We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox

Go down 
+16
flora-chan
gjones
Rattlecat
ZeroJones
The_Jaster
2grundies
Jimbob
The Cappuccino Kid
shanks
fronkhead
Silver light
Balladeer
Admin
Crumpy Andy
JayMoyles
masofdas
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox   6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 EmptySat 30 Jul 2016 - 20:32

Bought a OG Xbox awhile ago now, I then bought a component cable and now I've softmodded the system.

Which means some games I can run at 1080i but not many of them, yet a lot can be outputted in 480p 60hz which is still crazy as this is a system out years before the Wii and is capable of more.

Anyway I played Dead or Alive 3 as that game runs natively in 480p 60hz and it looks absolutely stunning as it was a launch game for the Xbox.

I also played Buffy which is a great license game but this upscales and it hasn't held up, due to it's realistic visuals.

I do want to pick up something that does run in 1080i or 720p, to see how good they look.

I want to do this with the GameCube but component cables are £250+ as for some reason only Nintendo made them and hardly any. I don't get why no 3rd party has not done them as they could get a small fortune out of them. That the only options really are RGB or modding, for better picture on Cube.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox   6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 EmptyMon 8 Aug 2016 - 9:48

masofdas wrote:
Bought a OG Xbox awhile ago now, I then bought a component cable and now I've softmodded the system.

Which means some games I can run at 1080i but not many of them, yet a lot can be outputted in 480p 60hz which is still crazy as this is a system out years before the Wii and is capable of more.

Anyway I played Dead or Alive 3 as that game runs natively in 480p 60hz and it looks absolutely stunning as it was a launch game  for the Xbox.

I also played Buffy which is a great license game but this upscales and it hasn't held up, due to it's realistic visuals.

I do want to pick up something that does run in 1080i or 720p, to see how good they look.

I want to do this with the GameCube but component cables are £250+ as for some reason only Nintendo made them and hardly any. I don't get why no 3rd party has not done them as they could get a small fortune out of them. That the only options really are RGB or modding, for better picture on Cube.

Mas, do you have a PC good enough to play last-gen games? I've downloaded Dolphin, the Gamecube/Wii emulator, and it works beautifully with Paper Mario TTYD and Super Mario Sunshine. It's a bit weird playing a Mario game with a 360 controller though. One game I've just started again is Metroid Prime, although there can be a dip in frame rate occasionally. Well worth checking out particularly as Gamecube games seem to be getting more and more expensive.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: 6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox   6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 EmptyMon 8 Aug 2016 - 9:51

I do but I sooner play the games on a GameCube how they were meant to be played.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: 6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox   6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 EmptyMon 8 Aug 2016 - 9:55

masofdas wrote:
I do but I sooner play the games on a GameCube how they were meant to be played.

Alright moneybags. Anyone else played Gamecube through an emulator before?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: 6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox   6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 EmptyMon 8 Aug 2016 - 10:07

I just like playing games how they were meant to be on the actual hardware, I had same problem with the Mega Drive collection on PS360 which felt off that I went back to play my Mega Drive and Streets of Rage II on that.

I've not got the money to spend £250+ on a cable for the Cube as that's ridiculous but £10 or so for a RGB cable for a better isn't much and on the games I own nearly all the the Cube games I want as well.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: 6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox   6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 EmptyMon 8 Aug 2016 - 10:16

masofdas wrote:
I just like playing games how they were meant to be on the actual hardware, I had same problem with the Mega Drive collection on PS360 which felt off that I went back to play my Mega Drive and Streets of Rage II on that.

I've not got the money to spend £250+ on a cable for the Cube as that's ridiculous but £10 or so for a RGB cable for a better isn't much and on the games I own nearly all the the Cube games I want as well.  

Yeah I get that, and I also struggled with the Mega Drive collection. It's just I missed out on games like Chibi-Robo, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and the Mario Baseball game, so seems like a good way to check them out without remortgaging the house.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: 6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox   6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 EmptyMon 8 Aug 2016 - 10:17

Those are 3 that I'm missing out on and due to cost I may miss out on along with Pokemon XD.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: 6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox   6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 EmptyMon 5 Sep 2016 - 16:54

The gamecube, probably more for reasons of nostalgia than quality, is my favourite console. It does have the best controller, mind.
I set it up in my living room at the end of last year, when Midnight Resistance were celebrating the machine, and just today a friend of mine returned a big stack of games I lent him ages ago (a couple of which I'm not sure were ever mine.)

