We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?

Go down 
+35
OrangeRakoon
gjones
oldschool
SquidgyGoat
Xelviar
JayMoyles
Cube
Rum
mandlecreed
Buskalilly
Jimbob
Solve My Maze
fronkhead
Crumpy Andy
awesomedude
Kieron
nupkin
Silver light
NintenDUCK
SuperPaperLink
Axis1500
Athrun888
beemoh
Dusty Knackers
Treesmurf
Fancy Fancy
Admin
ZeroSuitSamus2
masofdas
shanks
ZeroJones
The_Jaster
Vidofnir
The Cappuccino Kid
Balladeer
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
AuthorMessage
stu_the_great
Stability Update
stu_the_great

What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?    What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 EmptyTue 14 Sep 2021 - 12:27

OrangeRakoon wrote:
I played Flower, Sun, and Rain again recently (and completed it for the first time) after playing the game it is actually a sequel to, The Silver Case, on Switch. One of the best DS games for sure!

This is one of those games I picked up back in the day and had absolutely no interest in, but thinking about now would be quite interested to check out. Thankfully I still have it.

I had no idea that it had a sequential game in the same series, let alone a recent one.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?    What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 EmptyTue 14 Sep 2021 - 16:01

It's a weird one - I never knew it was a sequel back when I first played it, and the game itself kind of pretends not to be as well, but some of the plot points make a lot more sense if you do play The Silver Case. Confusingly The Silver Case got its first western release in 2016, so a long while after Flower, Sun, and Rain! The Switch port (The Silver Case 2425, which is a two game bundle) only came out this year.

If you're interested I did a big retro post on Suda51 games I own here which starts with Flower, Sun, and Rain and The Silver Case and their confusing relation.
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
stu_the_great
Stability Update
stu_the_great

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?    What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 EmptyTue 14 Sep 2021 - 16:11

Always interested to fill in the knowledge blanks, so thanks for that! I shall take a look.

Maybe we'll see a resurgence of some more of these oddities now that collections, ports and remasters routinely flood the market.

I've only realised now that I'm filling in the blanks in my 3DS library, just how many blanks I still have.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?    What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 EmptyTue 14 Sep 2021 - 19:34

Nah not stuck with Hotel Dusk

Always wanted to play Flower, Sun, and Rain! Because it's from SUDA, but I'm not paying the near £40 to answer your question Buska for it.

I would be up for bringing back a game club retro plaything, but with a DS/3DS game which must be some still cheap enough if someone doesn't own to pick up.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?    What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 EmptyTue 14 Sep 2021 - 21:07

stu_the_great wrote:
My 3DS has had a lot of hammer lately, with me recently finishing Fantasy Life, Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning and... er... Disney Magical World 2.

Laughing

masofdas wrote:
Nah not stuck with Hotel Dusk

Oh come on! I've just used the fryshocked.gif in relation to you, it's too soon to get it out again.

I will not be trying Flower Sun and Rain. I don't love Suda enough to deal with what seems like intentional crappyness that that game apparently has in spades.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
stu_the_great
Stability Update
stu_the_great

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?    What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 EmptyWed 15 Sep 2021 - 8:38

Is Flower, Sun and Rain really that expensive now? Blimey. Having said that, retro prices seem to have gone completely berserk this last year - even out-of-print games on Switch are mental.

I missed out on picking up Nostalgia for the original DS, and that's nigh-on impossible to find in English at the moment.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?    What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 EmptyWed 15 Sep 2021 - 11:56

Balladeer wrote:
I will not be trying Flower Sun and Rain. I don't love Suda enough to deal with what seems like intentional crappyness that that game apparently has in spades.

