We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Early Mario or Early Sonic?

Go down 
+14
Rattlecat
2grundies
beemoh
masofdas
Admin
Jimbob
Balladeer
The_Jaster
ZeroJones
JayMoyles
Rum
shanks
Crumpy Andy
The Cappuccino Kid
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Mario
Early Mario or Early Sonic? Vote_lcap68%Early Mario or Early Sonic? Vote_rcap
 68% [ 13 ]
Sonic
Early Mario or Early Sonic? Vote_lcap26%Early Mario or Early Sonic? Vote_rcap
 26% [ 5 ]
Jonah Lomu Rugby
Early Mario or Early Sonic? Vote_lcap5%Early Mario or Early Sonic? Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 19

AuthorMessage
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

Early Mario or Early Sonic? Empty
PostSubject: Early Mario or Early Sonic?   Early Mario or Early Sonic? EmptyTue 14 May 2013 - 12:10

They're all brilliant, but pick! Which do you prefer: early (pre-64) Mario or early (pre-Adventure) Sonic?

Find Mario to be ugly, plodding and uncharismatic? Find Mario to be well-crafted, imaginative and the apex of 2D platforming? Have your say.

Find Sonic to be basic, imprecise and near unplayable? Find Sonic to be vivid, confident and the the shining example of the genre? Have your say.

~

I'm a Sonic guy.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Early Mario or Early Sonic?   Early Mario or Early Sonic? EmptyTue 14 May 2013 - 13:09

I'm a Mario man myself, I do quite like Sonic 2,3 and Knuckles but I hate Sonic 1 and CD.
On the other hand I love all of the early Mario games (though world not as much as the others)
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Early Mario or Early Sonic?   Early Mario or Early Sonic? EmptyTue 14 May 2013 - 15:51

Never got to play the old Sonic in the old days so I guess Mario
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Early Mario or Early Sonic?   Early Mario or Early Sonic? EmptyTue 14 May 2013 - 17:18

No Sonic game I've played can compete with Supes Mazza World.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Early Mario or Early Sonic?   Early Mario or Early Sonic? EmptyTue 14 May 2013 - 17:30

Super Mario Brothers 3 and Super Mario World are the pinnacle of 2D platforming to me, there's no question as to what my choice is.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Early Mario or Early Sonic?   Early Mario or Early Sonic? EmptyTue 14 May 2013 - 18:44

Another Mario vote over here. Sonic games are fun but I grew up with Mario.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Early Mario or Early Sonic?   Early Mario or Early Sonic? EmptyTue 14 May 2013 - 21:51

Mario, the only Sonic game I truely enjoyed was rush on the DS & even then I didn't own it.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Early Mario or Early Sonic?   Early Mario or Early Sonic? EmptyWed 15 May 2013 - 7:41

As someone who never played early Sonic, I don't feel able to vote. However, I didn't really enjoy early Mario games. SMB was too old when I got around to it, SMB2 wasn't proper Mario, and I never got past the sun on SMB3. SMW, on the other hand... whaddagame.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Early Mario or Early Sonic?   Early Mario or Early Sonic? EmptyWed 15 May 2013 - 11:11

Quote :
SMB2 wasn't proper Mario

It bugs me a little when folk say that, we didn't know better back at the original release & my opinion it's way better than lost levels which is more of the same just harder.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Early Mario or Early Sonic?   Early Mario or Early Sonic? EmptyWed 15 May 2013 - 11:15

Let me rephrase, then: it doesn't feel like other Mario games. I'd argue that it feels inferior. The sand-digging sections in particular annoy me no end. And I played it for the first time on the GBA, so I did know better. No nostalgia here!

I've never played LL, though, so you may be right on that.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Early Mario or Early Sonic?   Early Mario or Early Sonic? EmptyWed 15 May 2013 - 22:46

Mario.

As a Ninty fanboy kid I was taught to believe Sonic was the enemy. He was essentially Poochie before Poochie, but then Sega added even more Poochies.

However, as the original console war ended, and I grew up, I thought I'd give Sonic a go. It did kind of look fun with its chunky shiny graphics.

Nope. Turns out he always sucked.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Early Mario or Early Sonic?   Early Mario or Early Sonic? EmptyFri 17 May 2013 - 18:44

I love both equally, so I couldn't possibly choose. I was (am?) extremely fortunate to have both a Mega Drive and a Super Nintendo (the MD being a present and the SNES being painstakingly saved up for). If you were asking which I loved first, though, it would be Sonic.

Sonic, as I've banged on about many times before, is the mascot/franchise that got me into vidyagaems.
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Early Mario or Early Sonic?   Early Mario or Early Sonic? EmptySat 25 Jan 2014 - 11:42

The_Jaster wrote:
Quote :
 SMB2 wasn't proper Mario

It bugs me a little when folk say that, we didn't know better back at the original release & my opinion it's way better than lost levels which is more of the same just harder.