6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 CrmdmKPWAAAZVv_

Looking forwards to firing up a couple of these.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: 6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox   6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 EmptyMon 5 Sep 2016 - 18:00

I'm told that some of those are alright. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: 6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox   6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 EmptyMon 5 Sep 2016 - 18:24

A legendary console. Loads of folk dismissed it at the time because it looked like a big Polly Pocket, but we knew it was a superb bit of hardware. The software library is first class as well. Here's the most recent photo of my collection, from late 2013:

6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 DSC_0504_zps3a51269e

I've beefed it up a bit since then - I'll get a photo soon.

Did we ever have a 'Best GameCube games' vote? I'm not suggesting we have one - or any vote thread ever again, tbh - but I'd be interested to hear what the forum's favourite games were.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: 6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox   6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 EmptyMon 5 Sep 2016 - 18:29

...been a while since the last vote, hasn't it? Twisted Evil Nobbut seriously I'd be up for that, reckon it'd be hotly contested. And I can't remember when we had the last vote. What turned you off them so Cappa, you were practically behind the Wii one?
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/ Online
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: 6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox   6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 EmptyMon 5 Sep 2016 - 19:26

Well up for Gamecube chat. Still plugging away at The Thousand Year Door and hoping to binge on Gamecube up til the NX launches. I had the system at the time but as it was the first generation where I could buy my own games, I ended up spreading myself (steady) between all three home consoles. Plenty of games I didn't play.

Sticking with the anniversary stuff for NGamer, the Cube must be coming up to its 15th anniversary soon.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: 6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox   6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 EmptyMon 5 Sep 2016 - 20:19

I love the Cube, Nintendo's best system that I would be up for a vote. I did post my Top 10 like on page 2 of this thread and I remember Cappa saying only like 2 games of my 10 would be in his 10 which shows how good the system is.

Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: 6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox   6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 EmptyMon 5 Sep 2016 - 22:18

Poochy & Balladeer wrote:
 What turned you off them so Cappa, you were practically behind the Wii one?

There was quite a lot of them one year, and the level of involvement seemed to get worse and worse each time round. The way that Andyman's set up his Simply The Best thread is the way I'd do it, personally.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: 6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox   6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 EmptyMon 5 Sep 2016 - 23:12

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
Poochy & Balladeer wrote:
 What turned you off them so Cappa, you were practically behind the Wii one?

There was quite a lot of them one year, and the level of involvement seemed to get worse and worse each time round. The way that Andyman's set up his Simply The Best thread is the way I'd do it, personally.

Aye I'd agree with that, it also means we won't feel rushed into getting our list up by a certain deadline & we can get a hell of a lot more discussion out of it.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: 6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox   6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 EmptyTue 6 Sep 2016 - 7:10

But that way you don't get the suspense, and most of the 'discussion' has been 'here's my list/whoa that person's list is massive (ahem)'. The engagement point is a fair one though. I suspect that the first person to be bothered will get their will either way.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/ Online
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: 6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox   6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 EmptyTue 6 Sep 2016 - 8:33

Love a good vote, me. However, we did overdo them in the not-too-distant past and they tend to throw up issues that change the focus of the discussion from the games themselves to things like "What is an RPG, anyway?" I'm all for giving them a rest for the foreseeable future. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: 6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox   6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 EmptyTue 6 Sep 2016 - 23:24

Aw, I was looking forward to a vote thread - a proper big one like the Wii and DS votes of old, split by genre. Plenty of chat to be garnered there, too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: 6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox   6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 EmptyFri 9 Sep 2016 - 9:02

Same but I guess how the Wii U is going when we do a 5th anniversary vote it may as well be a full-blown genres etc vote like how we did the Wii and DS at then of their lives.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: 6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox   6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 EmptyThu 17 Nov 2016 - 19:21

This is mainly to gJones with the whole PS2, Xbox talk in the anniversary thread but if you don't know I'm saying OG Xbox is the best Xbox due the exclusives etc then it became a chat about PS2 that I've found the exclusives for the 6th gen.

