We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What do you mean, you've never played...

Go down 
+12
shanks
Jimbob
Crumpy Andy
Admin
Athrun888
The Cappuccino Kid
ZeroJones
Balladeer
Fastpie
The_Jaster
JayMoyles
masofdas
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

What do you mean, you've never played...   Empty
PostSubject: What do you mean, you've never played...    What do you mean, you've never played...   EmptyWed 14 Jan 2015 - 10:44

Okay we've got What do you mean, you've never watched... thread and after some talk in the retro thread & else where.

There is some retro and modern classics which some of might not have played it might being because of age or due to gaming not be ubiquitous like films or music that you might not even had a chance to play.

I don't know if we bring up what we've not played like Xenoblade for me and then someone says why l should play it (I will be playing on New 3DS now instead of Wii).
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: What do you mean, you've never played...    What do you mean, you've never played...   EmptyWed 14 Jan 2015 - 13:54

I'm afraid I've not played Xenoblade either, but from what I've seen, you should play it because of the sheer scope of the game and the great art direction.

I'll join in - I have never played a Resident Evil game.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: What do you mean, you've never played...    What do you mean, you've never played...   EmptyWed 14 Jan 2015 - 15:42

Not a surprise this but I've never played any main series Pokemon game. *runs from mob*
Back to top Go down
Fastpie
Boo This Man .Gif
Fastpie

PostSubject: Re: What do you mean, you've never played...    What do you mean, you've never played...   EmptyWed 14 Jan 2015 - 15:56

Sure, I'll play. I've never played any Mega Man game.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What do you mean, you've never played...    What do you mean, you've never played...   EmptyWed 14 Jan 2015 - 16:32

Neither have I! I hear they've got a bit rubbish recently though.

The_Jaster wrote:
Not a surprise this but I've never played any main series Pokemon game. *runs from mob*

You're probably best off not doing so, Jas. Just really think it would rub you up the wrong way - all turn-based battles, numbers, and not being Monster Hunter.

Definitely play XC, you lot! The art direction I can take or leave: the scope needs to be experienced. An entire ecosystem stretching off towards the horizon, and that's just Gaur Plain. Combat's great too, as is the music.

And an original one: I've never played a Persona game. Or, y'know, pretty much any franchise that hasn't graced Nintendo's consoles: let's go with Ico and SotC.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: What do you mean, you've never played...    What do you mean, you've never played...   EmptyWed 14 Jan 2015 - 16:54

The first game springing to mind is genre favourite Final Fantasy VII. There are bound to be many more that'll come to me before too long!
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: What do you mean, you've never played...    What do you mean, you've never played...   EmptyWed 14 Jan 2015 - 17:36

Keeping this retro, I guess the biggest one is probably Shenmue (and it's sequel). There's lots of PlayStation and XBox stuff I've not played either.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: What do you mean, you've never played...    What do you mean, you've never played...   EmptyWed 14 Jan 2015 - 17:52

Fastpie wrote:
Sure, I'll play. I've never played any Mega Man game.

I love Mega Man, but it's not for everyone. It's a hardcore action-platformer and can be very unforgiving, but what I really love about is its level design. Each section of a level is designed in order to teach you a certain mechanic of the level - if you don't learn that mechanic, then odds are you're going to die and the game will try to teach you it again. It does all this wordlessly too, which I think is phenomenal, especially in this age of "HEY PRESS A TO JUMP OVER THIS PIT, BUT WATCH OUT FOR THE MONSTER THAT JUMPS OUT!" Mega Man will just have you jump over the pit, get hit by the monster and fall to your death, but the next time you come to it you'll know to bait it out. It's frustrating, but very rewarding.

Oh, and it has some of the very best soundtracks in video games. If I were to recommend any Mega Man game, I'd recommend Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3 and Mega Man X.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: What do you mean, you've never played...    What do you mean, you've never played...   EmptyWed 14 Jan 2015 - 18:02

The original The legend of Zelda would be the biggest one. I couldn't stomach A Link to the Past (nothing personal, I just don't find the older style of graphics to keep me engaged) so I never bothered with the original. I suppose if you ignore the fact I dropped it very very early on Final Fantasy VII might also count, given I mostly play rpgs the fact I've barely played what many (wrongly as far as I'm concerned) call the best rpg of all time would probably elicit a similar reaction from some people.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What do you mean, you've never played...    What do you mean, you've never played...   EmptyWed 14 Jan 2015 - 23:18

I own but have never played Xenoblade or The Last Story. Do I care? Nup!