Can't believe I never posted on here, but above is what i feel about Super MARIO World 2: Yoshi Island at the time we didn't know it would spin-off a whole new franchises for Nintendo. At the time it would of just been a new mechanic they wanted to try like FLUDD in sunshine.

Also I did vote for Sonic, me & Stu must be the only sane ones here and Andy the most loopy (pun) not liking Sonic CD which is arguably the best 2D Sonic Game (anything is better then 3D really), it's not the NGPC game is but not sure if could count that as old Sonic. Even though it doesn't hold a place in my heart like 2 as that like Stu got me into gaming.

I will leave with this

Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Early Mario or Early Sonic?   Early Mario or Early Sonic? EmptySat 25 Jan 2014 - 20:08

& we all know super Monaco GP went on to outdo super Mario Kart Winky Face (on another note how could ye be mad at that free advertising Laughing )
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Early Mario or Early Sonic?   Early Mario or Early Sonic? EmptySat 25 Jan 2014 - 20:18

I've only ever played Sonic CD at a friend's house back in the day. I remember the change of viewpoint when entering one of the franchise's trademark loops and the animated cut-scenes blowing me away.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Early Mario or Early Sonic?   Early Mario or Early Sonic? EmptySat 25 Jan 2014 - 20:40

I can't find sales figures Super Monaco GP but Mario Kart only sold 1.2m in Europe. And mega drive was rather popular in Europe where F1 also is. So I wouldn't be shocked if the numbers were closer then you think.
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Early Mario or Early Sonic?   Early Mario or Early Sonic? EmptySat 25 Jan 2014 - 20:41

I had the first PC version of Sonic CD, when PC games came in massive boxes and this? All this, here? Fields.

I think I leant it to someone and never got it back.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Early Mario or Early Sonic?   Early Mario or Early Sonic? EmptySat 25 Jan 2014 - 21:36

masofdas wrote:
I can't find sales figures Super Monaco GP but Mario Kart only sold 1.2m in Europe. And mega drive was rather popular in Europe where F1 also is. So I wouldn't be shocked if the numbers were closer then you think.

Come the hell on though, you can't possibly say that Mario Kart isn't the better game.

Also, was Ecco the Dolphin really the best game to use in that ad? That game blows hard.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Early Mario or Early Sonic?   Early Mario or Early Sonic? EmptySat 25 Jan 2014 - 21:38

I always wished that Ecco the Dolphin was even half as fun to play as it was nice to look at. Probably some of the finest sprite art on the MD. Such a disappointment.  No
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Early Mario or Early Sonic?   Early Mario or Early Sonic? EmptySat 25 Jan 2014 - 21:51

Super Mario Kart is the far better game.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Early Mario or Early Sonic?   Early Mario or Early Sonic? EmptySat 25 Jan 2014 - 22:07

Stu_the_great wrote:
I always wished that Ecco the Dolphin was even half as fun to play as it was nice to look at. Probably some of the finest sprite art on the MD. Such a disappointment.  No

It's a pretty game, yeah - If only the gameplay reflected its visuals.
Back to top Go down
2grundies
F-Zero Rookie
2grundies

PostSubject: Re: Early Mario or Early Sonic?   Early Mario or Early Sonic? EmptySat 25 Jan 2014 - 23:10

In answer to the original question, i'd say that Sonic was at his best dangling from the mirror in Rad Mobile  Nah nah!  Never understood the fascination in getting from A to B so fast that the levels became a blur. I prefer to take a more considered approach, so Mario all the way for me. Just suits my style of play better, i suppose.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Early Mario or Early Sonic?   Early Mario or Early Sonic? EmptySun 26 Jan 2014 - 3:28

JayMoyles wrote:
masofdas wrote:

Come the hell on though, you can't possibly say that Mario Kart isn't the better game.

That's exactly what I was getting at as who gives a shit about sales? That MD ad is just all hype to sell the system, its like ps2 & the "emotion engine" I cant believe folk still buy into that nonsense. Laughing
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Early Mario or Early Sonic?   Early Mario or Early Sonic? EmptySun 26 Jan 2014 - 11:41

You said outdo, when I see something like that I think sells.

Blast Processing though it gets me hyped to play the mega drive. I can't remember the PS2 ads, I remember the xbox's baby to adult ad.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Early Mario or Early Sonic?   Early Mario or Early Sonic? EmptySun 26 Jan 2014 - 12:38

I think advertising which relies on belittling the opposition is pretty crappy. Even acknowledging your competition is a pretty weak move in advertising, unless it's done right, like Sony's jab at Microsoft with the "how to share your games on PS4" ad. If they'd come out and said "Maaaaan, Xbox One TOTALLY SUCKS! PS4 is rad, BUY IT WOOO!" I wouldn't have been impressed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Early Mario or Early Sonic?   Early Mario or Early Sonic? Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next