We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)

Go down 
+8
Muss
masofdas
Buskalilly
Rum
Jimbob
The Cappuccino Kid
gjones
Balladeer
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 EmptySat 12 Jun 2021 - 15:08

I would be who you're aiming at Balla, but maybe a certain leaked game going to be at E3 due to franchise will be more accessible like Jedi Fallen Order.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 EmptySun 13 Jun 2021 - 20:56

masofdas wrote:
but maybe a certain leaked game going to be at E3 due to franchise will be more accessible
We already know about Ape Escape 4 mas

I can only think of things I don't want at the moment! I don't think I want a Dark Souls 4 any time soon, as Dark Souls 1 created dozens of characters places and mechanics known the whole world over, Dark Souls 2 went "hey remember that thing, well here's a slightly different version of that same thing, got ya" and Dark Souls 3 went "hey remember that thing? There it is! It's that guy!". It seems they've had a bit of trouble recreating the gold pine resin in a bottle. The only exception: Dark Souls 3's difficulty curve was much better than the original.

Er... so let's say... what Elden Ring does?

I really like the hidden stuff that turns up in Dark Souls - it seems to be a bygone era otherwise where games have a whole optional area turn up out of the blue. I love the idea of solving clues to work out where something might happen. But actually I think it should be a little easier to work out why things might happen. Like the whole
is this a spoiler even any more after this time?:
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 EmptyMon 14 Jun 2021 - 14:39

The_Jaster wrote:
I love how folk have went nuts (me included) over finally seeing proper gameplay footage, but when you step back a wee bit we haven't really seen that much at all. This is the best approach I think as it keeps you speculating right up until you actually get your hands on it
Yeah, I don't need to see anything else now. I'm all over it.
Quote :
speaking of which I reckon this will be my first ps5 game. (Hopefully the console is much easier to get a hold of come January.
It is coming to PS4 so I'm thinking I'll play on that unless I hear its totally borked. And when I eventually do get a PS5 (probably for Monhan VI) I'll play it again. Tickety boo.

Balladeer wrote:
 That said, I don't see what's wrong with an easy mode that has the map and waypoints and things, and a harder mode that the true Soulsfans can play.  
Agreed. But . . .
Quote :
I don't think it would require much in the means of resource to add.
Neither you, nor I, knows jack shit about game development. If adding that would take resources away from them nailing the very clear vision they're really good at nailing . . . it ain't worth it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 EmptyMon 14 Jun 2021 - 15:23

Well that more likely accessible Soulslike, Final Fantasy Origin was shown and looked shite.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 EmptyMon 14 Jun 2021 - 16:13

I'll spoiler this but I just saw a little Elden Ring info dump on twitter taken from some Miyazaki interviews.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 EmptyMon 21 Jun 2021 - 21:04

It's been a week with no posts.  Let's crack on...

What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftorrentsgames.net%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F07%2FDonkey-Kong-Country-Tropical-Freeze-Wii-U

Donkey Kong!  I'm going to exclude anything where you don't play as DK himself, so stuff like March of the Minis is out.  What should the big ape and chums do next, that's the key question.  Is there anywhere more he can go in 2D after Retro's offerings?  A new art style, new friends, or a new feel to the monkey himself?  Alternatively, is the only way into 3D?  If so, what should a 3D Donkey Kong be like?  What should it take from DK64, if anything?  Or should we just get the Donkey Kong Racing game on GameCube we were all promised, goddamnit!?

Last 5 games:

My thoughts:

Over to you!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 EmptyTue 22 Jun 2021 - 2:35

Balladeer wrote:
It's been a week with no posts.  Let's crack on...
Yeah, speculation became a bit redundant when they went and did a gameplay reveal!
Quote :
I'm surprised how infrequent Donkey Kong games have been.  
Maybe it feels that way because . . .
Quote :
I'm going to exclude anything where you don't play as DK himself, so stuff like March of the Minis is out.
See, what I want is a less gimmicky MvDK thing, like a new version of DK94.

