We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Generic General Pokemon Discussion

Go down 
+18
NintenDUCK
Buskalilly
The_Jaster
Jimbob
oldschool
JayMoyles
Crumpy Andy
Admin
masofdas
Zaphod_B
Rum
Vidofnir
Cube
beemoh
shanks
ZeroJones
Balladeer
Athrun888
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 EmptySun 30 Sep 2018 - 3:38

I'm mostly joking, Balla, don't worry.

Well, as I'm sure you all know, I love all Pokémon, but naturally some animals are more equal than others.

First up, I have some definite overlap with yourself: Sandshrew is a cutie and Snorlax is automatically one of the best because he's a big sleepy bear. I also have to shout out Lapras, who I like somewhat but who is my girlfriend's favourite Pokémon.

For myself, Cubone is one of my go-to answers for my favourite Pokémon overall. I guess I like the mix of cute little beastie and Batman edgelord. Marowak's ghost in Lavender Town was the height of spookiness back in the day. There's also all the business with Kangaskhan.

There are some others I like. I've always liked Squirtle's line among the starters and Mewtwo for legendaries. Vulpix is very cool and fascinating, as I'll be going into soon and Eevee has a fun concept.

There aren't many I dislike. I don't fully understand the Balls Man's issue with Machoke, he's just a tough wrassler lad. I definitely have issues with Jynx, though. I'm hoping I can find someone to help me with that episode who isn't a straight white male.

Gengar is a banger, I can't argue with Jay on that one.

Mr. Mime is a weird thing.

Zubat is cool enough as a bat, though I can understand having an issue with its ubiquity. At least you can pretty much always knock it out with whoever's in top position in your party.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 EmptySun 30 Sep 2018 - 11:22

I would like to chime in more but 3 of 6 Pokemon that are in Drunka's vote are Gen 1 Pokemon that I'd just spoiling those here.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 EmptySun 30 Sep 2018 - 14:42

masofdas wrote:
I would like to chime in more but 3 of 6 Pokemon that are in Drunka's vote are Gen 1 Pokemon that I'd just spoiling those here.

You made the right choice Smile
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 EmptyMon 1 Oct 2018 - 12:41

Drunkalilly wrote:
I'm mostly joking, Balla, don't worry.

It's the mostly I worried about!  Behind every good joke...

Mr. Mime, bloody heck, I overlooked that one.  Horrible, horrible.  Excellent/terrible shout.  Bulba's cute enough: my first starter.  Like Drunka, I prefer Squirts.

Can't argue with Cubone, the backstory alone makes it a top choice.  The Eevee family's good, but got better...  As for Machoke, the pants are just weird on a large lizard.  It'd be like them picturing Nidoqueen in a bikini.

masofdas wrote:

Fair enough: are there any you don't like, Mas?  Therefore leaving Drunka's thunder where it is.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 EmptyMon 1 Oct 2018 - 19:31

I would say even the worse like a Zubat are okay compared later gens.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 EmptyWed 3 Oct 2018 - 12:52

The actually bad pokemon designs from gen 1:

- Seel... it's literally just a seal
- Dewgong... is still literally just a seal
- Grimer... is just a pile of purple ooze
- Muk... is also just a pile of purple ooze. Why does this evolution even exist?
- Voltorb/Electrode... two pokemon for the price of one novelty design
- Jynx... the blackface pokemon
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 EmptyWed 3 Oct 2018 - 21:04

Seel gets a pass because of its derpy tongue. Bobbins name though. I've always found that Muk gets a pass odd: I think it has slightly more attitude to it than the dull Grimer in its sprites. Definitely not good, mind, and deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as two of gen. 5 'Mons we'll inevitably come to later.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 EmptyThu 4 Oct 2018 - 0:03

I like Grimer and Muk! Slime monsters are hardly unique to Pokemon, and they manage to pull off goofy and fun, and then menacing. Alolan is definitely better.

Voltorb and Electrode are fun and meta and it is kinda surprising they were in the original roster.

