We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)

Go down 
+5
ZeroJones
The_Jaster
Buskalilly
masofdas
Balladeer
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)   Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 EmptySun 3 Dec 2017 - 16:45

Turns out it took a while for me to finally get around to this properly, but here I am, complete with The Lady's old-style 3DS and claw-hands.

Samus feels wonderful, doesn't she? I've heard people question the controls, but she moves like a dream in my hands (no). The parry's glorious, natch, and I seem to be getting better at it.

Killed me first Metroid too. All good fun thus far.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)   Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 EmptySun 3 Dec 2017 - 16:53

You and your pianist's hands, able to adapt to (nearly) any control system... *groan, grouse, grumble*
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)   Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 EmptyMon 4 Dec 2017 - 20:50

The thing I'd forgotten was how stressful Metroid games felt. Whether it's the confines of the Chozo Ruins or the SA-X pursuing you in Fusion, or just the simple combination of ambient music and not being able to save everywhere... Let's just say I can't play it for almost an entire evening, like I can Mario or Zelda. Taking a break now!

I has five Metroids in my pocket. So the game has only just begun. It feels good, the first 2D Metroid I've properly given a chance to.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)   Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 EmptyMon 4 Dec 2017 - 21:09

Snowballadeer wrote:
The thing I'd forgotten was how stressful Metroid games felt.

That's a big part of what makes them so great, and so unique. One of the only places I've ever gotten a similar feeling is Da*is silenced by a precision snowball to the face which may or may not have had a rock at the centre*
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)   Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 EmptyMon 4 Dec 2017 - 21:36

YouKnowNothingJonSnowBalladeer wrote:
or just the simple combination of ambient music and not being able to save everywhere...

I found the amount of save points in Metroid: SR to be quite generous, at least compared to most other games in the series.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)   Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 EmptyTue 5 Dec 2017 - 21:27

Shocked
I'm about 3 hours in and had genuinely forgotten about the parry mechanic. I am bad at this.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)   Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 EmptyTue 5 Dec 2017 - 21:33

Laughing That's the best part of the game! Nicely done sir.

The_Jaster wrote:
I found the amount of save points in Metroid: SR to be quite generous, at least compared to most other games in the series.

They're not too bad, and when I died a couple of times I just got sent back to the start of the room. A generous game indeed, but it still feels stressful.

Drunkalilly wrote:
That's a big part of what makes them so great, and so unique. One of the only places I've ever gotten a similar feeling is Da-

Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 A220d043a779f753000ad55426d244d2
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)   Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 EmptyTue 5 Dec 2017 - 23:44

ASnowballamandeer wrote:
A generous game indeed, but it still feels stressful.

Getting sent to a planet to wipe out a life form that's threatening the universe isn't going to be a walk in the park though, is it?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)   Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 EmptyWed 6 Dec 2017 - 21:27

True, but neither should saving the world from the apocalypse be, and this is more stressful than BotW! (Apart from a couple of bits when I was underprepared for Lizalfos right near the start.)

It's got its claws in though (and is draining my life force Pale ). I've just swept through most of Area 2 in one sitting, now onto Area 3. Looks like the biggest area in the game...
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)   Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 EmptyFri 8 Dec 2017 - 22:32

Snowballadeer wrote:

Samus feels wonderful, doesn't she?  I've heard people question the controls, but she moves like a dream in my hands (no).  

I didn't have too much bother with the controls until one specific point - you'll know it when you get to it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)   Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 EmptyWed 13 Dec 2017 - 19:12

I don't think I've got there yet. I am, however, through to Area 4. I have more than half the game's Metroids!

The areas have felt a bit samey, to tell the truth, except when they've gone lava-ish. I think the unremarkable non-music might contribute to that.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)   Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 EmptyMon 18 Dec 2017 - 21:49

Double post, but I wanted to confirm what we all already knew: that Jay is bad at games. Razz I just beat that boss, and while it was hard (satisfyingly so) I didn't have any problem with that particular control aspect.

Did u no:

And after that and all of those mini-bosses, I can now Space Jump like a pro!  Now that's fiddly.

Last edited by Snowballadeer on Tue 19 Dec 2017 - 8:59; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)   Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 EmptyMon 18 Dec 2017 - 22:53

So that's the both of us admins, then. Nice. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)   Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 EmptyTue 19 Dec 2017 - 21:40

Blew through the penultimate area, I believe (at times literally).  I'm into the endgame.  It's been fun, but I have slightly rushed the latter stages. Neutral

EDIT: Last area!

