We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Switch Pro Speculation Thread

Go down 
+11
OrangeRakoon
Muss
The_Jaster
masofdas
Jimbob
Buskalilly
The Cappuccino Kid
Treesmurf
Kriken
gjones
Balladeer
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

4k on telly, nicer screen, frame rates tidied up, home screen music. £300. Would you?
Yep, give me that Pro!
Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap67%Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 67% [ 8 ]
I'd wait for a sale/bundle.
Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Not right now, but maybe down the line...
Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap25%Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 25% [ 3 ]
Switch Pro is a bad idea and I hope it doesn't happen.
Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 8% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12

AuthorMessage
neil
Wii U Port
neil

Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu 11 Mar 2021 - 13:35

I found the tweet thread with the rumour that Revelations 3 will be a timed Switch exclusive.

Dusk Golem wrote:
This is not from me, but for the record, Revelations 3 is coming out within a year of Village's release date, either late 2020 or early 2021. It probably won't be called Rev 3, the name we know it as is "Resident Evil Outrage", but it was Rev 3 at one point in dev at the very least. Releases as part of their 25th anniversary celebrations, along with Village, almost definitely going to be a Switch timed exclusive.

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1360760558962634755?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1360760558962634755%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu 11 Mar 2021 - 19:38

I'm genuinely surprised at how skewed the poll is. Thought more people would be holding off for now for the content I suggested. I've discovered that my Switch has some plastic breaking off around the fan vents, pushing this to more of a 'no-brainer' status for me!

Balladeer wrote:
Muss wrote:
Making exclusives doesn't shaft anybody though.

This argument assumes that the teams developing the exclusives wouldn't be making anything else with that time and with those resources, doesn't it?  Surely if teams are spending time and money and manpower on making exclusives, it's reasonable to assume they'd otherwise be making games for the base Switch, so base Switch owners are getting shafted that way?  You might have to weigh that up against the extra costs from point 2, but I think it's fair to say those would be less.

At this stage I'm not overly troubled if there are exclusives.  When people were yelling about the Switch Pro two years in, I was thinking that'd be bobbins if devs suddenly devoted their resources to Switch-only games.  At this point, I think it's fair enough.  If I own a base Switch I may be indirectly getting shafted, but if I'm a PS4 owner who doesn't upgrade to a PS5 I have a similar problem, and the timescale difference isn't super huge.

Muss wrote:
Is that a Nintendo way of looking at things? I know third party support on Switch is sporadic, but in theory a more powerful switch would encourage more ports from the other consoles that wouldn't make it to the regular switch?

Equally, with a Switch pro exclusive, you open up the possibility of games that just wouldn't work on the regular Switch. It looks like Bowser's Fury is at the edge of what the Switch can do. Is trying to push beyond that shafting Switch users, or is it just offering people something new?

In retrospect, that's a very Nintendo way of looking at things, yep. You're right that even if Nintendo make fewer games for the base Switch we should get more third-party ports of big games on the Switch Pro. So Switch base owners are still getting shafted in that regard, but Switch Pro upgraders are benefiting even further. I was approaching it from the point of view of someone who just doesn't care about most of those big third-party games, and is happy to wait until the Switch 2 for others, but who's clamouring for more Nintendo exclusives. Possibly fair to say I'm in the minority there!

As for the second bit... I dunno, I think the last-gen BotW has still 'pushed beyond' most existing Switch games. If a big Nintendo game became Switch Pro-exclusive, who's to say they wouldn't have made something very like it for the base Switch had a Pro not existed? It's very likely, and in that regard the base owner does lose out. I do agree that at this stage in the machine's lifecycle it could do with an upgrade, and Switch owners would have to be quite odd to demand that everything still be released for their base unit.

The other slight concern is that Nintendo seems to take longer over more powerful games, hence the release schedule discrepancy between Switch and, say, Wii/DS (the bit that can't be explained by COVID anyway). Maybe a more powerful machine would help speed that process up? Maybe in striving for newly unlocked heights things would get even slower? Confused
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri 12 Mar 2021 - 13:24

I suppose it kind of comes down to, what would shaft people the least whilst benefitting Pro users the most?

Certainly with the ongoing effects of COVID very much still impacting game development, anything that makes games take longer to make is probably the worst thing that could happen from my own selfish perspective.

