We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Best version of DK: Jungle Beat?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

Best version of DK: Jungle Beat? Empty
PostSubject: Best version of DK: Jungle Beat?   Best version of DK: Jungle Beat? EmptyWed 22 Jul 2015 - 23:53

So I just remembered DK: Jungle Beat exists. For all the times I've been saddened that Nintendo stopped making (non-NSMB) 2D platformers in-house since Yoshi's Story, this game sure showed me! It's great, and I'm considering picking up the Wii version as I'm too lazy to dig out the bongos and compatible hardware. And it's meant to have new content!

I can't really find much on this though. Some reviews tend to treat the Wii game in isolation from the GC one, or they don't tend to consider the differences between both games. Elsewhere I've been reading that it's been radically overhauled and that the controls are a bore (hold the stick to move). And that it's been a bit influenced by Donkey Kong Country, with a three-heart health system in place of the score penalty that existed before.

I'm sure it's still a great game, but I fear it's now more of a traditional 2D sidescroller than a platformer about maintaining your rhythm and flow.

Not sure I like the sound of that...thoughts?
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Best version of DK: Jungle Beat?   Best version of DK: Jungle Beat? EmptyThu 23 Jul 2015 - 7:21

Whilst I've not played both - so shouldn't really be commenting Embarrassed - I'm going to, to express my love for Jungle Beat on the Wii. From what I remember, the emphasis on rhythm that you're looking for has all but disappeared. However, what remains is an excellent 2D platformer, jam-packed with creativity. I love it.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Best version of DK: Jungle Beat?   Best version of DK: Jungle Beat? EmptyThu 23 Jul 2015 - 7:37

fronkhead wrote:

I'm sure it's still a great game, but I fear it's now more of a traditional 2D sidescroller than a platformer about maintaining your rhythm and flow.

That's a good way of summing it up. For that reason above I definitely think the GameCube version with the bongos is the way to go, but nonetheless the Wii update isn't a bad substitute. It's still quite good, and it's only £3.00 in CEX if you can find it as well.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Best version of DK: Jungle Beat?   Best version of DK: Jungle Beat? EmptyFri 7 Aug 2015 - 18:34

I'd forgotten I'd made this thread. But I have a hankering for Jungle Beat again.

I'll probably dig out my old GC version, then. It really is a great platformer (agreed Zero Jones!) but I play it like I do a rhythm game in a way. Might take a look at some of the new levels of the Wii version online though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best version of DK: Jungle Beat?   Best version of DK: Jungle Beat? Empty

Back to top Go down

Best version of DK: Jungle Beat?
Page 1 of 1