We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names

Go down 
+14
Rum
Treesmurf
shanks
The Cappuccino Kid
Axis1500
masofdas
beemoh
fronkhead
Balladeer
Admin
ZeroJones
Buskalilly
Athrun888
Silver light
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 6 EmptyMon 30 Dec 2013 - 10:57

I said month's ago it would end up being rare, and one of the reasons I was looking at the collectors edition.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 6 EmptyMon 30 Dec 2013 - 11:47

Doesn't bode well for the sequel coming over here, does it? Aww! But it makes me sad that people are viewing this as an investment.  If you're not going to play it, don't be selfish: leave it there for somebody who will.

Also Ringabel is an ass with a stupid name and a stupid haircut.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 6 EmptyMon 30 Dec 2013 - 11:59

I was planning on getting this when my student loan comes in but I must say I'm a tad worried about its availability now.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 6 EmptyTue 31 Dec 2013 - 8:04

My local GAME recently received what looks like three copies - no, wait, two. Grin Once I've finished Pokémon X, A Link Between Worlds, Dream Team Bros. and Inazuma Eleven 3, I'll be sure to give it a look. Rolling Eyes Expect this thread to be resurrected about this time next year, folks!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 6 EmptyTue 31 Dec 2013 - 11:26

I was saying this as my Christmas game but nobody bought it for me, so I went out and reached one down. Luckily, in my local someone had pulled out of a pre-order so I was able to not only get a copy, but sealed up all nice in the cellophane. Mmmm. I'll be getting on with that shortly. Might try to beat batsman and Phoenix Wright first so I sink all my time into it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 6 EmptyWed 1 Jan 2014 - 12:03

Balladeer wrote:
Athrun, any chance you could MP me your friend code?  I need more village people!

I feel kind of embarrassed for admitting this but I've actually know idea how to find out what my friend code is.   Laughing I'll be happy to add you, once I know what it is that is.  Anyone know where you find out the friend code?

Progress update wise I think I'm near the end of chapter 3, it's been a while since I've played anything between Chaugmer kicking my backside and my fmab marathon but I can smell the end of the chapter.  Agnes has stopped being annoying and Airy now officially is on my "I don't like you" list.  It seems all she does is whine to Agnes about not slaving herself in to the ground for the mission.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 6 EmptyWed 1 Jan 2014 - 12:33

Happy face on the main menu, then go left. Should bring it up!

I must confess, this (along with everything else) has been delayed while I polish off ALBW. Sad to know that Airy doesn't get any better.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 6 EmptyWed 1 Jan 2014 - 13:28

I had a bit of spare Christmas money, so I was forced to bring my purchase of this forward. Goodness knows when I'll get chance to play it. All the games I'm playing at the moment seem super time-consuming.
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 6 EmptyThu 2 Jan 2014 - 5:30

Well down here I'll be lucky to find it unless I download it
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 6 EmptyFri 3 Jan 2014 - 11:37

I officially wish I could strangle Airy.  She never stops jabbering on about the crystals, and she utterly ruins what would be otherwise heartwarming moments of comradery between the party by basically telling them nobody cares about what they've faced and their only focus should be the crystals.  I mean don't get me wrong, I understand why the crystals should be priority, but her utter lack of anything seeming like empathy for other people just really really gets under my skin.  
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 6 EmptyFri 3 Jan 2014 - 16:56

I just skip past her comments.  I am rather fond of Ringabel's voice actor, though.

And ooh! I like the clock place.
Back to top Go down
Silver light
Ing Warrior
Silver light

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 6 EmptyFri 3 Jan 2014 - 21:26

Athrun888 wrote:
I officially wish I could strangle Airy.  She never stops jabbering on about the crystals, and she utterly ruins what would be otherwise heartwarming moments of comradery between the party by basically telling them nobody cares about what they've faced and their only focus should be the crystals.  I mean don't get me wrong, I understand why the crystals should be priority, but her utter lack of anything seeming like empathy for other people just really really gets under my skin.  

There is no hell terrible enough to be suitable for Airy to be thrown into.

Anyway. I already finished this up like three weeks back, actually. The music is pretty lovely - the last couple of boss themes being the pick of the bunch, imo - and the battle system never felt to get old. The story, though...well. It's got nice ideas, but the execution...oh dear. I'll save that rant for the timing being, though.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 6 EmptyFri 3 Jan 2014 - 23:14

I now have a copy making its way to me! I just need to find the time to play it now.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 6 EmptySat 4 Jan 2014 - 0:14

I caved in and bought it few days ago. Quite enjoying it. It's a solid, lovingly made JRPG.

I did change the voices to Japanese as soon as I could, thankfully making Ringabell not obnoxious like I feared.
Back to top Go down
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 6 EmptySat 4 Jan 2014 - 15:59

I heard that the demo has completely different content and that the main game benefits from you playing that first.

Will I lose anything by just starting with the full game?
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 6 EmptySat 4 Jan 2014 - 20:57

Not really. I'd skip the demo, it throws you in the deep end with a few dungeons to explore, but you'll be visiting those same places again in the finished game anyway.

You're only really missing out on some disposable items, but items are plentiful. I'd say being able to start the game now is a worthy trade-off to 4 hours' of demo play (of which you'll be doing again in the finished game once you reach the second continent).