If we're sticking to games where you play as the great apes, much as I loved Returns and Tropical Freeze, I don't want to see that series become a NSMB. Give me a 3D one, with tight platforming but a bit of punchy combat when an enemy gets in my chops.

Also, take me to some fun and surprising places, don't just stay on a tropical island. It was fun running Mario around New Donk city but imagine the chaos of a gorilla on the loose in the big city, or in space battering robots or whatever else.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 EmptyTue 22 Jun 2021 - 22:15

I'm thinking maybe make a 3D DK game as well but give it the King of swings momentum based movement, in my mind it's like a combination of the good Spider man games and other 3D platformers that focus a bit more on exploration.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 EmptyTue 22 Jun 2021 - 22:46

I wouldn’t mind another 2D Donkey Kong Country game, although not a puzzle platformer – I think there’s enough of those Mario Vs. Donkey Kong games to do everybody for eternity. Really, what I’d want most is what Balladeers described, which is a “3D DK with levels like a 3D Mario, only adjusted for a heavier physique”. I wouldn’t knock back a remake of Donkey Kong 64, but obviously one that’s much less bloated and far more streamlined and sensible.

It goes without saying that we’d all want a new Donkey Konga, aye?
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 EmptyTue 22 Jun 2021 - 23:28

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:

Could it work with the Drum'n'Fun peripheral drum? I feel like that would make more sense than a second Switch drum peripheral, right?
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 EmptyWed 23 Jun 2021 - 9:10

I'd be interested in a DK94 remastered, but wouldn't be arsed about another Country game. I've never found DK particularly enjoyable as a platforming character - it would be nice to see his weight and power shown off in either a brawler, or a destruction-style game like Blast Corps where you're let loose like King Kong (as Buska hints at). Or do a "Warriors" game! Donkey Kong Warriors would make a lot of sense, particularly in a city.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 EmptyWed 23 Jun 2021 - 21:20

Not another Nintendo Warriors game, please! Afraid A brawler would work well, though.

Buskalilly wrote:
Quote :
I'm going to exclude anything where you don't play as DK himself, so stuff like March of the Minis is out.

Part of the reason behind those exclusions (other than them feeling more like Mario games due to the titling and the playable character(s)) is that I don't think anyone's really cared about the last few Mario vs. DK games.  Granted, that's partly because they are gimmicky.  I feel like in order to make them good again, they'd require a full reset that probably doesn't even have the 'Mario vs. DK' subtitle.  I'd be up for that though.

I do really agree about needing some more variety in environments as well.  The Country games linked in various aspects of tropical islands really nicely (better than Mario Sunshine, say), but that's done.

To my shame I've never owned a Donkey Konga - but yep I'd jump at the chance to remedy that, in theory at least.  In practice, what odds that you end up air-drumming with the Joy-Cons and it's massively unsatisfying?
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 EmptyWed 23 Jun 2021 - 22:04

Buskalilly wrote:
Balladeer wrote:
I'm surprised how infrequent Donkey Kong games have been.  
Maybe it feels that way because . . .
Quote :
Ah, yes, this has stumped me - because we're not allowed to include the actual game called Donkey Kong now Eh? . Otherwise I would second that: I want an HD-ified multiple-level single screen arcade level experience, that goes all over the place, rather than the original Skyscraper. Er... how about that, but you alternatively play as Mario and Kong across worlds? It's like The Last of Us II with umbrellas and bananas.

I wouldn’t knock back a remake of Donkey Kong 64, but obviously one that’s much less bloated and far more streamlined and sensible.
nnnnnnnnnNnnnNNNNoooOOOOOoOOooooo please don't say that out loud, I can't go through that again

Actually, if you're going to remake anything, remake the original Donkey Kong Country. I don't really want another DKCR sequel, but if you plonked today's graphics in, I'd argue that it's 100 times more atmospheric than its Wii/WiiU successors.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 EmptyWed 23 Jun 2021 - 22:40

Ah sod it, if y'all want to include DK94-alikes go ahead. If the rules aren't facilitating the fun then the rules need changing.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 EmptyThu 24 Jun 2021 - 4:01

I wouldn’t mind another 2D Donkey Kong Country game, although not a puzzle platformer – I think there’s enough of those Mario Vs. Donkey Kong games to do everybody for eternity.

