2019 - 15:23

Whoops, looks like youse forgot to multiply Pocket Card Jockey's points by a hundred.

Also, is it just me who firstly thinks of the 3DS as a SEGA AGES machine these days? Even the shite games are class 👌
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) - Page 3 EmptyMon 14 Oct 2019 - 16:13

For me, it's just a Pokemon machine now. I've been chipping away at beating one from each generation so I can have a proper stab at the Pokedex when Pokemon Home launches.

Before that, it was my Phoenix Wright and Monster Hunter machine. But I've completed all the Ace Attorneys, and my buttons don't respond like they used to so all my MonHan is on Switch. Still, between those and the Resi games that we got, Capcom did support the 3DS pretty bloody well, huh?

The only other thing I see myself using it for any time soon is when I play Last Window over Christmas.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) - Page 3 EmptyMon 14 Oct 2019 - 19:55

They did. It makes me all the more bitter about their Switch support, or lack thereof.

Jimbob wrote:
Well done everyone - that is a good list. I don't have to feel guilty for not contributing now!

As I've said elsewhere, the points were a distraction. The discussion around the lists is the real point of the thread - hence Shanks' presence. Would love to see your list if you fancy contributing one!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) - Page 3 EmptyMon 14 Oct 2019 - 20:30

I really should turn my 3ds into a Phoenix Wright machine......the issue is finding time to fit it in with all the other games I have on my still to play list.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) - Page 3 EmptyMon 14 Oct 2019 - 20:38

Mine is now a dust collector and a Zelda machine as I have a Zelda collection which the 3DS has a few.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) - Page 3 EmptyMon 14 Oct 2019 - 21:01

The_Jaster wrote:
I really should turn my 3ds into a Phoenix Wright machine......the issue is finding time to fit it in with all the other games I have on my still to play list.

AA6 is probably better than most of those. AA3 almost certainly is.
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) - Page 3 EmptyTue 15 Oct 2019 - 1:42

Mine is too a Pokemon machine, even pick it up from time to time to complete Crystal
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) - Page 3 EmptyTue 15 Oct 2019 - 15:45

Balladeer wrote:
The_Jaster wrote:

AA6 is probably better than most of those.  AA3 almost certainly is.

I like how sure you are of that without even knowing the games. Laughing
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) - Page 3 EmptyTue 15 Oct 2019 - 22:33

To be fair, you'll want to rattle through the trilogy back to back. 4/5/6 can wait and probably benefit from a wait too as AA4 and AA5 are a pretty substantial drop in quality from AA3.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) - Page 3 EmptyWed 16 Oct 2019 - 1:56

The trilogy are among the best games ever made, so Balla isn't wrong there. I wasn't quite as keen on number six, but it was alright.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) - Page 3 EmptyThu 17 Oct 2019 - 19:42

Ignore him, 3 > 6 > the others (most of which are still good). You just have to be prepared for a bit of mystical stuff in a franchise that has channelling the dead.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) - Page 3 EmptySat 19 Oct 2019 - 0:54

6 would be up there with 3 in my eyes if it weren't for that bloody soba case. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Kriken
Layton's Apprentice
Kriken

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) - Page 3 EmptySun 20 Oct 2019 - 13:13

Personally, I didn't find AA4 to be a big step down in the series. It did some interesting things. 5 though I found pretty boring, with the writing not as snappy as it used to be. Find it hard to care about stuff like Maya returning in 6 since it's not going to be the same under the new lead writer.

For me it's AA1-4/PLvsPW/AA1 > 5 of all the ones I've played. The first game is probably my favourite.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) - Page 3 EmptySun 20 Oct 2019 - 17:40

Somebody needs to get their AA6 on! I wasn't the biggest fan of 5 either, but the translation is noticeably snappier and the dialogue better in 6. Get it played.

For me, 3 > 6 > AAI2 > 1 > AAI1 > 5 > 2 > 4. Sorry Kriken: Apollo Justice did do some interesting things, but most of them didn't work. It also had the noodle case, Klavier Gavin, and... well... Apollo Justice.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) - Page 3 EmptyMon 21 Oct 2019 - 1:17

I'd rank AA4 above AA5 in my eyes - there's genuinely no standout moments for me in AA5 - and I'd have ranked it equal to AA2 had that game not ended as spectacularly as it did. I love Phoenix's arc in AA4, the opening case is excellent and I enjoyed the final case. The middle of the game slumps somewhat, but hey ho. And there's nothing wrong with having a prosecutor who isn't a total dickhead. Made a nice change, actually.

If we're now doing AA rankings (I'm all for this thread becoming an Ace Attorney discussion thread) then these would be mine:

AA3 > AA6 > AA1 >> AA2 > AA4 >> AA5
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) - Page 3 EmptyMon 21 Oct 2019 - 7:08

What about Layton? As the one with his daughter is out soon on Switch.
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) - Page 3 EmptyMon 21 Oct 2019 - 9:38

JayMoyles wrote:

If we're now doing AA rankings (I'm all for this thread becoming an Ace Attorney discussion thread) then these would be mine:

AA3 > AA6 > AA1 >> AA2 > AA4 >> AA5

Well if we are doing rankings see quote:

truth be told, 5 and 6 are forgettable, don't even remember a single case in them
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) - Page 3 EmptyMon 21 Oct 2019 - 21:34

The Ten Worst GNamer Takes - Number Six Will Shock You

JayMoyles wrote:
I'd rank AA4 above AA5 in my eyes - there's genuinely no standout moments for me in AA5...