Jynx . . . I am not looking forward to podcasting about. I'mma need a woman of colour to talk to for that one.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 EmptyThu 4 Oct 2018 - 9:21

My main problem with Grimer/Muk and Voltorb/Electrode is that they are essentially a single design duplicated. Voltorb is fun and meta, but it's evolution is basically a non-evolution. Half the fun of pokemon evolutions is seeing how they change and Grimer/Voltorb basically just.. don't.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 EmptyThu 4 Oct 2018 - 18:22

Generation 2: Black Metal

The lads and lasses:

In a bid to balance the perceived domination of psychics, Generation 2 added two new types to the mix: dark and steel.  We also got baby forms and extra evolutions, genders for all Pokémon (making Mr. Mime even more awkward), and... Sunkern.

Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 SneaselGeneric General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 UmbreonGeneric General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 EspeonGeneric General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 Quagsire
Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 Tumblr_mr71wpsnjw1szx1oxo1_500

My all-black-wearing days might have been some years off, but I was all over the new dark types.  Sneasel gets extra points for being a mustelid at a time when ferrets were my favourite animal, but Umbreon is also pretty cool.  We also got Espeon, who rivals Umbreon for best Eeveelution in my opinion; Quagsire, who is just the happiest dopiest fellow; and SWINUB THE ADORABLE SNUFFLY FLUFFBALL Love

Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 190-Aipom   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 185?cb=20170223052827Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 Sprxym157

Gen. 2 actually doesn't have as many monsters I don't like as Gen. 1: I guess they'd refined the process a bit by then.  (They didn't quite get them all right first time around, though: Animon still haunts my dreams. No )  Aipom's possibly the worst, and Pineco is straight out of the Rare 'chuck some eyes on an inanimate object' school of design.  Special (f)ire, though, is reserved for Typhlosion.  Cutie Quilava was the first starter middle stage I really liked: it then becomes this heaving huncbacked monstrosity.  R&B definitely had the better final starter forms.

Was Gen. 2 an improvement, or was first time the charm; and which monsters make you think that?  Over to you.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 EmptyThu 4 Oct 2018 - 19:35

How dare you talk about my buddy Typhlosion that way
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 EmptyThu 4 Oct 2018 - 21:02

Typhlosion is not my third-least-favourite design of gen. 2, but it is a big comedown from the cutie that is Quilava.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 EmptyThu 4 Oct 2018 - 21:24

I've got a lot of time for Gen. 2 - so much so that there's none of them that stand out to me as being bad or anything. Some of them are a bit dull - Stantler, mate, you're just a caribou, and Remoraid, mate, you're a really boring fish - but a lot of them in this generation are amongst my very favourites.

I won't get into detail again, but I particularly like Umbreon, Bellossom, Xatu, Mareep, Totodile, Ursaring, Scizor... I could go on, genuinely. god, I love this generation so much. They smashed it.

Actually, wait, there's Octillery and I hate octopi and therefore Gen II is actually the worst and they fucked it and how does a fish turn into an octopus anyway I mean really now THAT MAKES NO SENSE
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 EmptyFri 5 Oct 2018 - 0:39

I love Mareep and Ampharos. Not Flaaffy so much, but I guess that's just the awkward middle stage syndrome.

Meganium is also a brilliantly simple design. A dinosaur with essentially a mane made out of petals? Poifect.

I also liked Murkrow, Bellossom, Xatu... I think Furret is an unsung hero, actually. And though I'd agree that Pineco is a bit bum, I'd posit that Forretress is the most bum.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 EmptyFri 5 Oct 2018 - 13:41

The actually bad pokemon designs from gen II:

- None, every pokemon in gen II is well designed
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 EmptyFri 5 Oct 2018 - 20:50

I too have a lot of time for gen. 2, but saying there are no bad ones is definitely overstating it.  Look into Aipom's soul-eating grin. Look deeply.

Ampharos I'm keen on, Meganium not so much.  Xatu and Furret are belting choices.  I have no idea what the heck they were doing with Forretress, but unlike Pineco, it at least felt like they were trying.

