We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Paper Mario: The Origami King

Go down 
+8
JayMoyles
Buskalilly
gjones
Balladeer
masofdas
Rum
The_Jaster
The Cappuccino Kid
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

Paper Mario: The Origami King Empty
PostSubject: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King EmptyThu 14 May 2020 - 14:13

The rumours were true! Out on July 17th!
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King EmptyThu 14 May 2020 - 14:23

This was a nice wee surprise, and the bit at the end of the trailer made me smile. Smile Also I guess if they have a few more announcements like this then the rest year won't look so bad after all.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King EmptyThu 14 May 2020 - 14:33

WHAT? Yass! I love the Paper Mario series (even Colour Splash! No I never played Sticker Star). I am super excited for this!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King EmptyThu 14 May 2020 - 15:39

Looks good and something for me to look forward to on Switch part from Deadly Premonition 2.

Hoping we see the Mario remasters soon
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King EmptyThu 14 May 2020 - 18:55

Ohboyohboyohboy. Okay. Breathe, Balla, breathe...

So, my first thoughts were, 'No flipping way!' A sizeable game, in two months... Clearly meant to be a June Direct announcement, but I presumed they cancelled that because they had nothing to show. This... this is something to show.

Once that was out of the way, I started desperately scouring the trailer for any signs of Sticker Star-itis I could find. There's no sign of anything sticker or paint-like in battle, and the HP changes throughout the trailer hint at stat. boosts? Maaaaaybe through levelling up? It's hard to tell at this stage. Also, although you do have companions (foldy Bowser, exploration Toad, grumpy bomb) we haven't seen any sign of them in battle yet. Do they just come along for the story? I hope not.

I remain unsure about the character designs. The origami fellas are obviously a step away from 'USE MARIO CHARACTERS AND ONLY MARIO CHARACTERS', but we had Kersti/Huey in the previous games in any case; and apart from maybe Toad's hat and the origamis, the newbies don't look too interesting to be honest. Still, foldy Bowser made me laugh.

Other good signs: a squadron of paper planes! Using a Kuribo's Shoe car to drive through the desert! The ship! A town with Snifits, presumably for buying stuff! A crowd for the battles! Origami Peach being really creepy.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Give me some levelling up, or a few interesting character designs, and I'll be all in. At the moment I'd guess the former's more likely... We'll see.

also you do realise the lack of topic subtitle is just going to result in more punny taglines I hope
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King EmptyThu 14 May 2020 - 18:59

This looks brilliant! Good to see them embrace the paper side of it, with puns aplenty. It's also a perfect example of Nintendo being Nintendo. While PS5 and Xbox discuss graphics and cinematic new experiences - Ninty just drop a video of pure fun and character. Unannounced. And it releases in 2 months' time!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King EmptyThu 14 May 2020 - 19:02

Ha, yes. 'Unreal Engine 5 will allow you to spot the grains in individual pebbles as your...' 'Nah stuff that, make the pebbles out of paper.' Laughing

gjones wrote:
Good to see them embrace the paper side of it, with puns aplenty.

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King EmptyThu 14 May 2020 - 22:47

gjones wrote:
This looks brilliant! Good to see them embrace the paper side of it, with puns aplenty. It's also a perfect example of Nintendo being Nintendo. While PS5 and Xbox discuss graphics and cinematic new experiences - Ninty just drop a video of pure fun and character. Unannounced. And it releases in 2 months' time!

That's why both is great Nintendo is the fun Disney Pixar movie and PlayStation with something like Ghost of Tsushima is the Oscar-bait sort of movie.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King EmptyFri 15 May 2020 - 8:55

"Will you crease yourself like me and be reborn" is possibly the single greatest line in anything so far this year, so I'm BANG UP for this.

masofdas wrote:
PlayStation with something like Ghost of Tsushima is the Oscar-bait sort of movie.

Pharaoh
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King EmptyFri 15 May 2020 - 10:41

Also: allows for many cricket-related puns on being ‘at the crease’!

