We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Steam Machine discussion thread

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

Steam Machine discussion thread Empty
PostSubject: Steam Machine discussion thread   Steam Machine discussion thread EmptyThu 12 Dec 2013 - 10:37

Howdy all - Valve are sending out beta Steam Machines to a select few, so it's likely we'll be seeing reports of the machine in action soon.

Thoughts on this? Do you reckon it'll revolutionise the console market? Flop catastrophically? Perform relatively well and integrate into the market with no fuss?

Discuss away!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Steam Machine discussion thread   Steam Machine discussion thread EmptyThu 12 Dec 2013 - 10:54

As someone that doesn't have a decent PC to play PC games, I am very interested in it if I can pay £425 for what seems to be fairly high speced PC (better then XBone & PS4 i believe). Only issues I have how many games are there I want to play on a PC that I can't on a console, I know PC games are cheaper but can't trade in etc and the other one is that I'm hearing only about 300 games work in SteamOS at the moment. 300 is still a lot and guess all new releases that come out will work on SteamOS.

I think the market is small as most steam customer's all ready have a decent rig and big monitor or use big picture mode or what ever with there TVs, so what makes consoles great by seating on your sofa and playing can be done all ready.

So the market is I think people like me whom can't be assed to build a PC etc and that's small.

So I think it will sell a few million, valve will make a bit of money but won't trouble the big three.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Steam Machine discussion thread   Steam Machine discussion thread EmptyThu 12 Dec 2013 - 11:10

That's the way I see it going - steady but respectable sales.

In regards to the "no trade-in" thing you brought up - that'll likely be changing soon as well. I've got a feeling the Steam Marketplace will put on something where you can get folk to buy games off you, with Valve and the original developer taking a cut of the money. Regardless, the sheer cheapness of the games on PC make up for that.

I can see myself picking one up in a few years when my laptop grows dated and starts to struggle. As you rightly brought up though, right now there's not a huge demand in the already installed Steam userbase, but I can see it bringing a lot of new consumers.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Steam Machine discussion thread   Steam Machine discussion thread EmptyThu 12 Dec 2013 - 23:00

hmm yeah I see there's some great deals I seen Dishonored was under £3 the other day only problem is I've all ready played it. I've had same problems with PSN+ great value but I barely played anything as with likes of Red Dead Resumption all ready played it.

Same with new downloads like Unfinished Swan on PSN, Trine 2 on Wii U I've barely played them as well, I tend to forget about them as I can't see them if that makes sense. So with a console that was just digital titles, i don't know if I would actually play anything.

So it would be for new releases only for me if I bought a steam machine.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Steam Machine discussion thread   Steam Machine discussion thread EmptyFri 13 Dec 2013 - 3:48

There is a lot of crossover, so if you've played a lot of games on the 360 and whatnot then yeah, the Steam library is lessened somewhat. I've found myself rebuying a lot of games because of how easy and cheap it is though. And Humble Bundles help things along too.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Steam Machine discussion thread   Steam Machine discussion thread EmptyMon 16 Dec 2013 - 23:49

A wild Steam Machine
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Steam Machine discussion thread   Steam Machine discussion thread EmptyTue 17 Dec 2013 - 7:31

It's looking like an impressive piece of kit. It'll be interesting to see the price point on these.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Steam Machine discussion thread   Steam Machine discussion thread EmptyTue 17 Dec 2013 - 10:08

I've seen prices for two different manufacturers, one was £450 the other which is a top spec was £700 if I remember correctly.
Back to top Go down
Cube
Garreg Mach Geography Teacher

PostSubject: Re: Steam Machine discussion thread   Steam Machine discussion thread EmptyTue 17 Dec 2013 - 13:22

The way I see it, Steam Machines are a range of PCs that come with a poor OS (in terms of the games it plays and other features).