---

I'm about 15 hours into this, and it's decent, but I'm still undecided on whether it's top-tier or not. I do enjoy it, and it's a solid RPG, but it still feels like it lacks an identity beyond that game that is like classic Final Fantasy, and even then the three SNES Final Fantasy games are more memorable and better designed than this.

I feel Bravely Default lacks variety and feels like it's set in a tiny world despite the huge game map, mostly due to the identikit nature of dungeons (towns are well executed but there aren't many of them anyway) and non-town locations, and how you're not allowed to explore until the game tells you so. Dungeon design's not particularly inspiring, either, and as inspired as the artstyle is parts of it scream generic, such as what each class looks like (I cringed when I saw the Ninja and the Time Mage).

And the soundtrack, while sounding nice, has too many pieces that sound like I've heard them in other JRPGs before -- it's also lacking memorable character themes.

It's lovingly made, though, and does a lot right, but none of it has been particularly inspiring to me, and nothing has stood out over any other JRPG I've played in my life.

Edit: I realised I spent most that post complaining. I have a lot of positive things to say as well about that game too! I'll post them soon.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 6 EmptySun 5 Jan 2014 - 10:17

And so the plot twist has reared its head.  I can see this one annoying a lot of people, personally however I'm loving it.  

Major plot twist spoilers:
Back to top Go down
Silver light
Ing Warrior
Silver light

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 6 EmptySun 5 Jan 2014 - 13:53

Athrun888 wrote:
And so the plot twist has reared its head.  I can see this one annoying a lot of people, personally however I'm loving it.  

Not really spoilers but i'm spoilering it anyway:
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 6 EmptySun 5 Jan 2014 - 23:24

I don't think I'm far enough into the game yet so I've resisted clicking the spoilers, but I do wonder if it's related to what GameCentral said in their (8/10) review:

"However, new and interesting are two words that don’t belong anywhere near Bravely Default’s plot. It’s such clichéd drivel that we’re convinced developer Silicon Studio (best known for 3D Dot Game Heroes) tried to turn it into a parody halfway through"

That sounds pretty hilarious, and I look forward to it. Because right now it's a bit sad that the side quests offer the most interesting stories of the game thus far.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 6 EmptyMon 6 Jan 2014 - 0:44

I'm enjoying it, and find myself playing it for an hour or two every time I boot it up, but it's not amazing. It has some really great ideas (I like how they incentivise learning how to do everything, even the little extra bits, with items for achieving certain targets), and it's very solid, beautiful, the lot. I also really like the slow nature of rebuilding Norende, and using summons of real people in battle. But at the moment (I'm about 10 hours in and have just begun chapter 2) it's feeling a little more plodding than it ought, and the game world feels a little sparse.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 6 EmptyMon 6 Jan 2014 - 7:38

Okay I'm loving where this is now going after that last massive plot twist:

Silver light wrote:
Athrun888 wrote:

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 6 EmptyMon 6 Jan 2014 - 7:49

It's solid.  The numbers go up, and there's a reason to usher your characters from one place to another.  It's not going to win any Games of the Year, but it's pretty much what I expected. The village is a nice touch too.
Back to top Go down
Silver light
Ing Warrior
Silver light

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 6 EmptyMon 6 Jan 2014 - 13:16

Athrun888 wrote:
Okay I'm loving where this is now going after that last massive plot twist:

Post Chapter 6 spoilers:

Athrun888 wrote:
Silver light wrote:
Athrun888 wrote:

Spoilers involving Chapters 5-8:

Fronkhead wrote:
I don't think I'm far enough into the game yet so I've resisted clicking the spoilers, but I do wonder if it's related to what GameCentral said in their (8/10) review:

"However, new and interesting are two words that don’t belong anywhere near Bravely Default’s plot. It’s such clichéd drivel that we’re convinced developer Silicon Studio (best known for 3D Dot Game Heroes) tried to turn it into a parody halfway through"

That sounds pretty hilarious, and I look forward to it. Because right now it's a bit sad that the side quests offer the most interesting stories of the game thus far.

The game did feel to me as if it was purposely aimed to be so generic as it was for the most point. That's all i'm saying for now...
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 6 EmptyWed 8 Jan 2014 - 12:47

Silver light wrote:
Spoilers involving Chapters 5-8:

Spoilers involving chapters 7 and 8 and the finale:
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 6 EmptyThu 9 Jan 2014 - 13:39

Really enjoying it now, and I must stop playing for the time being it as my playtime's reached 24 hours. Norende's a sneaky way to make sure I'm always up for playing more of the game. I do feel it has an identity, particularly each individual town and the general substories within. Anything where the game tends to follow a familiar trope ends up feeling generic (as good as the battle music is, it could have been in any JRPG, likewise with the overworld music), but I love how distinctive bits of the game are.

Likewise the subquests are excellent. By linking them into the main plot and offering new places to go/see/do things in I'm always interested in doing them, and I'd feel guilty for not doing a lot of them given the happenings that, er, happen.

Shame about the dungeon design, though. Each dungeon feels like an identikit version of the last, and they all remain woefully basic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names
Page 6 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next