JayMoyles wrote:
...Remoraid, mate, you're a really boring fish...

Actually, wait, there's Octillery and I hate octopi and therefore Gen II is actually the worst and they fucked it and how does a fish turn into an octopus anyway I mean really now THAT MAKES NO SENSE

Remoraid's a Pokémon that got much more boring since its beta incarnation.  Octillery likewise.

Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 Beta_remoraid_and_octillery_by_tveye363-dcd2h4q

You can see why they did it, they'd never have passed muster Stateside, but... still, a shame.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 EmptyFri 5 Oct 2018 - 22:06

Gen II seems like they put a lot of thought into everything. Except Unown. But good old Totodile! What an attitude to life to have. Good show.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 EmptyFri 5 Oct 2018 - 23:05

I love Totodile too - he was my OG started from Silver.

I don't mind Unown. It's inventive enough and I liked the mystery behind encountering them in the Ruins of Alph.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 EmptySat 6 Oct 2018 - 14:39

AIPOM IS EXCELLENT

Gen II is infallible as it introduced the most explicit and accurate bear.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 EmptyMon 8 Oct 2018 - 19:59

Totodile is good, agreed. I'm okay with Unown because of the mysteries behind it and the ruins, both of which are pretty cool. Aipom remains bobbins.

Teddiursa > Ursaring (runs)
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 EmptyTue 9 Oct 2018 - 2:19

I've changed my mind. This thread no longer has my blessing.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 EmptyTue 9 Oct 2018 - 12:00

I used to think that the names and designs of the Gen 1 Pokémon were the cleverest thing ever, but looking back, it turns out that I was an idiot child. There's some classic designs right enough, and many others that I'm nostalgic for, but stuff like 'Ekans' the purple snake, 'Koffing' the floating ball of poison, and 'Krabby' the crab are just bollocks.

I didn't really experience Gen 2 at the time, but I got a few packs of the imported Japanese trading cards right as Pokémon's popularity was starting to tail off at the end of Primary 7. I remember thinking that some of the design were a massive downgrade. Balladeer's completely wrong about Aipom and Typhlosion of course, but there were a lot of others - 'Slugma' the volcanic slug, 'Qwilfish' the nasty killer puffer fish, 'Stantler' the reindeer with antlers, that shitey two-headed CatDog giraffe, and others - that really screamed out to me that they were badly running out of artistic inspiration.

Some of the later day ones are astonishingly poor, just the type of complete nonsense that I'll never both to learn the names of. I had to look up Qwilfish and Stantler, but those were just a couple; in later gens, there's far more lazy and bad designs than there are good, in my opinion.

Be honest: how long will it be until we get a Pokémon comedy cock and balls, called Willysaurus? I'm guessing #1,015.

On another note, I think the moves have stayed quite good and creative. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 EmptyTue 9 Oct 2018 - 20:22

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:

Some of the later day ones are astonishingly poor, just the type of complete nonsense that I'll never both to learn the names of.

I'm with you on that one. Whilst I think there's still some cracking designs in the later generations, the bad designs reach a whole new depth of duffness compared to the shiters in the first few generations.

I genuinely thought this one was fake when I first saw a screenshot of it.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 EmptyTue 9 Oct 2018 - 20:40

I'm not.  I genuinely think Machoke, Voltorb, Grimer, and Jynx are up with some of the worst from the later gens.  Maybe not gen. 4 or 5 bad, not quite; but gen. 6 or gen. 7 bad, certainly.  

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
Be honest: how long will it be until we get a Pokémon comedy cock and balls, called Willysaurus?

Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 2484-Shiny-Palkia

Okay then: what do people like about Aipom that I can't see?  I genuinely think it's properly gubbins.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 EmptyWed 10 Oct 2018 - 3:55

You're all talking bollocks. Every Pokemon is great, you just weren't children when you saw them the first time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

Generic General Pokemon Discussion
Page 11 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next