...And there's nothing wrong with having a prosecutor who isn't a total dickhead. Made a nice change, actually.

True, and there is the ending... but the rest of the game was solid, and AAs 2 and 4 have some stand-out bad moments.  I didn't like any of the cases in 4 much apart from the last one, which dragged on a bit; and it's impossible for me to overstate how bad I found Turnabout Big Top.  Absolutely diabolical pacing, and I'm not sure it had any good characters either.  Hate hate hate.  Worse than the soba case by far.

That prosecutor point is also dead wrong, for me at least.  The prosecutor needs to start off being the villain, because odds are for the first few cases they're the only one that will really have an arc.  If I'm not enjoying rubbing their face in it, there's not always a great deal to carry me through the early cases.  

There's also the fact that I didn't like Klavier much as a good character either.  I found him smug, but the game was still portraying him as likeable.  I'm not female of course...

masofdas wrote:
What about Layton? As the one with his daughter is out soon on Switch.

Trouble is, Layton's highest point for me is a good way below Phoenix's.  The ends of the respective trilogies were solid 8/10s, but they'd required whole trilogies to build up to that, trilogies filled with repetitive puzzles and non-characters and those more-often-than-not bobbins twists.  Phoenix farts out any old game and I'm probably 7/10ing it.  The fact that Layton's plot nonsense and weak characterisation ruined Layton vs. Wright for me says it all.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) - Page 3 EmptyWed 25 Dec 2019 - 21:04

Was thinking about picking up the old New 3DS XL and seeing what I missed.

I do have Monster Hunter Stories sat on my shelf and someone recently brought up Fantasy Life as something maybe worth looking at playing. So I thought I'd pop my head in here to see what might take my fancy that I missed and I can come up with

Ever Oasis
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

I get Fire Emblem and it's one of the cheapest ones about, I might pick it up. Could anyone shed some more light on Ever Oasis and maybe some other games?
Back to top Go down
Kriken
Layton's Apprentice
Kriken

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) - Page 3 EmptyThu 26 Dec 2019 - 0:22

Shadows of Valentia is really good. I'd say Conquest has better gameplay especially if you're a classic Fire Emblem fan, but Shadows of Valentia is one of my favourites because of every other quality it has. The presentation, characters, story and voice acting are so good. I kind of hated non-linear Fire Emblems before I played it.

I'm not sure what games you haven't played yet but my list is on the bottom of page 1.

I guess I'll give extra attention to great games released late in the system's life like Samus Returns and Warioware Gold.

Samus Returns - I was a bit worried I wouldn't like this as much after playing AM2R, but this is a different kind of remake with its own strengths. Both are really good. I have to say this one isn't exactly groundbreaking - it's just a remake after all, but they did a great job modernising it and adding a lot of nice spectacle. It's another great Metroid game.

Warioware Gold - Admittedly I'm not entirely sure about this one. It has less to offer the more you've played Warioware games, because while it adds a lot of minigames, most of them are from other titles (which is the point, it being a compilation game after all, but you know). On the other hand, I'd recommend other games in the series anyway since they're all still so good and are a bit more charming than this one. But this one is so good for the content, and as a fan it was cool seeing all these characters again. I like how they're all a bit different like they've developed in some way.

Also Virtue's Last Reward - Not one of the later releases on 3DS but mentioning it because I guess it's a little niche and really good. Puzzle-room game with a lot of sci-fi mystery story and timeline-shifting meta stuff. It's the sequel to the DS's 999, which I played a few years later, and while I did enjoy that I prefer Virtue's Last Reward because of all the quality of life improvements among other stuff (though 999 is on more modern platforms with those improvements, I believe). Zero Time Dilemma also seems great but not properly played it yet.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) - Page 3 EmptyThu 26 Dec 2019 - 5:30

Thanks Krik.

I'm not fan of Metroid but did spot Samus Returns when looking and remember it's from Mercury System who did a Castlevania, that I might like it.

VLR, I do have on VITA.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) - Page 3 EmptyThu 26 Dec 2019 - 10:59

masofdas wrote:
Could anyone shed some more light on Ever Oasis and maybe some other games?

This feels like a good place to start. Very Happy Is there anything specific I can answer about EO for you Mas?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) - Page 3 EmptyThu 26 Dec 2019 - 14:41

I'll give it a read later but as you wrote that, must be fairly decent.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) - Page 3 EmptyThu 26 Dec 2019 - 16:54

It's in my top ten on the 3DS for sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)   Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote) - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Your Top Ten 3DS Games (Not a Vote)
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GNamer Forum :: GNamer Forum :: Nintendo Gen. VIII Discussion (and Mobile)-
Jump to: