We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4?

Go down 
+10
Crumpy Andy
Treesmurf
shanks
JayMoyles
ZeroJones
The_Jaster
masofdas
Balladeer
Muss
Buskalilly
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4?   Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4? - Page 5 EmptySun 12 Feb 2023 - 22:17

Ha, that wasp in the drone fight scan is something ingrained in me from way back in the day.

I guess I can agree with that point about it not being a remake as it doesn't need to be remade from the ground up. I suppose that point about it feeling like more than a remaster is because it's not just been a cause of the existing models and environments getting a lick of paint but the assets being totally remade in some instances, like Flaahgra for example.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4?   Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4? - Page 5 EmptySun 12 Feb 2023 - 22:27

I was obsessed with the design on that thing for ages after playing it back in 2002, lots of plants with scythe arms coming out of my drawings and such. I'm sure it was partly Stockholm Syndrome from spending so long on (and getting to!) that fight, but I got to it again recently and - it still looks really cool! Love
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4?   Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4? - Page 5 EmptyMon 13 Feb 2023 - 20:08

Balla wrote:
One change I would've liked to see is map markers - instead I'm taking down notes for returning to areas on my 'phone. Laughing Also, a way to avoid missing scans. I failed to realise that the wasps in the Incinerator Drone fight were a different species and that's my 100% attempt gone.

I thought the same about map markers & btw scans don't count towards the true 100% just item pickups. (unless of course you really want that log book at 100%)
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4?   Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4? - Page 5 EmptyMon 13 Feb 2023 - 21:47

Oh I know, this ain't my first playthrough!  But while I managed 100% items back in the day (with the aid of heavy walkthrough abuse), I never got all the scans.  You could unlock concept art and stuff I thought?  

Actually, while we're nitpicking at the remaster: the constant messages about new unlocks in the Extras menu isn't what I'm about.  They break the immersion that little bit more than I'd like, and I just don't care about them. If I'm going to look at them at all it'll be when I'm done with the game and I can browse the full selection.

Anyway, I've invaded the Space Pirate labs in Phendrana.  I remember this also leading up to a super-creepy section, so that'll be fun. Pale
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4?   Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4? - Page 5 EmptyMon 13 Feb 2023 - 22:27

Oh yeah some scans definitely unlock concept art extras (I think) which is almost like an achievement system in a way & you can also turn off those extra alerts from the in game options.

Balla wrote:
Anyway, I've invaded the Space Pirate labs in Phendrana.  I remember this also leading up to a super-creepy section, so that'll be fun.  Pale

I had to give that bit a look on the OLED screen and it was amazing! I'm up to the phazon mines at the minute & of course it's the first place I died because of the real long section without any save rooms. DAMN YOU!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4?   Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4? - Page 5 EmptyMon 13 Feb 2023 - 23:26

I just got to the icey place, so this is by the furthest I've ever got in Prime.

After enjoying Dread, and liking this I'm excited about the Metroid GBA games coming to NSO+ also would like to play Samus Returns on 3DS though would have to find that at a good price.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4?   Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4? - Page 5 EmptyTue 14 Feb 2023 - 21:03

Was Dread your first Metroid game Mas?

The_Jaster wrote:
...you can also turn off those extra alerts from the in game options.

You can as well! Instant improvement. Thumbs Up!

I've just been immensely confused by a tree. Also the Chozo Ghosts are bloody annoying until you have the X-Ray Visor. Many Missiles lost.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4?   Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4? - Page 5 EmptyTue 14 Feb 2023 - 21:58

Yeah, Dread was the first I gave a proper go
Back to top Go down
Kriken
Layton's Apprentice
Kriken

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4?   Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4? - Page 5 EmptyWed 15 Feb 2023 - 15:01

To anybody who doesn't know, you can use super missiles on chozo ghosts. Regular missiles don't work but super missiles do and they do a lot of damage. Super missile + a charged shot will quickly dispatch them.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4?   Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4? - Page 5 EmptyFri 17 Feb 2023 - 18:35

I know, and I did, and they were still annoying. Now I've got the X-Ray Visor though... and they're still annoying. DAMN YOU!

Not lethal though. I'm into the final stretch of the game, got past that bit Jas talked about without dying once. Razz It feels weirdly easy, I've had to check several times that I'm not on casual difficulty. Even the big boss of the mines did a load of damage, them and their minions... but fell apart like wet tissue paper without me getting anywhere near death, despite wandering into the environmental hazards a couple of times. Is this just my past knowledge and muscle memory? Am I actually good at games now!? (No.)
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4?   Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4? - Page 5 EmptySat 18 Feb 2023 - 18:44

I'm playing on Casual because I'm a big jessie.