See also: Castlevania IV and Super Metroid. I'll be able to add loads more of those games here when I think of them.
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What do you mean, you've never played...    What do you mean, you've never played...   EmptyWed 14 Jan 2015 - 23:52

Xenoblade I will be addressing in April it seems.

But the one I'm going to go for myself as I didn't actually say one is world of warcraft mainly because it's only on PC & it has sub but seems to have been a a huge game even culturally that South Park does episodes on it for instance.

FFVIII seems to be a popular choice, I've played but never seen the fuss but I think it's because I was to young when it came out and it's aged rather badly now, that I would just go to the best FF which is IX if you want a RPG from the PS1 era and a FF game.

@Cappa you own a 360 right, I'm sure Shenmue II on the OG Xbox work on it also it's in English unlike the dreamcast version, It still holds up and is one of the very best game of all time

@Jay is the RE:Make coming to PC, I'd check that out also if you do play a RE game avoid anything that isn't 0,1,2,3,4,Code
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: What do you mean, you've never played...    What do you mean, you've never played...   EmptyThu 15 Jan 2015 - 1:22

Balladeer wrote:
The_Jaster wrote:

You're probably best off not doing so, Jas.  Just really think it would rub you up the wrong way - all turn-based battles, numbers, and not being Monster Hunter.

The thought hasn't crossed my mind in some time. Laughing

Stu wrote:
Super Metroid.

You should probably get on that, it's such a classic though if I remember right you aren't much of a Metroid fan.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What do you mean, you've never played...    What do you mean, you've never played...   EmptyThu 15 Jan 2015 - 7:44

Stu_the_great wrote:
I own but have never played Xenoblade or The Last Story. Do I care? Nup!

You really should, especially XC. A truly excellent game. Even Jas, one of the forum's least big fans of the genre, loves it!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What do you mean, you've never played...    What do you mean, you've never played...   EmptyThu 15 Jan 2015 - 10:44

The_Jaster wrote:
You should probably get on that, it's such a classic though if I remember right you aren't much of a Metroid fan.

I thoroughly enjoyed Zero Mission on GBA. The bonus Samus mission at the end of the game was so tense! The main thing putting me off SM is that it's tethered to whichever home console I'd decide to play it on.

@Balla: Everyone makes a row about XC, but I never hear anyone mention The Last Story nowadays...
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: What do you mean, you've never played...    What do you mean, you've never played...   EmptyThu 15 Jan 2015 - 10:49

That's probably because when you think about TLS you can't help but compare it to XC and that is like comparing Rabbids 3D to Rayman Legends.

I've been trying to think about what I can add to this thread for the last day, but nothing is coming to mind. There will definitely be something retro, maybe Goldeneye? Is that shocking? I've never tried the N64 version of Mario 64, does that count?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What do you mean, you've never played...    What do you mean, you've never played...   EmptyThu 15 Jan 2015 - 10:52

I know that Mas is a fan (and that Vido really isn't Laughing ).  TLS was fun enough, with an interesting battle system (that was most of the game), and arguably had better characterisation than XC, but can't hold a candle to it otherwise.  (Pre-post EDIT: so pretty much what Andyman said, then.)

I'd still say pick it up, when you have a gap in your gaming schedule; whereas you should make room in your gaming schedule for XC, over most other things.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What do you mean, you've never played...    What do you mean, you've never played...   EmptyThu 15 Jan 2015 - 10:54

andyman949 wrote:
I've never tried the N64 version of Mario 64, does that count?

If you've played the game on DS or whatever, I think you're excused there. Smile

Does anyone care enough about Spyro for me to say I've never played a Spyro game?