There is one chapter in particular I'm pretty sure you'd hate as it just makes your run back-and-forth across the whole island to be deliberately boring Laughing

There are completely ignorable unlocks tied to the in-game step count and the final unlock requires you to walk for something like 50 hours straight (real time). Almost makes me wish Nintendo had achievements just to see the fallout from that!
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
stu_the_great
Stability Update
stu_the_great

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?    What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 EmptyWed 22 Sep 2021 - 8:35

My 3DS has gone back onto my shelf temporarily, but I really do need to see how Luigi's Mansion handles on it. Embarrassingly I don't have a copy of this version yet.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?    What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 EmptyThu 23 Sep 2021 - 16:46

I’ve been really tempted to buy that 3DS version of Luigi’s Mansion loads of times, more out of curiousity than anything else. I don’t really like the way Luigi’s Mansion 2 handles on the 3DS, and the set-up with Luigi’s Mansion 3 goes to show that it’s a series that’s best with two control sticks on a console. Still, it is coming up to Halloween, and I don’t think it’s ever going to drop any further in price…

The only thing I’ve been playing on 3DS recently is Frogger 3D. The main game shows tons of potential in it’s first ten minutes, but it quickly collapses under it’s absurd difficulty and a weird design choice that scatters the route you’ve got to take through each level. Ignoring the main game, I’ve just been playing Endless Frogger, which is an unlimited version of the 1981 original.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?    What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 EmptyThu 23 Sep 2021 - 20:30

I don't think I ever knew the original Luigi's Mansion was on 3DS, and I'm usually vaguely aware of first party Ninty stuff. Did it have any fanfare?!
Back to top Go down
stu_the_great
Stability Update
stu_the_great

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?    What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 EmptyFri 24 Sep 2021 - 8:31

Rum wrote:
I don't think I ever knew the original Luigi's Mansion was on 3DS, and I'm usually vaguely aware of first party Ninty stuff. Did it have any fanfare?!

It came super late in the day with other ports like Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn, which is another one still on my list.

Luigi's Mansion 2 was decent, I thought, but something about it just didn't sit with me in the same way that the original did. The original felt like it was actually trying to be "scary" when it wanted to be.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?    What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 EmptyFri 24 Sep 2021 - 10:10

stu_the_great wrote:
Disney Magical World 2.

What can you play next, which they can HD?
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?    What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 EmptyFri 24 Sep 2021 - 19:32

I've got a cartridge with the Mother 3 English ROM ported onto it kicking about if you want to borrow that next please, Stu.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?    What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 EmptyFri 24 Sep 2021 - 21:37

stu_the_great wrote:
Luigi's Mansion 2 was decent, I thought, but something about it just didn't sit with me in the same way that the original did. The original felt like it was actually trying to be "scary" when it wanted to be.

Maybe don't try 3 then. Meh
Back to top Go down
stu_the_great
Stability Update
stu_the_great

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?    What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 EmptyWed 6 Oct 2021 - 8:48

masofdas wrote:
stu_the_great wrote:
Disney Magical World 2.

What can you play next, which they can HD?

Hah! That's exactly ehat I thought when I saw the trailer. Laughing

@Jay: Did you enjoy Mother 3, Jay? Would love to seen an official port of that some day, as I'm sure about a billion other people would.

@Ballla: I think I'll enjoy 3 in its own way. I enjoyed 2 but in a different way to 1. (I also thought that 2 peaked with the plant/greenhouse mansion, i.e: way too early).
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?    What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 EmptyWed 6 Oct 2021 - 14:03

stu_the_great wrote:
@Jay: Did you enjoy Mother 3, Jay?

Laughing

Absolutely not laughing at you by the way, you've been away for ages so there's a very good chance you'd not know. Jay did enjoy Mother 3. The question is, did he enjoy Mother 3 too much?
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?    What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 EmptyWed 6 Oct 2021 - 14:17

The answer to that question is no, he enjoyed it exactly the right amount for it is a perfect videogame.
Back to top Go down
stu_the_great
Stability Update
stu_the_great

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?    What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 EmptyFri 8 Oct 2021 - 8:43

Balladeer wrote:
stu_the_great wrote:
@Jay: Did you enjoy Mother 3, Jay?