I haven't properly played this before - I have the Trilogy on Wii but I only played a few hours of Prime. I'm enjoying it! It's quite exciting because I didn't really have any interest in it when it came out on Gamecube because I really wasn't into the idea of first-person games full stop, and I didn't really know anything about Metroid (I had Fusion but I never got into it first time round - I saw the light a few years later). It feels like I'm playing it with a full understanding of how iconic the series is, and with a memory of how groundbreaking Prime was when it first came out - I remember reading the 97% review in NGC and wishing I was interested but knowing it just wasn't my jam.

I've just beaten the big Sheegoth and gotten the Wave Beam and now I'm going to go... somewhere else. Maybe Magmoor again?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4?   Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4? - Page 5 EmptyMon 20 Feb 2023 - 15:13

I think I was in a similar situation to you Rum, except I was swayed by the 97% (I thought 96%?) enough to get the game.  Even then, my stop-start play was no doubt partly because I wasn't that into anything that wasn't cartoon plumbers and/or animals at that point, and... well, partly because I was a big jessie.

This game making you do a Triforce Shards hunt at the end is quite funny. Laughing Anyway, I've finished it, albeit missing two missile expansions even after going back through the world with a walkthrough. Sad It's still really good, even if some of the flaws are a little bit more visible in the light of the modern day.  The penultimate boss was a lot harder than the final one!

Ending spoilers:

Oh, and of course it's stupid and bad that the original staff weren't in the credits.  The credits themselves are pretty dull and I'm typing this while they play, unskippable.  Moving at twice the pace with twice the names seems absolutely fine to me.

And going back to the main subject of the topic, the one thing I want to see in Prime 4 other than a game that apes what Prime 1 did is a feeling of one contiguous environment.  All the corridors prevent Prime 1 feeling like this.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4?   Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4? - Page 5 EmptyWed 22 Feb 2023 - 14:34

Finished up my remaster play through last night & yep this is still a classic!  Thumbs Up!

Balla wrote:
And going back to the main subject of the topic, the one thing I want to see in Prime 4 other than a game that apes what Prime 1 did is a feeling of one contiguous environment.  All the corridors prevent Prime 1 feeling like this.

I'm sure they will be more ambitious with the environment design in 4 but the corridors were placed there like that so bigger areas could actually load in on time.

For me the one thing I'd really like to see in 4 is more offensive options in combat, while I don't hate what Prime offers it can feel a little basic at times especially with the parry stuff in Samus returns/Dread fresh in the mind.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4?   Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4? - Page 5 EmptyFri 24 Feb 2023 - 20:15

Oh believe me I know, I have fond* memories of waiting by a door in a corridor while nothing happened for the room on the other side to load. Laughing

I'm actually pretty happy with what Prime offers in combat, and Samus having to stay further away from foes to be effective. If there's something I'd like to see used more it's the grapple beam. Perhaps you could use it to grab enemies and hurl them into walls, or each other... (drools)
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4?   Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4? - Page 5 EmptyFri 24 Feb 2023 - 22:31

Another way to use the grapple beam is exactly what I was thinking of, so shooting beams can stay as is & then they can maybe lean into secondary uses for some of her other ability upgrades?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4?   Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4? - Page 5 EmptyMon 27 Feb 2023 - 15:29

I don't know how much more I've got to go as just got the Plasma Beam. Would like to finish this game up, with 6 anniversary of Switch coming up which at least Balla & Myself will talk about, and got other games I'd like to play be it Kirby on Switch or stuff on PSVR2 or Andy's GOTY22 Midnight Suns etc.

On Prime I am enjoying it and as said above look forward to play Zero, Fusion on NSO GBA and Prime 4.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4?   Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4? - Page 5 EmptyTue 28 Feb 2023 - 6:53

I got a massive wave of nostalgia fighting the Sheegoths for that exact period in 2003; for some reason, the Sheegoths in Prime and the Doom 3 Pinky are very closely associated in my brain as "cool enemies I saw in shooting games in Magazines".
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4?   Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4? - Page 5 EmptyWed 1 Mar 2023 - 17:55

How are you finding it Buska? As ace as back in the day, or a little more aged?
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4?   Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4? - Page 5 EmptyThu 2 Mar 2023 - 6:58

I'm loving it, I just don't get a lot of time to game these days.
I don't think I ever even completed it back in the day; I may already be further than I ever got.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4?   Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4? - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Metroid Prime 4 - What are we waiting 4?
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5