(crickets) (not that kind)
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King EmptyFri 15 May 2020 - 18:46

This was a surprise and a half, eh? I've missed out on the supposed dark era of Paper Mario, so it's been some time since I've dabbled with the series. Very game for this!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King EmptyFri 15 May 2020 - 21:47

I didn't think Sticker Star or Colour Splash were that bad at all, but they're not the same quality as the N64 original (didn't really stay with the GameCube and Wii ones). I'll give the Switch one a go too, but I'm looking forward to more information.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King EmptyFri 15 May 2020 - 21:54

Colour Splash wasn't quite the same calibre as the others (though I can't speak for Sticker Star because, as I say, I never played it) but I still really enjoyed it and thought it was a lot of fun. Thousand Year Door is still the pinnacle for me, but I really loved Super Paper Mario too.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King EmptyFri 15 May 2020 - 21:57

I think I'll get this, as it looks more varied than previous titles. I recently completed Super Paper Mario and I'd be less keen to play through the same type of experience, but the trailer for this has a LOT going on. Feels like it may be the most diverse installment, gameplay-wise.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King EmptySat 16 May 2020 - 8:00

Super Paper Mario is the only one I've finished. I did bounce off sticker star, to be fair.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King EmptySat 16 May 2020 - 8:03

From what I understand this is from intelligent systems (don't know who did last few, could be them) and been their main thing as Koei did Three Houses with IS only overseeing.

That I'm hoping with IS seemingly putting all their time into this that it is great.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King EmptySat 16 May 2020 - 10:09

Apparently, Paper Mario and Paper Mario: TLDR were developed by Intelligent Systems. Super Paper Mario was developed by IS and one other studio. Sticker Star and Colour Splash were Intelligent Systems and TWO other developers.

Origami King is just Intelligent Systems again. Good, I guess?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King EmptySat 16 May 2020 - 10:29

Guessing TLDR is TTYD?

Yeah hopefully the later ones much like Three Houses, they were just overseeing them but lot's of studios is a common thing working on one game now as take Assassin's Creed Valhalla 15 studios working on that.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King EmptySat 16 May 2020 - 11:04

I presume that was a witticism referencing Cappa's views on TTYD. Anyway, I now have yet more hopes that this is going to be a belter!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King EmptySat 16 May 2020 - 11:35

masofdas wrote:
ot's of studios is a common thing working on one game now as take Assassin's Creed Valhalla 15 studios working on that.

Yeah, but it massively dilutes any sense of personality, or authorship, or artistic value. I mean, Assassin's Creed it literally the go-to example of a soulless modern game!

Balladeer wrote:
I presume that was a witticism referencing Cappa's views on TTYD.

It means what you want it to mean. Was it a joke about the game's length, or the excessive amount of discussion the game has generated, overshadowing future entries regardless of their actual quality? Maybe I was referring to the fact that the game contains text and making a damning statement about the illiteracy of modern culture. Maybe I just spotted that the acronym was a chance for a cheap gag and that was what came to mind.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King EmptySat 16 May 2020 - 14:23

I might be wrong but the modern Assassin's Creed games seem to be decent and Valhalla looks decent but might be slightly more generic big blockbuster movie feel about it.

Ahh I get now about TTYD, it's Melee of Paper Mario's.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King EmptySat 16 May 2020 - 15:05

I dunno if I would say TTYD was the Melee of Paper Marios really - it's just that it and the original were the closest to RPGs before SPM took it off in a new direction, and ever since they've all felt a bit more experimental, and a lot of folk want to see a more 'classic' Mario RPG again. Experimentation is good! Just different. And Smash Bros is fundamentally always the same game.

I will be looking at it through rose-tinted glasses to a degree, but it is genuinely a really good game!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King EmptySat 16 May 2020 - 20:18

masofdas wrote:

Ahh I get now about TTYD, it's Melee of Paper Mario's.

As in it was the Gamecube installment of the series? Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King EmptySat 16 May 2020 - 20:20

No because like Melee it’s the best one and it should go back to like it was
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King EmptySat 16 May 2020 - 23:43

Rum wrote:
Experimentation is good! Just different.

This.

I'd much rather they do that than pump out what the fans think they want because the majority of the time we are wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King Empty

Back to top Go down

Paper Mario: The Origami King
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next