We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Last game you finished and your thoughts

Go down 
+27
The Christ
Cube
Buskalilly
ZeroSuitSamus2
awesomedude
Rum
ShadoWolf
SuperPaperLink
Vidofnir
mandlecreed
beemoh
Dusty Knackers
The Cappuccino Kid
NintenDUCK
Jimbob
Treesmurf
Admin
masofdas
Crumpy Andy
The_Jaster
JayMoyles
fronkhead
Balladeer
Silver light
nupkin
ZeroJones
Athrun888
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 3 EmptyTue 16 Apr 2013 - 2:02

ZeroJones wrote:
Dusty Knackers wrote:
Hydroventure : Spin Cycle (3DSWare). Really enjoyable platformer/puzzler. Don't think many of you have played this, only seen ZeroJones talk about it actually, which is a shame, get it played!
Fairly sure our sporky has it too. I've got to the third set of levels - hopefully they'll be less of a pain than the latter half of the second set of levels. Very anger inducing. In news actually related to the thread, I expect this to be my next completed game. We'll see!

Yep! I don't think it's quite as good as the WiiWare original but I'm only on the second set of levels (or was it the third?) so I can't say for sure yet. Just at a similarly rage inducing level, so I haven't made any progress on it since January...

The_Jaster wrote:
andyman949 wrote:
I'd probably have picked it up for that price too.

Red Steel, a solid 90% worthy game. Good fun!

Now go play the infinitely better sequel. Smile

Yes! Though I must admit I probably had more *fun* with the original, even though the original is a bit of a shambles. Probably because it's a shambles. The many glitches were more amusing than the game itself at points.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 3 EmptyTue 16 Apr 2013 - 9:23

I did play Red Steel 2 afterwards, I enjoyed it much more but I did miss the shooting from the original. I didn't notice any bugs in that though except a door that opened that shouldn't have.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 3 EmptyTue 16 Apr 2013 - 12:31

Okay, I think I can claim to have finished HarmoKnight by now. All I have left is the final level, but apparently Sporky found that almost impossible to "Great" so I'm not sure that I ever will.

I'm finding this difficult to score, because there's the score I want to give it (8/10) and then there's the score that I think it actually deserves. Let's start by saying that the core gameplay is fun. Tempo trots along, hits things and jumps on things to the beat, and it's all presented very nicely with inoffensive (if surprisingly forgettable) tunes. It starts off being pathetic, but it gets surprisingly hard later on, even though there's a feeling that it never quite delivers on its promise. It's pretty chunky for a downloadable as well, although this is reflected in the price.

Then there's everything else on offer, which can genuinely be put under the sub-heading of "why am I being forced to watch this?" While the two other playable characters are fun enough (albeit limited compared to Tempo), the stop-start when you change over is unnecessary; the enemy (and dance) levels would be so much better if they were constant call-and-response without tedious cut-scenes in the middle, and even then they'd be worse than the platformy bits; and the minecart levels just fail on every level imaginable. Then there's the story: told at a snail's pace, mostly through utterly unremarkable dialogue. Tappy needs to be turned into a pie at the start of the game. The cut-scenes are okay, I suppose, when they're not in the middle of a level.

I want to rate this 8/10 because I had great fun with the Tempo levels, getting a Great on the later ones is very satisfying, and the core idea is something fresh and interesting. But as soon as the game deviates from that core idea, it begins to waffle. So it gets a generous 7/10. Buy when it's on sale.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 3 EmptyTue 16 Apr 2013 - 22:34

Quote :
Yes! Though I must admit I probably had more *fun* with the original, even though the original is a bit of a shambles. Probably because it's a shambles. The many glitches were more amusing than the game itself at points.

*tries to turn slightly to the right* *constantly spins on the spot* Laughing
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2013 - 1:41

Athrun888 wrote:
I actually still think Twilight Princess is a bit of a dull Ocarina copy personally (I think it's more to do with getting bored of the Zelda formula though), but I haven't finished Skyward Sword to comment on it. It is actually on my radar to resume right now though but I think I'd rather get that Nuzlocke run done instead and odds are I'll get sidetracked by 3DS games before I can resume it.
I honestly can't see how any Zelda game is an Ocarina of Time copy, each one has enough big changes to still feel fresh even if they ocassionally tread over some of the same themes and stories.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2013 - 16:49

treesmurf11 wrote:
Athrun888 wrote:
I actually still think Twilight Princess is a bit of a dull Ocarina copy personally (I think it's more to do with getting bored of the Zelda formula though), but I haven't finished Skyward Sword to comment on it. It is actually on my radar to resume right now though but I think I'd rather get that Nuzlocke run done instead and odds are I'll get sidetracked by 3DS games before I can resume it.
I honestly can't see how any Zelda game is an Ocarina of Time copy, each one has enough big changes to still feel fresh even if they ocassionally tread over some of the same themes and stories.

