We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3

Go down 
+11
The Cappuccino Kid
OrangeRakoon
Treesmurf
Crumpy Andy
gjones
ZeroJones
Jimbob
The_Jaster
Muss
JayMoyles
masofdas
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 20 ... 30  Next
AuthorMessage
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 EmptySat 2 Feb 2019 - 17:46

Nah, I still try and rinse a game of all its content, for better or worse. It's a tough habit to break!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 EmptySat 2 Feb 2019 - 22:15

If you're enjoying it then can only be a good thing as you get more value out of your game.

Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 EmptySun 3 Feb 2019 - 10:09

I actually had a decent discussion on twitter recently that basically boiled down to that not enough folk replay their favourite games over and over in the same way that they watch their favourite TV shows or films. Beyond Sekiro there's not much that I need to play on day one so I'm going to try my best this year to play stuff at my own pace and more importantly if I feel like it replay the games I really really enjoy.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 EmptySun 3 Feb 2019 - 10:20

That's a interesting thought, I rarely rewatch a TV series beyond maybe Simpsons as it's on when I have dinner at work but films yep do rewatch.

I'm thinking it comes down to lengths as a film is about 2hrs compared to how long a game is, then does that game you may remember being great you go replay might not hold up, where a film is more than likely will.

Guess in this case a remaster works well, as you may replay a game and likely will hold up better with modern improvements.

Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 EmptySun 3 Feb 2019 - 10:53

My tastes have definitely changed a lot. As a kid, I rarely compelted anything except Pokemon games - I would play until my first difficulty spike then get bored and move elsewhere. That changed around the time of the DS.

In more recent years, I've discovered I enjoy many more genres than I thought, and I've also become much more patient with longer, slower games - see the fact that I've played through six Ace Attorney games and Hotel Dusk in the past year or two.
masofdas wrote:

I would gather the likes of Drunka this might be playing more portable games with his travels in Japan.

I've actually always been a big portable gamer, owing to the fact that for most of my childhood + when I moved home before Japan I lived in one-TV households.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 EmptySun 3 Feb 2019 - 10:54

masofdas wrote:
That's a interesting thought, I rarely rewatch a TV series beyond maybe Simpsons as it's on when I have dinner at work but films yep do rewatch.

The only TV show I rewatch is Game of Thrones: I watched it through before season 7, and I'm super excited to watch it all again with Shen and then watch season 8.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 EmptySun 3 Feb 2019 - 10:56

mas wrote:
I'm thinking it comes down to lengths as a film is about 2hrs compared to how long a game is, then does that game you may remember being great you go replay might not hold up, where a film is more than likely will.

Length is definitely a factor for some games but you'd think they more you play a game the better you get at it so your average play time would come down by a lot.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 EmptySun 3 Feb 2019 - 11:01

I think moving on to the next game quickly goes with the rate of releases being so high, there's a new game that I'm sure I'd enjoy every other week these days whereas in the past I'd replay a game time and time again because I was waiting for the next thing to come along.

I'd also say a big factor for me which actually stops me returning to cetain games is trophies/achievements. Sure I'll play a game to the point of getting 100% but once that's done I don't feel compelled to return after that point. It's something that makes me glad I've Nintendo haven't started doing them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 EmptySun 3 Feb 2019 - 11:02

The_Jaster wrote:
Length is definitely a factor for some games but you'd think they more you play a game the better you get at it so your average play time would come down by a lot.

You say that, but Ornstein and Smough are kicking my butt on Switch. I remember I absolutely breezed them on XBox. My skills have diminished with old age and not playing enough Souls . . .
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 EmptySun 3 Feb 2019 - 11:14

Drunkalilly wrote:
The_Jaster wrote:

You say that, but Ornstein and Smough are kicking my butt on Switch. I remember I absolutely breezed them on XBox. My skills have diminished with old age and not playing enough Souls . . .

True, it isn't always easy to get that perfect run especially in a souls game.

My Switch copy of DaS is still sealed so I think I might set aside some time for that in the next few weeks or so.

---

Also your new avatar made me think you were Jay. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 EmptySun 3 Feb 2019 - 13:06

My tastes have undergone subtle shifts without changing massively: the last really big shift was when I got Wind Waker on the GameCube and decided that actually I like Zelda games. This opened my tastes up to other RPGs. Other changes I can think of:
  • Less forgiving of traditional turn-based JRPGs than I used to be;
  • More inclined to look twice at retraux-style games;
  • More inclined to look twice at 2D platformers, or visual novel-type gamesl
  • Interested in 'non-traditional control schemes' so long as they're well-handled;
  • Less interested in new Mario RPGs, but frankly that's the developers' fault.

But in most aspects my tastes have barely changed since perhaps the GC. Still not fond of grim games, still value exploration, still like seeing numbers go up, still don't like impactful choice.

The_Jaster wrote:
I actually had a decent discussion on twitter recently that basically boiled down to that not enough folk replay their favourite games over and over in the same way that they watch their favourite TV shows or films.