I disagree because didn't they turn into touch screen puzzle Lemmings things after the first one? I just want to bounce a lad around a screen.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 EmptyThu 24 Jun 2021 - 8:55

I'm not huge on DK games, I like DKC on SNES and Konga on Cube.

Don't think a new one of either would get me excited, wasn't bothered about Tropical Freeze.

This is very much me waiting for Nintendo to me what I want.
Back to top Go down
neil
Wii U Port
neil

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 EmptyFri 25 Jun 2021 - 13:47

I would play a modern take on the original DK games, something similar to Pac-Man CE.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 EmptyFri 25 Jun 2021 - 18:11

Donkey Kong Battle Royale... now that I say it I'm genuinely surprised it hasn't happened yet. When's the next Donkey Kong anniversary?

masofdas wrote:
Don't think a new one of either would get me excited, wasn't bothered about Tropical Freeze.

Did you get it in the end?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 EmptySat 26 Jun 2021 - 22:58

Yeah got on Wii U but haven't really played it.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jun 2021 - 12:43

I don't really know what I would ask for, other than to see more of the big man in a starring role.

In Nintendo games you are often a weedy boy, it'd be nice to see a new take on playing as a Big boy although in what context I'm not really sure.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jun 2021 - 13:34

What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 Tenor
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jun 2021 - 14:10

Controversial take here: The Donkey Kong Country games are a bit hard to extrapolate new concepts from, as - and this isn't necessarily a criticism of them, as I still love this - they are kind-of-formulaic 2D platformers.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 EmptyMon 28 Jun 2021 - 20:25

That's partly fair. I think the animal pals do add new dynamics, but they've barely been used of late.

masofdas wrote:
Yeah got on Wii U but haven't really played it.

Well, you know what I'm going to suggest.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 EmptyWed 14 Jul 2021 - 21:13

Argh crap guess who forgot about this.

What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 ?u=https%3A%2F%2F2.bp.blogspot.com%2F-eXcthvtumFw%2FXGTQ8lrOlII%2FAAAAAAAARBs%2Fgm14O7avgNU03HGzr1HOTxxvibOwxXSlgCLcBGAs%2Fs1600%2FThe%252BLegend%252Bof%252BZelda%252BLink%252527s%252BAwakening%252BRemake%252BNintendo%252BSwitch%252B1

Here's a franchise that it isn't hard to extrapolate new concepts from: 2D Zelda.  (Basically I wanted to do a big one to avoid any potential lack of interest after I forgot that this existed.)  Now that handheld and home console have merged into one for Zelda, is that the end of new 2D Zelda games?  Is it all cute remakes all the time?  Would that even be a bad thing?  What game should they remake next?  Alternatively, what would you like to see in a new 2D Zelda?  And what about multiplayer Zelda?  Should the next 2D Zelda require three players again?  (No.)

Last 5 games:

My thoughts:

Over to you!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 EmptyThu 15 Jul 2021 - 2:27

In the shocker of the century, I think the polar opposite of Balladeer!

I really don't need the traditional dungeon-item-boss, rinse and repeat eight times, castle that uses all your items, final boss thing ever again. It's been done, and it's been done phenomenally well, but by Twilight Princess it was clearly getting formulaic. Even LBW, with it's different metastructure, was very by-the-book once you set foot in a dungeon.

At the start of this year, I played the original Legend of Zelda through in one sitting - no walkthroughs, no nothing, just me and Link.

It was phenomenal! I loved exploring the map, teasing out new areas, figuring out the obscure clues and following my hunches and being correct more than I wasn't. The difficult combat could be toned down, but the structure would be fantastic. Now that we live in an age when anyone who doesn't care to figure it out for themselves, or to chat with their pals, can go online, I want to see a complex, mysterious world that players need to investigate and experiment with.

Basically, I want BotW's inventiveness tied with TLoZ's obscurity. And a hand-drawn artstyle like an old painting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next