So far, the main difference is that the ones shown so far are in cases that look better under a TV. But those cases can just be made for PCs.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Steam Machine discussion thread   Steam Machine discussion thread EmptyTue 17 Dec 2013 - 21:31

Well the range of games is 300 at the moment and if something like Half Life 3 is available on it a month before anything else. You can see people using, but you hit the nail on the head there just PCs for people like me whom can't be assed to make a PC.

Also the £700 machine was using windows as well as SteamOS, you could boot it in either OS when turning on.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Steam Machine discussion thread   Steam Machine discussion thread EmptyThu 19 Dec 2013 - 15:58

Cube wrote:
The way I see it, Steam Machines are a range of PCs that come with a poor OS (in terms of the games it plays and other features).

So far, the main difference is that the ones shown so far are in cases that look better under a TV. But those cases can just be made for PCs.

This. I think that's why Valve are aiming it at the living room, since there is no real competition there from Windows boxes (Microsoft's version of Windows for the living room is the Xbox, though, I guess).

But then there's a value proposition thought -- I'd much rather pick up a good Windows PC (which is every bit as 'open' as SteamOS, in fact it's even more open given how much easier it will be to install any software I want or dualboot any other OS I want) instead given the inevitable prices of the hardware (OEMs making SteamBoxes will want to profit off them), or a console.

But I think SteamOS is going to be something that'll improve with time, much like iOS and Android did as gaming devices (I know, it's not the best analogy). The library of Linux games is tiny (and some games like Metro: Last Light feature worse visuals at the higher quality settings) but it'll grow to a point where it's worth diving in. Though I'm not sure if there really are many tangible reasons to get one unless you really want to PC game on the living room TV -- so far framerate improvements with NVidia graphics cards are tangible at best over Windows, or non-existent with Intel, and I really don't think an extra 3fps is worth the convenience of leaving behind Windows.

I think the best bit about it though is Microsoft will start taking PC gaming very seriously again now they may have some competition on their hands. I'm eagerly awaiting what this man is up to: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-08-14-former-steam-boss-lands-at-microsoft

But yes, I see SteamOS as Gabe Newell making a lot of fuss over nothing, him claiming how Windows 8 is apparently 'closed' compared to previous versions of Windows just because of the Windows Store. Which has posed absolutely no threat to Steam as a platform whatsoever (Steam has still seen large growth and 20 percent of its users run Microsoft's latest OS). His own Steam store does exactly the same thing and is even more closed off to developers.

The prevalence of Steam as the dominant PC gaming platform, to the extent that most PC gamers won't even buy a PC game unless it's on Steam, has disappointed me. While I love Steam and appreciate how it's made PC gaming relevant again, Valve's huge market share and control over what games go on Steam (which has slightly improved due to Greenlight) has led to less choice for all. I don't see this improving given Valve will automatically have a monopoly on Linux gaming given there's naut competition on that platform.

I'm getting quite annoyed that Valve don't view the PC as a priority anymore. The Steam client is horrible now, not supporting hardware acceleration for things like scrolling, not supporting high-dpi, to the extent that I find it easier to browse the Steam store on IE11. I find it annoying that the client feels like a Windows XP-era program, probably because it is.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Steam Machine discussion thread   Steam Machine discussion thread EmptyFri 20 Dec 2013 - 23:35

People have been doing teardowns of the prototype which was sent out, it costs $1300 in parts of the shelf.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Steam Machine discussion thread   Steam Machine discussion thread EmptySat 11 Jan 2014 - 22:26

IGN has a guide up on all 15 known steam machines that range from $500 to $6000.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Steam Machine discussion thread   Steam Machine discussion thread EmptySun 12 Jan 2014 - 1:25

Pretty much how I feel about Steam Machines right now: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-01-10-steam-machines-must-be-more-than-a-hobby
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Steam Machine discussion thread   Steam Machine discussion thread EmptySat 7 Mar 2015 - 20:56

So the machines are out November full list here. I made a thread a while ago about PC gaming and that I am tempted by it for mainly the indies as AAA game such as COD, I sooner play on a PS4 as that's where all my friends are.