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)   Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 EmptyThu 21 Dec 2017 - 19:18

Snowballadeer wrote:
Double post, but I wanted to confirm what we all already knew: that Jay is bad at games. Razz I just beat that boss, and while it was hard (satisfyingly so) I didn't have any problem with that particular control aspect.

Ohhhh, that's not the bit I was on about! He was a tough cookie, but I was on about:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)   Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 EmptyThu 21 Dec 2017 - 19:46

Oh. Oh yes, that was bloomin' awful. But a rare black mark on an otherwise pretty good game! Which - yes - I have finished.

Controversial opinion:
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)   Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 EmptyThu 21 Dec 2017 - 20:06

I agree with your controversial opinion. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)   Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 EmptyThu 21 Dec 2017 - 20:14

Agreed, but he was still somewhat tricky!

What are your overall thoughts on the game, Balla?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)   Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 EmptyThu 21 Dec 2017 - 20:28

Good! A strong sign-off for my 3DS days. As I said in the LGYF thread, I thought it lacked charm just a tad - the two things I can trace that back to are a lack of lore, like the Primes offered through their scanning, and the lack of tuneful music for much of the game. That latter point is also a reason I felt that environments merged into one another a little, in a way Phendrana and Magmoor (say) never would.

But the gameplay's very strong. Samus was a joy to control (other than that bit), the combat was great, the game had perfectly pitched difficulty, the rare bosses were great to fight, and
endgame:
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)   Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 EmptyThu 21 Dec 2017 - 20:51

Snowballadeer wrote:
 That latter point is also a reason I felt that environments merged into one another a little, in a way Phendrana and Magmoor (say) never would.  

That's a good point - nothing stood out like those two areas. Hopefully some area variance is something we'll see in MP4!
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)   Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 EmptyThu 21 Dec 2017 - 22:51

What did you's make of the Aeion abilities? I really liked the extra layer they added on top of the standard pick ups, loved the beam burst as it would absolutely shred certain enemies and bosses & the scan pulse was much better than just finding a map station as well.

I personally hope the latter returns in MP4 as I'd like to see if it could work in a 3d environment.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)   Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 EmptyThu 21 Dec 2017 - 23:22

The scan pulse got a wee bit tiresome towards the end of the journey, so I'd like to see that refined in some way. The barrier was a neat crutch for me at points, so props for including that.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)   Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 EmptySat 23 Dec 2017 - 17:02

They're other Metroid abilities, aren't they? I largely forgot about three of them when I didn't have to use them. The Scan Pulse did a job, and I used the yellow rapid-fire wotsit in the final battle. They're a'right.
Back to top Go down
stu_the_great
Stability Update
stu_the_great

PostSubject: Re: Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)   Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 EmptyTue 14 Sep 2021 - 8:46

Bar a little exploration and a couple of orange spike puzzles I haven't worked out yet, I'm onto the final boss of this game and I've enjoyed it very much. Samus handles well, the dynamic cutscenes are just infrequent enough to enjoy, and I particularly like the bits where it zooms into the visceral action of boss battles for extra drama.

Only real things I can criticise are the 3DS circle pad in extended play sessions (hardly a fault of the game), and some of the longer boss battles that gate off progression behind the quicktime events - not a dealbreaker, but it's annoying to have to start a phase again essentially because you missed a cue. Successfully acing it is gratifying, however.

I'd say the game is pretty much the ideal length, though maybe one or two more varieties of the smallest mutated Metroid types would've been appreciated, as you get good at those early encounters quite quickly. Also: I miss the Speed Booster for late-game exploration - Samus starts to feel a wee bit slow when you've learned the maps.

All in all, I'm even more stoked now for Dread! Can't believe how long it's been since the last "proper" Metroid game.

Last edited by stu_the_great on Tue 14 Sep 2021 - 10:02; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)   Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 EmptyTue 14 Sep 2021 - 8:57

I just polished off the "Zero Mission" part of Zero Mission, so I'll be making a start on this soon. You've made that sound a very exciting prospect indeed!
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)   Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?) - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Metroid - Samus Returns (Game For This, Boy?)
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next