It's more to do with the whole layout of the game. We go through a forest dungeon, followed by a fire and water dungeon just like in Ocarina. We then have a plot changing event and go through several more dungeons. Ganondorf basically being bolted on for no real reason also helps it feel samey to previous games and it doesn't hurt that it was his weakest appearance in the 3d Zelda games.

Majoras Mask had a completely different tone to Ocarina. It also was set in a brand new world with brand new concepts such as the masks granting Link special powers. The dungeons were both varied in themes and well constructed, and the story was completely different to that of Ocarina. Wind Waker also differed a great deal from the Ocarina formula. The tone of the game was also entirely different to Ocarina and really played up the ideas of exploration and going on an adventure with its tons of side content and things to do, and the fantastic way they made it in to a sequel to Ocarina was really well done.

Then we had Twilight Princess which basically went back to the Ocarina formula. And it wasn't as good either. Gone was the side content, gone were the interesting extra special powers you could unlock through exploration, and gone were the efforts to make the overall villain anything but a rule the world for the sake of it type. And what side content there was was not helped by making all the rewards money or extra health which were useless in the game due to how low the damage intake was. There are also other problems with the game to me, such as how the items once you passed the dungeon they were introduced basically almost never got a look in again outside the usual Zelda staples like bombs, hookshot, and the bow.

So to me Princess is simply as backwards step for the franchise. Both Majoras Mask and Wind Waker were highly individual games while still being blatantly Zelda, while Twilight Princess to me just felt like a by the books game that was using roughly the same architecture laid down that Ocarina had used (which was in turn based off the formula from Link to the Past).
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2013 - 18:07

I see where you're coming from with the layout but I'd argue other Zelda games do that, Wind Waker wasn't far off the same formula and Skyward Sword too before switching them around a little after the plot changing event. I'll agree with the Ganon part though, it did seem kind of tacked on but I couldn't imagine TP now without him.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2013 - 19:03

I thought Zant was a much more interesting villain than Ganondorf in Twilight Princess. It seemed odd that he was so central to developments at the beginning, before being hastily shoved aside for the Ganondorf finale.

As a casual Zelda fan, I'd argue that all the 3D Zeldas are basically the same, though some go about things with more flair than others. The only game I can't comment on is Majora's Mask, which I've never played (for more than five minutes).

Saying that they're all basically the same isn't a criticism on my part.
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2013 - 19:05

Don't bother playing Majora's Mask for any more than 5 minutes either Razz
I agree that most Zeldas follow a pretty basic formula and I think personaly Twilight Princess is a significant improvement on Ocarina.
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2013 - 19:08

treesmurf11 wrote:
Athrun888 wrote:

I think in TP's case it's more the hardcore-backlash lot wanting to bully it for not being cel-shaded, But that's a topic I've thrashed to death on here already.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2013 - 20:46

I can't imagine Twilight Princess looking/playing any other way than the way it does. It's still my favourite 3D Zelda (not counting Phantom Hourglass because it's isometric). It's also the only non-DS post-SNES era Zelda I've been compelled to finish.
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2013 - 20:49

Stu_the_great wrote:
(not counting Phantom Hourglass because it's isometric)

*pedantry gland explodes*
Back to top Go down
Silver light
Ing Warrior
Silver light

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2013 - 20:49

Went back and finished off the final route, Heaven's Feel, and the Last Episode in Fate/stay night. Not sure why i bothered. Playing Heaven's Feel after Unlimited Blade Works felt like if something like Final Fantasy IV (really quite good) had happened and then was followed up with something like Ar tonelico Qoga (a couple of great moments, a good cast member or two, but mostly crap and stupidly obsessed with sex)....urgh.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 3 EmptyFri 19 Apr 2013 - 0:09

beemoh wrote:
treesmurf11 wrote:
Athrun888 wrote:

I think in TP's case it's more the hardcore-backlash lot wanting to bully it for not being cel-shaded, But that's a topic I've thrashed to death on here already.
Grown men were weeping at it's reveal, I don't think there was a hardcore backlash.
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 3 EmptyFri 19 Apr 2013 - 12:34

treesmurf11 wrote:
beemoh wrote:
treesmurf11 wrote:
Athrun888 wrote:

Grown men were weeping at it's reveal, I don't think there was a hardcore backlash.

People backlashing against the hardcore, not the hardcore backlashing.

