We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread

Go down 
+9
Jimbob
Rum
Vidofnir
Crumpy Andy
beemoh
masofdas
The_Jaster
JayMoyles
Buskalilly
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
AuthorMessage
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread   Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 EmptyTue 1 Mar 2022 - 1:31

I've had the blue thing on for the entire time I've played and only been summoned twice by that method. Typically I put down the gold finger after beating a boss and the one that sends you to many pools when I'm wanting runes. The demand is insane so you get summoned instantly everywhere as long as you aren't massively overleveled.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread   Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 EmptyTue 1 Mar 2022 - 17:16

Ahh didn't even know being a blue spirit/sentinel existed in this game because of the way pvp works.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread   Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 EmptyTue 1 Mar 2022 - 20:18

I'm a Souls dumb dumb, if I jump on Elden Ring, what class should I go for if I want roll around, throw fireballs and summon cool ghost wolves?
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread   Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 EmptyTue 1 Mar 2022 - 22:58

Prophet is probably best starting point for your fire incantations as it starts with a short range flame move (fire ball comes a little later) & the finger seal item needed to cast it. As for the spirit wolves any class can use that after you get spirit bell.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread   Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 EmptyTue 1 Mar 2022 - 23:01

Interesting as elsewhere someone said Astrologer.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread   Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 EmptyTue 1 Mar 2022 - 23:12

You could definitely adapt that later much like all the classes but Astrologer is mainly a starting point for sorceries. So it depends if you want fire spells or magic spells?

Here's what they have equipment wise to start:

Prophet -

Heal (spell)
Catch Flame (spell)
Short Spear
Finger Seal (item that casts your spells)
Rickety Shield

Astrologer -

Glintstone Pebble (spell)
Glintstone Arc (spell)
Short Sword
Astrologer's Staff (item that casts your spells)
Scripture Wooden Shield

EDIT: Not sure if you have the game yet but you could always try both in the tutorial area and see which one you prefer.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread   Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 EmptyTue 1 Mar 2022 - 23:25

No I currently don't have the game but was curious from stuff I've seen.

Oddly been looking at Dark Souls on Switch.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread   Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 EmptyWed 2 Mar 2022 - 9:09

I would say get elden ring over DS. The game is super active right now so if there are areas you struggle with you can always summon some help.

I do feel like there are some bosses that are designed for co op as well, although better players than me could definitely solo them.

It's also very easy in elden ring to level up without risk if you decide to help other players as if you die in other players worlds you still keep all your souls. If you've bounced off souls in the past then I think this could be a game that remedies that due to its co op. The fact it has an open world to explore might also be a bonus as if one area is too hard you can always go elsewhere.

I know jas, Jay, Andy, buska, and me are all on PlayStation so if you got it on that then chances are there will always be somebody you can call on for help from here, although there are also loads of helpful randoms you can summon too.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread   Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 EmptyWed 2 Mar 2022 - 9:25

Doubt get soonish because got decent backlog whichI I've just started Res Evil Village and March quite a few Switch games I'm picking up like Triangle Strategy.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread   Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 EmptyWed 2 Mar 2022 - 9:45

I would say don't get Elden Ring tbh Mas, with both our views being closer on BotW than the rest of the gang I think a combination of Souls and BotW would be horrible to you. I still hate the overworld most of the time.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread   Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 EmptyWed 2 Mar 2022 - 10:39

Interesting as seen some compare to BotW because of the openness. On the other hand seen some say great starting place for the genre, which Muss makes great points about COOP.

That would like to play but some negatives and positives for me, which why not jumping on right away.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread   Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 EmptyWed 2 Mar 2022 - 11:50

This is like BotW in that it is really really good.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread   Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 EmptyWed 2 Mar 2022 - 12:03

Avoid then Winky Face

I'm wondering what you would think of Death Stranding as that does some BotW like things as well.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread   Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 EmptyWed 2 Mar 2022 - 18:21

I haven't clocked a BOTW comparison at all, and I'm not a huge BOTW fan either. I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, it's just not special to me.

I just kind of think if you have bounced off souls in the past, there's nothing about Souls on Switch that will really change that. At least, not that I can think of. Whereas with Elden Ring, the way the game is structured is different. It is still obtuse for sure but there is also always stuff to do even if you aren't finding what you are looking for.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread   Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 EmptyWed 2 Mar 2022 - 20:08

I've just got this fancy to play a Soulslike and to play Switch, so basically Dark Souls Remaster.