Laughing

Absolutely not laughing at you by the way, you've been away for ages so there's a very good chance you'd not know.  Jay did enjoy Mother 3.  The question is, did he enjoy Mother 3 too much?

By this, I presume that Jay and Mother 3 needed to get a room at some point? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?    What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 EmptyFri 8 Oct 2021 - 14:11

Put it this way: there were three games I predicted for Jay to cover on his edition of our Versus Mode podcast. One was TWEWY. One is an MMO he's spent something north of 500h on (I presume). The third was Mother 3.

(Of course, he threw a massive curve ball and I only got one of those right, but hey ho...)
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?    What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 EmptySun 10 Oct 2021 - 12:41

Balladeer wrote:
 One is an MMO he's spent something north of 500h on (I presume).

I mean, you're not wrong... try doubling that

In retrospect, I wish I had spoken about FFXIV on that Versus Mode as I've not actually chatted a lot about on the forum. But I purposefully omitted Mother 3 as I think I've spoken about it enough here. Laughing
Back to top Go down
stu_the_great
Stability Update
stu_the_great

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?    What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 EmptyFri 22 Oct 2021 - 8:47

Just been paid so I thought now was as good a time as any to pick up Luigi's Mansion 3DS in time for Halloween. I haven't revisited the GameCube game in many a year, so looking forward to seeing this running on my favourite handheld system. Smile
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?    What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 EmptyFri 22 Oct 2021 - 21:52

While I can't say I have much fondness for LM1 (it was decent, just never resonated with me to the same degree as some), that bit at the end caught my eye. 'Favourite handheld system'? Interesting! Why's that Stu? Personally I think the 3DS, while still being great in many ways, is a bit of an odd middle child, stuck between the interesting experimental software library of the DS and the all-round high quality of the Switch.
Back to top Go down
stu_the_great
Stability Update
stu_the_great

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?    What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 EmptyThu 28 Oct 2021 - 9:02

Balladeer wrote:
While I can't say I have much fondness for LM1 (it was decent, just never resonated with me to the same degree as some), that bit at the end caught my eye.  'Favourite handheld system'?  Interesting!  Why's that Stu?  Personally I think the 3DS, while still being great in many ways, is a bit of an odd middle child, stuck between the interesting experimental software library of the DS and the all-round high quality of the Switch.

For the longest time the DS was my favourite system, but the 3DS has just pumped out some incredibly solid games with a lot of longevity, and the boost in cartridge space and horsepower really helped the quality of little things like cinematics and textures. The best games on 3DS simply look and feel really good, and I don't have to contend with a D-pad for 3D games.

Yes it was far less wacky and experimental, but it just felt refined in a way that felt like it was for gamers rather than everyone.  What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 1f603
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?    What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 EmptyFri 29 Oct 2021 - 21:26

Hm, I don't know about the 'for gamers rather than everyone' thing, at least not so far as the DS was concerned. Sure, there was the Touch Generations stuff, but I largely ignored that. It felt like if you were lucky enough to have NGamer to point you in the direction of the more niche yet still great stuff, you didn't have to scratch far below the surface to find things like TWEWY and Infinite Space that were purer than any of the big hitters on 3DS!

Regarding the big Nintendo games though, I get where you're coming from, especially regarding polish and 3D games... I just don't get why you wouldn't prefer the Switch in that case! It has bigger better 3D games and more polish, and it's very much still a handheld.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?    What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 EmptySun 31 Oct 2021 - 12:16

Doesn't fit in the pocket though, like a real handheld. I can't have sneaky games of Switch on the toilet at work, can I?

Having finished Samus Returns, NSMB2 is back to being the game I permanently have in my pockets for train rides/ waiting at traffic lights/ using the toilet my designated lunch hour.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?    What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?  - Page 36 Empty

Back to top Go down

What are you playing on your 3DS/DS right now?
Page 36 of 38Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38  Next