We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~

Go down 
+15
oldschool
Admin
Treesmurf
shanks
The Cappuccino Kid
Jimbob
Vidofnir
ZeroJones
The_Jaster
Crumpy Andy
Balladeer
masofdas
Buskalilly
JayMoyles
Athrun888
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 9 EmptyWed 4 Mar 2015 - 9:30

That port was announced months ago Athrun not long after it came out on PS3 & VITA.

I will actually be buying it myself as I did miss FFX on PS2 and I never got a round to playing the HD port on PS3 or VITA.

Also you ask when some new and good games are out well Bloodborne is the end of the month, so let's go with that even though there has been a few already like the highly praised Shadow of Mordor which is on last gen but is a completely different experience on current gen.

I don't think lack of BC on either is a master-stroke making the consoles particularly the PS4 afford price at launch was also PlayStation Now has launched (In North America only at the moment) that a vast library of PS3 games are playable on that streaming service.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 9 EmptyWed 4 Mar 2015 - 10:05

I guess its announcement several months ago left such an astounding impression on me that it slipped my mind.  Ah well, it's never too late to have a crack at exceedingly lazy business practices! Smile
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 9 EmptySat 7 Mar 2015 - 21:17

Might please some game music fans
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 9 EmptySun 8 Mar 2015 - 10:44

Everyone seems to forget that the Resi HD game was a remake of a remake. It is getting a bit lazy.

I'm going to Rezzed next week. Anything on that list I should check out for anyone? (disclaimer: I'm going with friends/family, so time might be limited)
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 9 EmptySun 8 Mar 2015 - 10:56

Afro Samurai 2, I didn't even know there was a sequel coming
Beyond Eyes
Bloodborne, Because it's Bloodborne
Titan Souls
Volume

There's a few other good games there nothing really big apart from Bloodborne. Most seem to be things either out or coming soon also what system as Talos Principle is there but is that PC or PS4, I'd like to know what it's like on a PS4 and few others like that eg Smite on Xbox One.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 9 EmptyMon 9 Mar 2015 - 22:39

Ocassional reminder that Namco Bandai's decision not to port the Point Blank trilogy to the Wii is the greatest tragedy in gaming history.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 9 EmptyTue 10 Mar 2015 - 10:53

Those would of been great games to bring to the Wii U.

This I find amazing though, indie games getting special editions
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 9 EmptyTue 10 Mar 2015 - 14:58

That's not too mind-boggling, especially as they seem to be doing them retroactively and with proven indies that will sell.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 9 EmptySun 15 Mar 2015 - 13:34

In the Wii U VC chat we've been talking about Metroidvania games and I seem to not like hardly any in the genre. If you look up the genre it says something like it's a 2D game platformer which focuses more on action & exploration along with puzzles & backtracking etc.

Well we know there can be 3D ones like Prime and as Andy brought up for TRP the Arkham games are as well.

This got me thinking is there a game people think is one genre but could be another. As I think The Last of Us is a 3rd Person action game but again using Andy he brought it up as a Survival Horror for TRP which I can see why as you have the survive & there's horror.

Reason I don't see TLoU as a Survival Horror as it doesn't play like what I think a SH should be and that's proper Resident Evils which now thinking about it share a lot in common with the Metroidvania genre.

As take Number 2 you go to the police station where you have to explore, solve puzzles, backtrack after you got certain items to unlock different areas, there's boss fights all in this area or map.

I'm still going to continue to call RE a Survival Horror and that's what the gen re should be like but it might be more of a Metroidvania then anything.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 9 EmptySun 15 Mar 2015 - 14:19

In most Metroid-likes though you tend to unlock a skill/ability that let's you get to a new area & you also tend to get more powerful as you progress through the game, RE2 has none of this as you are always made to feel under equipped for the situation you are thrown into.

The worlds are also interconnected in these games which RE2 doesn't have either so aye it's still a survival Horror.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 9 EmptySun 15 Mar 2015 - 14:24

RE2 is all connected via the police station. I agree it's still a survival horror and what games in the genre be like but it does have some metroidVANIA tropes to it like how The Last of Us has some survival horror tropes.

I guess it depends on how far you want to explain the genre as TLoU could be a Story driven 3rd Person Action Horror.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 9 EmptySun 15 Mar 2015 - 16:01

Genres overlap. Surely we know this, after all the blood, sweat and tears shed over deciding what games like Super Monkey Ball (sorry Andy) are over in the voting threads.

Also, wasn't there going to be another voting thread? Still up for that if Cappa's still planning to host it! Bounce
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 9 EmptySun 15 Mar 2015 - 17:37

Not trying to be funny here mas but are you out for an argument or something? As it seems like you are with you putting the Vania part of "Metroidvania" in all caps.

I agree there are some elements of it in RE2 but it has some major ones missing that stop it being a lot closer than you seem to think it is.

(side note: calling it a Metroid-like makes more sense to me so that's what I call it, I've never said the other is wrong just that I prefer not to use the vania version.)

Last edited by The_Jaster on Mon 16 Mar 2015 - 0:00; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 9 EmptySun 15 Mar 2015 - 17:45

What did SMB end up as.

What did happen to Cappa's vote.

Not looking for argument but surely it's better to use the universally used term of Metroidvania then your made up one.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 9 EmptySun 15 Mar 2015 - 17:49

It's not like I've just plucked it out of thin air it's a play on the genre name "Rogue-like" & Metroid has been the same through every single game Castlevania hasn't.

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 9 EmptySun 15 Mar 2015 - 17:59

Agree but it's kinda like calling all platformers Mario-like or whatever came first just because it's the first.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 9 EmptySun 15 Mar 2015 - 22:10

It wasn't really established as a genre until Symphony of the Night came along, and Castlevania has stuck to that formula pretty rigidly since, hence Metroidvania.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 9 EmptySun 15 Mar 2015 - 22:33

I call them Citadelpalaces
(attempts to diffuse tension by making lazy preictable reference)
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 9 EmptySun 15 Mar 2015 - 22:45

SOTN is the best game in the genre. I've not played much of the vanias before that are they much different as always here good things about them.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 9 EmptyMon 16 Mar 2015 - 0:56

I've only played a few. Portrait of Ruin is pretty good, although they're all very very similar.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 9 EmptyMon 16 Mar 2015 - 0:59

masofdas wrote:
Agree but it's kinda like calling all platformers Mario-like or whatever came first just because it's the first.

Nah, that'd be dumb because that genre is easy to explain and surely it's only fair if a genre name isn't nailed down when someone creates something genuinely new or not done before to name it in some way after the game that created it.

Anyhow as I already said it doesn't bother me what folk call it.

EDIT: I couldn't help myself and googled the terms Metroid-like & Metroidvania and I found this interesting thread on the escapist forum, seen good points for both sides of the discussion so far.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.871748-Metroid-vania

Last edited by The_Jaster on Mon 16 Mar 2015 - 17:17; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 9 EmptyMon 16 Mar 2015 - 3:31

Yep, great discussion in that Jas. Laughing The more of it I get, the stranger it feels, yeah.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 9 EmptyMon 16 Mar 2015 - 17:18

My bad the proper link is there now. Embarrassed (On a side note the Kiss from a rose defence is a strong defence Winky Face )
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 9 EmptyMon 16 Mar 2015 - 17:23

I did not read Jays post properly this morning, now I am chuckling away to myself in the corner at work. Brilliant!
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 9 EmptyWed 18 Mar 2015 - 22:45

Jimbob's Rezzed game thoughts are haphazard and therefore in a spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~
Page 9 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next