This is based on review scores from game rankings as they are more varied then meta critic, what I've done is gone for exclusives for that console within that generation of games 90 and above

PS2 19 games out of 2238 are 90+ or 0.008% of the total library :

Xbox 7 out of 772 games are 90+ or 0.009% of the total library:

GameCube 8 out of 447 games are 90+ or 0.018% of the total library:

Dreamcast games not ported within the same gen, 6 games of 216 are 90+ or 0.028% of the total library:

Dreamcast counting games which were exclusives but later got ported to another 6 gen console after the DC's death then their would be five more games making it 11 out of 216 games with 90+ or 0.05% of the total library :

The Xboxes 90+ exclusives have the best average review score but the Dreamcast has the best percentage of 90+ exclusives, this is of course all based on numbers and I could even go on time on the market which would be like a 90+ game a month on the Dreamcast, I didn't work it out.

Taste of games may vary and even myself looking at these the DC list hasn't got Shenmue I or II but most DC owners would say that one of those is the best game on it but I thought this was the fairest way to at them all.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: 6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox   6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 EmptyThu 17 Nov 2016 - 20:46

So yeah, that's what I thought. PS2 has by far the biggest selection of great games - the % thing is irrelevant given how much shovelware and sports titles there were on PS2.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: 6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox   6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 EmptyThu 17 Nov 2016 - 21:09

It does have the biggest selection but 19 of 2238 being 90+ games doesn't seem many to me, not something to rave about making the PS2 special for games you could get only on it.

Also it was on the market way longer then the rest, plus tastes as well as for me Halo in the Xbox list and Wind Waker in the Cube are in my top games of all-time but I would put SotC and MGS3 amongst them.

Then of course do you trust these scores and is quality of quantity the better option as the Cubes complete but small library of 447 is dam fine compared to the 2238 PS2 games which will be flooded with shovelware and sports games.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: 6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox   6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 EmptyThu 17 Nov 2016 - 21:23

masofdas wrote:
It does have the biggest selection but 19 of 2238 being 90+ games doesn't seem many to me, not something to rave about making the PS2 special for games you could get only on it.

Also it was on the market way longer then the rest, plus tastes as well as for me Halo in the Xbox list and Wind Waker in the Cube are in my top games of all-time but I would put SotC and MGS3 amongst them.

Then of course do you trust these scores and is quality of quantity the better option as the Cubes complete but small library of 447 is dam fine compared to the 2238 PS2 games which will be flooded with shovelware and sports games.

Well if you're including shovelware, the PS2 can only really be compared to the Wii or the DS. But comparing shovelware is a waste of time - 19 great games on PS2 compared to 7 on the Xbox, that's all that matters at the end of the day.

While I'm not comfortable defending the PS2, I do think you're missing the point. The Dreamcast was around for what, two years? If you put the first two years of the PS2 up against the Dreamcast, SEGA's console wins easily. It would win against most. But it's a pointless comparison, seeing as all of these systems had different release dates and different lifespans. The only two that could be compared are the Gamecube and the Xbox as they existed in the same timeframe (OK, Chibi-Robo aside in 2006).
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: 6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox   6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 EmptyThu 17 Nov 2016 - 21:29

But are those 7 gamss better then those 19 is the question, yeah the 6th gen was weird for timing and like you say if you compare the Xbox and Cube it's rather even.

Like I said it's down to tastes and back then I'd wouldn't have touched any of the JRPGs on the PS2 list but now I would, I still personally think the PS2 is not great compared to the other 3 of the generation.

And this is coming from someone who most would say that I'm a Sony fan boy seeing I try to do a PlayStation podcast, a news series on PSVR and bought a PSP, VITA, PS3, PS4, PS4 Pro and PSVR all at launch along with special editions of some of them and met Shuhei Yoshida.

Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: 6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox   6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 EmptyMon 20 Feb 2017 - 10:23

Currently playing:

Had a bash on this for a couple of hours last night. Forget how utterly addictive THPS in the early days is, and it's hardly aged. My go-to THPS was #2 but given how highly regarded #3 is, I'm going to keep playing this to see if it is indeed better. Thankfully the first two levels have shown that great level design and rewarding trick mechanics remain a pleasure to play 16 years later.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox   6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube,  PlayStation 2, Xbox - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

6th Generation Consoles Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox
Page 8 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next