We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Paper Mario: The Origami King

Go down 
+8
JayMoyles
Buskalilly
gjones
Balladeer
masofdas
Rum
The_Jaster
The Cappuccino Kid
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 3 EmptyThu 18 Jun 2020 - 22:44

masofdas wrote:
I've cancelled mine, as lot's of games coming and next gen this year that I'm only going to get mainly big games or a few indies etc
Paper Mario is a big game!

Not sure if I should watch that trailer now, I started to watch it and it looked spoilerific so turned it straight off but these impressions have me doubting it. Neutral
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
EofGizmo
FMK Tagline
EofGizmo

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 3 EmptySat 20 Jun 2020 - 23:00

I like the look of what I've seen so far. I loved Colour Splash though so im less worried about it having to play like the original or TTYD 😅
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 3 EmptyMon 22 Jun 2020 - 18:36

I've... cancelled my preorder. There was another trailer I saw on Facebook that might just have been a cut-out of a previous trailer in which they showed the aftermath of a battle. It's coins raining down with no sign of exp.

I hope everyone who buys it likes it, but I can't help hoping that the game itself flops. Aww!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 3 EmptyMon 22 Jun 2020 - 19:56

I'm still onside with this. I remember saying in Balladeer's Positive Gaming Opinions thread that I felt Intelligent Systems should keep going with this more action-orientated style of gameplay for Paper Mario. Personally, I'm glad that this is the direction they seem to be going. 

The battles in Sticker Star and Colour Splash were mostly pointless though. Surely they can't make that mistake three times in a row...right? There's surely got to be some sort of exp.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 3 EmptyMon 22 Jun 2020 - 20:34

Depending on what you use the coins for they could essentially be exp, couldn't they?
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 3 EmptyTue 23 Jun 2020 - 14:10

Yep, they could potentially be used to buy upgrades to make battling easier, which would effectively be a form of experience points.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 3 EmptyThu 25 Jun 2020 - 18:15

From what I've read, Mario has weapons that then break, so you buy new ones. The BotW and ACNH parallels are obvious, but this feels a lot like stickers/paint under another slightly different guise to me. Suspect
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 3 EmptyThu 25 Jun 2020 - 18:20

Balladeer wrote:
Mario has weapons that then break, so you buy new ones.

Pass but does mean if I'm getting a Switch game soon it be Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing In Disguise then out of these two
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 3 EmptyWed 15 Jul 2020 - 15:10

The review embargo has lifted, and pretty much all the usual websites have uploaded their thoughts. Generally speaking, it's reviewing well, though it doesn't have any sort of RPG mechanics or an EXP system, and I know that's probably what most folk would have wanted.

Not me though, I wanted a better version of Colour Splash, and this sounds like it.  Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 3 EmptyWed 15 Jul 2020 - 15:22

Yeah, that's what I wanted from it and I would guess so did Balla.

Does sound like the rest is good that if I see cheap and want more of guess action platformer thing then might check it out, especially as August is awful across of all gaming imo.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 3 EmptyWed 15 Jul 2020 - 18:51

I would have liked TTYD2, but I also enjoyed Colour Splash so am more than happy with CS2. Though I'll probably leave it a while before getting it because my pursestrings are tight and I should try and finish a couple of games first!
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 3 EmptyWed 15 Jul 2020 - 20:15

Rum Rapture wrote:
I'll probably leave it a while before getting it because my pursestrings are tight and I should try and finish a couple of games first!

This echoes my thoughts. It looks great and I'm not too fussed by the RPG system - I was a fan of Super Paper Mario and it's good to see Nintendo trying another spin on the turn-based approach. But yeah, maybe one for later in the year, as my backlog has grown (currently halfway through Luigi's Mansion 3 which I'm hooked on).
Back to top Go down
EofGizmo
FMK Tagline
EofGizmo

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 3 EmptyWed 15 Jul 2020 - 22:25

I genuinely loved Colour Splash so 100% picking this up on Friday! Some more rpg stuff would be great but if the game is fun that's all that matters to me.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 3 EmptyThu 16 Jul 2020 - 20:03

Balladeer wrote:
I hope everyone who buys it likes it, but I can't help hoping that the game itself flops. Aww!

This applies more than ever.