@Balla/andy: TBH, it was the battle system which I'd read about in NGamer that had intrigued me the most, plus the premise of the story.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What do you mean, you've never played...    What do you mean, you've never played...   EmptyThu 15 Jan 2015 - 11:29

I loved TLS a excellent JRPG, but I've not played XC which might be the better game but I can't judge it against something I've not played.

I really liked the combat system and the story in last story also it's not to long for a JRPG, I think I just crossed the 20hr mark on it.

What Spyro's on the PS1 were great not Crash Bandicoot great but still get them downloaded of PSN on to your VITA.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What do you mean, you've never played...    What do you mean, you've never played...   EmptyThu 15 Jan 2015 - 11:37

Stu_the_great wrote:
andyman949 wrote:
I've never tried the N64 version of Mario 64, does that count?

If you've played the game on DS or whatever, I think you're excused there. Smile

Although don't base your opinions of the N64 game on it. The original had less to it and is substantially uglier, but is more tightly designed and had far superior controls.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: What do you mean, you've never played...    What do you mean, you've never played...   EmptyThu 15 Jan 2015 - 12:48

Stu_the_great wrote:
andyman949 wrote:

Does anyone care enough about Spyro for me to say I've never played a Spyro game?

I really like Spyro, especially the first two. Though, they do fall into that very overpopulated genre of "collect-a-thon" platformers, like your Banjos and your Mario 64s. It's got some brilliant music though, composed by a chap from The Police no less (but not Sting).[/quote]
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: What do you mean, you've never played...    What do you mean, you've never played...   EmptyFri 16 Jan 2015 - 21:11

I had a look at GamesRadar's Top 100 games of all time, and I only got to No. 2 before I hit a snag: I've never played Chrono Trigger, despite everyone in the known universe telling me how awesome it is. I do have it - it's on my Wii VC. But I know I'm going to need a large period of time for a numbery-RPG; even if it's the best one, I don't know if I can do that...
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What do you mean, you've never played...    What do you mean, you've never played...   EmptyFri 16 Jan 2015 - 22:11

I've never played Chrono either. I have it on DS, and I've still never played it.

Looking at how much it fetches on eBay these days, I'm unwilling to soil my copy by unsealing it, even if I never intend selling it. Laughing
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What do you mean, you've never played...    What do you mean, you've never played...   EmptyFri 16 Jan 2015 - 22:38

Looking at that list I've not played Max Payne 2, Lumines: Electronic Symphony, Planet Puzzle League, The Sims 3, Minecraft, To the Moon, Bomberman Live, Far Cry 3, Grim Fandango, StarCraft 2, Fallout 2, Saints Row: The Third, Planescape: Torment, Psychonauts, The Secret of Monkey Island, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Warcraft 3, Skyrim, Final Fantasy Tactics, Dragon Quest 8, XCOM: Enemy Within (I've played a demo), Diablo 2, Mother 3, Assassin's Creed 4 (I own this game), Final Fantasy VI (I think I own this as PS1 Classic), League of Legends, Persona 4: The Golden (I own this), World of Warcraft, Chrono Trigger.

That's quite a bit seeing when someone posted the link to a 1000 games you should play before you die, I played most of them even AVP on the Jag.

But out of those I've not played most as there PC based like WoW and very few I want to play them only being To The Moon but that's not going to happen unless it gets ported to PS4, Grim Fandango which is coming to PS4 as a remastered game, Skyrim but have nothing to play it on, Pschonauts nut nothing to play this on, FF:Tactics this is on something like GBA or PS1 classic so could play, Persona 4 Golden which I will play one day and Chrono Trigger to see the fuss I'm hoping it comes to Wii U's VC.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: What do you mean, you've never played...    What do you mean, you've never played...   EmptyFri 16 Jan 2015 - 23:07

masofdas wrote:
XCOM: Enemy Within

XCOM is Fire Emblem with lasers and aliens. You'd love it.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What do you mean, you've never played...    What do you mean, you've never played...   EmptyFri 16 Jan 2015 - 23:13

Again nothing to play it on, PSNow could come in handy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you mean, you've never played...    What do you mean, you've never played...   Empty

Back to top Go down

What do you mean, you've never played...
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next