Mate in work been talking about Elden Ring all day though, think I might get before Horizon Forbidden West though from my wishlist.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread   Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 EmptyFri 4 Mar 2022 - 16:00

Is Dark Souls really a Sooulslike? Razz

I do have a few criticisms of Elden Ring, now that I've spent a good chunk of time with it. I don't expect it to have map markers, or to do things we've come to expect from other open world games. But I do think it ought to have characters who give you a bit more direction. There are a few quest lines where you're told to check out multiple places, or to go somewhere specific, and then you won't be told again.

It's so easy to get lost in the game that not having something, or someone, which reminds you where to go for the side quests is a let down. Have to say though, the map is really well drawn. It's very clear where there are areas of interest are, and the distribution of grace checkpoints is very forgiving in the overworld. So even though I spent ages not doing the main quest because I didn't know where to go, I've discovered so much stuff.

I'm sure every encounter is manageable solo if you are good enough, but I do feel like, even if we're just talking about summoning spirits, this game has a fair number of boss battles where it feels like players are meant to summon help. I feel like there are also too many boss battles where you're dead in one hit. And this is playing as a strength dude, with high endurance and amazing armour. Part of that might be me doing things in a strange order.

That being said, I think it's still got that very soulsy quality to pretty much every boss whereby you gradually understand their weaknesses, the timing windows and that. I've often found that I've been too defensive. For some bosses being super patient is really handy, but the longer a fight goes on the more likely you are to get hit, so sometimes pushing the boundaries has actually been what led to me suddenly understanding how to deal with a boss.

But overall the game is still pretty immense. I'm still discovering unique enemies, and I just fought an absolutely top bants boss that was kind of tough but had a really unexpectedly amusing moveset.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread   Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 EmptyFri 4 Mar 2022 - 17:36

Muss wrote:
But I do think it ought to have characters who give you a bit more direction. There are a few quest lines where you're told to check out multiple places, or to go somewhere specific, and then you won't be told again.

There's one questline I'm doing right now where you're tasked with invading different NPCs and it actually sets map markers down where you need to go to invade these NPCs. It's such a breath of fresh air, especially considering how vague some of the other questlines are and how there's little to no chance of you actually finding where to go other than stumbling on it by chance or searching for the answer online. Some of them which I've stumbled upon have been crazy - I did one involving invading players and then finding "the blood of a maiden" which earned me a teleport item to what seems like an endgame area, considering I was picking up those consumable soul items and getting 12.5K souls per item.

I'm having an absolute blast with this. I'm playing a katana and sorcery build and I found a really good INT/DEX scaling katana from a nasty boss in one of the mines which is serving me nicely. I just killed my second big story boss yesterday and then went on a chain of killing seemingly important bosses that kept popping trophies, which felt good. I also managed to make up to the top of the map through what felt like a secret path, like I was taking the back entrance into Mordor.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread   Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 EmptySat 5 Mar 2022 - 6:34

Muss wrote:
I'm sure every encounter is manageable solo if you are good enough, but I do feel like, even if we're just talking about summoning spirits, this game has a fair number of boss battles where it feels like players are meant to summon help.

I sometime see messages like "requires co-op" before some boss fog gates and I'll be like "oh really? I think I'll solo this actually" Laughing

Jay wrote:
I'm having an absolute blast with this. I'm playing a katana and sorcery build and I found a really good INT/DEX scaling katana from a nasty boss in one of the mines which is serving me nicely.

Is that the.....

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread   Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 EmptySat 5 Mar 2022 - 8:19

Muss wrote:
I haven't clocked a BOTW comparison at all, and I'm not a huge BOTW fan either. I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, it's just not special to me.

Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 Giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47yaqhxebgys4ic23z4zjj7shpjy65y1s5r7ppxfqn&rid=giphy
I've called you my friend. On record.

I would compare this to BotW, and consider them both special, because they're the only two open world games I've played which feel like the whole world is made of level design, and where exploration is its own reward because its fun and the stuff you find is exciting to interact with, rather than jsut making a number go up.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread   Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 EmptySat 5 Mar 2022 - 10:04

Yeah how they handle the openworld is what seen compared. I'm not keen on openworld games that often, and especially how one game is handled.