I'm very much not inclined to do either! I want the new experiences, and goodness knows I'm not short of them. Even when I acquire a remaster of a great game, like Okami or TWEWY, I struggle to play it (apart from Mario & Luigi: for some reason I've always found the Mario RPGs have great replay value for me. The good ones anyway).
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 EmptySun 3 Feb 2019 - 14:56

See having no achievements or trophies with games on Switch is another reason why I prefer getting on the other two as I feel I'm getting more game in a weird way and take Res Evil 2 which inspired this chat.

Now I do have Leon to play as anyway which I could play on standard as I did with Claire, I could do hardcore which there is a hardcore achievement but also thinking about doing on assisted as I get to play as Leon and I feel I could do the no item box achievement and no using health items achievements in that difficulty, which is another way to play the game.

Then I could come back again and do in hardcore for those achievements and could even get quick enough for S rank like Jas brings up, the question is do I want to replay the game that much and really no as I could be using that time for new experiences.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 EmptySun 3 Feb 2019 - 14:58

Lack of cheevos and trophs is actually in the Switch's pro column for me.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 EmptySun 3 Feb 2019 - 15:01

I can see why as I've just overcomplicated Res Evil 2 because of them and Spyro I just bought on PS4 over Xbox One as it has rather doable platinum's then instead just buying on whatever I'm playing on and just playing the game how I want.

Also, I'm still pissed about the ending trophy in Persona 5 not popping.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 EmptySun 3 Feb 2019 - 19:33

Smash has shown me once again why it’s a good idea that I never be exposed to achievement systems for games I like...
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 EmptyMon 4 Feb 2019 - 10:46

Drunkalilly wrote:
Lack of cheevos and trophs is actually in the Switch's pro column for me.

Same here. Achievements are immersion breaking and anxiety inducing. Imagine if Breath of the Wild had achievements, it would have cheapened a lot of the exploration and discovery.

On replaying old games, it definitely does just come down to time. I can rewatch my most-loved films in 2 hours, so one evening, but if I want to replay Skies of Arcadia then I need to put aside weeks of my life for it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 EmptyMon 4 Feb 2019 - 22:29

I used to replay my favourites all the time back in the day, but nowadays I'd rather play something new. I've replayed a few games - TWEWY is the first that comes to mind - when they've been rereleased on modern platforms, but it's not something I'd be rushing to do.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 EmptyMon 4 Feb 2019 - 22:39

That's something I've been excited about when we get a game come to Xbox One via backwards compatibility, especially if it's X Enhanced. It's like a reminder and ohh I've not played that for 5 years, I might play again when it comes to a newer machine.

Not sure I'll have that with PS5 or Xbox Scarlett, if they're just Backwards Compatible from the get go, which is clearly better but just don't think I would go back to infamous on PS4 knowing it's just there, then infamous is now PS5 compatible.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 EmptyTue 5 Feb 2019 - 12:41

I think it's definitely about striking a balance of playing new and old games, but the person who brought it up was more pointing out how it's a shame that replaying old favourites rarely happens and how even games that folk really love can feel throwaway in comparison.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 EmptyTue 5 Feb 2019 - 18:56

The balance for me is All New All The Time, but I'd definitely not say that the games I've played feel throwaway. They live on in my memories, on my gaming shelf/SD Card, and of course in the discussion here. That's a thing I like about the vote threads, actually: resurrecting some gems. I'm hoping Cappa's 3DS thread will do the same.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 EmptyThu 11 Apr 2019 - 18:48

MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 Screen-Shot-2019-04-10-at-12.11.04-PM

Excellent.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 EmptySat 27 Apr 2019 - 22:21

I recently saw Apex has sort of fallen off a cliff in terms of a BR and LoL is back on top on twitch.

Which I remember lot's of peeps were having a go at doing a moba, is the br genre just the new moba?
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 EmptySun 28 Apr 2019 - 7:39

I'm still having a lot of fun with Apex Legends, but do I think it needs other things to chase or do? Yep I do, the other day I hit 100% in the trophies list and that now leaves me with basically 2 things to do 1) play for wins and 2) trying to master each character. I'm OK with doing this for now but most people won't have the patience for it & will want new content at a quicker pace which is why it's probably dropped off in popularity.

That content will come in a few months & I'm sure a chunk of those player will return to playing it, the fact that Respawn don't want to work their team into the ground to keep that popularity has to be applauded.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-04-25-apex-legends-sticking-to-seasonal-content-updates-because-respawn-doesnt-want-to-overwork-the-team
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 EmptySun 28 Apr 2019 - 7:53

Wouldn't the goal now be to keep leveling up base game and seasonal level. Respawn have to be applauded, especially when you here about the state of Epic on Fortnite.

Just it looked a bit like we've got a few BR games that are doing well and I can see a couple of them continuing to do so but any new ones not getting much traction much like with MOBAs and Arena/Hero Shooters.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 EmptySun 28 Apr 2019 - 8:22

mas wrote:
Wouldn't the goal now be to keep leveling up base game and seasonal level.

The leveling grind in Apex is not good as it's just designed to tempt you into buying stuff & it only gets worse the higher your level, I'm over 60 now and it takes 3 or 4 levels just to get one apex pack. I also didn't buy the battle pass so the seasonal level and unlocks mean even less to me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3
Page 10 of 30Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 20 ... 30  Next