Some of these seem rather pricey but those might be the ones that can play said AAA game at ultra but as we now more also the possibility of VR. could a steam machine be better for someone like me that is use to playing with a controller whilst sat in front of TV maybe VR soon.

If so what sort of thing should I be looking at there's so many wish there was a survey type thing that asked you what you wanted.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Steam Machine discussion thread   Steam Machine discussion thread EmptySat 7 Mar 2015 - 21:31

It really depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for something that'll be able to run top-end games then I'd splash a bit of cash on it - check the specs to run a game on Ultra for any AAA release, and then compare that with the specs on the Steam Machines. If you're just looking for an indie machine, you won't need anything too hefty.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Steam Machine discussion thread   Steam Machine discussion thread EmptySat 7 Mar 2015 - 22:14

Sort of in-between and as I know nothing about specs or brands with PC's, I recognise the alienware one but that's about it. I know I wouldn't want to spend more then about £350 (a console) which is about $525.

Looking on the STEAM store now I would be interested in Torchlight II, Talos Principle, This War of Mine, Dreamfall Chapters, Papers Please, White Night, Hatoful Boyfriend, To the Moon, System Shock 2, Fahrenheit HD.

That's from the first 10 pages of what will work with the SteamOS out of those 5 are coming to PS4 of course on Steam get early and discounts as

Borderlands 2 was on offer and at it's price would be very tempting to play but then again it's coming to PS4 with all the DLC & Pre-Sequel for £40 & I can play with let's say Andy.

So a low spec one might be fine for me but there might be odd time where there's something on offer like a Borderlands 2.

Or would a PC or Laptop better for me to plug into my TV for what seems so little on a Steam Machine might be over priced for being all in one and uses only the OS, my PC could use anything on Steam.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Steam Machine discussion thread   Steam Machine discussion thread EmptySat 7 Mar 2015 - 23:05

A PC or laptop might be a better bet, yeah. I've bought so many games on PC from platforms other than Steam, and you're restricting yourself with a Steam machine. Steam's Big Picture mode works with a controller and it's designed for TVs in mind.

This here might be worth a look.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Steam Machine discussion thread   Steam Machine discussion thread EmptySat 7 Mar 2015 - 23:12

Yeah seen the link but a little pointless for me as laptop or PC would be in my room and like you said I can use big picture mode & guess a 360 controller.

Only reason I'm looking at STEAM as I know that they do a good job but Good Old Games could get a look in.

So more of the question then what could I get with console type money (£350) with a PC that can run those games I bring up and the possibility of the odd thing like borderlands 2.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Steam Machine discussion thread   Steam Machine discussion thread EmptySat 7 Mar 2015 - 23:26

If you're open to building your own, you'll get a lot more bang for your buck, so to speak.

This site should help on that front: http://choosemypc.net/#top

With that sort of price range, buying from a manufacturer would get you your indies no bother, but anything more than that might be a struggle. I spent about £650 on my laptop, but I could have gotten a lot more with my money if I'd built it myself.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Steam Machine discussion thread   Steam Machine discussion thread EmptySat 7 Mar 2015 - 23:39

I know I can more on a PC then a games console but I can do that on me current laptop.  That I am viewing it more as a game machine if I get a better PC or Laptop and £650+ is a lot of money seeing most like I point out with the games that work with the SteamOS are coming to PS4 which I've already got and still would be my main gaming system.

So just a basic indie playing machine of the shelf might be better would prefer laptop to a PC as I quite take it downstairs & use on the table.

But what sort of laptop can you get for £350 that's the thing that a STEAM machine might make more sense again of course there's used laptops from CEX for instance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steam Machine discussion thread   Steam Machine discussion thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Steam Machine discussion thread
Page 1 of 1