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
The battles in Sticker Star and Colour Splash were mostly pointless though. Surely they can't make that mistake three times in a row...right? There's surely got to be some sort of exp.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Also, if you want to know why the series is hot trash these days, this interview with its development team goes into some details. Basically: no more interesting characters until Nintendo change their minds, Kensuke Tanabe's at fault for the lack of interesting plots, and Miyamoto gets things badly wrong sometimes.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 3 EmptyThu 16 Jul 2020 - 20:25

Remember Cube? You're Cube.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 3 EmptyThu 16 Jul 2020 - 20:27

HOW VERY DARE YOU

(I have no idea what that implies. Shifty )
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 3 EmptyThu 16 Jul 2020 - 23:40

balla wrote:
Basically: no more interesting characters until Nintendo change their minds, Kensuke Tanabe's at fault for the lack of interesting plots, and Miyamoto gets things badly wrong sometimes.

From several reviews I've seen it sounds like the characters and story is one of the best parts though.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 3 EmptyFri 17 Jul 2020 - 9:02

It does but Paper Mario series is meant to be a RPG series but as I guess more than half aren't any more I guess it's now a light action adventure game series or something.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 3 EmptyFri 17 Jul 2020 - 10:12

Then surely it's fair to judge it on what it is now rather than what it used to be 16 years ago.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 3 EmptyFri 17 Jul 2020 - 10:17

I guess but look as Res Evil was survival horror went to 3rd person shooter back to survival horror that same can happen to Paper Mario and must be more examples of games that started in one genre then moved away then went back.

I still might check the game out as from what I've seen coming out my eyes are on PS5 in November that between now & then it's backlog or things like this.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 3 EmptyFri 17 Jul 2020 - 10:46

masofdas wrote:
It does but Paper Mario series is meant to be a RPG series

(citation needed)
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 3 EmptyFri 17 Jul 2020 - 11:47

Excellent points by Jaster and Run Rapture there. 👍🏻
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 3 EmptyFri 17 Jul 2020 - 12:02

Paper Mario might be Nintendo's strangest series, because its identity is all over the place.

Is it fair to say Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door are story-driven RPG games with paper aesthetics, whilst Super Paper Mario onwards are Paper-gimmick-driven games with RPG elements? That's how I view the series at least.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 3 EmptyFri 17 Jul 2020 - 18:32

Not even sure about the RPG elements at this point.

The_Jaster wrote:
From several reviews I've seen it sounds like the characters and story is one of the best parts though.  

From what I've read it's the characters and the writing, which is slightly different. It sounds like it's comedic from moment to moment, but doesn't have the same build that TTYD did. Tanabe specifically says he didn't want that.

I was slightly surprised to read that there are good characters though. Part of any good character has to be the design for me: our appearances do reflect our personalities, especially in fiction. "Show don't tell" is one of the main rules of good writing of any kind. Nintendo has outright prevented that, with the exceptions of the Legion of Stationery (the pencil case wasn't exactly a glimmering example) and Olivia who reminds me too much of Kersti from Sticker Star. I'm willing to admit that I'm wrong - I just find it hard to believe.

The_Jaster wrote:
Then surely it's fair to judge it on what it is now rather than what it used to be 16 years ago.

Hang on: until this game, we had no majority style to say, "You have to expect the best within this specific formula." We had two full RPGs, one RPG-platformer, two... whatever this shite is, and the full RPG spin-off that was Paper Jam. Based on that it's not unreasonable to be disappointed about the formula that Origami King has taken, with the majority of games prior to PMOK still being RPGs or RPG-ish (there's your citation Rum). At this point I think we have to expect that the next one will be Sticker Star 4 though.

I fully admit that I'll never move on past TTYD - it's my third favourite game of all time, after all, and big parts of that are the parts they've omitted. Even beyond that, though, the latest trilogy has been built on a flawed premise: that of battles that don't give any permanent bonus when won. "What it is now" is always going to carry that baggage and always deserves criticism for that. Better off to ditch the non-boss battles entirely for the rest of the series and make it a papery walking sim if they're going to carry on like this.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 3 EmptyFri 17 Jul 2020 - 18:54

Remember how we were saying that I don't jump into Xenoblade threads just to say it's shite? Aye, you're doing that here.

You're not arsed about giving this a chance anyway, so why are you actually rattled here? I'm not bothered about an answer, I just think you should post in a different thread for something you enjoy, and be happier with your gaming.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King   Paper Mario: The Origami King - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Paper Mario: The Origami King
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next