I know, it's an awkward term.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 3 EmptyFri 19 Apr 2013 - 18:38

To be fair the colour scheme was pretty bland and uninteresting. And given the style they used I suspect that out of the 3d Zelda games Twilight Princess will age the worst graphically because of how such a style truly relies on a good amount of power to back it up. Whereas visually different games that played to the strengths of the systems they were made on like Wind Waker and the Mario Galaxy games are going to retain their visual attractivness and splendor even when we compare them to upcoming systems like the Playstation 4 Twilight Princess is going to get more outdated looking as time goes by.

And I will be completely honest and admit the colour scheme did bug me. I typically avoid games that focus on more bland colours like brown, black, and so on because I do not find their worlds visually enticing, Zelda is typically a series that boasts Nintendo's usage of colours to great effect so seeing them make a game that was rather dull did leave a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. It perfectly suited the game to be sure, but I think they still could have pulled the game off while making it more vibrant. Majoras Mask was darker than Twilight Princess in tone and yet was able to use a more wide array of colours to create the world while still retain a very dark and almost depressing atmosphere.
Back to top Go down
Vidofnir
Flock Step Bird
Vidofnir

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 3 EmptyFri 19 Apr 2013 - 20:36

For me I just think the unevolved wii mote was the best controlling experience i have had in a Zelda game. The items were well thought out to, I loved the Spinner, but maybe the ball and chain was a bit too far.

Zant was great! I don't think he necessarily fades off at the end either.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 3 EmptyFri 19 Apr 2013 - 22:21

Vidofnir wrote:
For me I just think the unevolved wii mote was the best controlling experience i have had in a Zelda game. The items were well thought out to, I loved the Spinner, but maybe the ball and chain was a bit too far.

I also enjoy the modest control scheme in the Wii version of TP. From what I've played of Skyward Sword, I've found the control gestures to be way too finnicky when you're surrounded by, say, a big bunch of Moblins.

The ball and chain was a bit too slow for its own good in TP. I only remember one puzzle and one boss battle including it, and the puzzle involved swinging across chandeliers, which I remember finding a bit fiddly. The Spinner was really fun in the desert temple, and I also loved the double Hookshots (especially during the Argorok battle).
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 3 EmptySat 20 Apr 2013 - 8:01

Agreed with the Hookshots and Spinner points. Disagreed quite heavily with the motion controls. If I had to make an ideal FrankenZelda, it'd have:

SS' controls
WW's aesthetics
OoT's scale
TP's items, sidekick, horse and dungeons
ST's TRAIN
MM's instruments and sidequests
LttP's magic use
PH's map use
and a combination of musics from all of them.

None of which I've finished recently, I might add. (looks guiltily at Link's Awakening icon)
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 3 EmptySat 20 Apr 2013 - 9:08

I'm not sure if the ST's Train is a joke or not, but damn I hope it is Laughing
Personally I think motion controls are naff and I get fed up of pointing at the screen for so long so I'd like a lovely solid control.
Back to top Go down
SuperPaperLink
Stability Update
SuperPaperLink

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 3 EmptySat 20 Apr 2013 - 10:24

I loved TPs art style, was darker and grittier than usual Nintendo, which isn't always a bad thing at all, it worked with the whole "twilight" concept. I think the game wouldn't have worked so well if when in the "twilight world" everything was brightly coloured.

No one's really spoken about wolf Link? I really liked that touch, thought it was fun and he controlled well (most of the time) gave a different outlook on the game.

Midna is also one of the best characters in the Zelda series ever.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 3 EmptySat 20 Apr 2013 - 10:59

This needs its own thread...
Back to top Go down
ShadoWolf
Chuffster
ShadoWolf

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 3 EmptySat 20 Apr 2013 - 12:00

Just to derail further: My favourite Zelda game is Minish Cap and no-one can take that away from me
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 3 EmptySun 21 Apr 2013 - 1:01

Balladeer wrote:
This needs its own thread...
Or Miiverse community...
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 3 EmptySun 21 Apr 2013 - 20:37

This afternoon I joined Dusty Knackers on the 'finished Hydroventure: Spin Cycle' podium. Let me first say that I rate it below the Wii original; although it is more charming and characterful, there are enough control issues for the experience to be that little bit worse. Whilst it is pretty expensive for an eShop game, there is fun to be had and a lot of chasing to do if you want all the puzzle pieces and five-star ratings for each level. The puzzles are usually pretty good, though the bosses disappoint. To sum up, it's a polished but slightly frustrating game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last game you finished and your thoughts   Last game you finished and your thoughts - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last game you finished and your thoughts
Page 3 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next