In addition, we've seen the PS5 and computer parts in high demand with short supply. I don't want the Switch Pro or a Switch 2 to suffer from that. Anything that makes the scalpers win is a lose for everyone else.

So in that regard, I'd probably prefer a Pro model that's strictly about upscaling games to 4k, maybe has a better battery, better screen that sort of thing, but it's ultimately hardware that at a fundamental level is really designed to just make Switch games look a bit prettier, or run a bit smoother. If only because that might be seen as less of a scalpers paradise than a new console. But there's just a balance there I think, between what the iterative model can do against the old one, and in the end we'll just have to wait for something official before we really know what balance Nintendo have struck. My selfish ideal would be a new Switch without any supply issues, but again, especially with COVID in mind, is this really the time for one?

I don't know anything about development really, and obviously Nintendo have taken longer to make games the more powerful their hardware has become. There is a pressure on them to produce games with that Nintendo quality; the polish, the smoothness and all that. So maybe things are taking longer because they want Mario et. al to continue being at the front of the pack on the Switch. But maybe, because they're hard capped by the hardware, they have to work harder to get more out of it? Maybe a more powerful system would give them more wriggle room and less of a need to optimise their code?

Obviously that could be bollocks but it seems somewhat plausible (although equally they could just as easily strive for the edge of whatever kit they're given).
Back to top Go down
neil
Wii U Port
neil

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri 12 Mar 2021 - 13:57

It's all about continuing to sell systems if you ask me. History says Switch sales have peaked or will peak this year, so Nintendo needs something new. At least Switch owners have a lot of games to choose from, and if the Pro is a new 3DS type situation, new Nintendo games are mostly gonna run on the old Switch.

I wouldn't want to be buying my first OG Switch right now though. If the Pro is coming in the next 12 months then it's maybe not a great way to spend £280.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri 12 Mar 2021 - 16:26

I don't reckon a lot of Switches audience would be aware of a Pro Switch coming.

Then I bought a Switch this year as I've deemed it the #yearoftheswitch because of Bravely Default II, MonHan Rise, New Pokemon Snap, MonHan Stories 2 etc
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri 12 Mar 2021 - 16:35

Are we thinking the price point will be £300+? That feels high for a Nintendo console. It strays into the price point for digital PS5 and Series S or maybe that's the plan...
Back to top Go down
neil
Wii U Port
neil

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri 12 Mar 2021 - 19:51

I hope it's the same price as the regular Switch, and they drop the price of the old Switch while phasing it out. If they call it a 'Pro' or something then I guess they'll go for a higher price. Anything too far over £300 seems expensive though yeah.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 EmptySat 13 Mar 2021 - 8:25

Let's be honest, I'd sell one or both my nuts for whatever Nintendo tell me is the next machine to play their stuff.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 EmptySat 13 Mar 2021 - 9:28

gjones wrote:
Are we thinking the price point will be £300+? That feels high for a Nintendo console. It strays into the price point for digital PS5 and Series S or maybe that's the plan...

Series S already cheaper than a Base Switch and might be the best deal in gaming from current systems.

@Buska I don't know if I'll go that far but even if just a upgrade, you know I'll get one like I did with all the 3DS's.

If it was all new think I'd wait unless some real bangers coming, as that's what I should have done with the Switch and sort doing with the PS5.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 EmptySat 13 Mar 2021 - 16:59

gjones wrote:

A Switch is still going for £280 isn't it?  So I reckon so.

That was a very good longer post from Muss by the way, that I just didn't have anything interesting to say about. Er. Down with scalpers?
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon 15 Mar 2021 - 10:57

I am surprised almost all of you would buy an upgraded model, I thought it'd side the other way. You're all part of the problem Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon 15 Mar 2021 - 11:07

This is the gaming market in a nutshell, we're all just animals in a circus waiting for feeding time and our keepers are happy to throw us a few bits of tasty fish to do some tricks (spend some money).
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon 15 Mar 2021 - 13:14

Tbf though most of us are wanting it just as a replacement for our launch systems which are showing a bit of wear and tear.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon 15 Mar 2021 - 15:19

And me because I would like better resolution and framerate, Apex shows a upgrade be useful.

Plus going from Series X/PS5 it's quite a difference when playing on a Switch in general.
Back to top Go down
neil
Wii U Port
neil

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon 15 Mar 2021 - 15:38

Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 Screen10
Not denying Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 1f606
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon 15 Mar 2021 - 15:55

The_Jaster wrote:
Tbf though most of us are wanting it just as a replacement for our launch systems which are showing a bit of wear and tear.