Yet I brought up Death Stranding which Kojima himself talked about BotW, and the openworld how it's handled sort a similar. Yeah less to see but more about the freedom of how you get to a destination, with the tools you're given.

Not played Elden, yet if the same this is the tools given now go explore the world, might be grand.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread   Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 EmptySat 5 Mar 2022 - 14:21

Buskalilly wrote:
Muss wrote:

Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 Giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47yaqhxebgys4ic23z4zjj7shpjy65y1s5r7ppxfqn&rid=giphy
I've called you my friend. On record.

I would compare this to BotW, and consider them both special, because they're the only two open world games I've played which feel like the whole world is made of level design, and where exploration is its own reward because its fun and the stuff you find is exciting to interact with, rather than jsut making a number go up.

Laughing I'm sure we've had this conversation before. I do like BOTW it just isn't one of my all timers, I just don't go on about that lol.

I think the reason why I didn't clock the comparison is because I feel so much more focused on the combat, whereas in BOTW I would spend most of my time in the open world actively avoiding fights because of the weapon degrading system and the fact that you don't really get anything out of battling.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread   Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 EmptySat 5 Mar 2022 - 15:04

The_Jaster wrote:

Jay wrote:
I'm having an absolute blast with this. I'm playing a katana and sorcery build and I found a really good INT/DEX scaling katana from a nasty boss in one of the mines which is serving me nicely.

Is that the.....

Spoiler:

It is indeed! Cracking weapon - just struggling to find the upgrade materials I need to get it to +5!

Buskalilly wrote:

I do agree that Elden Ring really nails the joy of exploring the world and that being its own reward, like you said. That's where I felt the BOTW DNA bleeding through, for sure.

Muss wrote:

I think the reason why I didn't clock the comparison is because I feel so much more focused on the combat, whereas in BOTW I would spend most of my time in the open world actively avoiding fights because of the weapon degrading system and the fact that you don't really get anything out of battling.

Me and Andy spoke a bit about avoiding fights in Elden Ring last night and I can actually see his point that there often doesn't seem to be a great reward in engaging some of the enemy packs out in the overworld. Whilst Andy, in typical Andy fashion, takes it to the extreme and dodges overworld bosses, I'll still tackle the big boys and the packs of enemies clearly protecting worthwhile loot, like in the enemy encampments. I do think dodging the likes of the giant prawns in the swamp or the trolls dotted around Limgrave makes sense as the reward you get for felling them does not really feel worth it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread   Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 EmptySat 5 Mar 2022 - 16:45

Yeah I can see the overworld enemies being something you'd want to dodge. Like you, I pretty much take on any named enemy. I like getting loot in this game, and there are sometimes really good rewards. Whenever there are enemies I can't deal with I always try to return to them later.

But yeah, there are a lot of enemies that I'll sprint past. A lot of those trolls or giant enemies in the overworld I don't really bother with unless I've never fought one before.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread   Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 EmptySun 6 Mar 2022 - 7:24

I think it's the fact that the bosses in the overworld rarely give a good reward. I've already got the best Spirit Ash and Weapon, so unless there's some sort of quest item it's often a slog. I also find the bosses that aren't in arena's a bit of a pain in the arse to keep in a reasonable position half the time and I don't love horse combat.

I do still fight quite a few overworld bosses though, it's mostly reskins or bad areas that put me off. I'll probably plat it anyway so I'll have to go back at some point.

Anyway, enough complaints, I am still loving it, when I have a good day I have an incredible one. I think I've got 2 more big bads left now. I absolutely love the legacy dungeon areas, gives me the full classic Dark Souls feel but with the slickness of the newer combat. It took me a while to click entirely with the jumping, but there is almost always a Stone Sword key or something after jumping somewhere odd, giving an actual proper reward for my exploring. What a game.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread   Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 EmptySun 6 Mar 2022 - 9:59

Jay wrote:
It is indeed! Cracking weapon - just struggling to find the upgrade materials I need to get it to +5!

Ahh, the smithing stones for special weapons do seem quite rare (or I haven't been to the right place yet) as I feel like my Reduvia dagger has been at +5 for so long.

At least you only need 1 per tier though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread   Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread - Page 31 Empty

Back to top Go down

Elden SoulsBorne: Felyne Village - the FROM thread
Page 31 of 33Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next