What problems have you got with your Switch?

I've used mine almost daily since launch (little exaggeration, I know for sure I've only missed 2 days in the last year from Animal Crossing!). Joy-con drift is a constant annoyance but there is no guarantee a new model would fare any better. The bezel around the screen is scratched up from constant dock use but it's not a problem. My right joy-con occasionally now does a thing where it slightly detaches and I have to reattach it to get input back, but it's not too frequent yet. Otherwise my Switch is in perfect working order, I've not noticed any appreciable decrease in battery life even.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon 15 Mar 2021 - 17:34

Nothing major that makes me need one right now but occasionally in the last couple months or so I've had a loud whirring noise coming from the top air vent.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon 15 Mar 2021 - 19:12

OrangeRakoon wrote:
I've used mine almost daily since launch (little exaggeration, I know for sure I've only missed 2 days in the last year from Animal Crossing!). Joy-con drift is a constant annoyance but there is no guarantee a new model would fare any better. The bezel around the screen is scratched up from constant dock use but it's not a problem. My right joy-con occasionally now does a thing where it slightly detaches and I have to reattach it to get input back, but it's not too frequent yet. Otherwise my Switch is in perfect working order, I've not noticed any appreciable decrease in battery life even.

I know what you mean - my Switch has held up fine too - but "apart from the control sticks being a bit fucked, the screen being scratched up and one of the controllers not working it works perfectly!" did make me laugh Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 1f62c
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon 15 Mar 2021 - 19:20

I've got a bit chipped away from the top, and occasionally a game cart won't read. I reckon a new Switch is all but overdue...

Also I will happily dance for a Switch. Dance badly, and fall over.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue 16 Mar 2021 - 11:30

Rum wrote:
OrangeRakoon wrote:

I know what you mean - my Switch has held up fine too - but "apart from the control sticks being a bit fucked, the screen being scratched up and one of the controllers not working it works perfectly!" did make me laugh Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 1f62c

Laughing

The actual screen is fine though, it's the bezel that gets all the scratches and they're barely noticeable in most light anyway.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue 16 Mar 2021 - 14:30

Balladeer wrote:
I've got a bit chipped away from the top, and occasionally a game cart won't read.  I reckon a new Switch is all but overdue...

Also I will happily dance for a Switch.  Dance badly, and fall over.

Going to bore Buska here as I've seen some fiscal talk on Nintendo and seems this upcoming year the Big N has a plan that would top 2008 for them. Which either means some banging games coming and BotW2 is going to do 10m in just 4 months or a new system is coming that people buy.
Back to top Go down
neil
Wii U Port
neil

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue 16 Mar 2021 - 14:30

Anyone who's planning on getting the Pro keeping their original Switch? I know I'll be selling mine and hoping it reduces the cost of the upgrade a fair bit.

masofdas wrote:
Going to bore Buska here as I've seen some fiscal talk on Nintendo and seems this upcoming year the Big N has a plan that would top 2008 for them. Which either means some banging games coming and BotW2 is going to do 10m in just 4 months or a new system is coming that people buy.

If it's the one I saw it came from Bloomberg, the same people who reported the Pro's existence a week or so ago.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu 18 Mar 2021 - 21:35

Balladeer wrote:
I've got a bit chipped away from the top, and occasionally a game cart won't read.  I reckon a new Switch is all but overdue...

I don't think anyone would buy mine!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri 19 Mar 2021 - 16:12

I'd really like to upgrade to a PS5 this year, so I do hope we're still a little bit removed from a Switch Pro. Having said that, it's going to be really difficult for me to pass up a Switch Pro - not so much from wear and tear on my Switch (I play it docked and with a Pro Controller 95% of the time anyway) but moreso that I'd worry for how games would perform on the standard Switch once the upgraded version launches.

I distinctly remember seeing how terrible Hyrule Warriors Legends performed on the base 3DS compared to the N3DS. I'd hate to have that sort of experience with something as huge as a BotW2 or what have you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri 19 Mar 2021 - 17:35

You can count on one hand the number of games that were New 3DS exclusive (or in the case of Hyrule Warrirors may as well have been). Would seem very extreme to buy a new console over, it'd pretty much only be BOTW2 that would make me think about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Switch Pro Speculation Thread
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next